DiscoverOrg Reviews | Glassdoor

4.3
DiscoverOrg Co-Founder and Chief Executive Officer Henry Schuck
Henry Schuck

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Culture that promotes teamwork and rewards you for your hard work" (in 26 reviews)

• "Coming to work for DiscoverOrg was one of the best decisions I ever made and I will never look back" (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "No flexibility in the work from home policy is about all I can say" (in 5 reviews)

• "Just like most any sales position, work/life balance isn't ideal (way better than other sales organizations I've been a part of though)" (in 5 reviews)

1. "Great company with a lot of opportunity"

Former Employee - Sales Account Executive
    Former Employee - Sales Account Executive

I worked at DiscoverOrg full-time

Pros

Good pay
    Great people
    Awesome leadership
    This is a great place to grow your career

Cons

High expectations - to be expected for a high growth company

Advice to Management

Keep hiring great people, and keep allowing people to move around the company.

"Marketing"

I have been working at DiscoverOrg full-time

Pros

The company is great to work for. You won't find a better group of hard working, intelligent, and fun people.

Cons

There are no Cons, Apply

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing

"Corporate Research Analyst"

Former Employee - Corporate Research Analyst in Vancouver, WA
    Former Employee - Corporate Research Analyst in Vancouver, WA

I worked at DiscoverOrg full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Growth, change, innovation, and forward momentum are constant at DiscoverOrg. All of which made the job really exciting for me. I was able to see my colleagues move up within the company and I was able to work with management to help prepare myself to move up within the company. There's always something fun going on whether it's a team potluck, ice cream social, company event, or just a fun team competition challenge. They offer raises at least once a year and the monthly bonus structure is great. If you know how to work hard and want to be a part of something great, DiscoverOrg is the place for you. I couldn't be more thankful for what this job and this company have taught me both professionally and personally.

Cons

It is truly hard to think of any cons.

Advice to Management

Just want to say thank you!

"Honest review from a current employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at DiscoverOrg full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- I've had a lot of opportunity for growth and to move up
    - Coworkers/managers are amazing. It's kinda of a young crowd which can be a little annoying at times but a lot of the employees here are nice, interesting people. Made some of my closest friends since working here.
    - A lot of activities, praise, and cool prizes in the department. They try to make it fun and motivate/reward people for hard work. It's nice to see them planning fun stuff (like a trip for 2 to Hawaii)because they do ask you to work pretty hard.

Cons

- The wages are competitive compared to other jobs that have the same experience level requirements. That is pretty nice actually (no college experience needed). BUT I still think that for the work effort they are asking for, we deserve to be paid more for how successful the company is.
    - It's a work hard play hard environment which is really fun but also tiring. It's not always intense but when it is, you have to be ready to bust butt. It's not necessarily a con but just something to think about if that isn't your style

Advice to Management

Keep making change and listening to what your employees are telling you. And I think that people on all sides need to remember that big change doesn't happen immediately.

"Amazing company with driven people"

Current Employee - Senior Research Analyst in Vancouver, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Research Analyst in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at DiscoverOrg full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Raises happen often. Opportunity to move up the ranks. Overtime available. Good benefits. Opportunity for bonuses. Excutive leadership cares about their employees & actively seeks constructive criticism on ways to improve the work experience.

Cons

Need to be able to adapt to change quickly due to rapid growth.

Advice to Management

Keep making DiscoverOrg a great place to work.

"Was a great job!!!"

Former Employee - Software Test Automation Engineer in Vancouver, WA
    Former Employee - Software Test Automation Engineer in Vancouver, WA

I worked at DiscoverOrg full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I LOVED my position at DiscoverOrg! It was quite possibly the best job I had ever taken, certainly the most interesting. This was one of the best teams I had ever worked with.

Cons

I write this critique NOT as a bitter ex-employee. I merely wish for this review to be of some help to potential candidates and DiscoverOrg management.

The "Pros" lasted until the hiring and appearance of a vice-president level person. It became quite clear to me that there was friction between us. Why? I don't have a clue. Despite my attempts at discussing the subject, she avoided ever talking with me concerning the issue.

My world had, up until that time, been one where if there was a problem, it was discussed and resolved. Not so with this individual. Actually, not so with DiscoverOrg. Another artifact of DiscoverOrg was that if there was a personnel problem it was never brought to the employee's attention. The person in question would just be let go, quite suddenly. Again, this was something I had never encountered in my lengthy career. I witnessed this a couple of times during my brief tenure. To say that this sort behavior represents "Poor Leadership" is an understatement of Mozartian proportions.

I ended up having first hand experience with this. As I was coding away at my workstation, totally oblivious to any "problem", said VP, NOT my immediate manager, walked up to me and she said, "come with me".
    Thirty seconds later I was in HR being told I was being "let go". When I asked why, I was told that "there was a change in corporate direction". I pressed for additional details and was told that I was "not performing up to expectations". When I asked WHO was that was unhappy with my work I was told that it was "confidential".

