Contiki Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.0
Casper Urhammer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Former Tour Manager, Current Product Manager, Contiki USA"

Current Employee - Former Trip Manager, Current Product Manager, North America in Anaheim, CA

I have been working at Contiki full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A life changing experience to say the least in every way, shape and form. You're expected to give your all, but that's not hard when you work for a company as inspiring as Contiki. I saw sights that consume me, met people that inspired me, and learned lessons about myself that I will carry with me forever. If you are thinking about applying for Contiki...just do it. Take a chance on a lifestyle that will open your eyes to the beauty that surrounds you and will teach you to look at the world in an entirely unique way. The stories I have are more about the passengers that I met than anything else. It's amazing seeing them open their eyes to that new way of seeing the world, and watching them fall in love with my country made me love it in a way that I never thought possible. I know some people think Contiki is just a booze cruise...just a Peter Pan lifestyle, but truthfully I had never had more responsibility in my life. It was the most incredible experience watching some shy, or awkward passengers transform into outgoing, confident, and inspired people over the course of a tour. Anyone who thinks Contiki is just about the party hasn't been paying attention in the slightest. I expected to work one summer as a TM. 5 and half years later, I've finally come off the road and am now working as the Product Manager for North America. I can honestly say I am a better person for having worked for Contiki. Now in the office, the vacation time and benefits are great, especially compared to the national average. I'd give it 6 stars if I could. The current management team for Contiki USA consists of former Trip Managers like myself, so there are opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Tour Managers (now called Trip Managers) do deal with a lot of stress. The time away from family and friends is difficult, but what you get in return is worth the time away. This is a lifestyle, not a job. It does take a certain type of personality to really thrive, so being a TM really isn't for everyone, but for the travelers out there, I can't think of a better way to explore. It's not a job you can do forever, but there are definitely opportunities to advance in the company into other roles, just as I have.

Advice to Management

Benefits for Trip Managers would be a great addition. As they are seasonal employees, this isn't always possible, but the job does take its toll. As the current management team consists of former Trip Managers, they are aware of this. An option for TM benefits would be a great addition if possible.

"Learn A Lot. Make Very Little."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anaheim, CA

I worked at Contiki full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You will learn a massive amount because the team is so small, but that also means that you will be doing jobs above your pay grade. My manager was probably the best part of working here; during the weekly one on ones I really got to express things I was struggling with (although I didn’t take advantage of this to the full extent I should have) and so she helped fight some battles for me. The flexible hours and work from home days are extremely unique and a really great bonus. There's a pretty good work/life balance at Contiki and if you worked long hours the day before, your manager will be understanding if you come in later or take off a little early. Additionally, since you learn so much here, at your next position you can start at a much higher level and make far more (I made $20k more at my position immediately after leaving Contiki, which I couldn't have done had I not learned so much and taken on so many projects while at Contiki).

Cons

The pay and raise structure is terrible. There are almost no performance bonuses and there’s a serious lack of team building and bonding. I didn’t feel appreciated by executive leadership because they have limited insight to what people actually do and how heavy their task load is. For being a young company, it doesn’t feel young due to the ownership and how closely it’s tied to the sister companies.

If you want to learn a lot, but suffer financially, this is a good company to work for, but I never found that my workload and the depth of my responsibilities was fair to my salary. To gauge the difference, the salaries for the same position at other companies in Southern California (with less tasks, as my friends held those positions) started at $5-10k more than I was making... and after a year and a half, there was no raise or title change option, despite the clear understanding of how much my role had changed from the previous employee and the quantity and quality of work taken on.

Advice to Management

New hires need to go through a better training process and should get sent on a local trip so that they at least understand what Contiki is about, rather than waiting a year to send them on their true educational trip. Take more time to do team building activities and show better appreciation for your employees. Give small bonuses- gift cards, surprise lunches, even a "Thank you" card. Upper management needs to have more insight into what their employees tasks are, so they can be better appreciated at all levels. Be more open to creative ideas, rather than constantly reinventing the wheel or sticking to what has been done. Contiki really needs to tap into its own employees for ideas and to understand the demo, because some of the upper levels simply don’t understand and aren’t as in touch with things. Encourage the team to live by the core values and embrace them throughout the campaigns and company, rather than just talking about them.

3. "Good but not Great"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anaheim, CA

I worked at Contiki full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a fun, young company to work for. Work attire is causal.

