Confluence Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

Mark S. Evans

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great company"

I worked at Confluence Technologies full-time

Pros

Enjoyed the employee-first outlook of the company. Able to grow personally with access to the new gym and service opportunities.

Cons

Department was very cliquey. Lack of training caused problems to complete job appropriately.

Oct 9, 2017 – HR Specialist

Thank you for the time that you spent at Confluence and for providing feedback on your experience at our organization. Confluence’s new headquarters at Nova Place has allowed for expansion upon the... More

2. "For the most part it was good"

I worked at Confluence Technologies full-time

Pros

Benefits, Employee events and gatherings

Cons

Watch your back, unfortunately a lot of micromanaging. Things were not like that when i first started.

Sep 11, 2017 – HR Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your experience working at Confluence. I am glad to hear that you recommend Confluence and that you enjoyed the time you spent at our company... More

"Confluence Confusion"

Former Employee - Business Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Confluence Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The dress code is very casual, there is free ice cream and usually free food lying about, and the building was really cool.

Cons

No Training - Sink or Swim Atmosphere
    Lack of Upper Management Support
    Programming and Equipment is Archaic and Buggy
    Expected to be Neither Heard nor Seen - Heads Down Working
    Office is Kept at Sub-Zero Temperatures

Advice to Management

Update the programs and train your staff. Nobody seems to know what they are doing and upper management has no clue what their staff does. It's embarrassing. Also, CEO's son works as upper management there? That is not stereotypical.

Apr 19, 2017 – VP - People

I would like to start by saying thank you for the time you spent at our company and for the time that you spent writing this review. I’m sorry that you did not have a more pleasant experience at... More

4. "Bigger is Definitely not Better"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Confluence Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was worried about accepting an offer from a company that was 5% the size of my former employer, However, what I discovered is “bigger is definitely not better”. At Confluence, it was much easier to acclimate to the culture, build relationships with colleagues and work on meaningful projects whiling making changes for improvement.

Prior I had five levels of management that I had to propose and suggest new ideas or changes to, which could take over a year to see any movement. At Confluence, I report directly to the COO, he is intelligent, a change agent and empowers his entire team to use our expertise daily, while challenging us to continually improve what already exists. I have never had so little to complain about at an employer, and it is no longer a chore to come to work. It is an honor to have become a part of this motivated, driven (and fun) community of colleagues.

Cons

Culture awareness training for all employees, which I am currently hoping to implement in 2017

Advice to Management

Keep empowering employees to learn, grow and see improvement/change as a bonus and not a risk.

Apr 19, 2017 – VP - People

Thank you for the feedback. At Confluence, one of our main objectives is to be an employer of choice where talented individuals want to work. Your feedback lets us know that we are on the right track... More

"Agile PM @ Confluence"

Former Employee - Scrum Master in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Scrum Master in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Confluence Technologies (More than a year)

Pros

As part of Confluence's Agile PMO, my experiences were fantastic. Our team functioned as a close group. We worked to make sure that our own projects were on track, as well as help each other adhere to Scrum best practices. Our manager created an environment where we could find innovative ways of solving problems.

Confluence has over 250 employees, and been in business 25ish years. Even with the company's long history, the Agile PMO still has the feel and freedom of a small start-up.

Additionally, I was able to work with CTO and COO. Seeing them operate, and understanding their decision process was both enlightening and inspiring. It has provided me with real examples of how to lead an organization to drive results.

Cons

My experiences with Confluence were exceptional. However, I attribute a large part of that to my direct manager, and our entire roll up through the COO. I felt like they were directly invested in our joint success. I don't think it would be unfair to say my experience may not exist everywhere in the organization. That's okay, but as the company continues to grow, managers will need to focus on how they engage and develop their teams.

This is also a fast paced environment. From the moment I set my bag down on the desk, to the movement I left for the day, there was always something to do. For me, that was actually a "pro." I thrive in high energy, high expectation environments. That said, I can also understand how others might not be looking for this type of environment.

Advice to Management

I think management is doing a great job navigating Confluence into new spaces. The company is growing at a rapid pace, and is poised to make some significant waves in the emerging Regulatory Reporting solutions industry.

