Edlen Electrical Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Edlen is a Family!"

Current Employee - Event Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Event Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Edlen Electrical full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Edlen is very much a family. It is a small company so you don't feel like a number. I usually feel appreciated for the work that I do. The starting salary is good, and the raise schedule is much better than that of a larger corporation. The travel is not mandatory but is a nice change of pace. Upper management is very friendly and understanding.

Cons

The Chicago office is very slow and has a high turnover. There is no real procedure standard throughout the company and no training plan. The health benefits are not great. The other benefits (sick leave etc.) are so bad they are laughable. "Bodies" are hired [temporarily] *read hired full time and let go* to fill positions knowing they will not be a good fit for the company or that role. Employees are asked to step outside of their job duties to fill gaps in other positions with little to no training. I was promised more OT but this office is slow and I haven't been given much opportunity for travel.

Advice to Management

Put together procedure standards and a stringent training plan. Hire smarter, not just bodies to temporarily fill a position. Don't expect everyone to be willing or even able to step outside of their job duties to fill gaps in other positions. Many of the employees that have been here for a while are not open to change. The company comes across old-fashioned in it's website and in other aspects.

"Wouldn't recommend to a friend"

Former Employee - Event Services Manager
    Former Employee - Event Services Manager

Pros

Branch locations get quite a bit of freedom to operate how they wish.
    You get to experience some cool/unique venues and events on occasion.
    Fully paid medical and dental premiums and an IRA match.

Cons

Operations are antiquated, literally from old equipment and facilities to "we've always done it that way" mentality to the actual age of the management and leadership teams.
    There's no defined company branding or culture. I worked there 2.5 years and have no idea what the company's mission or values are. Those should be communicated day 1. What I gathered from my time there, the culture can be described as old, unable to change and wanting employees to give over their whole life to working. Being sick or taking a vacation was definitely frowned upon. This could be somewhat just the mentality of my branch, but shortly before I left corporate rolled out a policy where a VP had to approve any PTO days taken 9 months of the year. Only the other 3 months could you take PTO with approval from a branch manager. So it seemed to be a company-wide mentality. Finally, there's little transparency and communication from the top. For a rather small organization, there are a lot of layers and bureaucracy.
    Little room for growth, at least at my small branch. Larger branches promoted from within. Few development opportunities.
    Compensation wasn't great. Event staff are paid hourly, and there are generally lots of opportunities to work overtime due to the sporadic event schedule. If there's lots of overtime to be worked, you can make some good money, but that also means you work tons of hours. Event staff are expected to work weeks and weeks on end without a single day off at busy times, but it's thought to be ok because you make overtime. Legal? Yes. But bad for burnout.
    Then there are the low seasons where there is literally nothing to do but twiddle your thumbs all day.
    To end the list, I, quite frankly, didn't feel good about having to sell the services Edlen sells. They're ridiculously expensive, mainly due to union labor (another antiquated aspect of the industry). I felt like the "bad guy" working there, knowing clients only used us because they had to. I can't say I left proud to work there.

Advice to Management

Build a company culture employees can define, understand, and want to adhere to.