Cover image for Darwin Technologies

Verify your email to use filters. Having problems? Resend email
Found 230 of over 237 reviews
3.6
65% Recommend to a Friend
Darwin Technologies Head of Global Operations and COO Jeff Spritzer and Neil McLellan
60% Approve of CEO

71 Comments

Tech

466K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Darwin Technologies~367362
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
  • "For some roles Thomsons paid low salaries which meant experience in some departments was limited.(in 18 reviews)
  • "bad management, low salaries, no progression(in 8 reviews)
  • "high workloads(in 6 reviews)
  • "Long hours and peak seasons with little variety.(in 5 reviews)
  • "Senior leadership has bad strategic planning(in 4 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great company to work at.

Jan 18, 2021 - Office Manager in Elmhurst, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Fair salary and very good benefits

Cons

No room for advancement at this location

2. 5.0
    Current Employee

The best

Dec 5, 2020 - Brand Manager in Durham, NC
    Business Outlook

Pros

The absolute best life it

Cons

Nothing to complain about great place

3. Join the Darwin Technologies team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Exciting, fast paced company, strong culture, truly dedicated to best of breed global benefit management software.

Mar 6, 2015 - Director of Enterprise Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Strong, involved management support, even from the founders; great training on software; cool culture of work hard, play hard; modern marketing plan with strong use of social media; true global company with disruptive software that makes a difference. Huge upside on career opportunities as we grow the business.

Cons

You have to be self driven and want to succeed. There will be high expectations and people who do not want to be the best they can be will have challenges. This is not a company where you want to be just average. Some may not like this type of culture, but I say this is a positive. Successful people are self starters and motivated before they join and know when and where to ask for help. Many people work remote which can be challenge for some. You have to be very patient during the interview process as Thomsons is selective with who they bring on.

5. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Such an utter waste of time

Feb 18, 2015 - Inside Sales Representative in Burlingame, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Everyone will tell you what you want to hear and sound like they mean it. Close to CalTrain

Cons

It's in Burlingame, CA. You will be promised things in the interview that will not be true. You will be "oversold" the position (their words - not mine) so if it's too good to be true-- it's probably not true. The break room is pitiful. The on-boarding process was relentless and they made me feel bad about expecting things to be set up before I started. They have a "that's just the way it is" kind of attitude. They are a benefits company that won't even invest in a 401k option for the U.S. team or even other mainstream benefit packages (gym, lunches, etc). The office has barely any sunlight. Getting reimbursed for expenses (flights, phone, phone bill) takes way too long. It took them more than 3 weeks to get my insurance set up. The main office is in London (which you may never even get to see like they promise you) and it is difficult to communicate with anyone there about important matters. It took them more than 3 weeks to get me a proper power cord for my laptop. You HAVE to use a Dell Laptop. They won't invest in you until you fully invest in them. They treat you as though you should be lucky to work for them instead of them being lucky to have you working there.

11 people found this review helpful

Darwin Technologies Response

Recruitment Partner

We are sorry to hear that your brief time with Thomsons didn’t live up to your expectations. Our US office is very much a start-up and the look, feel and environment of the office reflect that. Our recruitment process is very transparent about what it is like to work at Thomsons and what’s on offer, and our culture is very much orientated to a partnership and balance between us and Thomsons People. This does require a get-up-and-go, can do approach, and the ‘you get out what you put in’ which is common is most of our reviews is representative of the company. Sadly, sometimes it comes down to simply not being the right fit. We wish you all the best.

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great Career Opportunity, Greater Potential!

Mar 6, 2015 - Inside Sales Representative in Burlingame, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Truly disruptive product - Unlimited Enterprise and Industry Potential - Prospects love the product - super intuitive, simple to use, ahead of the market. - Very Competitive Salary and Commission Structure. - Excellent executives and management. - Real long term potential- If you do well here you are REWARDED! - Because the company is growing so fast, if you perform you can get promoted much faster than any other start up out there -The company is very fair and open to discussing almost anything employees want addressed.

