Computer Information Systems (Illinois) Reviews | Glassdoor

Computer Information Systems (Illinois) Reviews

Updated Jun 28, 2018

Found 5 reviews

3.7
Computer Information Systems (Illinois) CEO Michael Yefsky (no image)
Michael Yefsky

"Great place to work."

I have been working at Computer Information Systems (Illinois)

Pros

Small company with a strong family like feel.

Cons

What con could there be if you love your job?

Computer Information Systems (Illinois)2017-05-28

"Gr8 family oriented business"

I have been working at Computer Information Systems (Illinois) full-time

Pros

* You've been treated as a human and not as a number. * Perks from here on end * steady work place with good strong work secured. * Fun people to work with. * Lunches and treats almost on a daily base.

Cons

* Sometimes stick to old policies but nothing to make big impact on the day to day activities.

Advice to Management

Keep on the good work

Computer Information Systems (Illinois)2018-06-28

"Avoid working for CIS, particularly in support."

Customer Support Specialist in Skokie, IL

I worked at Computer Information Systems (Illinois) for more than a year

Pros

Some of the staff members are very nice and genuine people who are great to work with. Management often buys lunch for the staff.

Cons

The support team has hundreds of unresolved support tickets, with dozens more being added everyday. Management instructs employees to lie to clients to make it seem like there is a call center staffed 24/7. In reality, after business hours, all calls get sent to a single employee working from home with a laptop in poor condition. During an on-call rotation, there is a three day period where you are expected to be at... the office, in addition to taking the overnight calls, even if you were up all night answering calls. Once a week, management asks you to write a weekly status report and to include any issues you may have with the company. Whenever I would bring up any issues in my weekly status report, instead of listening to my concerns, they would call me into a meeting to try to invalidate my opinion. For example, one week I saw two different staff members cry after coming out of meetings with management. In my status report I mentioned what I had seen and that I thought morale was low. I was brought into a meeting where I was yelled at for not having the authority to know how others felt at the company. Management at this company will micro-manage every little detail of your work. For example, I was called into a two hour meeting because I had a typo in a ticket (which is only seen within the company and not by clients) where I missed the 3rd ‘t’ in statute. Once I was in a meeting with the CEO of the company. He shared a story with me about how he has a friend who is a really good plastic surgeon, but because of his career’s stress, he now suffers from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. He argued that poor mental health was a consequence of being good at your job, inferring that if I had any mental health issues it was just a sign that I did good work. The office is in disrepair and is poorly organized. Many of the walls and ceiling tiles have water stains from the roof leaking onto them. At one point, the roof began to leak on the company’s servers and networking equipment. The leak was never fixed; instead the equipment was moved onto folding tables away from the leak. There are two fire extinguishers in the ‘data center’/training room that expired in 1987. Basic creature comforts are also missing from the office. For example, if you need tap water you have to use the sink in the bathroom; there is no sink in the (very cramped) breakroom.

Advice to Management

You need to improve your management style, on call requirements, and the working conditions of the office if you would like to keep and hire quality support staff.

Computer Information Systems (Illinois)2015-09-22

"Good job with great benefits."

Former Employee - Software Developer in Skokie, IL

I worked at Computer Information Systems (Illinois) full-time

Pros

Employees are recognized and the pay is better than average. Everyone is pleasant to work with. On occasions where there was a lot of work and we were too busy to go out for lunch, food got ordered so that everyone could have lunch. If you have a doctor's appointment the manager is accommodating and there are never any problems if you need to take days off. As long as you work hard and do your job management... supports you 100%. You work as a team and if there is something you don't know they will teach you.

Cons

The building is a bit old fashioned without amenities.

Computer Information Systems (Illinois)2014-06-04

"Very pleasant environment for an entry level developer."

Current Employee - Software Developer in Skokie, IL

I have been working at Computer Information Systems (Illinois) full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pleasant working environment with computer equipment that promotes productivity, large working desk, and comfortable chairs. Flexible deadlines when appropriate. Senior staff gives advice in a friendly and helpful. Management provides learning and development resources and will consider new resources when requested. Development manager is a highly competent developer, friendly, understanding, and personable.... Company is actively working towards converting flagship program's legacy code to .NET code. Free snacks and, on occasion, free lunches for all staff by upper management. Absolutely free health care, dental care, and life insurance that does not come out of your pay.

Cons

Database design is not normalized. Have to work with legacy code at times. Paid once every month. Certain staff will be on call for 24\7 for 1 week every 6-8 weeks. Executive manager may come off as strict and stern at times, however he exhibits genuine interest and care for his staff.

Advice to Management

None, keep up the good work.

Computer Information Systems (Illinois)2013-10-10