DTS Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
DTS Chairman & CEO Jon E. Kirchner
Jon E. Kirchner

1. "Love working for DTS!"

Current Employee - Manager in Calabasas, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Calabasas, CA

I have been working at DTS full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I work with a great team. (Makes all the difference!)
    Flex schedule. Some departments allow a flexible start and end time.
    Occasionally permitted to work remotely from home. (Dependent on department manager)
    Great cross-team collaboration.
    Recent acquisition by Tessera is very promising!

Cons

Our competitors offer better benefits.

Advice to Management

In order to attract and retain top talent, get creative in finding new types of benefits for employees.

"Recruiter"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at DTS full-time

Pros

Not Corporate America environment. Busy office and nice people to work with. Location is close to shopping, freeways and most other conveniences.I

Cons

If you like working for a big company this is not the place for you. If you like working for a smaller company where you don't get lost in the masses, this would be a good fit.

"Senior Engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Applications Engineer in Calabasas, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Applications Engineer in Calabasas, CA

I worked at DTS (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very intersting company with a long history

Cons

To many latofff over the years.

"Senior Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at DTS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free coffee and plenty of tap water. A/C working most of the time since it's 120 out 9 months a year.

Cons

Extremely top-heavy organization with at least 2/3 of an already uninspiring management that is completely useless.
    Random layoffs of lower-level engineers seem to be the norm.
    Low-end benefits with high co-pays.

Advice to Management

Quit.

5. "Good and bad"

Former Employee - Engineer in Calabasas, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Calabasas, CA

I worked at DTS full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people and dynamic technology.

Cons

Upper management lacks long term vision and focused on short term finances.

Advice to Management

N/A

6. "DTS Is A Great Place to Work At"

Current Employee - Operation/Marketing Assistant in Arcadia, CA
    Current Employee - Operation/Marketing Assistant in Arcadia, CA

I have been working at DTS (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work at, great company culture and people

Cons

Need to work on internal communication

"Some of the worst management in the audio tech industry!"

Former Employee - Senior Audio Engineer in Calabasas, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Audio Engineer in Calabasas, CA

I worked at DTS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Many great audio software engineers, with the passion, drive and expertise to build world-class algorithms.

Cons

The upper management is filled by cronies that have no understanding of the technology or technology potential. For this reason, great engineers with great ideas get stuck trying to defend their research and development, all while the rest of the industry moves forward and embraces potential.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs a complete overhaul, beginning with the CTO and all his cronies he's put in place to keep his job security, overly high salary and compensation package, and of course retirement topped off. The upper management in the technology department has little to no understanding of the tech DTS develops! Trust me... if they could reinvent DTS as a pencil manufacturer, or just outsource the audio tech Dev to China or India, they'd do it in a heartbeat to fill their pockets faster. The last thing they'd want to do is actually learn about 3D audio tech and have something useful to contribute!

"Not a good place for a temp."

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Calabasas, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Calabasas, CA

Pros

Most of the people are very nice.

Cons

I was brought in as a consultant in the Busyness Systems Department to set up reporting workbooks on Excel for their clients to report royalty sales. The Excel is very sophisticated but that was not the problem. The problems were two: One, their business is very complicated and Two, they do not want to take the time to explain it. I was being "trained" in the process by a business analyst who continually apologized for not being able to have the time to spend with me showing me to show me the process. That was mostly because he was almost never there. He would get in at ten in the morning then take an hour lunch and afterwards leave at five or six. But during the time that he was there he would spend most of it shopping on the internet for motorcycle equipment or socializing. Because of that mostly I had to communicate with him by e-mail but he never answered my questions. Whenever he would talk to me it was just to threaten me that they were going to get someone else. I was there less than two months and finally they decided to get someone else. My opinion is that he was using me as a scapegoat for the work not being done. His work that is because he kept on telling everyone that he could not do his work due to the fact that he had to constantly help me. That was not true.

I would advise anyone being offered an opportunity to work as a Financial Analyst in that department to consider your options VERY carefully. It has been almost six months since I have left and just about every month I see that they are posting a new classified add for that position. What that means to me is that they keep on hiring people then getting rid of them.

I particularly resent it because I left a good job to go to work there. They painted the opportunity in wonderful colors. The reality was very different. Good luck to you if you ever go there. And please understand that I am only talking about that particular department.

Advice to Management

Quit being a revolving door for people and be more patient when training them. The business model may not seem very complicated to you because you have been there a long time. But to someone new it will be challenging. If you had done this from the beginning you would not still be looking for someone to fill that position and all of your other projects would be up to date.

Also stop blaming new people for your own failures. When I started to work there you were blaming my predecessor for many things which were not his fault. When I looked at his work it seemed to be well done. Especially since he was only an intern and still a college student.

"Great working atmosphere and talented people"

Current Employee - Manager in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Los Gatos, CA

Pros

People who are happy at DTS confident people who don't wait for other people to solve their problems. They are willing to collaborate and actively like solving problems.

Performance is goal driven in small company atmosphere, your are given flexibility to achieve your goals

Cons

Some politics require navigation, one must understand the nature of DTS business to understand the politics. Your manager should be strong to help with the navigation

Advice to Management

Continue with open communication. Maintain the flexible atmosphere of a small company. Communicate change effectively, avoid surprises with pro-active communication.

"Still not ready to stand with their competition"

Former Employee - California in Calabasas, CA
    Former Employee - California in Calabasas, CA

I worked at DTS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very smart product team. DTS technology works very well. Very nice office.

Cons

Top heavy in Senior Management, some with very limited experience in the industry.
    Very political with limited communication within teams.
    Insufficient understanding of hardware partner's market needs and how it relates to DTS.
    DTS is consistently late to respond to their competition in the market. Always playing catch up. Stock's inability to grow is a good indicator.