Cover image for D2L

D2L President & Chief Executive Officer John Baker
John Baker

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of D2L and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Awesome place

Nov 17, 2022 - Anonymous Employee in Ontario, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great and comforting environment with a solid knowledgeable team to help you succeed every step of the way.

Cons

None so far, will update if any come up.

D2L Response

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are happy to see that you are enjoying D2L's work environment. We strive to make D2L a great place to work for every employee.

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Outstanding Organization

Aug 11, 2022 - Senior Director in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Love working with our team at D2L. We have an awesome culture that is driven to help our customers.

Cons

Some slowness in making decisions. Our marketing could use a boost.

3. Join the D2L team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Fun Org

Apr 8, 2022 - Senior Director
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people working here are often great to work with. There's a strong remote culture here for employees that don't report into the office regularly or work far from HQ.

Cons

Can often seem like C-level management doesn't have a grip on how to keep the ship moving forward long-term. A lot of short-sighted decisionmaking occurs to react to what's happening in this quarter or next but not prep for next year or the year after.

Senior Talent & Inclusion Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. As you are part of the D2L leadership team, we would encourage you to raise your concerns with your leader or senior leadership team member.

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Wonderful Culture and the Best People

Feb 9, 2022 - Senior Sales Enablement Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits Flexibility Culture Opportunities to grow Professional Development Work Life Balance

Cons

Salary increases are hard to come by

2 people found this review helpful

Recruitment Coordinator

Thank you for sharing your feedback and experience and D2L!

6. 4.0
    Current Employee

Decent, Good Workplace

Jan 25, 2022 - Client Sales Executive
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good leadership and direct managers (which honestly makes all the difference) Supportive environment for personal career growth and change within the company

Cons

Little investment from the top towards marketing and sales support. The company has been around for over 20 years, yet still struggles with the same issues year-after-year when it comes to internal processes and product/sales enablement. Reps get tired of jumping through hoops just to get an answer on pricing and what to charge. Salary and OTE is not very competitive, especially for this industry and market. Plus there is a cap on annual salary increases each year, so the longer you've been here, the less you probably make.

Recruitment Coordinator

Thanks for sharing your feedback and experience at D2L! We're glad to hear that you feel that leadership is supportive in your career. We are continuously looking for ways to improve so your feedback is important to us.

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

D2L is a fantastic place to work

Jan 5, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Collaborative, kind workplace with great employees in every department - Growing quickly with recent IPO and virtual learning mission - Great opportunities for upward mobility and career progression

Cons

- Hard to think of any

Senior Talent & Inclusion Strategist

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Exciting times ahead for sure!

8. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Meh

Oct 31, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

The mission is inspiring, and they really mean it. There are some truly brilliant people there, when you’re lucky enough to work in their atmosphere.

Cons

Weirdly limited transparency, some key-role Alpha hires have fully undone any positive-focused working environment/life balance/sense of security - fear rules. Everything - EVERYTHING - is done to look good on paper for an IPO or outside acquisition that simply never comes. CEO is a good guy, but can’t see the forest for the trees.

3 people found this review helpful
  9. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great company for higher ed to private sector transition

Sep 14, 2021 - Learning Strategy Consultant
    Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent culture in terms of how we work with clients, transparency of leadership, interest in championing client success

Cons

It was a whole new world for me coming from higher ed into corporate when it came to billable hours, selling and that kind of thing - without a lot of support to make that transition successfully

10. 3.0
    Former Employee

Working in the D2L sales organization

Apr 11, 2021 - Sales
    Business Outlook

Pros

- $1,000 stipend to purchase home office equipment when you start as a remote employee - Home Office internet subsidy - Chief Revenue Officer is solid.  Successful guy with experience and best of all....a great person who cares about your success and well-being.  - Fantastic recruitment process via internal recruiter.  Welcoming, appreciative of my joining, etc.  - Equity options - Growing company and well positioned for current market environment of remote learning. - Fun-fast paced environment. - Tremendous proposals team that helps with RFP responses and customer documents to help support the sales rep out in the field. - Solution Engineer team is phenomenal.  Reps are assigned to very capable Solution Engineers that are great people, great to work with and led by  managers that understand the sales process and are super supportive.

Cons

- Sales leader is young and lacks mature seasoning. Has a disposable attitude about people more so than other sales organizations where I've worked. High turnover. - CEO touts this mantra about "Doing the best work of your life" but the sales organization plays by different rules.  While CRO is solid, other long-timers run the show day to day and make questionable ethical decisions.  It's all about the win. - Working a very large deal with a Sales Leadership Team member and the prospect pulled me aside saying this sales leader is like a used car salesman. Asked for my opinion on how to navigate the relationship. - Brand recognition is non-existent and leadership doesn't seem to address.  Although most of our market opportunity in North America is the US, we continue to be known as the Canadian LMS and certain geographies aren't aware of who D2L is.  - Company completely operates out of Kitchener, ON regardless of your remote location or time zone. - Sales reps should go work for a company that enjoy writing commission checks.  D2L leadership seem to look for legalities to avoid it when possible.  - Zero autonomy as a sales rep to approve deals.  EVERYTHING flows through one individual in finance to approve deals.  Great people in finance but this isn't sustainable and causes delays.  Customers are often waiting on quotes. Not nimble enough. - No Flexible Spending Account option - 4% company match on 401k is decent but have to wait 1 year before that match is made.  - Only $50 per diem when traveling.  When I first started, my SE and I would travel and it was advised to do separate checks.  Have even been at events where there were 4-5 of us and all did separate checks.  A little tacky and felt like I was in high school splitting checks at a restaurant. - Liberal Canadian culture really comes out in full force. The liberal mantra of tolerance and acceptance of all doesn't apply to those on the other side of the aisle.  Interacting with Canadians all day many of which are in leadership positions. Side comments about the social issues of 2020 or Trump's border policy, gun control, etc.

6 people found this review helpful

SVP - Strategic Accounts

Sincere thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback and thanks for calling out the work our CRO is doing (coming into his fourth year)... he is great and continues to make strides to improve overall sales culture/a number of the items you called out. We aren’t there yet but we are improving and recognize there is still lots of work to do (including a lot of hiring – finance resources included!) We all agree more coaching for our new managers is a good thing and I’ll take to heart/reflect on your comments on long-timers (as an eleven-year senior sales leader ). Really appreciate your direct comments regarding diversity and equality – we are super focused on providing an accessible, diverse, fair environment and will continue to invest in improving those areas. Turnover is actually the lowest it’s ever been in the sales org in a long time so I think some good progress - we are committed to investing in our people and culture so that our employees really can do the best work of their life. I’d love to chat with you to learn more if you would be up for a confidential chat – just email me. Sincerely, Adam Moore SVP – Strategic Accounts Adam.moore@d2l.com

11. 5.0
    Current Employee

Growing company

Oct 15, 2020 - Sales Enablement
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture, fun and caring people, great mission and values, great benefits

Cons

We are all remote right now and miss going to our offices

Viewing 1 - 10 of 467 Reviews
</>Embed

D2L Reviews FAQs

D2L has an overall rating of 4.1 out of 5, based on over 526 reviews left anonymously by employees. 80% of employees would recommend working at D2L to a friend and 71% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, D2L employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.4 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at D2L. This rating has decreased by -1% over the last 12 months.

80% of D2L employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated D2L 4.4 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.3 for culture and values and 3.9 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at D2L to be career development, culture, coworkers and the cons to be benefits, management, senior leadership.

Popular Careers with D2L Job Seekers