Dyn Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dyn CEO Colin Doherty
Colin Doherty

Pros
  • Unlimited PTO, work/life balance, unparalleled benefits, great work atmosphere (in 18 reviews)

• Strong focus on a positive Work-Life balance (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Decisions seem to be siloed a bit in upper management (in 8 reviews)

• There's a high level of office politicking and in-fighting from a directionless mid-management team (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Changing But Exciting Time at Dyn"

Pros

As a growing company in transition, I think many people over look the many benefits that Dyn offers employees that I have personally found unmatched by any other employer I have previously worked for. Benefits, especially health care, employee perks like gym memberships and free weekly lunches, flexibility within one’s working day and unlimited PTO to name a few. Dyn puts employee happiness at the forefront of its core values and it is unlike any experience I have received from other employers. What’s unfortunate is that many people begin to take these benefits for granted and they lose sense of how unique of a work environment this truly is. Trust me, most places are not like Dyn!

Less tangible pros but important nonetheless include incredible industry expertise across all departments and levels of the organization. It is remarkable to have the opportunity to work amongst some of the most respected and intelligent leaders in the industry. Dyn is a company in a challenging growth state and the ability of our leadership (yes product, sales & marketing alike) to pivot as the market demands to stay relevant to buyers and to adapt product road maps to rapidly changing market conditions is not only a very difficult task but also challenging to communicate to the org. I give you all credit as this is said to be one of the toughest growth milestones to traverse and we are forging ahead, testing new ideas and challenging one another to push this company to new levels. Yes, it’s a changing time at Dyn but it is an exciting time too.

Cons

As stated above, Dyn’s leadership is making strides in product and market positioning and this biggest Con at dyn is the unfortunate few vocal employees take these marks of transition and market fit as a lack of direction and leadership. Any organization I have worked for exhibits constant change to adhere to the needs of the business and if we think we could operate as the scrappy albeit passionate Dyn of ole and still exhibit the growth we are looking to achieve I think we would be amiss. I’m a proud member of the marketing team which means I am smack in the middle of message and market transitions. Change needs to acknowledged for what it is, a means of growth and innovation. It is not a lack of direction nor leadership but an example of savvy executives who get the industry and want to position Dyn to win. I hate to say it but the Con is us (at least a few of us). We all need to stop being a part of the problem by resisting change but being a part of the solution and operating with a team mentality; after all, we are all marching toward the same goal!

Advice to Management

Keep making the tough decisions to keep our brand, product and reputation a reputable contender among the industry. Test, analyze, pivot. We are a SaaS company, if we are not agile we are not competitive.

"No complaints on my end"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, NH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, NH

I have been working at Dyn full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unlimited PTO, work/life balance, unparalleled benefits, great work atmosphere. You're able to be your own unique self here without being judged. You can bring your dog to work. Super smart colleagues and almost everyone you meet is exceptionally friendly. Never feel micro-managed. Management trusts you to get your work done so if you want to have a beer or play a game of ping pong, you don't feel like you'll be penalized afterwards. Location in downtown Manchester is great! Department teams go out on fun outings just because we've been working hard ex: paintball, bowling, movies. Private cafe on site with delicious food. Free lunch every Tuesday.

Cons

Sure the workload can be crazy at times. Management may be trying to figure out the best strategy for the future of Dyn and may make mistakes along the way but when you look at Dyn overall...this company is unmatched! These people who complain about this places makes me think they've never worked outside of Dyn and are forgetting how unforgiving other companies are. The mundane work environment where everyone looks completely miserable? Not here!

I'm all for opinions and other people's point of views but the person below who said we didn't get a bonus this year must not be paying attention to his pay stubs because we've had TWO bonuses this year...the 3rd will be paid out in early 2017...so get your facts straight and don't lie please.

"Trying but failing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, NH

I worked at Dyn full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company has many structural issues, so they try to make up for it by making it a "fun" place. This includes beer on tap, bring your dog to work and softball games.

