D2L Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
D2L President & Chief Executive Officer John Baker
John Baker

Pros
Cons
  • A few things to highlight (particularly in marketing) that have created the toxic culture that has resulted in the ridiculously high turnover (in 9 reviews)

• Long hours, low pay, old building looks cool but the air quality very terrible, bad management, don't ever work there if you are not a dog person, etc (in 7 reviews)

1. "Outside Sales"

Current Employee - Senior Enterprise Sales Executive in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Enterprise Sales Executive in Dallas, TX

Pros

Flexible, allows you to own your book of business and tend to it in your own manner. Plenty of resources to enable you to have success in your role. Amazing culture with great people who really care about your well-being.

Cons

On-boarding material too light - need more thorough product information.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

"Great place to work, fulfilling purpose"

Current Employee - Solutions Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Solutions Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at D2L full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Quality of life, interesting work, eclectic co-workers, fulfilling mission.

Cons

Market perception, lack of name recognition

Advice to Management

Provide employees more long-term incentives to stick around.

May 3, 2017 – Senior Sales Recruiter

Thank you for your review! Our mission and purpose is truly inspiring. We still have work to do on our brand recognition but we're making great progress. We really appreciate the feedback!

"Marketing Leadership"

Current Employee - Marketing Team Member in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing Team Member in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at D2L full-time

Pros

There is leadership and there is vision-- and D2L's Marketing leader displays both. Education is evolving quickly and it's a tall task to stay ahead of the curve. The new leader that joined a couple of years ago is a stellar person, a great leader, very fair, and very human. He is also visionary, creative and smart. I enjoy working with him and have learned a lot since he started.

Cons

The company is moving quickly- it is very agile- so the team needs to keep pace. If you join, be prepared to work hard and work smart. You will be rewarded in return.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

"Director of Product Management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at D2L full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

D2L has been aggressive in hiring the best people globally, bringing some very smart people to the company who are experts in their trade. D2L focuses on creating a positive environment for everyone and is very collaborative. Have not met one person at the Company who is unpleasant.

Cons

With a growing company you will be working long hours and you tend to work West and East Coast hours as it is a global company.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you do. Leadership is the best I have ever seen and has created a very high performing team showing immediate positive changes.

"Consistent improvement"

Current Employee - Solutions Engineer in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Solutions Engineer in Remote, OR

I have been working at D2L full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart, supportive, and energetic staff and a huge improvement of the quality in leadership. The company definitely went through some growing pains a few years back, but has emerged as a more nimble and focused organization with a higher caliber of employees across the board. The new COO has brought a clearer product vision and ability to execute on it.

Cons

It's a tough market, and there wasn't enough attention to segment-specific needs. That seems to have changed for the better. There was also too much reliance on the small group of founders to lead day to day operations in a company that got too big for them. This has also changed.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your staff. You have made enormous improvements over the past few years by bringing on industry leaders and spreading the decision-making outside of HQ. Keep it up, because those improvements are continuing to show huge dividends.

Aug 23, 2016 – Senior Sales Recruiter

Thanks for the review! I agree that we do need keep listening! We take note of everyone's feedback and we're focused on making improvements to our everyday work/life balance and culture. We're on a ... More

"A great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ontario, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ontario, CA

Pros

Great benefits, great atmosphere, a lot of autonomy over your work, great time off policies, very interested in promoting their employees, free parking or an eco-bonus.

Cons

I really haven't identified any cons!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

"I love my job!"

I have been working at D2L full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am a valued member of the D2L family. I get to do what I love at work everyday. I have the flexibility to work from home as a remote US employee. I am not mircomanaged, but resourced and then trusted to do my job. I am supported and encouraged to develop as a professional.

Cons

Both education and software are industries in flux - so there are lots of changes to stay in touch with. As a remote employee I feel I have to work a little harder than an onsite employee to absorb the ever changing trends and technologies.

Advice to Management

Encourage more participation in the Mentoring program.

May 17, 2017 – Senior Sales Recruiter

Great feedback! We always want to hear how we're doing with our remote employees. It's important we give you the support you need. Being remote myself, I can relate to some of your struggles but I ... More

"Great management team"

I have been working at D2L full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Outstanding leadership, from C-level down to middle management.

Cons

Compensation is lagging behind industry

May 17, 2017 – Senior Sales Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to review. I agree, we have some amazing leaders in place and we're on a great path! We appreciate your feedback.

"By far the most supportive company to work for!"

Current Employee - Implementation Consultant
    Current Employee - Implementation Consultant

I have been working at D2L full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits are extremely competitive
    Support from my team is incredible
    High value is placed on work/life balance

Cons

Pay is a bit lower than similar companies, but the support and benefits can't be beat and makes up for the slightly lower pay

"Think carefully before taking a role here"

I worked at D2L full-time

Pros

Some really great people work here and want to improve the company and the product. Lots of talent and lots of potential

Cons

This company refers to itself as a "17 year old startup" which explains a lot, particularly in the world of tech. There are some fundamental challenges at this company - starting with the software product itself, and moving into the culture, which is one that struggles to trust and empower employees, and also with process - many aspects of work here feel like living in a Dilbert cartoon. Extremely hierarchical and slow decision-making you'd typically associate with a government organization, not a small and growing tech company.

Advice to Management

Internally, talk honestly about the challenges and opportunities in front of you
    trust and empower your talent
    pick an area to focus on and see it through
    use data to make decisions

Jul 11, 2016 – Senior Sales Recruiter

Thanks for the feedback. I agree, we have lots of talented people here at D2L! We are definitely growing and we've recently had 2 of our best quarters in our company history. It's a very exciting ... More