EOG Reviews | Glassdoor

EOG Chairman and CEO William R. Thomas
William R. Thomas

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "years of experience in the oil and gas industry, 25 years of total work history and I still can't find a job in Tyler, TX or surrounding area" (in 3 reviews)

• "Trying to transition from contract to full-time can be a bit of a stretch, particularly when the oil market is down" (in 3 reviews)

1. "research"

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at EOG (Less than a year)

Pros

great people that want you to be your best
    good pay

Cons

worked far from home every week.

Advice to Management

drilling unit in san Antonio is good

2. "Midland divison"

I have been working at EOG full-time

Pros

There’s a lot of activity here, which means there’s quite a bit of opportunity to learn different things. Since it’s a growing division there’s a lot of places where you can improve the outcome, and you have the freedom to work on a diverse range of projects.

Cons

Midland is a horrible town to live in, it can’t be understated. Management for the most part doesn’t care to get to know anyone. And the level of technical expertise seems to be very low here. The salary isn’t competitive compared to other operators in the area, and the office amenities are almost non existent. For those reasons, the attrition is very high.

Advice to Management

Pay people more to live here. Get a gym, a coffee shop, a day care, anything.

3. "Tyler Division Closed - December 09, 2016"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tyler, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tyler, TX

I worked at EOG full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I LOVED my job at EOG Resources, Inc. and I was good at my job and I was compensated very well for the work that I performed and I would still be working there at the Tyler Division had it not closed. I worked 6.5 years and I was vested in the company. EOG Resources, Inc. had awesome benefits, health insurance, vacation policy, sick leave, SARS, etc. All things considered, EOG Resources, Inc. was simply the best company I have ever worked for and also the worst.

Cons

Closure of the Tyler Division was a bitter pill to swallow and was totally not expected on my part. I knew the industry had not been doing well but never in my wildest dreams did I think the office would ever close. I mean, we had employees that had been working there for over 20 years. Other O&G companies had weathered the storm and I thought EOG would follow suit. Apparently I was wrong! Note to Management...Other options could have been explored and tried before ultimately closing the office. There were many cost saving opportunities that were missed and never implemented over the years. Opportunities for transfers could have been made a year in advance and a skeleton crew could have been left in Tyler since all our work is done electronically anyway without any employee losing their job. Because now here I sit almost 2 years later with over 3100 connections on LinkedIn, a bachelors degree, 9+ years of experience in the oil and gas industry, 25 years of total work history and I still can't find a job in Tyler, TX or surrounding area...not full time permanent, not temporary, not anything. I feel like there is a stigma associated with working at EOG and other companies won't even consider me for a job.