That said, I think the biggest opportunity would be to offer up ownership options for employees. It was a hard decision for me to leave Confluence. Having a truly vested interest in the success of the company would have made the decision even harder. It may have even prevented me from even entertaining other offers.

"Great Place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Confluence Technologies (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great medical befits and a management team in PS that helps those that are willing to try. I have worked at Confluence fore than five years, and have had many jobs in PS. It is a difficult environment with a lot of pressure, but has been the best learning experience I have ever had. The work/life balance needs more work by management, but all and all is a great place to work

Cons

More Training, recently hired a Full time person to help with this, but more outside training would help. Sales is an issue all they do is talk negative about PS and devalue what the team does for company. They Talk One Team but is all bull Sales wants nothing more than to dump and run on PS.

Advice to Management

Keep sales out of the day to day work being done

"Good experience but good riddance"

Former Employee - Business Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Confluence Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked with a lot of great people at Confluence throughout my three years there as a consultant. If you are willing to completely dedicate yourself to this company, you will get opportunities. Health benefits were above industry standard. Business trips (if you are a good consultant) get paid for when traveling and they are pretty lenient on your expenses. At least they were a few years ago.

Cons

Where to begin... Firstly, there are a lot of "fluff" reviews on here for them. So be leery of that. Absolutely no work life balance. None. Terrible compensation with respect to the work you do. I was brought in at 35k and in three years working for them and becoming a very valuable and reliable (top) consultant, I never got above 45k. I make almost double that two years after leaving... Leaving them only showed me how underpaid and underappreciated I really was. I was one of the best consultants they had at the time. They will give you lip service up and down about "Oh just stick with it and you'll get taken care of." I literally had that spoken to me for three years and it never happened. Management will just lie to your face. It's sad. There is also some extremely blatant nepotism there. I was there when a colleague of mine was sexually harassed by another employee (among a slew of other things) and nothing ended up happening to the employee because of who that employee was related to in the company...just awful... It saddens me because there are some AMAZING people who work their. But that is just overshadowed by greed and nepotism and a complete lack of respect for there employees. I felt bad for contractors because they got treated like absolute crap when I was there, and in reading some other reviews it looks like that hasn't changed. I will say I don't think CEO Mark Evans is completely aware of how bad it is in Professional Services (the department I worked). That all gets filtered out by the few layers of management before it gets to him. Oh, but all this is totally fine because you get to wear jeans... Hooray... Goodbye, thanks for the experience and memories, but I would never ever work there (Professional Services) again. I know other departments aren't nearly as bad, by the way.

Advice to Management

Management needs cleared out and completely replaced.

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

Confluence is a great place to work! The work/life balance is the best of any company I have worked in my 20+ years working. Management is supportive and open to new ideas, they consistently encourage career development. The software dev/qa team is very talented and professional, every day I am highly impressed with the solutions and functionality I get to validate. The company has a culture which encourages frequent employee activities.

Cons

nothing much to share here

"Terrible experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

Casual dress code. Semi relaxed environment.

Cons

Got little to no training, and did absolutely nothing my first two weeks at Confluence. Employees would just tell me to surf the web or do anything to keep myself busy. People are too busy to help you or train you. Project managers are petty, and condescending, underestimating the amount of work and effort it takes to complete a project. No one is even allowed to complain about the company because then they just use your own criticism against you. Some employees who have been there for a year can complain about you and get their way into getting you dismissed. Contractors get treated like crap. Most do double the work full time employees do, and get no praise and are instead told to work harder. Full time employees are condescending to contractors, and boss them around even though they were in the exact same position. Contractors work overtime and don't get paid overtime. No work life balance, people easily work more than 16 hours a day sometimes.

Advice to Management

Get it together. Management itself is no help and offers little guidance to employees and they are often left to their own.

"Publishing Department"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

Dress clothes not required
    Always left over food from some meeting somewhere in the building

Cons

The person who wrote "the good people work with their heads down" and "the culture is bullying" is absolutely correct. Project quality constantly lacks and turnover amongst project managers and analysts is high.

Advice to Management

They've been functioning in a dysfunctional manner for so long that I doubt any advice would make any sense to management.