Edmodo Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

"Inspiring place to work!"

Former Employee - Engineer in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Edmodo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great company culture. Management transparency, cool office and perks (including gym membership and catered lunch)
    - Strong engineering team that values good practices and getting things done.
    - Mission driven company with close ties to its users. Many former educators work at Edmodo. Passionate teachers write in with ideas and share how they're using the product. It's inspiring to see how Edmodo is used around the globe to improve learning outcomes.

Cons

Communication across the organization is not always as clear as it could be. Clearer priorities would help teams perform better.

Advice to Management

Clearly communicate the company-wide priorities and goals.

"Lacks Direction"

I worked at Edmodo full-time

Pros

There are many great co-workers who are talented and care about the company mission. The company culture and office space are nice. You frequently get feedback from teachers regarding how they use Edmodo, which is always uplifting.

Cons

The company lacks direction and cannot find a path to monetization. They are in a tough market to sell to, but the leadership is rudderless and ineffective.

Advice to Management

Take some time and come up with a strategy and comprehensive plan for execution. Stop being reactive and come up with thoughtful solutions.

"Diamonds in the rough"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Edmodo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of super friendly, passionate people. It was a great culture and had a good mission. The support team was fantastic.

Cons

With respect to engineering, there were some very talented people caught in a web of mediocrity.

Advice to Management

Understand who the target customer actually is (the entity that pays you). Remove unnecessary stuff from the site. It's cluttered and a lot of it is currently useless. Trim the fat. A lot of people that left/were asked to leave were the really good people, but the mediocre people seem to thrive in the eyes of management.

"Software Engineers"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Edmodo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can work from home twice a week and no one cares.

Cons

Poor management. The company has no direction for monetization. Half of the people are all gone to find a better situation.

"Smart and enthusiastic engineers"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Edmodo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People (engineers at least) aren't wasting time trying to blame one another for problems. They're all just focused on resolving issues they encounter, not fighting to see who's right or wrong as I've seen in my previous jobs. They're all very willing and open to help you with any issue you may have. It is so far the best group of people I've gotten to work with, and I do feel like I'm helping to build something good for the world.

Cons

The management has been bad for the most of 2014, but it did undergo drastic changes near the end and so far it's going well. They do seem to show appreciations for the people who work there, doing arbitrary team-building events and hosting fireside chats with the board members.

Advice to Management

So far it seems they're trying to amend their problems, so will have to give some time to see.

"Not a bad place to work and they're probably going places."

I have been working at Edmodo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved my time at Edmodo for the most part. While I did get frustrated working with some teams, I felt that the engineering team was very forward thinking and has some very talented people. A huge turnaround from where things stood at the beginning of 2013.

Most of the other companies in the space seem to be so far behind that I think Edmodo will succeed merely because the bar has been set pretty low.

Cons

I question the management sometimes. A ton of people became demotivated over 2014 and there was a huge amount of turnover. Most of it was voluntary but there were some layoffs/firings mixed in too.

Advice to Management

There was always a lot of uncertainty in the air the further you got from being in on management meetings. What is the company doing? Why are we doing this? Why aren't we doing this other thing? Answers were given but only when they were asked for and not necessarily in an inspiring way.

8. "A very good place"

Former Employee - Software Developer in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Edmodo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Vibrant Silicon Valley innovation spirit. Bright employees lead by bright management, all driven by a willing to improve the lives and outcomes of teachers, students and parents. I loved my time there!!!

Cons

Nothing negative to say about this company.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and make the company the next Facebook.

"Nice place to work"

I have been working at Edmodo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Environment is great! (co-workers)
    Chance to make big impact on a lot of users.
    Fast moving start up.
    Nice building, and benefits

Cons

As many start ups, stability is not guaranteed.
    Company decisions are sometimes puzzling.

"Passionate People"

I have been working at Edmodo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing mission that many people truly believe in helping education. Great culture full of fun activities and team building. Beautiful sunny office with catered lunches EVERYDAY!! Most people are team players and there is a lot of cross help from teams to teams.

Cons

Struggling in finding the best revenue model to follow, with a lack of management organization. Commute from the city is hard with Bay Area traffic.

"Great place to work and grow"

I worked at Edmodo full-time

Pros

Mission driven company with lots of impressive and dedicated people out to change education for the better. K12 education can be challenging, and CEO is completely transparent about everything including the most sensitive information. For the amibitious and opportunistic, this environment is a great one to learn and grow. People are given the flexibility to try innovative things and learn from both their successes and failures. The large passionate customer base also providers an endless source of motivation.

Cons

Lack of accountability on certain projects and there has been a lot of recent churn.

Advice to Management

Be a bit more hardlined and hold people accountable throughout the org.