Compushare Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Compushare Founder, President & CEO Romir Bosu
Romir Bosu

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "I wish Compushare the best"

Former Employee - Financial Systems Consultant (Systems/Network Engineer) in Modesto, CA

I worked at Compushare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I absolutely loved the people I worked with and the clients were top notch.

Cons

When the banking industry took a downward turn they had to reduce staff.

Advice to Management

I was pushing the adoption of VM's and it seemed to me they were very slow to adopt the technology. My advice would be to seriously look at new technology.

"Overworked and Under-resourced"

I worked at Compushare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Able to make great connections within the financial institutions the company serves

Cons

Senior management views technical staff as little more than an expandable resource that is easily replaceable once burned out by the long hours and unrealistic expectations. Middle management is a revolving door of ineptitude.

3. "Lots of work and travel, good for self-motivated people"

I worked at Compushare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was an Financial Systems Consultant at Compushare for a year. The job involved mostly SME Windows Systems Administration along with some Network Administration tasks for multiple clients with multiple sites on an either scheduled or intermittent basis. The work tends to be bungie-cord style where you get in, quickly figure out what needs to be done and then achieve as much as possible before you move on to the next client. Occasionally you may get a multi-day project at a single site. I was based in the Southern California region and had clients from San Diego up to San Luis Obsipo. They pay fairly competitively for mileage per-diems for overnight stays to help offset the travel. Hotels when needed are booked for you by HQ but were usually good quality. The company provided some basic training in the Financial industry that they specialize in and encouraged acquirement of industry standard certifications. There was a commission structure in place for new business that you were able to persuade your customers to buy.
    Overall pay (salary plus milege, per-diem and occasional commisions) were competitive.
    Nice HQ staff, they made efforts to build company spirit and branding.

Cons

99% Travel (Exceptions only being occasional corporate meetings and training sessions) - If you can't hack this don't bother with this position. (This is why I left in the end.)
    Although mileage is paid for the travel time is not. If you have to be on a client site at 8am on Monday morning and it's a 5 hour drive that is your Sunday afternoon you will be losing to get there.
    Little practical chance to earn commissions. This is because every client already has a sales rep and they have already pitched them every service Compushare has at some point, so even if you persuade them they need one later on the sales rep gets the commission, not you.
    Little interaction or support from other team members. Due to the nature of the job you are working alone most of the time. Each FSC in the region tends to do things however they think is right. You will be the Tier III support for their remote customer service team with little else to back you up if anything goes wrong.
    Intrusive corporate management. Whilst I was there an effort was made to push out a managed desktop security service. It included (at least on my workstation) a root-kit style hidden monitoring utility. I found and killed it and they never tried to push it back out but it didn't endear the management to me.

Advice to Management

Consider rotating on-site and off-site work so no-one has to be constantly on the road if they don't want to be.
    Encourage more co-operation and knowledge sharing between FSCs and provide better a back-end support structure.
    Adjust commission structure to expand opportunities for the engineers, possibly by sharing commission with sales.
    Don't secretly install rootkits on the laptops of people you have hired specifically because of their high-end Windows engineering skills and who are supposed to be working in secure environments.

"Managed service provider for small financial institutions"

Former Employee - Financial Systems Consultant
    Former Employee - Financial Systems Consultant

I worked at Compushare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Every day is different, you meet a lot of great people at the clients. Most positions are remote in nature, which is a strong draw for many. You are basically the "IT guy" for multiple different organizations and the primary escalation point in the field.

Cons

They are more focused on creating vendor lock-in and increasing billable hours than doing what is necessarily the best for the client.

Advice to Management

Focus less on short term profit and metrics and more on doing what is right for the client if you were in their shoes, the profits and relationships will naturally follow.

"Very poor"

Current Employee - Team Lead in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Irving, TX

I have been working at Compushare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good team members that really try hard to do a good job. The people that I worked with were good people, putting in long hours and doing their best for the customers.

Cons

Management was the VERY large draw back to this company. You either worship Romir and his ideas or you are out. They treat the service desk like they are staffed by idiots and they pay them like that too.

Compushare Response

Jan 28, 2013 – Human Capital Manager

We at Compushare value all feedback, good or bad; we continually strive to improve the employee experience for all our Professionals.
    Our talented group of Service Desk Professionals are led by... More

"A stressful environment where employees are treated as commodities"

Current Employee - Service Desk Professional in Irving, TX

I have been working at Compushare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Compushare makes it seem like it is easy to advance in the company, and I have seen this perpetuated in some areas, and falling short in others.

