KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Former Employee

Great place to work

Nov 20, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Challenging, fun environment with smart people

Cons

Hours can be long, but it’s worth it

2. 5.0

Amazing people! The best company I've ever worked for

Nov 3, 2015 - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

The team is simply amazing: smart, fun, caring, and willing to go above and beyond to help out. It's clear the founders have tried really hard to bring on only the best people that not only will do great work, but will also fit well with our unique/funky/quirky culture. I feel like I have a lot of flexibility in my role to focus on what's most important; I'm not micromanaged, and I've had the ability to take on more and more responsibility as the company has grown. We're super transparent as well. I can talk to anyone in the company -- including the CEO -- about anything that's on my mind, and no question is off limits (for ex, everyone knows how much cash is in the bank and the founders regularly report on our fundraising efforts and revenue growth metrics). I've worked in a big company and small startups, and Contactually is the best hands-down.

Cons

The company is growing fast and we've had our share of issues. We try so many new things that it often feels like there's always something broken or a process that's not quite right, and it can be frustrating. But I think that's normal.

2 people found this review helpful

CEO

Thanks for your comment, and appreciate the kind words about me! Yes, as we've scaled we have had our fair share of issues. Part of the reason why we're bringing on more senior advisors, investors, etc is that they bring with them enough experience and scar tissue that we can predict what's coming down the pike.

3. The latest conversations about Tech

Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great people, Great product, Great company - we're on a rocketship

Jan 21, 2015 - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

The biggest pro is the people that I get to work with every day. At Contactually, I am intellectually challenged, my peers push me to be a better employee, and I have a lot of responsibility. In addition, the culture is pretty amazing - laid back and chill, but a GSD mentality - the employees really believe in the value of the product and the direction of the company. Lastly, the product is game-changing. We believe that relationships power great businesses. Contactually empowers great relationships. I've been in marketing for ~5 years now, and I have never seen a product quite like Contactually - it truly has the potential of being a $1B business.

Cons

Work/life balance is tough to actually achieve if you want to meet your goals. Sometimes, I feel like there is process/structure for the sake of process/structure, which can be a problem. For instance, I don't think we allocate human capital as efficiently and effectively as possible, as individuals can sometimes be "siloed" in their roles. Lastly, the work environment can be stressful at times, but luckily there are dogs at the office to relieve stress.

CEO

Appreciate the words of wisdom. We definitely want every employee to feel valued for their performance, especially when they exceed expectations. We try and make every day both meaningful and fun. And all of your cons point out something very important that all candidates should understand - we're a startup. And with a startup, as we grow - there are a lot of things that will and won't work. What is important is that, as I hope you can agree - we strive to gain awareness of what's not working, and work hard on fixing them! That's where you come in.

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Never worked in a more empowering place

Oct 27, 2015 - Inside Sales Representative in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people are amazing and will become your friends very quickly. We care about culture and making sure we have fun opportunities to celebrate the our wins with retreats, company happy hours, birthday/anniversary parties, and even the odd trip on pirate boats on the Potomac. There is lots of room for growth and everyone is interested in helping each other reach the next steps in their careers. You have a ton of autonomy to work from home/remote whenever you want and take vacation whenever you want. Everyone just expects people to do good work. There is lots of feedback given to you and lots of opportunity to give feedback to the leadership of the company who genuinely care about everyone's happiness. Transparency is big for the company as well and most everything is shared with everyone, save what everyone is making. The company is about to take a huge leap forward in the next couple of years. The company is going to be hiring aggressively and looking for the best people DC has to offer in the Tech and Startup space.

Cons

It's still a start up and their are plenty of growing pains. Everywhere you look things could be done better with more people and more money. The pay is a little below market right now but it looks like that will be changing soon.

CEO

Thanks, that means a lot to me! The growing pains are real, but I think we're getting better at predicting and managing them. And I hope you've seen more recently that we have adjusted our pay, now that we have better access to market data. We always wanted to, and will commit to, paying people above market.

6. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Excellent human beings

Dec 6, 2017 - SMB Account Executive in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

-legitimately excellent human beings from the top down. the extent to which the CEO cares about the people he works with is nothing short of inspiring to be around. -people throw the word "culture" around a little too loosely... but Contactually gets it right. it's not about the snacks, dogs, happy hours, founders day, etc (although all of these things are wonderful), it's about the way people treat one another. it's a genuine team effort to "be excellent to one another." -leadership views you as an investment they're excited to help grow rather than a disposable drone. they make sure you have the best technology available to you, tirelessly train you, and most impressively genuinely listen to you.

Cons

-promotion paths are clearly laid out, but amended often... can leave you feeling like your target is moving. -goals/quotas changed drastically month to month, were at times entirely too easy to hit and at times nearly impossible

3 people found this review helpful

CEO

Hi there! Incredibly thankful that you've taken the time to craft such a thoughtful response. We have invested a lot into making sure our best asset - our team - is as strong as possible. We'll never rest on our laurels though, and expect every employee to be just as much a contributor as a recipient of our culture. Your feedback regarding promotion paths is fair, as is your point about goals. We always try and reflect what's best for the team and the current state of the company, and not let either fall stagnant. That means, as we learn and grow, mistakes may happen. So while we've never had a time where the majority of our sales team didn't hit goal, I hope you find we are very receptive to feedback, and have made course corrections quite often.

7. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great benefits and lots of opportunity to build up your resume

Feb 10, 2016 - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Contactually recently raised its Series A so has money to invest in the product and its people. The company is highly focused on growing revenue and reducing churn. If you have an idea and present its value, you will be supported in testing and implementing it. There is a lot of room for professional growth because there are so many things to be done. You will have the opportunity to work on projects and make impacts you wouldn't be able to at a more traditional or established company. The benefits are also great: Unlimited vacation, flexible hours (depending on your role), good health care and 401k, pre-tax transportation deductions from your paycheck, and a small professional development budget.

Cons

As with many startups, it's sometimes hard to find support for things you need done. The company is a bit under-resourced still in some departments so you may have to do some things yourself that you wouldn't have to in a larger, more established company. For example, if you need a piece of marketing done, you may have to do it yourself or outsource it (which the company will pay for) because marketing is overwhelmed with other work. There needs to be more communication between divisions so divisions can work together. That said, the company is definitely working on this, and if you bring up a serious need (it'll be upon you to bring it up ... it won't necessarily just be addressed from the top) and push for change, it should be addressed.

CEO

Thanks for all the kind words - glad you are overall supportive! And yes, as with any company but ESPECIALLY a startup - resources are always tight (we could hire/outsource everything we need but that wouldn't yield the quality we demand). As with any growing company, separations between teams grown, but we've made a lot of efforts that you may not yet realize to combat that (for example, we have an awesome relationship between sales and marketing that most companies envy). I'm in line with you though that this is something we want to keep an eye on.

8. 5.0

A Great Place to Work!

Feb 10, 2016 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

The team is a pleasure to work with and the company’s values are front and center in everything we do. One of those values is to be excellent with each other, which is evident in the work product as well as office camaraderie. I truly appreciate working with intelligent, motivated and caring people that believe in our product and core values. There is a mix of veterans who know the business in and out and new hires that bring outside experience to our growing company. The willingness of those who have been around longer to share their knowledge allows newcomers to be brought up to speed and contribute quickly. We have terrific people, fun perks and a great office made even better by all the dogs that join us on a daily basis.

Cons

As a quickly growing company we work in a fast paced environment that is constantly building and improving processes. Not really a con but there is a great deal of work on everyone’s plate so be prepared!

CEO

I'm so happy to hear this! Agree - we don't hide that we have ambitious goals and really challenge our employees. I think we're pretty good at managing the amount of time people work so we don't have 80+ hour weeks. But you can challenge people without requiring insane hours!

9. 5.0
    Current Employee

Very happy so far at Contactually

Oct 22, 2015 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

I've been at Contactually for a month and have been very pleased with my experience so far. The on-boarding process was smooth and everyone was very pleasant and willing to help a new hire adapt to the company culture. I feel like employees are given a significant amount of autonomy in their roles. Creativity/out of the box thinking is encouraged and recommended. People also truly seem to have a passion for the product and company, which is a welcome change from previous employers. The atmosphere is relaxed. Dress is casual (jeans are ok), dogs run around the office and lunch is catered weekly. I would certainly recommend Contactually to people looking to start their careers in the tech / start-up world.

Cons

As the company expands, some things get lost in the shuffle; however, management does want to improve and is willing to listen to employee suggestions. Compensation is good but not great. The dogs pee on the floor at times.

CEO

Yeah, the dogs can sometimes be a pain, and we actively police that (even me - the CEO - my dog can be a PITA, and I reduce his annoyance in the office). We of course have adjusted our compensation to be more in line with market.

10. 5.0

Weekdays are my weekends

Nov 12, 2015 - Inside Sales Representative in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

The culture is something to be revered. No, seriously. There isn't another place in the DC area who empowers their employees more than Contactually. If you are looking to grow, or you don't know what you want to do with your life, the Contactually family will not only provide you resources to figure it out... they demand that you challenge yourself and explore all avenues for your professional growth. People here are the hardest working people I've ever met. We work around the clock because we believe in our vision. We know we're going somewhere big. The leadership sit amidst the whole Contactually family and work harder than anyone. No micromanaging here. You better get your work done and party afterward.

Cons

If you're looking for a 9-5, this isn't the place for you. We are encouraged (paid bonuses, actually) to take vacation, but it's hard because this place rocks, and everyone has a full plate to make this place work.

CEO

I'm so happy to hear that! We work our butts off to make sure we set you up for success. But we really DO want you to take vacation :-)

11. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Truly Exceptional

Feb 10, 2016 - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Contactually is not my first startup rodeo. However, it is the most transparent and honest incarnation of any company I've experienced. The founders are thoughtful caring leaders. They're smart and considerate about the investments and hires they make. There are a bunch of super-smart, hard-working and reasonable people here. That's hard to find in any company, let alone a start up.

Cons

Like nearly all tech companies, there's a lack of diversity in both people and thought. They've committed to improving, which is a good first step, but they're not there yet. They're also trying to figure out the best target market to scale the company. They've got a good market right now, but that's not going to be the one to take them to the next level. Once that gets figured out, this rocket ship is really going to take off.

CEO

Re: Diversity - this is a big area of improvement, I completely agree. And I don't want to burn time talking about how we need to and how we will - we just need to show it. Lots to learn still, and nothing but opportunity to improve and challenge ourselves. Re: taking a step back - that's been the hardest lesson for a workaholic like me. But appreciate the support there. Maybe I need to actually take a vacation....

Viewing 1 - 10 of 39 Reviews