Elastic Reviews | Glassdoor

Sign Up for FREE in seconds to unlock millions of salaries and reviews

Elastic Reviews

Updated May 8, 2018

Full-timePart-time

4.5
Shay Banon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • commercial plugins model seems to be the best combination to make an open source business successful (in 23 reviews)

• A huge benefit is the ability to work from home regardless of where you live (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • work/life balance was non-existent (in 5 reviews)

• The balance between open source and making money is a tough line to walk along, but Elastic do it pretty well (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Opportunity!"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Elastic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Elastic is a rocket ship and I've learned more than I can imagine in my 3 years.

Cons

There aren't many cons. I think we could do a better job of connecting remote employees with senior management at corporate HQ.

2. "Great team atmosphere and driven leadership"

I have been working at Elastic full-time

Pros

Leadership is very switched on, some of the smartest people in the industry out there. Founder thinks ten steps ahead and has delivered industry leading results and moves that seem risky from a corporate/business perspective, but is for the good of the community.

Cons

Being distributed means you take calls at odd hours occasionally and sometimes the teams you need aren't immediately available during your hours but it's pretty rare - they try to ensure someone is always available in each timezone.
    Stock options could be better.

"Ethically Concerning"

I worked at Elastic full-time

Pros

- The people. Those who work in individual contributor roles here are nearly all all-stars. They are great to work with... and genuinely good people. I miss them.

- The product has a market, it is open source(ish), and is has some innovative characteristics to it.

- The salary was generous, as were the stock options.

- They have learned pretty well how to foster a remote work culture. -- There are still some aspects that need help.

Cons

I ran into 4 primary cons while working here:

1) Ethics - I worked on a team at the company that few would argue is vital to any company’s function. This role can often be ethically demanding (in any company). However, in this particular company I ran into more ethically grey/black situations than I have in any of my previous roles... combined.

During my time in this role I was put in at-least three significant ethically compromising situations. Some sought to compromise my ethics... while others were leadership imposing their compromised ethics on staff in my area. All of these situations involved Senior Leadership.

These were not small routine grievances. If I was in an investor or customer position, I would be significantly concerned with behavior and performance in my former area at the company. It is a function where if handled wrong it has the potential for huge impact.

For what it's worth... the company had no (and to my knowledge still lacks) ethical hotline... Ethics Officer... or full time Privacy Officer that could act with appropriate unbiased arbitration.

2) Performance - This is a company (in my area) that made decisions on performance based on likability. My manager was a poor performer in a crucial area for the company. Despite this... through 6 months of failure, complaints from several independent company departments, an entire function transition to another area of the company under a new Senior Leader, and fictitious goals set and missed... no resolution occurred on performance.

To this point... There is no structured and balanced employee review system for the entire company. Expect inconsistency in treatment.

3) Organization - Organizational coordination... it was a mess. Hobby projects were encouraged, and it became tough to understand what anyone was truly working on in some areas. If you care about knowing "what will I be working on in 6 months... What is the plan?" -- I wouldn't join. You have to be very comfortable with uncertainty in planning. There is very little strategic direction.

4) Work/Life Balance - In my area work/life balance was non-existent. Work at 3 am or 3 pm.... why not both. Elastic has a subliminal culture that supports this behavior despite HR's efforts to crow about work/life balance.

The reality is that when you are surrounded by high performers... you feel an undercurrent of camaraderie, friendly competition, pretenders syndrome, and a tacit feeling of "pitch in my share" that drives you to act crazy with the hours you work. Stock options and Elastic's specific use of communications tools (yes, I am looking at you Slack) act to compound this notion.

Those around you have the same challenges flowing in their veins and act in kind. This creates a culture of overwork that is hard to arrest the inertia on. Many managers at Elastic don't exert effort in trying (mine didn't particularly) as the output of this is individually rewarding for them (having a high performing area). The problem is that burnout is real here. It will become an increasing problem as this company matures.

For what it's worth... I had every incentive to see my role at this company work out. I joined a high performing startup-transition after most of the initial risk, was a former customer, and deeply supported the software and open source. While I was there, I grew to love many of the people I worked with. Unlike other companies I have departed... I am remorseful for having to leave. However, I felt the cons above compounded to force me out.

Advice to Management

- Hire an Ethics Officer and truly clean up your act. Seek a culture of integrity over one of financial motivation. The money comes when you do the right thing. Facebook... and much closer to home Cambridge Analytica and Palantir are increasingly seeing scrutiny for below board behavior. Learn.