Cons

Serious issue with their management. Three CEOs in the last 6 months. Marketing has too much power and is not very effective, spending tons of money and flooding the sales team with "leads" that lead to nowhere. Most of the talented sales people have left, and there is no discipline to the sales process. Development produces products that they think companies want without actually talking to them, and then release them before they are ready. The product mix is unrelated, with remote access and email and DNS in the portfolio spreading focus on unrelated offerings.

Advice to Management

Shed the distractions, focus your go to market, get the entire company on the same page and hold people accountable.

"Customer Support"

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

Pros

Great environment! Very supportive staff and Management. Great Benefits Package!

Cons

None come to mind when it comes to Dyn!

"Struggling to Find Their Niche"

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Lakewood, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Lakewood, OH

I have been working at Dyn (Less than a year)

Pros

Good people from top to bottom with a sincere desire to grow, be sensitive to employees needs and provide a service to customers. Sr Management listens to employees.

Cons

Growth is stymied as they figure out where the market needs is for their product/service. Are they ahead of the market or will the market not materialize - that is the $1M question. Still pivoting to a customer centric organization. Good product vision but need to invest in the product development to see that this vision is realized.

"Management Unable to make decisions"

I worked at Dyn full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cool office space and cafe, good use of tools like Slack and Jira, Mac laptops for all.

Cons

- Little respect for employees
    - Machiavellian management approach, discapline by ambush and isolation
    - Unable to plan beyond near term
    - Insane approach to sales, no consideration for margin or collateral damage resulting For a bad deal. Compleatly nutty policies that encourage sales folks _not to call on existing customers for certain products.
    - Really weird policies for office space management, folks could start a range war just by moving to the next seat over without asking permission from hr.
    - Pretty rotten compensation packages for a company wanting to appear entrepreneurial
    - Seems they paraded ever republican candidate through the place and made a huge deal about it, but we never saw a democrat or independent

Advice to Management

Glad to see that Oracle saw value in the company and the multiplier was good. Maybe now some seasoned managers can get in and help steer the ship and some of the bozos can find something else to do.

"It Was A Great Place To Work... Was."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, NH

I worked at Dyn full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Incredible health insurance benefits
    - A lot of really talented professionals I was proud to call coworkers
    - Convenient office location
    - Active in the community regarding STEM education
    - World-class Client Services and NOC teams

Cons

Don't let the title of this review fool you - WAS is the operative word in the title.

Dyn once was a great place to work, not so much anymore. Culture, or their variation on the theme, is dead. I was on Facebook the other day and was horrified to see that the once beloved Geek Week, once the hallmark of Dyn's culture, had been compressed down into a day. I get it, businesses are in business to make great products and sell them to customers - work hard, play hard was once the mantra around the office, but it seems that's gone.

The company and its leadership have failed to see the forest for the trees - instead of listening to individual contributors and mid-management who had tremendously excellent ideas of how to further bolster Dyn's position as a leader in their respective markets (there are so many now, not just DNS), outside hires were made and the soul of the company was pushed out.

Sales management has devolved to rabid cold-calling tactics. It's clear that the success of the Dyn sales force was with a select few, who have since left for greener pastures.

Product management and engineering excel at bike-shedding (don't know what that is? Google it.) over minutia instead of delivering the solutions their customers are asking for. Tech debt runs rampant across all products, and is rarely paid down unless a big angry customer threatens to leave. Innovation lies in the hands of the individual contributors in engineering - while they could step up and help fix the problems, they're disgruntled and getting drunk at lunch.

Marketing, which was once a transformative force in getting the Dyn brand out there, only stokes this tire fire that continues to burn unabated.

If you're looking at Dyn for a prospective employer and considering applying - don't.

If you're currently at Dyn and reading these reviews for validation for your decision to leave, do it! You're at least 30% underpaid in the market, and there's a lot of great new companies springing up out of incubators around the state, so driving into Boston may not even be your option.

Advice to Management

Instead of spending your time spackling 5-star reviews all over Glassdoor every time someone speaks the truth, why not spend that time re-engaging your largely disgruntled workforce and try to salvage what's left of your tarnished reputation.