Cons

-There are growing pains with setting up U.S. office however we are backed by large machine in the U.K. -The team is small and you need to mesh well in order to fit in. -Expected to deliver

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great company to be a part of!

Nov 25, 2014 - Enterprise Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- high growth fast paced environment with room for growth - flexible work environment and no micro management - but management is always available when needed - access to CEO and MD - they know and interact with every employee and what's going on in their lives - revolutionary technology - a concept that is newer to the market and is expected to boom in the coming years - endless opportunity for personal and professional growth - and yes, Work Hard, Play Hard which makes it fun!

Cons

Occasionally it can be hard working remotely or on the road, but they do a good job of keeping everyone engaged and productive!

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

An absolutely brilliant opportunity for growth within a leading global tech company!

Mar 6, 2015 - Inside Sales in Burlingame, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Culture at Thomsons is extremely important and they really care about making each employee understand the value they bring to the business. They do a great job of rewarding self-starters who show that they want to get stuck-in and smash their targets. I wouldn't say the culture is"work hard, play hard", but everyone is passionate about being successful and likes to have a good time. All of my colleagues have a great sense of humor and we all like to have fun when we get together. The co-founders are not only highly-accessibleto new-joiners, but they are always helpful and are both inspiring individuals to learn from. Management has always been very supportive and willing to negotiate so that you are happy and have everything you need to succeed. I love that we have a start-up feel here in the States, even though we have a bigger machine that supports us out of our London headquarters. We already work with some of the world's most exciting companies, but I love how much opportunity for growth we have considering the fact that we are pioneering this market here in the States. It really is a fantastic solution that we offer and I am genuinely excited about the future of our US team, in addition to the business as a whole. I truly believe this is an excellent time to join Thomsons here in the States.

Cons

Although they offer top of the line medical and dental, the benefits offered to US employees might not be as comprehensive as some other tech companies. However, I am sure this is temporary as the US team is quite new.

4 people found this review helpful
  9. 5.0

Director - Sales

Mar 10, 2015 - Sales in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great company with a great culture! Recently started working at Thomsons and I love the software and the people. Everyone has been willing to help me be successful. Would highly recommend!

Cons

Growing company so we are learning new things very fast. Some people may not like the work hard play hard attitude but those who are self starters will be successful!

10. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great company to work for in the US!

Nov 24, 2014 - Anonymous Employee in Burlingame, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work-life balance is great Senior Management is very approachable and happy to give guidance or advice One of the best corporate cultures I've experienced- fun and caring Creative and professional freedom

Cons

Company opened the US office just a year ago, so is still in the process of figuring things out, though the business listens to the feedback which is good.

11. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

ThomExit

Aug 9, 2016 -  in Boca Raton, FL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Suitable product for the UK, but not feasible for other markets... Absolute need for global benefits platforms, but one platform is where the world is going and not partnering..

Cons

Poor leadership, lack of direction, shifting directions, lack of transparency, lack of respect from the top down.... Poor treatment of employees who are victims of shifting directions. If you don't party then don't work there....

14 people found this review helpful

Darwin Technologies Response

Talent & Engagement Partner

Thank you for your feedback. We strive to create a unique culture globally which we're immensely proud of. We appreciate the time you’ve taken to write this comment as we are always looking to learn and evolve as a business.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 229 Reviews
</>Embed

Darwin Technologies Reviews FAQs

Darwin Technologies has an overall rating of 3.6 out of 5, based on over 237 reviews left anonymously by employees. 65% of employees would recommend working at Darwin Technologies to a friend and 43% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 2% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Darwin Technologies employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.6 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Darwin Technologies. This rating has decreased by -6% over the last 12 months.

65% of Darwin Technologies employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Darwin Technologies 3.4 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.9 for culture and values and 3.4 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Darwin Technologies to be career development, culture, benefits and the cons to be work life balance, management, compensation.