Cons

Since it is a young environment, it can feel like high school with people aligning themselves in cliques. Also, they do not offer competitive salaries or benefits because they don't need to. With a relatively young workforce people tolerate the low pay in exchange for the youthful/casual environment. It's a good place to start your career but not somewhere to stay long term.

"Contiki may be a fun vacation; work here at your own risk."

Former Employee - Web in Anaheim, CA
    Former Employee - Web in Anaheim, CA

Pros

Great co-workers, top notch HR department, casual dress work enviornment

Cons

Lack of imagination, creativity, poor management, extremely high employee turn-over.

Advice to Management

Be more in tuned with your employees and sincerely care about employees' growth and advancement. The new Director of this department managed to turn around an entire team within 5 months because of unsatisfied employees, but yet she is still there. This proves how much Senior Management sincerely cares about their employees. The Director failed to provide guidance, long term goals, and direction to the department and is merely a do'er, not a manager. Planning is non-existent and works only on an ad-hoc basis.

5. "Great company!"

I worked at Contiki full-time

Pros

Dynamic and positive workplace and culture.

Cons

Part of a larger organization where flexibility and agility may not be as easy as if it were it's own small company.

"Fantastic company to work for!"

I have been working at Contiki full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, reasonable pay, team atmosphere, fun product to sell. Contiki is owned by TTC (The Travel Corporation) which is a family of brands- definitely room for growth within the company. The target market for the Contiki customer is 18-35s, so as you can imagine, it's a young and fun company to work for. You can start here in an entry level role and work your way up into a big career. Lots of employees are passionate about the brand and it's a happy work environment. Good work / life balance.

Cons

I have only been here about a year and cons are difficult. Incentive plan could use improvement and targets could be more realistic. That can be said about most jobs in the travel industry.

"Marketing Director | US Region"

I have been working at Contiki full-time

Pros

Working for a travel company that is a young and fun brand allows me to embrace my creative and conversion- oriented mind frame. Contiki allows me to explore new ways to connect with millennials and travel agents through developing effective marketing strategies while defining the overall direction and goals for the marketing department. I have the opportunity to collaborate with the executive leadership team on how we are going to deliver our product in ways that will satisfy our customers while ensuring business goals and objectives are taken into account. I am also privileged to work with a dynamic marketing team of experts who help develop and implement tactics to reach our audience by carrying out these strategies. Coming from the digital agency world, although there are a lot of moving parts and the need for marketing to support many other internal departments with their requests, there is a healthy work/life balance that I am appreciative for at Contiki.

Cons

Contiki has a few antiquated systems in place that are currently being revamped. I'm eager to witness how streamlined the company will become once implemented. These new tools and software will allow us to leverage data and analysis further in order to make even better decisions than we do today.

I would love to have a little larger budget to implement even more team building activities or gift cards to hand out when team member(s) exceed expectations during strict deadlines or a major campaign launch. We usually get 1 team lunch a month but surprise and delights every once in a while are great to have as well to show appreciation and to keep morale up.

Advice to Management

Perhaps conduct more regular quarterly reviews with the whole company so everyone is aware of goals, where we are tracking and what we still need to achieve so that everyone is motivated and feels like a part of the company more regularly.

When kick starting a major systems integration project within the Contiki brand and/or TTC, it would be best to involve department managers at the beginning of all discovery sessions to ensure all requirements are being documented especially since there are so many moving parts - work as one big team rather than silo brands.

8. "Reservation Agent"

I have been working at Contiki full-time

Pros

Fun atmosphere, great support system, chances for promotions, all around great place to work.

Cons

The Commission structure is on the low side. For a 10k booking, you can literally only make about 10 bucks.

Advice to Management

Increased pay or better commission rates would leave less turnover.

"Down to earth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bromley, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bromley, England (UK)

I have been working at Contiki full-time

Pros

I work with like minded people who care about their work and the brand which is a real motivator. I feel challenged and comfortable.

Cons

Location can be a nuisance. Salary could be more. Bromley south. Company culture makes up for it.

Advice to Management

The management are great. Hands on, approachable. Could be better development processes in place but great management.

"Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Contiki full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing company culture, incredible work-life balance, super fun place to work.

Cons

Not for the faint-hearted. Be prepared to work really hard and do loads every day.
    Salaries could be more competitive.