ESPN Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at ESPN

Sort:

Associate Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ESPN (New York, NY).

Interview

Standard interview process with HR and then department head and some staff. Nice to have the opportunity to meet and see the facility and operation. Was able to ask any questions and meet other employees and discuss work culture, environment and specifics other staff enjoyed. Was able to follow up with candid questions.

Associate Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at ESPN (Bristol, CT) in February 2015.

Interview

Phone interview and then in-person interview with the hiring manager. Interviews themselves were pretty standard (tell me about a time when...) but follow-up was very unprofessional in that it was non-existent. I contacted the hiring manager and HR rep repeatedly over the following months to get a status on my candidacy and, if I heard back, always got a generic "we're still making a decision" answer. There is a website where you can check your status in the hiring process and it remaining unchanged for, literally, months. Finally, through some strategic LinkedIn searching I discovered that they hired someone else for the role - which is, obviously, 100% fine. What bothered me was the lack of communication. I never got an official rejection email or phone call which would be OK if I had just submitted a resume but once you bring someone in for a personal interview I think you owe them the courtesy of a formal notification once they're no longer in the running. Just my opinion.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had manage a difficult situation w/ a partner...   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, CT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at ESPN (Bristol, CT).

Interview

a recruiting team called me and set me up with the interview. i was there a week later for the interview process. overall it went a lot better than expected, they liked to talk sports but overall they go back and forth between friendly and down to business which i liked. you really need to know sports & grammar, i received a sports quiz and grammar test after my interview to complete

Interview Questions

• why do you want to work at ESPN?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Bristol, CT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ESPN (Bristol, CT) in June 2013.

Interview

The Superior Group, a recruiter found my resume. His big client is ESPN. I had two phone interviews. 1:1 with recruiter. 1:1 with ESPN to include a conference call with two managers. ESPN interviewed 3 other people besides me. I thought I was not picked for the job but ESPN showed interest in me. The process was pretty easy and straight forward. There is an intensive background check. All new employers are also required to get photographed for credentials to be inside the building.

Interview Questions

• All technical related questions and sports questions. Nothing major or particular.   Answer Question

Negotiation

It was $15.00 an hour, four month contract to hire position with oppertunity possibly to stay on. ESPN has to buyout your contact. There was little negociation. Be flexible with your hourly rate.

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ESPN (Dallas, TX) in January 2011.

Interview

Was originally interviewing for a part-time job. Eventually was offered a full-time position. Interviewed first with the Program Director, easy going and a lot of Q&A on both ends. We then set up an interview with the Assistant Program Director, that process was the same. Had to interview with the General Manager the following day. That was a bit intimidating at first, but once we we found out we had a lot of mutual colleague the conversation flowed. Once that was completed I had to set up a phone interview with the Director that was in charge of this affiliate. That was a 20 minute conversation. All interviews were smooth, once you talk about the business and the previous journeys you have experienced, it showed your experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at ESPN (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied for this job through a temp agency ad I found on Indeed.

First, I want to say that one thing I didn't like about this whole process was going through a staffing agency. You are completely isolated from the actual company you are applying for...the only person you can contact is the recruiter, so you never really know what is going on because many times the recruiter doesn't know what's going on and it makes the process very frustrating.

I was contacted by one of the agency's recruiters 1-2 days after submitting my application. The recruiter was friendly and felt I would be a good fit. The Associate Producer role was a 3-5 month temp position, with the possibility to hire, so I was definitely interested.

Once I gave the recruiter the go ahead to forward my info to ESPN, I got a same-day follow-up from the hiring manager, who told the recruiter they were interested in my application, but expressed concern about my lack of experience/interest in sports based on my resume. The recruiter had me write up a response about my sports experience and interest in ESPN.

I was sure I must have failed my explanation about my interest in sports/ESPN because for about a week, I heard nothing. The recruiter said it can take some time for them to decide on candidates to interview. At the beginning of the 2nd week of waiting, I got a call from my recruiter saying ESPN wanted a phone-screen interview for the end of that week.

Day of my phone screen, I never get a call from ESPN because the recruiter had made a mistake by thinking it was a phone-screen interview, when really ESPN wanted me to do an in-person interview! Talk about a big mistake. The recruiter and his team were super embarrassed, but got me rescheduled for a in-person at the beginning of the following week.

I had my interview with the producer I would be working under. He was friendly and very casual. I overall felt really good about the whole process. The questions were pretty standard, and he didn't ask me any difficult sports questions, which was the one thing I was nervous about. He asked me about my job experience, which sports and teams I watched, and about the different ESPN shows. The interview was about 30 min and afterwards he gave me a tour of their studios and offices, and we discussed the job position more. Before parting, he told they should have a decision by beginning of the following week.

I found out 2 weeks later, that they went with another candidate, but I think it was good interview process regardless. Just be prepared and know your knowledge about recent sports events/scores and about the company.

Interview Questions

• I see you don't have much sports experience on your resume...Why do you want to work for ESPN?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at ESPN (Bristol, CT) in July 2013.

Interview

Two phone interviews. Third interview flew to Bristol, CT for in person interview. Consisted of 6 30 minute interviews with various managers.

Interview Questions

• Pretty softball questions. Talked about my background and what my role would be with the company.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at ESPN (New York, NY) in August 2015.

Interview

The whole process took me about 3 weeks. I applied on line and later a campus recruiter contact me about the interview. First the HR asked me some basic questions and later come a technical interviewer. The interviewer is very nice and funny. They called me exactly on time.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ESPN in August 2017.

Interview

Phone screen with HR and video call with engineers discussing technical ability, technical experience, work experience, company culture, and other common interview topics. Overall, HR for Disney and ESPN is great and the interview was a pleasant experience.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your experience working at [insert position]. What technologies did you work with? What problems did you solve? etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ESPN (Bristol, CT) in March 2017.

Interview

First of all a phone call interview with HR, then a phone call interview with the team of Engineers (expect some technical questions). Finally onsite 3-4 interviews with the team (Mostly technical). The process was very simple and the person from HR was really helpful and responsive.

Interview Questions

• Many technical questions. keep your concepts clear and some questions from your resume.   Answer Question