Cowan Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Joe Cowan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I did that through hard work, a positive attitude, a willingness to learn more, and a fair boss (in 7 reviews)

• When asked about my work environment the first thing that comes to mind is the environment within the office (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • No one holds this Manager accountable for their actions (in 5 reviews)

• Upper management sometimes gets too involved in the details (in 5 reviews)

1. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Department Manager in Halethorpe, MD
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Halethorpe, MD

I have been working at Cowan Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Competitive Pay
    Medical Benefits
    Nice offices
    Professional Attire required by all
    An HR team that cares about concerns
    Stability

I started at an entry level position and even though I'm not "related" to anyone within the company I worked my way up to Manager. I did that through hard work, a positive attitude, a willingness to learn more, and a fair boss.

Cons

The trucking industry in general will bring all types of people into your work life, some easier to get along with than others. That's life, and does not reflect the company as a whole. The industry can also be very honest/brash, which can be hard for some people to take. Again, not the fault of the company.
    I personally have had no cons.

This job is what you make of it.

Advice to Management

More company sponsored events to increase overall morale and bonding of departments.

2. "Responsible for the safe operation of CMV"

Current Employee - Regional Safety Specialist in Uxbridge, MA
    Current Employee - Regional Safety Specialist in Uxbridge, MA

I have been working at Cowan Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a family oriented company. The schedule is great it's created according to the needs of my terminals. I get to travel quite a bit.

Cons

No structure nor is there any accountability as far as driver's not meeting company or federal guidelines and or policies.

3. "Best Trucking Job I've ever had."

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Burlington City, NJ
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Burlington City, NJ

I have been working at Cowan Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They really do care about their people. You work for them they will work for you.

Cons

Nothing against the company but I drive mostly in the Northeast.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work...and thanks!

4. "Great Atomsphere!"

Current Employee - Driver Recruiter in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Driver Recruiter in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Cowan Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is always encouragement and guidance from management to reach personal and company goals. Friendly, hard-working and encouraging work environment.

Cons

With being a recent graduate from college, I do not have any cons for my management at this time. They are always there to support me.

Advice to Management

At this time I feel that my manager and surrounding team are always there to support me. I do not have any further advice for my manager.

5. "Happy to be here!"

Current Employee - Recruting & Retention Specialist in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Recruting & Retention Specialist in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Cowan Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been at for the past 3 1/2 years. Over that time, I have been treated with nothing but respect from my co-workers and upper management. Overall, it's a great team environment and I am very happy with both my hours and pay. Looking forward to continuing my career at Cowan Systems.

Cons

At this time, I do not see any cons of working here. I feel that my opinion is well respected and my management team is always looking for ways to help me succeed.

Advice to Management

Management is very good at helping and encouraging employees. At this time I have no additional advice to our management team.

6. "A Great Bunch of People!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Cowan Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Interesting work, important work, great co-workers

Cons

none, none, none and none. (Is that 5 words?)

"Lack of Leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Cowan Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Grateful for the job, leadership, and life skills that I was able to acquire during my time there. I also worked with and developed strong relationships with many coworkers throughout the company.

Cons

The billing department is currently being run incompetently. A manager came in with negative feelings about many individuals within the department. Instead of focusing on learning the ins and outs of the department, the priority was on putting those people down. I was one of them and therefore had many conversations about how no one “liked” me and I shouldn’t have been in the position I was in based on that, not my skills (not to mention this manager didn’t know what I did on a daily basis). Every time I would ask for advice on bettering myself as I wanted to grow the manager could/would not provide any suggestions. The lack of leadership apparent in the examples above is hurting the department as there is no guidance in personal employee growth or management/betterment of the tasks of the department. Instead decisions are based on feelings and emotions rather than actual fact. My knowledge of the company and the billing department wasn’t utilized as I continuously sat in meetings about either nothing relevant or at the end of the meeting there was no plan to put the meeting topic into action. You left a meeting with certain expectations from what was discussed only to be told that nothing was to come of it. Once this manager was put in this position, hard working employees became discouraged to continue good work ethic as delinquent employees were held to a different standard showing extreme favoritism. I took these concerns and more to upper management and HR on more than one occasion only to be dismissed; the only advice was to let things eventually work itself out. My opinion, my concerns, my job insecurities were not important to them. The support system is lacking in immediate and upper management.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, beyond the managers. Take all concerns into consideration because even if it’s not a “big deal” to you, it is to them...and you end up losing said employee along with their knowledge and skills. Which ends up being a problem for the company as it suffers from losing those knowledgeable employees and their skills. And hold managers accountable for their actions and their jobs; their jobs should produce results and a well functioning department.

8. "Operations manager"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Cowan Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Ability to learn and grow if you have the well to do so

Cons

Health care costs are in my opinion high then the co-pays are high as well, you have 3-4 options not sure if it is due to the affordable health care act or not - it has always been high

Advice to Management

bi-annual reviews with employees will help comunicate strengths and weaknesses

9. "Terminal Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Cowan Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great support system and will help with safety issues

Cons

Dont have any right now

10. "Great Company!"

Current Employee - Marketing & Social Media Specialist in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Marketing & Social Media Specialist in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Cowan Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Been here eight months -- absolutely love it! Great culture and great people.

Cons

No cons at this time