ESPN Reviews | Glassdoor

ESPN President John Skipper
John Skipper

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The hours are non-traditional, resulting in not a great work-life balance because shifts can be 4a-1p or 5p-2a (in 35 reviews)

• Some events require working long hours (in 26 reviews)

1. "Everyday is different and exciting."

Current Employee - Security Associate in Bristol, CT
    Current Employee - Security Associate in Bristol, CT

I have been working at ESPN full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People are the reason for working here. Also MIckey Mouse is out boss and the discounts to all Walt Disney has to offer for famIlies.

Cons

Don't have any cons at this time. The place is centrally located to everywhere. So no cons at this time.

2. "Great co-workers"

I worked at ESPN (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the best folks in the industry to work with.

Cons

Location in Manhattan was tough to get to

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to staff in order to grow the brand locally

3. "Maybe you will, maybe you won't"

I worked at ESPN full-time

Pros

Lots of great opportunities to learn

Cons

When revenue goals aren't met, expect layoffs.

4. "Solid place to work... Be prepared for Bristol, CT"

Former Employee - Production Assistant in Bristol, CT
    Former Employee - Production Assistant in Bristol, CT

I worked at ESPN full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Tremendous experience... You get opportunities to do different things and acquire different skills.
    - You share a lot in common with your co-workers so you'll naturally build friendships
    - Variety level of egos you will deal with. This is a positive. You'll get to learn with people that think extremely highly of themselves and you'll learn with very down to earth people.
    - Top notch equipment, studios, technology
    - A rare media company that can literally do anything it puts its mind to
    - Try to experience everything possible. The natural thing to do is to stick on one specific path (especially if it's working out for you). But it's extremely uncommon where one media company has a campus where: TV, radio, print, digital, business, etc is all located in one place. Treat this like college in a way. Try to experience as many things as you're allowed to.
    - Pay is fine if you make your living in central Connecticut. I was personally able to make ends meet being part time for a couple years.

Cons

- If you want something to do outside of work, it might be tough. Bristol is a pretty limited town and unless you're from a small town, it can get boring. Couple decent towns surround Bristol, but be ready to hate Bristol. The state itself is dying and many businesses HQ'd there have left. Hartford isn't all that special.
    - Due to where ESPN is located, it is common that your social life is connected to work. So when you're at work, you obviously think about work. When you're outside of work, you likely will be talking about work. Once again, this is a Bristol problem. Make sure you find your escape from work someway, somehow.
    - TONS of gossip. Don't get trapped in that environment. You just don't know who will start opening their mouth.
    - The management typically are 15+ years ESPN lifers. So the managers are very pro ESPN. The other issue with this is if you start on the ground floor, in all likelihood, those managers last did what you did 10+ years ago. Things change, so it can be a weird relationship since they're trying to give you guidance on something they know very little about.
    - Upward mobility can be tough. If you consistently good work, you'll probably eventually get promoted. But it's a major company so politics will play a part in promotions. Don't let it get you down.
    - Figure out who the people you can't trust right away. If you find out too late, it might be too late for you.

Advice to Management

- Less "Do As I Do, Not As I Say."
    - Be there for your employees. ESPN has a philosophy that "the employee has control over his/her destiny." This is maybe 25% true. Of course you need to work hard and produce quality work... But apart from that, managers need to be there for employees. And I'm not even talking about more important stuff. Don't hide.
    - Gossip less please... I shouldn't be hearing you describe other managers in language I can't use on-air. Sets a bad example for your employees.
    - Stand up to talent... I shouldn't have witnessed some of the things I witnessed because you grew up idolizing a talent who you work with now and were afraid to do what was right.

5. "manager"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Bristol, CT
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Bristol, CT

I have been working at ESPN full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good moving package and decent benefits

Cons

work is highly stressful and isn't equally distributed

Advice to Management

consistency

6. "Content Associate"

I worked at ESPN full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The day to day at ESPN can be fantastic. From the Wellness benefits, to the beautiful campus and cafeteria, to celebrity sightings, and to working amazing events can really offer a lot of fulfilling life moments and experiences. ESPN works very hard to make the office feel like a special place.

Cons

Like any big company, it's very competitive, and ESPN as a whole views everyone as expendable. Upward mobility can be challenging, and not always fair. It can be very difficult to make your work stand out, even when performing at a high level, because of the sheer size of the company

Advice to Management

Most people at ESPN look upwards, and not downwards. If everyone in their position did the opposite, it would be a much healthier place to work.

7. "Sports factory"

I have been working at ESPN full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- It's called the Worldwide Leader in Sports for a reason. The network other sports networks consider the standard.
    - The resources at your disposal are considerably superior to its competition. Can gain lots of experience right away.
    - It is impossible not to meet and bond with people with interests similar to your own. Many employees relocated and have the same passion for sports.

Cons

In my opinion:
    - ESPN is an empire, but its stranglehold is loosening. Layoffs in 2013, 2015, 2017.
    - Since it's a large corporation, there are a lot of politics. The employees with the highest written evaluation marks don't necessarily get promoted.
    - Upper management sends mixed messages about what they expect from employees. What one boss preaches may contradict what another boss would like to see.

Advice to Management

Management needs to look at themselves in the mirror and ask if they honestly feel they are providing adequate feedback. Cliched lines such as "keep doing what you're doing" and "you're doing all the right things" is lazy advice and suggests managers do not actually care about their employees' success.

8. "Production Intern"

Former Employee - Production Intern
    Former Employee - Production Intern

I worked at ESPN (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers included me rather than just making me get coffee, was a very educational experience

Cons

I don't really have any cons

9. "awful enviorment"

I worked at ESPN full-time

Pros

if you're a democrat you'll be in heaven

Cons

if you're a republican prepare to be silent or be considered trouble

Advice to Management

be fair to all employees

10. "Associate Editor"

Former Employee - Associate Editor in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Editor in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at ESPN (More than 3 years)

Pros

Experience to work in big sports events.

Cons

People are not very talented, specially from supervisors.
    Supervisor don't like to hear new ideas, they actually hate them. They make you feel that you are not important at all.
    Payment is extremely low, benefits not great.
    Not a lot of space to grow,
    If you have family will be difficult to live on these conditions.
    You will struggle to pay you rent and you will need to find a roommate or live very far from the studios in order for you to pay the rent.
    Salary is really, be aware!