"An honest review"

I worked at Dyn full-time

Pros

Insurance is mostly paid for although I see that going away, deductible reimbursement, free sandwiches on Tuesdays, and there are some very smart/amazing people that still work there.

Cons

Unfortunately, those very smart/amazing people are not part of the disgraceful management team. Dyn used to be a great place to be. The tech was innovative, the leadership was "work hard/play hard", and they actually cared about their employees. However, over the last few years, an unknown person who took over majority stake decided to cut out those who ACTUALLY cared and made Dyn a great place.... And hired his buddies who have zero qualifications to run a business. And that quickly showed, because look where the place is now.

Old tech with no innovation whatsoever, awful support, and the worst part of it all.. ZERO respect for their employees. They'll get you to join because they offer a cool office with a slide and beer (that they actually throw a lock on until after business hours), but you'll quickly see it's a dark place where you feel just awful every time you walk in the door. Marketing is a horrific joke of a crew. The "leadership" there never even worked in Marketing before, and somehow they just allow him to keep lying to everyone's face. FYI Marketing leadership: No one even listens to you anymore. SOPs is run by a mix of people that have never worked in the industry (let alone Sales), and young kids who actually do all of the grunt work for an extremely low paycheck. Guys: you can make SO MUCH more elsewhere. Without the abuse. And with a leader who actually knows what they're doing; not just hiding in an office scrolling through Instagram and pretending to work.

Sales is a disaster and the management has no clue how to sell DNS, especially to a technical buyer. They grossly underpay, and God forbid you speak up and call out the BS because they will do whatever they can to slowly kick you out the door. They see those people as a threat and worry about exposure for who they really are. They either wear rose-colored glasses and truly are that ignorant, or... They are only there to ensure they get their big check when the company is finally acquired. They do not care about anyone besides themselves. After this has ended, they'll all slither away together in their group to the next place and do it all over again.

HR: Instead of posting these fake 5-star reviews, which are laughable because of how OBVIOUS they are, maybe you should actually do your job and help protect the people who keep Dyn (barely) running. Instead, you meet with the management behind closed doors and push people out who try and make a difference for the better. Shame on you.

Advice to Management

It's clear to everyone that the main goal is to get acquired. But new CEO, you seem like a smart guy. Remove all these awful so-called "leaders" and try to, at the very least, boost the moral of your employees. Many of them are some of the brightest, smartest people you'll ever meet. You should feel very lucky that they're still even there, although that time is running out. No one is happy anymore and it's the folks that report directly to you that have caused this. Stop coming out with products and lame acronyms that no one has ever even heard of... IPM? Have you ever tried selling that directly?

Advice to anyone looking to work for Dyn: Don't. You'll soon regret it. There are so many other companies out there that have innovative solutions, that care about their customers and employees, and have excellent leadership. And you deserve to be a part of a great team.

Advice to anyone looking to hire the current management team when the Dyn era is over: Run in the opposite direction!!!

10. "Systems Engineering Intern"

Pros

. Fast learning environment
    . Close knit culture

Cons

.Pay is not as per expectation

"Better than many, not the best"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, NH

I worked at Dyn full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Unlimited PTO is great for a working parent, and the health care coverage was awesome. Those on my immediate team were wonderful to work with, and I was lucky enough to work for a manager who had my back. There are gems in upper management who really understand how to run a team. I saw many people get plenty of advancement opportunities within the company. Great place to learn.

Cons

Not sure at all where the company is going - and I'm not sure the leadership does either. The team I managed was grossly underpaid and upper management was in denial about it. Most communications from upper management were spun far too optimistically, which makes me wonder whether or not they could craft solutions to big problems. There were typically administrative processes serving as barriers to just get my job done - even when those tasks were essential to the business. These are all solvable issues, and if solved, that could convince me to work there again. Be aware that many of the perks are being slowly eroded - 100% paid medical is gone, and the small ones get removed one at a time.

Advice to Management

Foster a get-stuff-done mentality by removing unnecessary processes and trusting your individual contributors. Make more deliberate hires at that lower level. Remedy poor pay. Bring in transparency!