KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Found 359 of over 398 reviews

4.3
D2L President & Chief Executive Officer John Baker
John Baker
Pros
  • "Work-life balance is a key focus in the organization, and mental health is actually taken seriously(in 42 reviews)

• "You’ll meet some great people depending on the department you work in(in 21 reviews)

• Cons
  • "No pay transparency, high turnover, long decision making processes, disorganized leadership(in 12 reviews)

• "Some senior leadership unable to recognize their impact on turnover and the well being of their staff(in 9 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great company for higher ed to private sector transition

Sep 14, 2021 - Learning Strategy Consultant
      Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent culture in terms of how we work with clients, transparency of leadership, interest in championing client success

Cons

It was a whole new world for me coming from higher ed into corporate when it came to billable hours, selling and that kind of thing - without a lot of support to make that transition successfully

2. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Great company to start your career.

Sep 11, 2020 - Cloud Infrastructure Administrator
      Business Outlook

Pros

- The people and my recent managers were the reason why I stayed for almost 7 years. - The technology you're exposed to and have at your fingertips is amazing! - Flexible hours - Free snacks - Dogs - Free gym - RRSP matching

Cons

Even though the Pros listed is great, the compensation at D2L wasn't. Compensation is my main Con. I took a large pay cut to come to D2L as a NOC Admin. I earned two title promotions but the salary didn't reflect what the market value was for the position. Even my manager at the time knew this and told me we don't pay the market value. They said the only way to get a good raise is to look for another job, get an offer, and see if D2L will match/beat it. This was true as I saw many people do this. Based on the GlassDoor review responses they evaluate the pay multiple times a year? I was never informed of this but maybe this would only occur if you made a stink about your salary. What was discouraging was seeing them hire outside for the same title as you and they would pay them 10-20% more than you. Yet you're doing more work than them or even their work. Good for the new hire I guess. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed my time at D2L(...other than a micromanaging Director). D2L got me to where I am now but I saw a lot of good talented people leave cause they got what they deserved for compensation outside....including myself.

3 people found this review helpful

Former Employee

Working in the D2L sales organization

Apr 11, 2021 - Sales
      Business Outlook

Pros

- $1,000 stipend to purchase home office equipment when you start as a remote employee - Home Office internet subsidy - Chief Revenue Officer is solid.  Successful guy with experience and best of all....a great person who cares about your success and well-being.  - Fantastic recruitment process via internal recruiter.  Welcoming, appreciative of my joining, etc.  - Equity options - Growing company and well positioned for current market environment of remote learning. - Fun-fast paced environment. - Tremendous proposals team that helps with RFP responses and customer documents to help support the sales rep out in the field. - Solution Engineer team is phenomenal.  Reps are assigned to very capable Solution Engineers that are great people, great to work with and led by  managers that understand the sales process and are super supportive.

Cons

- Sales leader is young and lacks mature seasoning. Has a disposable attitude about people more so than other sales organizations where I've worked. High turnover. - CEO touts this mantra about "Doing the best work of your life" but the sales organization plays by different rules.  While CRO is solid, other long-timers run the show day to day and make questionable ethical decisions.  It's all about the win. - Working a very large deal with a Sales Leadership Team member and the prospect pulled me aside saying this sales leader is like a used car salesman. Asked for my opinion on how to navigate the relationship. - Brand recognition is non-existent and leadership doesn't seem to address.  Although most of our market opportunity in North America is the US, we continue to be known as the Canadian LMS and certain geographies aren't aware of who D2L is.  - Company completely operates out of Kitchener, ON regardless of your remote location or time zone. - Sales reps should go work for a company that enjoy writing commission checks.  D2L leadership seem to look for legalities to avoid it when possible.  - Zero autonomy as a sales rep to approve deals.  EVERYTHING flows through one individual in finance to approve deals.  Great people in finance but this isn't sustainable and causes delays.  Customers are often waiting on quotes. Not nimble enough. - No Flexible Spending Account option - 4% company match on 401k is decent but have to wait 1 year before that match is made.  - Only $50 per diem when traveling.  When I first started, my SE and I would travel and it was advised to do separate checks.  Have even been at events where there were 4-5 of us and all did separate checks.  A little tacky and felt like I was in high school splitting checks at a restaurant. - Liberal Canadian culture really comes out in full force. The liberal mantra of tolerance and acceptance of all doesn't apply to those on the other side of the aisle.  Interacting with Canadians all day many of which are in leadership positions. Side comments about the social issues of 2020 or Trump's border policy, gun control, etc.