Advice to Management

There were a lot of cost saving measures that could have been implemented, enforced and weren't. A year in advance, Management should have called an all employee mandatory meeting and had a “Come to Jesus Meeting” with all staff and explained the situation and addressed their concerns and asked for cost saving ideas so the staff feel included with the decisions that are being made regarding their well fare.
    First, they could have said….in order to not have to close the office or lay anyone off this is what we are going to try and do to see if it will make an impact on the situation and give it 6 months to see if they can see a difference.
    First, Management could have offered voluntary transfers to those wishing to transfer to other divisions and offered a move allowance regardless of your employment level within the company as an incentive to move.
    Second, Management could have offered a compensation package for those considering early retirement. I do recall that we did go through a couple of layoffs going back to 2014/2015.
    Third, Cut back on all expenses till further notice...No more business trips (do everything via teleconference); Meals (choose take out instead of restaurant); Meals (pay for self and no one else); Gas/Fuel (no meetings offsite, use teleconference or cell phone); Do not check out company vehicle (contact people via cell phone/teleconference); No business trips for training, educational purposes, Management Conference, etc. ; If you feel that you have to expense something then it must be pre-approved by your Manager, either via email or a note signed by your Manager and attached to your expense as a receipt; Cut back on food in the office (drinks, snacks, catering, etc.), etc.; We did consolidate the supplies (use what we have and if you want something else you will have to buy it yourself)and that was implemented; Sell off some company vehicles, sell off some office furniture, stop lease/rental of un-used office space (which they had just renewed a lease on office space for 18 months when they announced the company division closure); ETC… Once you implement those measures and they don't make an impact on the situation, then and only then should you consider a closure. At that point, you need to have another “Come to Jesus Meeting” and explain where you are regarding the status of the possible closure of the office. Then at that point if the decision is made to close the Tyler Division at least the employees know that EOG valued their input and tried to make it work but couldn’t. Then at that point, things could have been done to help those being laid off in finding other work locally. Employees were offered transfers to other locations. However, for some employees a transfer is not an option financially. For those employees that were going to be laid off and not transferring, local oil and gas companies could have been notified of the closure and a Job Fair could have been done in house with those participating companies to find the EOG employees other jobs. I feel that since the laid off employees were not to blame for the closure based on their job performance then management should have worked hard to find these employees other jobs. I am speaking only for myself because I have not been able to find another job for a year and nine months now and in December it will be 2 years I have been out of work.
    I am at my wits end because I don’t know what else to do at this point. I have applied for jobs online, signed up with 8 employment agencies/recruiters, networked with other EOG employees that I worked with in Tyler that found other jobs and have touched base with over 3100 employees on LinkedIn and still I sit here without a job. When I was hired to work at EOG it was a God send and being laid off from EOG has turned out to be my worst nightmare because no other company will even consider me. When did being over-qualified (educated, experienced and skilled) for a job become a bad thing?

"Work Hard"

Pros

Great stock growth, good technical skills

Cons

Dysfunctional management. Bill Thomas thinks its a privilege to work there. Never felt like management cared for my growth.

Advice to Management

Set aside your ego, listen to employees rather than running them over.

5. "IT Services"

I have been working at EOG full-time

Pros

Innovative practices make EOG an industry leader
    Great benefits
    Good work/life balance
    Relaxed in-office atmosphere

Cons

Must work in-office, no telecommuting
    Interdepartmental lack of communication

"Manager"

I worked at EOG full-time

Pros

EOG offers great resources to employees.

Cons

EOG has too many internal politics and an homogenous workforce

Advice to Management

be consistent and have integrity

7. "I am loving EOG! Accountant working here for a year and a half."

Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Houston, TX

I have been working at EOG full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-EOG is the first company I've worked for that actually does something about problems (issues with bosses and lazy coworkers, staffing etc)
    -Pay is great compared to most companies
    -Most supervisors are completely flexible with work schedules as long as your work is done
    -Great location downtown
    -Medical and dental benefits are excellent compared to most companies. Adult orthodontia is covered to $2,500 per year
    -Gym in the building basement
    -Restaurant in the building basement
    -Connected to the tunnels to access shopping and restaurants
    -Park in the garage for all downtown events
    -Modified 9/80 i.e. M-Th 8.5-9 hour days, Fridays 4-6 hour days. Most supervisors are open to employees arriving anytime between 6-9am as long as they work the prescribed hours
    -Promote from within almost always

Cons

-Some bosses are unaware of the actual work it takes to get the job done
    -As with any company, a few people in a group do the most work while others skate by
    -Accounting software is outdated and antiquated which leads to much more work and analysis on the front end

Advice to Management

Update the accounting software to reduce errors and hours spent on analyzing the data so that the accountants can focus on larger projects with more efficiency. Also, meet with staff members often so that you're aware of who isn't carrying their weight of the work.

8. "Accountant"

I have been working at EOG full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Top of the line benefit. Work life balance. 4 weeks vacation for starter.

Cons

outdated system. Work fast and get more assignment.

Advice to Management

Be more fair when assign work

9. "Senior"

Pros

Generous vacation and sick leave

Cons

No room for growth or advancement

10. "Best oil and gas company"

I have been working at EOG full-time

Pros

Team oriented approach, focus on results rather than politics

Cons

Ups and downs inherent to the oil and gas market