Dyson Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dyson CEO Max Conze
Max Conze

Pros
  • Good culture, work life balance, good company make good product (in 13 reviews)

• Great products, enthusiastic and sincere employees, thorough training and support (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Aloof out of touch senior management (in 16 reviews)

• Middle management not the most competent- many "years of service" style promotions (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Probably the best"

Current Employee - Dyson Demonstrator in Newport News, VA
    Current Employee - Dyson Demonstrator in Newport News, VA

I have been working at Dyson part-time

Pros

Easily the best job I've ever had (I'm only 24 though) high paying, super relaxed, hands on field work.

Managers are the tops, comes with incentives AND bonuses- they will treat you so so well.

Cons

Pay cycle is weird, gotta drive 45 minutes to location, only work weekends

Advice to Management

Nothing- they have this on lock!!! Simply the best.

Sep 27, 2016 – Talent Engagement Specialist

Hi there, thanks very much for leaving a review. It's great to read about your enthusiasm for working at Dyson in the US. We'll ensure your comments are passed on to the right people shortly. Thanks ... More

"Dyson Expert (formerly Demonstrator)"

Current Employee - Expert (Formerly Demonstrator) in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Expert (Formerly Demonstrator) in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Dyson (More than 3 years)

Pros

We get to explain and show off Dyson technology to consumers either before or after purchase. Dyson owners tend to be very loyal to the brand because of the quality and effectiveness of the products. They are also some of our best customers for new products being introduced. It is a pleasure to hear daily from people who are in love with their Dyson vacuums and blade-less fans. If any issues do arise, there are solutions for them, including free phone support, a first class customer service department, excellent warranties and technical service and even free preventive maintenance in many markets. The job we do is also a benefit to our owners for follow-up questions about their products and helping them to get the very most from all their Dyson products.

While there are some administrative tasks outside of the retail locations where we work, all work is paid for at the same rate, so we are encouraged to submit our admin work, training, work related phone calls, etc.

I've worked with several managers -- all very professional and supportive -- some of the best I've ever worked with.

We get to use many of the products at home, and have occasional opportunities to earn products of our own.

New product lines being developed and introduced. Dyson is a very forward leaning company.

The work is strictly part-time.

Cons

This job is a rare gem -- working the the very best products, excellent people, in pleasant locations. All you need to bring with you is a willingness to learn, a helpful spirit, and a great attitude. I can think of no drawbacks.

Advice to Management

I personally prefer the bonuses being based on our team effort, as they have been for the last several years I have worked with the company.

Oct 31, 2016 – Talent Engagement Specialist

Hi there, thanks very much for leaving a detailed review. It's great to hear you speak so positively of your time working at Dyson working with customers and sharing our story and technology so ... More

"Demonstrator"

Current Employee - Product Demonstrator in East Hanover, NJ
    Current Employee - Product Demonstrator in East Hanover, NJ

I have been working at Dyson part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Discount, its weekend work, not horrible for part time work

Cons

Expected to sell, but when you are put at a location with little or no inventory you are set up to fail

Advice to Management

Shorten Demo hours, 4 hours makes more sense if you want employees to stay focused.
    Train your Field Managers to have better people skills when it comes to dealing with sensitive issues, Manager in New Jersey is Horrible and many of the demonstrators are unhappy with him.

"Great pay, great benefits, that's it!"

Former Employee - Customer Experience Specialist in Aurora, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Experience Specialist in Aurora, IL

I worked at Dyson full-time

Pros

The pay is decent for a call center, you also get holidays and Sundays off, which was a plus of working there. Full-time employees also got benefits. The other representatives were a lot of fun to talk to, and I made many friends there.

Cons

The customers are entitled, and make insane demands. They do things to their vacuums (such as picking up sheetrock and/or dead animals) and then demand that you give them a new vacuum. Management can be helpful sometimes in these cases, but they're never clear on what the cutoff time is, etc. (which is part of the reason I got fired--I wasn't sure of what the cutoff time was, and I advised the customer the wrong way, which led to an argument.) Also, if you value your dignity, STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE! Management will let customers take a crap all over you, and will even allow customers to threaten lawsuits (in some cases, sexually offensive language and racially abusive language was allowed and calls were never disconnected.) The last customer I had threatened to sue Dyson because he was being an entitled crybaby, and not only did management give him a new vacuum with a 5 year warranty, they fired me, too, using me as a human shield. Anything to save their own hide. Good thing we don't have upper management running a counterterrorism force--they'd let the terrorists run rampant all over the free world, and would cave in to all their demands. Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot!