- If you read this far... you may be able to discern my area. If so... hire a leader in that area with uncompromising integrity... do not force them into grey/black ethical situations and above ALL ELSE... TRUST THEIR JUDGEMENT. They will be forced to weigh in on incredibly hard decisions on behalf of the company and they *should* be the experts in their field. Empower them with a direct report to the CEO and routine Board attendance and interface.

- Seek leaders for this company who have a track record of leading people and leading at scale.

- Know when to focus your position on the technology. The Venn diagram of great technology leaders and people leaders is a tiny overlapping sliver. Find great people leaders to lead people.... focus great technology leaders (including the CEO) on what they do better.

- Be forthright with staff... As Senior Leaders, don't make promises you don't intend to keep. Especially with roles/positions and people’s livelihood.

- Get a handle on burnout. You need to have real conversations on staff about the fact that they were hired as a high performer... they are surrounded by them... and that it will consume them if they don't self-regulate... or you help them.

- If it walks like a duck... Deal with poor performers before problems proliferate. Yes, you have to be grown up enough to realize that a company of your size probably needs structured reviews, performance improvement plans, reasonably concrete deliverables, and individual accountability.

"Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Elastic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company! Distributed work! work with very smart engineers, who are always ready to help! Management is open and approachable and really cool people!

Cons

distributed work sometimes may feel a little lonely; may be more activities to bring engineers together

"Keep Up The Great Work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Elastic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing Management Team
    Great Products
    Ability to work remotely with distributed teams
    Work/Life Balance
    Compassionate leaders
    No egos

Cons

Being distributed, it can be challenging to manage employees who are in a 8+ hour time difference
    No women on Leadership team except HR and lack of women leaders. There is a lot of talk about diversity, but most of the change has come at the bottom of the funnel.

Advice to Management

Stay true to yourself. There are a few people on the management team who are political and there are a select few employees who manage up. Also, make sure you retain the culture as the company grows and goes public.
    And, make sure you recognize employees and give them a career path. Often people are brought in from the outside instead of promoting from within. And, certainly there aren't enough women on Exec team and Leadership path.

"So many pro’s!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Elastic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I’ve been at Elastic for a month. I’ve never seen such transparency from the executive team in any of my previous jobs. The people are phenomal- the most friendly and helpful group of individuals I’ve encountered. I love it!

Cons

Can’t find any! Seriously an awesome place

Advice to Management

Stay amazing!

"Responsible Expansion, Doing Distributed Well"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Elastic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Appropriate transparency and open communication channels all the way to the top.
     - R&D is fully distributed, and we put in the effort, empathy, & structure to make that work well
     - Flexible hours, mostly asynchronous communication
     - A+ benefits
     - Developer community involvement

Cons

- Fully distributed can be hard, requires resolve, patience, and intentional empathy.

"Amazing Company!"

Current Employee - Education Engineer in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Education Engineer in Denver, CO

I have been working at Elastic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's been 1 year to day when I started at Elastic. I love it here! No joke so far it is great. My managers are really caring and go out of there way for you. The company is growing and investing in there employees. I enjoy waking up and help moving this company forward. Please do not loose what makes this company great.

Cons

I really do not have much to say in the way of a con. Maybe more swag lol

Advice to Management

My managers are great! Don't change keep investing in you employees and being humble.

"AMAZING!!!"

I have been working at Elastic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great engineering-first culture
    - Team is knowledgeable, yet humble
    - Amazing benefits!

Cons

Ill update this when I find anything worth reporting

"Half in Half Out"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Elastic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Distributed Company, smart and good people.
    Work from home and remote options, very good for individuals who have a family.
    Work life balance is okay, not horrible - there are days when you have to put in some extra time due to timezones (distributed)
    Ability to contribute ideas and suggestions at so many levels
    Believe that the company has a heart and care not only about making money but care about what's going on in the universe and where they can, they try to make it better.
    The technology is there to be a major player

Cons

The original leadership team doesn't really move the needle forward, and sometimes act and run organization as if we are doing it out of a garage or on a pub crawl.
    Old boys and girls club exist, if you were here from the beginning you are part of those clubs
    No clear and outlined direction or strategy for the organization on how we are going to get there, a lot of numbers, but no strong plan or communication plan to our customers
    No strategic partnerships with any major players in the industry
    Bottom up sales strategy, takes a long time to make impact

Advice to Management

You have a great company, but you need to grow up a bit and start to swim in the big pool.
    While you are all excited about what we have, we have to get customers just as excited and extend our reach more into larger accounts and industries with clear messaging and broaden the scope of contacts and individuals we should be selling to.
    A hoody or tshirt giveaway is fun, but it is not a strategy.
    A developer doesn't make key strategic decisions for an organization, need to position higher with business value