This was a HUGE surprise to me. Up to that point, from the CEO all the way down to the development team I was hearing nothing but positive comments about my work. Then, out of the blue, I am let go for what, according to my manager, was a totally bogus reason. My manager was furious with this VP. She had done a complete "end-around" on him, letting him know I was being "let go" a half hour prior to her doing the "dirty deed".

The unfortunate things are:
    DiscoverOrg touted itself as being a "politics free" company. This ended when the harpy VP came on board.
    I lost a job that I truly LOVED! This was a job that I took despite coming on board at $10k lower than I had asked. I loved it so much that I willingly worked 10 hour days. I loved it so much that I made a 50 mile commute each day.
    And, perhaps most painful of all, I had to leave a team of truly outstanding people whom I truly loved.

This all occurred while an individual who shall be unnamed spent his entire day at his workstation playing with his 3D scanner. SHEESH!

Advice to Management

Lose the politics. Politics in the office, avoiding problems and refusing to address them is destructive to the entire team. It is demoralizing and unethical. Especially when the result is the "surprise" discharge of good and productive people. Also, keep in mind that the goal is NOT to just hire someone, it IS to hire the RIGHT someone. And again, address your problems, don't ignore them. If you have a personnel problem the process ought to be counseling, discussing, and seeking resolution. The discharging of an individual should NOT be the first step, it should be the last step, the absolute last resort. From an employee's perspective being "ambushed" really reeks big time.

This review could and should have been 5 stars. Unfortunately, my experiences lead me to think, 'If there was a zero star category, DiscoverOrg's management "team" would have earned it, resoundingly'.

"avoid like the plague"

I worked at DiscoverOrg full-time

Pros

nice views from the office windows. Benefits perhaps.

Cons

This place is run by inexperienced fresh outta college "professionals." The "research staff" is no more than a call center. There's little interaction w/ upper management other than company meetings where no one dare say what is on their minds. It's a soul crushing experience all in all.

Advice to Management

Hire some grown ups with real experience.

"Updated Review"

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at DiscoverOrg full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Food? They are always feeding you. That is pretty great. I had previously stated that people were quite nice. Kind of true still. They give stuff away. That's nice. Nice starting wage? Work life balance is pretty good.

Cons

I don't even know where to start. Communication here is sincerely terrible. They have been trying to improve it, good job? Managers have no check. Some things seem to be fine for some people but not for others. If you hit goal constantly, they will find something else to get after you about. 95% accuracy means that you basically can't make mistakes. So, there's that. Projects have zero to the negative direction. Why are we doing this? Sometimes you can do certain things, sometimes you can't. Can anyone tell you why? No, they cant. Ask one manager a question and you will probably get the opposite answer from another manager.
         Job security isn't a thing here. They will 100% write you up for clocking in one minute late "because they allow you to clock in five minutes early." No clue what kind of logic that is but if you say start time is at 7:00am, it's 7am. Not 6:55 because you decided that because the software allows you to. Why. It is just a mechanism to put individuals through a disciplinary process.
              Your managers in research really enjoy micro-managing people. What's the disconnect here? Senior management is friendly, they seem to understand.

Advice to Management

What are you doing? Do you guys have any earthly idea what is going on down in research? Cliques are all over the place, sub-social groups are all over the place. It's like a frat house. My job longevity shouldn't feel like its dependent on if I drank with the group on the weekends. There are a lot of people giving up a lot of things to work there. Peoples families depend on the income provided by you. Why do you make it so difficult? You can't even support a family off of what you make as a researcher there. Sorry, you cant. So cut the red-tape, your not paying people 80k a year in research and everyone is severely overworked.

but also, thank you for trying. I think individuals do see it.

"Shady"

I worked at DiscoverOrg full-time

Pros

Good pay but not for the verbal abuse you’ll get

Cons

Unless you’re friends with the bosses, get a new job. High turnover

"Corporate Research Analyst"

Former Employee - Corporate Research Analyst
    Former Employee - Corporate Research Analyst

I worked at DiscoverOrg full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free food, free coffee, free events. People are actually pretty nice (really passive aggressive) but nice.

Cons

Yikes. Projects don't have clear deadlines or explanations. Management displays frequent (as well as unapologetic) favoritism. Goals are constantly shifting with no explanation. This job should be titled "Call Center Representative." The amount of actual research you conduct is as limited as it could possibly be. The back end of the job, which is cleaning data, takes so much time away from the goals you are supposed to be achieving. They don't care, or seem to remember what it was like to actually work in the position.
                You are constantly being threatened. Indirectly and directly. Even though I was never in any danger of this, the word HR gets tossed around there like candy. If you don't believe me look at the turn over rate in their research department. Draw conclusions from that.

If you value job security at all do not go here. The bad reviews on this site are far more accurate than the poor internal marketing they push to try to make the populous think its a good place to work.

Advice to Management

I guess keep doing what you are doing? You make money doing it? I dont have any. This was an awful experience for me.