Advice to Management

I understand meetings are important, but you had too many of them. Also, consider the mental health of your workers, they are people, not punching bags! Stop allowing customers to treat us like dirt! That's why I snapped on the customer like I did (I admit I was a bit obnoxious to him, and with good reason: he may as well have been given a free diaper and pacifier, because he was such a big baby!)--I don't take kindly to being a punching bag, and it's even worse when people you trusted hold you and your job in front of an angry customer, like a human shield. I'm sure by now, any management who is reading this review can figure out who this is. I enjoyed working with my fellow call representatives, but this job was seriously not healthy. The fact that the upper echelon cares little about the well being of its representatives, and more about profit and customers should tell you why the pay and benefits are so great, and why the turnover rate is so high. Put your reps BEFORE your clients--that's what's best for business! Happy reps will work that much harder for you. Maybe I'd have more respect for management right now if they let us stand up for ourselves against angry callers, rather than having us bend over for them. Instead of spending all of your time, huddled in the back room, while us grunts have to deal with these morons, maybe be more active on the floor? Thanks!

6. "Dyson expert"

Current Employee - Dyson Expert in Yonkers, NY
    Current Employee - Dyson Expert in Yonkers, NY

I have been working at Dyson part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It an awesome company to work for.

Cons

The work is usually on weekends

7. "Dyson functions as a start-up. Put in the work and you will succeed."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aurora, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aurora, IL

I have been working at Dyson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Promote based on performance not tenure. Dyson allows its employees to "create" their opportunities. Just like most things in life, if you take advantage of situations and put in the work you will be successful. If you sit back and complain about management and never look at yourself and your own performance then you'll be leaving negative feedback and eventually be a former employee.

Cons

Internal Technology should be as good as the products that Dyson makes. Small opportunity.

Advice to Management

Continue pushing the envelope and reward employees that produce results. Results matter and management should continue to lead this way.

Sep 5, 2016 – Talent Engagement Specialist

Hi there, thanks for leaving a review. It's great to hear you talking about performance- we encourage people to drive their own careers forward and to manage performance with their line managers ... More

"Dyson employee during office transition burbs"

Former Employee - Customer Experience Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Experience Specialist in Chicago, IL

I worked at Dyson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Originally it was the office was in the loop, easy commute. Training was thorough and good information on the product. Most of the people I worked with were great, originally. I was in customer service dept and that was the first time i had worked in a call center.

Cons

Moved the call center to the suburbs. Longer commute, many times I was late using Metra. The quality of the employees deteriorated. They were so focused on metrics, they failed to see other strengths of employees.

Sep 5, 2016 – Talent Engagement Specialist

Thank you for getting in touch about your experience of working at Dyson. We appreciate it can take a while to adjust to a change in office space so thank you for giving us your feedback. We'll make ... More

"Excellent Part-Time Job"

Current Employee - Dyson Expert in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Dyson Expert in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at Dyson part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay is great and you will get sales experience. You will demonstrate Dyson products at major retailers and try to increase customer sales. The job doesn't sound sexy at first, but Dyson truly values its employees and pays handsomely. This sales job is not commission-based, so you will always get paid.

Cons

The work is on the weekends and you'll be alone. You must stand for 8 hours and be able to lift vacuums to load into your car.

Advice to Management

Since employee hours are limited, how about adding extra bonuses, commission, or incentives for performance?

Jul 5, 2016 – Talent Engagement Specialist

Hi there. It's great that you've had positive experiences working as a Dyson expert. Thanks very much for your suggestions, I'll ensure these get passed on to the right people. - The talent ... More

"GREAT COMPANY"

Current Employee - Retail Coordinator in Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Retail Coordinator in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at Dyson (More than a year)

Pros

This a great company to work for. I love my job and love all the people I have met.

Cons

I have found NONE. This job and company is all I thought it would be.

Jul 14, 2016 – Talent Engagement Specialist

Hi there, Thanks for taking the time to submit a review. It's great to hear you're enjoying your time working at Dyson. Following the exciting launch of our new Supersonic hairdryer, we now have ... More

11. "Technical Service Administrator"

Former Employee - Technical Services Administrator in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Technical Services Administrator in Chicago, IL

I worked at Dyson (More than 3 years)

Pros

great customers, great employees and supervisors, great product.

Cons

i can't think of any.