Cons

No communication between departments. Employees are treated as commodities that are easily replaced. The workload is unrealistic, and the tools used to perform daily duties are sub-par. The pay is sub-par, even the benefits are mediocre. Clients experience high wait times, and are frequently disappointed with the quality of service, adding a nice ambiance of disdain while trying to support clients. The service desk is frequently understaffed, and by the time they hire someone to help, someone else leaves or is fired.

The days are long, and the work is hard. There is always more work to be done, the moment you start making headway there is always more, so I often end up "taking my work home with me" and have a hard time enjoying time off due to focusing on what is going on at work.

There seems to be a lot of office-politics, people like to butt into one another's business and it causes dissent among coworkers which has affected work performance and client satisfaction, I mentioned this to management and it seems to remain unadressed.

The company likes to put a lot of "policy" and "procedure" into effect, expecting employees to adhere, yet they do nothing to actually enforce these policies.

Advice to Management

There is MUCH work to be done. Start at the top and work your way down. You have a great selection of hard workers who know what they are doing being led by morons who seem like they were only given the position because they were the first person available.

"Be prepared to be over worked."

Former Employee - Manager in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Irving, TX

I worked at Compushare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The technical people at Compushare are second to none. They are friendly, technically sound and willing to help.

The ability to work from home is a nice touch BUT mind you this is a double edge sword. On one side you can log in from home to get some work done. On the other side you will be working all hours of the day and night. I have worked for close to 24 hours straight many times, weekends and put in plenty of unpaid free hours.

The technology is fairly new and cutting edge. You will gain some valuable technical skills.

Cons

The expected hours are completely ridiculous. If you are an exempt employee expect to work 60+ hours a week, every week.

Projects are given a very short unreasonable time lines that require you to work overtime/weekends to complete. These projects are assigned without consideration to the current workload of the technical person executing.

From what I have seen there is very little room to move carrier progression. I have spoken to people still in the same position for 7+ years now.

I hope you like meetings because most of your time will be in them.

Management seems to think that technology and more management will fix everything. They don't seem to understand that every new system is another system to support.

Troubleshooting time is slightly tolerated.

The place is a huge revolving door for employees. I have seen a lot of good people come and go.

Health benefits are expensive.

Advice to Management

Stop taking on new clients until you can properly support them.
    Stop patting yourselves on the back and give credit where it's due.
    Stop running your technicians into the ground.
    Stop saying Yes to new projects until resources are freed up to give them attention they need.

Prop your teams up by giving them the tools and time to succeed.

"A good place to learn a ton, but you will be underpaid."

Current Employee - Service Desk Professional in Irving, TX

I have been working at Compushare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are a ton of technologies to learn and they are currently pushing to make it a better place to work, but they have a long way to go.

Cons

The service desk is a stressful place to work and always will be. Also, shifts range from 6 AM to 8PM, but be prepared to get the bad shift which is 11-8 (1 hour unpaid lunch).

9. "If you want to work with the best of the best, work here."

Current Employee - Senior Technical Staff in Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Staff in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at Compushare full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The greatest thing about working at Compushare has been watching my ideas become reality. I have had the privilege of working at Compushare for over 10 years, and I have been able to be involved with almost every aspect of the company. I feel my ideas are valued and many of them have become part of Compushare's culture, environment or products. I have had consistent growth in my career and love coming to work each day.

Secondarily, when the last recession began to hit, I was so glad to be a part of the Compushare family. I had complete faith that the company could survive the impending doom, and while many of my friends and former colleagues were being laid off, Compushare took care of its employees and did not lay off a single one. Compushare's management team are professionals and I had no doubt that we could thrive in the down economy.

Cons

There is only one con to working at Compushare, and that is the expectation of hard work. If you want to slack off and hide in a cubicle this is not the place for you. The upside to this is that you don't end up working with a bunch of slackers who are just trying to do the minimal amount of work for the maximum amount of pay. Being someone who enjoys to work, I usually end up with all the work in that type of environment. Not pulling your weight is not tolerated.

Advice to Management

This is a great place to work, keep it up!

10. "Fantastic place to learn and grow"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Compushare full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work among the smartest and most dedicated professionals. The company is a leader in the space and is way out in front from a technology and market perspective. The company is very agressive and the culture is one that attracts people with that same drive.

Cons

People are asked to do a lot. People at Compushare want to work hard, but it's not for everyone. The culture is a sink or swim type atmosphere. If you're weak, it is sensed immediately, and there's not a lot of room for weakness.

Advice to Management

Do more to bring the disparate groups together as one company.