2 people found this review helpful

SVP - Strategic Accounts

Sincere thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback and thanks for calling out the work our CRO is doing (coming into his fourth year)... he is great and continues to make strides to improve overall sales culture/a number of the items you called out. We aren’t there yet but we are improving and recognize there is still lots of work to do (including a lot of hiring – finance resources included!) We all agree more coaching for our new managers is a good thing and I’ll take to heart/reflect on your comments on long-timers (as an eleven-year senior sales leader ). Really appreciate your direct comments regarding diversity and equality – we are super focused on providing an accessible, diverse, fair environment and will continue to invest in improving those areas. Turnover is actually the lowest it’s ever been in the sales org in a long time so I think some good progress - we are committed to investing in our people and culture so that our employees really can do the best work of their life. I’d love to chat with you to learn more if you would be up for a confidential chat – just email me. Sincerely, Adam Moore SVP – Strategic Accounts Adam.moore@d2l.com

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

D2L is an awesome experience. Wonderful company & team!

Oct 14, 2020 - Senior Director, Channel Sales in Bend, OR
      Business Outlook

Pros

The company is mission driven. We are focused on instigating a revolution in education and bringing learning to every learner. The company is well structured and positioned for growth. We are investing in our people and teams to position the company for growth in our three main segments (K12, Higher Education, and Corporate). I have enjoyed my experience thus far and am excited to continue to build the company and our sales team scale via the Channel.

Cons

None so far. The usual challenges of any growing organization. The key is that the company has a culture that allows for open communication in order to help solve challenges.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee

Growing company

Oct 15, 2020 - Sales Enablement
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture, fun and caring people, great mission and values, great benefits

Cons

We are all remote right now and miss going to our offices

7. 5.0

Great place to work!

Nov 8, 2019 - Customer Success Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

I left a job with 20 years tenure to work for D2L and a year later I am so happy I made the move. What I love so much about D2L is that I am trusted as an employee to approach my clients in the way I feel is best for them but I also have the luxury to fall back on my management team if I run into challenges. My colleagues and my manager are always so supportive and helpful. It makes my work so enjoyable! What's not to love!

Cons

Being a remote employee I don't get to participate in Cake Day! I'll survive but it does hurt.

1 person found this review helpful

Senior Corporate Recruiter

Thanks for the awesome feedback! I could not agree more! Sounds like you found an amazing career home here at D2L. Yes it is a bummer about missing cake days and I think we should include some sort of bakery coupons for remote employees. :) Really appreciate you taking the time to review.

8. 5.0

CRO

Mar 26, 2019 - Chief Revenue Officer in San Jose, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I just completed 1 year at D2L and have enjoyed it immensely. What brought me to D2L was 1) a very large market opportunity with the ability to influence lifelong learning and a 2) a corporate culture that rewards collaboration and promotes self growth. What keeps me here are the same 2 points as I have had the opportunity to learn a new market, influence and bring in new ideas and collaborate with extremely smart people on a daily basis. Oh yes, and the teabot!!

Cons

The biggest con that I feel is that being a remote worker (based in Bay Area when corporate headquarters is in the Kitchener/Waterloo area) limits the effectiveness as so much is done over phone/video. While we use the latest collaboration tools being distributed has its operational and cultural limitations.

2 people found this review helpful

Senior Corporate Recruiter

Thanks so much for the awesome feedback! I agree with you on the Teabot! I know working remote has its challenges but it also brings some advantages, along with flexibility. We're so glad that you are here :)

9. 5.0
      Current Employee

Best Company I’ve Ever Worked At

Feb 7, 2019 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

I’ve worked at a number of tech companies and D2L has exceeded my expectations. The Management (yes I said Management) is exceptional - They acknowledge and encourage every employee, the ideas we have, and the work we do. I’ve never felt so appreciated in a sales role. With other companies I’ve worked at, sales reps were constantly stressed and worried about meeting numbers (quota, number of calls/emails, pipeline, etc). I used to have nightmares about this stuff. But at D2L, everyone wants to help you be successful and they want to help customers be successful. The company takes a lot of pride in their product (Brightspace) and they want to continue to make it the best, as well as continue to help their customers have the best experience and results.

Cons

I really don’t have any cons

3 people found this review helpful

Senior Corporate Recruiter

Thanks for taking the time to review! We've hired some amazing leaders over the last couple of years and glad to hear it's making an awesome impact. We're really proud of our culture and the mission we've created. We appreciate the feedback and so happy to have you here! :)

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Culture and Pride of Work

Sep 26, 2019 - Product Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Very collaborative work environment with little egos. Level of work has huge impact on our customers/learners and how we digitally change how education is consumed. Leadership is solid and takes time to educate and mentor teams/employees.

Cons

A bit of travel and always too much work to do and not enough time.

Senior Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to review. So awesome to hear you feel fulfilled with the impact you are making on our customers/learners! We have an amazing learning culture here with strong leadership. Really appreciate your feedback and can definitely understand your concern on travel. Something we can work on for future as we pride ourselves on work/life balance.

11. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

WORST experience ever

Jan 22, 2019 - Director
      Business Outlook

Pros

I was at D2L for three years and met some great people. The office environment is open and friendly.

Cons

If you enjoy leaders who lead by fear and their own insecurity then this place is for you. If you want real leadership do not even apply for a job here. In 2018, all the competent top leadership left the company. - No consistent strategy for winning - A lot of turnover - They promote people who are not ready or capable because they can't hire good people anymore

13 people found this review helpful