D-Link Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Douglas Hsiao

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Also deal with HQ in Taiwan can be stressful" (in 3 reviews)

• "loading high ,low salary , not much fun, boring and" (in 4 reviews)

1. "Accountant"

I have been working at D-Link full-time

Pros

Great company, I feeling like a part of family.
    Good benefits, Fair pay.

Cons

Nothing that I'm aware of

"Vice President"

Former Employee - Special Assistant in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Special Assistant in Irvine, CA

I worked at D-Link full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible working time. Nice working environment. No political games. Great support from the top management team. Nice people in the company.

Cons

The company is lack of international business experience. Most of the staff don’t know how to deal with international customers.

Advice to Management

The management needs to hire more experienced RD, PM, and manufacturing leader for international business. They also need to travel more to visit customers abroad.

"Avoid At All Costs"

I worked at D-Link full-time

Pros

Not a ton of pressure. Casual dress environment. Some smart people. Despite the long list of cons the lack of resources and training helped me learn more in a short period of time than I ever have in my professional career. Being thrown into the deep end with minimal swimming knowledge isn't 100% terrible.

Cons

Where do I begin? D-Link is a perfect example of how not to run a company; especially in the technology industry. Completely incompetent leadership almost entirely across the board that does not listen to those employees who bring up actual hard evidence of issues that are actively harming the company.

Be prepared to get disparaged behind your back by management as well. There was constant bashing of employees and other leaders yet almost none of them directly faced these people or issues to try and genuinely work to improve conditions. Deflection of blame and unwillingness to face real problems and attack them head on is the norm here. So much for a company being run by "adults". This management environment was much more like a gossipy high school clique.

HQ is in Taiwan and really the US office is just a glorified sales outlet. While a lot of issues (namely product) originate from HQ with a leadership that has no idea what it's doing in the American market, the US-based leadership does absolutely nothing to help. Between these two, budget cuts are the norm, layoffs happen at least once a year, and even the smallest requests for budget and resources to do what should be considered normal parts of a role are denied.

This company botched several product launches during my tenure. Retail partners do not want to carry anything from this company in store and as such most things are online only, with the vast majority of said products carrying poor reviews. For good reason. DUS knows what they're selling is often times complete crap.

Unfortunately, working for this company felt like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. I will be very surprised if this office is still open within 2 years barring a serious shakeup and turnaround in the leadership of this company.

Oh by the way, almost no one in the company (possibly outside of management) has received a raise IN YEARS, regardless of job performance.

Advice to Management

I really don't know what else to say to management. While HQ gave them poor hands to begin with, they did absolutely nothing to try and make something of them. The only thing that will save this company, in my opinion, is clearing out the majority of the leadership team that have created a boring and oftentimes toxic work environment

"Growing Start-Up In a Big Company Body"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at D-Link full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture full of people who go the extra mile to not only outperform at work but create a fun workplace.
    Great management that work with all functions to develop goals and give insight from HQ in Taiwan.
    Willing to try new things and invest when necessary.
    Passionate about their products and their employees' success

Cons

Building is outdated.
    Processes are governed by HQ in Taiwan.

Advice to Management

Continue to create a fun work environment by making more hires based on more than skills - focus on their cultural impact and how they can contribute to the "new D-Link"

"Culture Shock to say the very least"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Fountain Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Fountain Valley, CA

I worked at D-Link full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of freebees. Good relationships with co-workers.

Cons

At D-Link you are dealing with a Chinese company. What that means is everything from the most mundane decisions on up is made at the company HQ in Taiwan. All problems and issues are sent up the line and you just have to wait for someone at the top to make a decision. The company is micro-managed from Taiwan on virtually every issue.

You find yourself working late into the evening so you are able to converse with the HQ time zone most days. Concepts of initiative, improvisation, decisiveness, innovation, and resourcefulness are anathema to them. D-Link is a company that values process over results. Management are largely drones, devoid of any ability or desire to think on their own.

It doesn’t matter what the company fails to accomplish so long as the procedures are followed. It is a classic case of a lot of followers and few leaders. No one at the managerial level seems to question anything or look for improvements. There is no “hey, do we really need to have a Friday meeting where all we do is compare lists manually over the phone for two hours with Taiwan? Can’t we just email it to each other and do an automatic spreadsheet comparison in thirty seconds?” it is more like “this is what they told us to do and how to do it, and we’ve been doing it for years, so we keep doing it.”

Americans don’t usually last long at this company. This company works you long hours at sub-standard pay and benefits. When I had my review (late as it was) the only thing my manager was concerned about was how long I was there each day. My accomplishments were secondary to this. All that seems to matter is that you put in a lot of hours, regardless of what you accomplish there. The higher-ups at this company obviously do not understand the American workplace, workforce, or market and have no desire to learn any of them.

Honestly, I took the job (with a big pay cut) because I couldn’t find anything else at the time. It was a ‘transitional’ job till I found something better. I asked around, and found that a good many of my co-workers had similar stories. D-Link doesn’t invest or pay enough to their employees to make this anything more than that. The company does not hold its employees in very high regard, and will have massive layoffs every time there is a bad quarter. No long-term goals with employees. A company does not value its employees, so there is no real employee retention and certainly no job security.

At best, this company is a stopover on the job hunt. It is not a place you want to end up for any length of time. I would suppose this would be a good company to start in right out of college, but that’s about it.

Advice to Management

Allow the US operation to run itself. You are too controlling and do not understand the American market. Allow for independent actions.

"Managment non existent"

I worked at D-Link full-time

Pros

Can be boring. Not sure good or bad thing.

Cons

Meetings all day. Talk the talk but don't walk the walk. Most meetings are not productive.

"No future"

Former Employee - Former Employee in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Former Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at D-Link full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Casual dress everyday
    Good work life balance
    Lots of open office space
    3 weeks PTO after 1 year of employment

Cons

low pay, with minimal raises and no bonuses
    minimal room for advancement
    Management's response to declining revenue is to always layoff staff. Management needs to get rid of itself for any meaningful changes to occur in the future

Advice to Management

Allow US to operate independently of headquarters in Taiwan. As long as people in Taiwan think they can run a US company, the company will also lag behind its competition

"Good environment, most work is sales and marketing."

Current Employee - Marketing in Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Orange, CA

I have been working at D-Link full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly employees, good working schedules

Cons

No motivation, employees are isolated from the management.

"Challenging environment"

I worked at D-Link full-time

Pros

Partner logistic compliance, good benefits, timely expense reimbursement.

Cons

Poor product development and launch processes, poor end-user support, does not test/vet products prior to launch.

Advice to Management

Ensure products are ready from a HW/firmware perspective, focus on user feedback for mobile apps and HW improvements

"Product Manager"

I worked at D-Link full-time

Pros

Not much here, clock in and clock out when you are full time. No bonuses. Cheap upper management.

Cons

No more product management team. All outsourced to Taiwan.