Coraid Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Kevin Brown

"Great go to market team"

I worked at Coraid full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

sales and marketing culture was awesome

Cons

cto and engineering was terrible

Advice to Management

past performance does not always reflect future performance

2. "Quality Engineer"

Former Employee - QA Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - QA Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Coraid full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friday Beer Bashes - they start at 3, or whenever someone takes the first shot! Also, they don't just do beer and wine, they do hard liquor too!

Cons

Poor leadership, no vision, almost every quarter in 5 reporting financial losses.

Advice to Management

Replace them all.

3. "Not great"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Coraid full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people in the rank and file

Cons

Poor technology strategy
    Seem to be trying to flip the company

5. "Product Manager"

Former Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager in Redwood City, CA

Pros

Flex work schedule, lack of mico management. great view out the window, decent benefits, was growing at a time. fun team envronment

Cons

Lack of product vision, directionless ship, very very very painful commute, redwood city. growth tepid,

Advice to Management

change all but the finance guy

6. "Mediocre CEO, weak engineering, no products"

I worked at Coraid full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Historically good at marketing and sales but nearly all the business-centric talent has quit.
    HQ office is nice but expensive.
    George office is cheap but little value.

Cons

CEO is a sales-centric general manager who delivered mediocre results at both Mu and NetApp, his previous jobs.
    Engineering mgmt is clueless on what to do.
    Engineering ranks have little to no storage talent (verify via LinkedIn).
    No technology advantage (Plan9 is a joke, ZFS belongs to Oracle).
    AoE is actually slower than iSCSI (sad but true, facts were confirmed in lab testing, latency better with iSCSI).
    Pricing is no longer an advantage for Coraid's cheap and deep storage. Now just expensive and slow storage with no unique features.

Advice to Management

Recommend cutting costs, recapitalize and find a new product-centric CEO that will bring real engineering talent, and find a buyer for the company. That is the best case scenario to get something besides a bankruptcy for this 14 year old startup that is irrelevant in the storage market.

"Management focus is on protecting themselves from blame, not delivering a quality product."

I worked at Coraid full-time

Pros

Great co-workers, interesting technology, and some of the most astounding raw potential of any company I have ever worked for.

Cons

Exceptionally poor management in the Engineering branch, increasing attrition/loss of experienced and reliable employees, unclear direction and poor decision making.

Advice to Management

To put it simply, the current management structure in Engineering is inept, and obsessed with looking good to other departments -- not actually doing a good job. Managing up well and managing down poorly are not a good combination, especially when management delivers unclear directives and doesn't understand the technology that they should be working with. Practices like making technicians apologize to managers who make mistakes or ignoring the advice of experienced staff on hiring choices foster a feeling that the management is indifferent to the actual teams doing their jobs.

If Coraid cannot ditch these managers, they will drive the company into an early grave -- but the sheer volume of long-time employees jumping ship should attest to that.

8. "You really can't find a better, more promising job in the QA or development fields."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Athens, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Athens, GA

I have been working at Coraid full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You won't find a better group of people with whom to work, regardless of which coast you choose (I happen to be at the Athens, GA location). Everybody has a great work ethic and you'll find that your contributions REALLY COUNT and are recognized. Respect for the individual worker is paramount, and especially considering jobs I've had in the past ... this alone is a rare and invaluable commodity. Executive team is top-notch and are very communicative/personable ... none of the "head in the clouds" stuff or superior attitude you get with execs at so many other companies.

Cons

As other have said: Coraid is currently a startup of sorts. Things can get pretty hectic at times, but I personally don't think that's a bad thing.

9. "Fast-paced start-up engineering environment using Agile methodologies to design AoE data storage solutions."

Current Employee - QA Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - QA Engineer in Redwood City, CA

Pros

The engineering group is dedicated, but also has fun. Good communication. Not a quiet place. Engineers are talking to each other, while on the other side of the room Sales are talking to customers on the phone. We hear sales being made in real-time. Very exciting! This also makes for immediate feedback as to which features need to be prioritized.

No politics here. Everyone pulling in the same direction.
    There is a clear mission, and that is to go public in a big way.
    Every Friday the company buys lunch and we teleconference with our Athens office to get the latest scoop from the execs, so every employee knows just how the company is progressing.

All engineering effort goes into actual product design and testing. We have very short product cycles with a good balance of schedule vs risk. No dinking around in engineering planning meetings all day and not being able to get your work done. And the Engineering VP makes sure everyone has the equipment they need.

And the technology truly is the wave of the future for Data Storage. ATA over Ethernet (AoE) communication using typical network switches gives line saturation speed with port redundancy for free. It's all about elegant SW design here starting with company founder Brantley Coile (who designed and coded Cisco's PIX firewall and NAT appliance).
    We actually saw and got to say hello to Ken Thompson (who created Unix with Dennis Ritchie) when he visited Brantley. Geniuses are just walking around here, which is a great learning opportunity for me!

Cons

It's a start-up, so you get what comes with a start-up.

We work long hours, but it's fun seeing features getting implemented in days and weeks instead of months and years (like at a large company).
    Also Engineering cubes are in the same room with everyone else, so some engineers wear headphones to deal with the noise.

The bay area location is mid-Peninsula near Oracle, so depending on where you live there could be commute issues. I'm in Sunnyvale so it's about 30 minutes each way if I drive. But there is a shuttle from the train station that services these office buildings, so I do that sometimes.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!
    Product marketing, keep us on the right track. Engineering keep executing. And we will all keep those Sales folks landing bigger and better deals.

"Terrific, innovative, friendly, hard-working, love your job company!!!!"

Current Employee - Director of Marketing in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Marketing in Redwood City, CA

Pros

The people here are smart, friendly, easy-going, listen to new ideas, respect each other and not into the political BS that has made so many other companies a nightmare to work for. The exec team knows what they're doing and are poised to lead us to the promised land.

Cons

Growing fast - so you have to be comfortable working in this type of environment.

Advice to Management

You push us when we need it, reward us when we deserve it, listen to us when we ask it. The best companies are the ones where the employees will follow you anywhere - so far you're on the right path.

11. "professional services"

I worked at Coraid (Less than a year)

Pros

travel opportunites
    customer engagement
    integration challenges with pre-existing customer infrastructure

Cons

travel
    lack of company direction
    desire to develop custom OS.