Elastic Reviews | Glassdoor

Elastic Reviews

Found 146 reviews

4.1
Shay Banon
Pros
  • "commercial plugins model seems to be the best combination to make an open source business successful(in 24 reviews)

• "Very good work/life balance (for most)(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "Fast growth bring great opportunities, but also adds to workload, making work/life balance difficult at times(in 10 reviews)

• "The balance between open source and making money is a tough line to walk along, but Elastic do it pretty well(in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A home you can be proud of"

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer

I have been working at Elastic full-time for more than a year

Pros

I absolutely love working at Elastic. My recruiting and interview process was the best-organized and, frankly, most delightful experience I've had in my twenty-five year career. (Thanks, Anne!) The people at Elastic from the CEO on down really do care about your experience of working at the company and it's hard not to be reminded of that every day. I hope to work for Elastic for years and years to come.

Cons

Luckily, I'm experienced with distributed teams but those who aren't might want to think seriously about whether or not Elastic is the right choice. For some people it aligns with the way they naturally work but for others, it's a potential challenge.

Elastic2019-02-10

"Beyond my Expectations. I'm drinking the Kool-aid."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Elastic full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Everything I hoped for and more - Distributed by design, the culture needed for this kind of thing to actually work and scale appears to be successfully transmitted. - You talk to older employees and almost all of them are surprised that it has scaled. - Organization tries to measure and improve employee engagement. - Thoughtful leadership and approach to solving problems in the competitive market has been inspiring...

Cons

- Not much room for juniors to come in as the company is distributed. I don't believe that someone extremely junior could get what they need. Average age in the company is older as a result of not hiring juniors. Not really a con, just unfortunate that people can't experience Elastic until they are further on in their career. - Can be disorienting on-boarding. Distributed companies can "highlight" mental health risks...

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on the source code, over-communicate it again and again and again, because it's working. The source code and the culture are so important and it was transmitted to me within a few months. If we can keep the source code moving through the new hires, I don't know what the limits of the company are.

Elastic2019-05-20

"One of a kind!"

Former Employee - User Success Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Elastic full-time for more than a year

Pros

Management is incredible, Shay (CEO) has no ego and everyone is free to voice concerns with zero fears of repercussion. Fridges are fully stocked, ping pong tables and even yoga breaks throughout the day. Managers (especially in sales) make sure you are successful from day one and care about your wellbeing!

Cons

I honestly can't think of any. The only potential concern I see is that about 90% of our business is based on license sales and that 95% of those license sales are motivated by the security plug-in. Some of our largest customers aren't renewing because they can get elasticsearch security for free/cheaply from Amazon Elasticsearch Open Distro or with Search Guard.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! Don't give in to Amazon!

Elastic2019-05-17

"Awesome company"

Former Employee - Sales Director in New York, NY

I worked at Elastic full-time

Pros

Great technology, incredible market penetration (EVERY company uses the tech), awesome CEO and UNBELIEVABLE benefits (best in the industry, now I know)

Cons

With the massive growth hiring abounds, perhaps a bit too quickly as sales territories get pared fast minimizing opportunity -- it's a growing pain but can be significant if you spent long time developing customers.

Advice to Management

Get in the field as often as possible and not just for the "perfect" meetings -- often we were alerted that an exec was "in town" in 2 weeks and the scramble that ensued was both comical and daunting.

Elastic2019-05-02

"Great Company- Unless You Are A Women with Career Aspirations"

I worked at Elastic full-time for more than 6 years

Pros

Great Benefits Good overall work environment Amazing people Great products Very good work/life balance (for most)

Cons

Lot of talk about culture and I was and very early employee who saw the culture change quite a bit. I think things changed quite a bit once Shay became CEO. It used to be that employees where allowed to speak out without consequences. In my opinion, it's turned into a very autocratic culture. That's the main reason I left. I do recommend the company for most people as overall, it's a great company. Amazing people...

Advice to Management

Go back to the culture that Elastic was. Stop preaching diversity when there are practically no women in leadership positions at the company. Stop being a boys club! Go back to your roots and be a less autocratic company.

Elastic2019-05-03

"Not much room for growth if you are a woman"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Elastic full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of potential in the company. The technology behind the product is great.

Cons

Most of upper management are all men. If you are a woman looking for growth in an equal opportunity environment, this is not the place for you. Also micromanagement is a thing here. Upper management do not do work and put it on the junior employees to have everything done. If something falls through the cracks they blame and shame the employees.

Elastic2019-05-17
  7. "Great environment"

Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Elastic full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

Awesome market awareness Great work/life balance Impressive CEO Management team all "pitches in" when requested by field

Cons

Company growth expectations cut down on the territory

Elastic2019-03-26

"Profane and disrespectful"

Former Employee - Sales in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Elastic full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Worked side-by-side with some outstanding, wonderful peers!

Cons

Management is using fear, guilt and shame to scare people into compliance. Challenging teams generally pisseseach and every one off and is not a good way to build relationships. There are few things more damaging to human relationships than a sense of superiority. The ripple effects have a direct impact on creating or destroying a culture. Direct reports who are bold enough to express criticism get punished at Elastic....

Elastic2019-04-04

"Strong team, tons of momentum, getting better every day"

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager

I have been working at Elastic full-time for more than a year

Pros

Elastic is comprised of smart, hard-working people who don't take our success for granted. They put an extraordinary amount of trust in their employees and they give them a lot of responsibility. I'm impressed by my coworkers and glad to work here. The internal systems here create a lot of transparency into projects and accountability at a personal level.

Cons

It took me some time to get into my groove, particularly in figuring out how to filter down the high number of email notifications I receive within my role so that I only see the information that's most relevant to my projects. My advice to anyone new: we've all been there so don't be afraid to ask questions.

Advice to Management

I appreciate how open and direct the executive team is but you'll preserve the goodwill of your employees if you're consistently mindful of the fact that most mistakes aren't made due to a lack of good intentions.

Elastic2019-02-14
  10. "The best"

Current Employee - Video Editor in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Elastic

Pros

Elastic is a great company with great culture. People here is down to earth and very reliable.

Cons

So far there are not any “Cons” comments.

Advice to Management

Keep it going.

Elastic2019-02-03