Elastic Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.5
Shay Banon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • commercial plugins model seems to be the best combination to make an open source business successful (in 22 reviews)

• A huge benefit is the ability to work from home regardless of where you live (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Fortunately the company is good about letting you find your work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

• A distributed company can be hard to work for (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Opportunity!"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Elastic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Elastic is a rocket ship and I've learned more than I can imagine in my 3 years.

Cons

There aren't many cons. I think we could do a better job of connecting remote employees with senior management at corporate HQ.

2. "Keep Up The Great Work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Elastic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing Management Team
    Great Products
    Ability to work remotely with distributed teams
    Work/Life Balance
    Compassionate leaders
    No egos

Cons

Being distributed, it can be challenging to manage employees who are in a 8+ hour time difference
    No women on Leadership team except HR and lack of women leaders. There is a lot of talk about diversity, but most of the change has come at the bottom of the funnel.

Advice to Management

Stay true to yourself. There are a few people on the management team who are political and there are a select few employees who manage up. Also, make sure you retain the culture as the company grows and goes public.
    And, make sure you recognize employees and give them a career path. Often people are brought in from the outside instead of promoting from within. And, certainly there aren't enough women on Exec team and Leadership path.

"So many pro’s!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Elastic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I’ve been at Elastic for a month. I’ve never seen such transparency from the executive team in any of my previous jobs. The people are phenomal- the most friendly and helpful group of individuals I’ve encountered. I love it!

Cons

Can’t find any! Seriously an awesome place

Advice to Management

Stay amazing!

"Responsible Expansion, Doing Distributed Well"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Elastic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Appropriate transparency and open communication channels all the way to the top.
     - R&D is fully distributed, and we put in the effort, empathy, & structure to make that work well
     - Flexible hours, mostly asynchronous communication
     - A+ benefits
     - Developer community involvement

Cons

- Fully distributed can be hard, requires resolve, patience, and intentional empathy.

"Amazing Company!"

Current Employee - Education Engineer in Denver, CO

I have been working at Elastic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's been 1 year to day when I started at Elastic. I love it here! No joke so far it is great. My managers are really caring and go out of there way for you. The company is growing and investing in there employees. I enjoy waking up and help moving this company forward. Please do not loose what makes this company great.

Cons

I really do not have much to say in the way of a con. Maybe more swag lol

Advice to Management

My managers are great! Don't change keep investing in you employees and being humble.

"AMAZING!!!"

I have been working at Elastic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great engineering-first culture
    - Team is knowledgeable, yet humble
    - Amazing benefits!

Cons

Ill update this when I find anything worth reporting

7. "Awesome experience , great company , great people"

Current Employee - Support Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Support Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Elastic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employee first focus , open communication, opportunities to grow and succeed as an individual. Working from home is an amazing privilege. Excellent focus on diversity.

Cons

There are occasionally some process related issues due to company growth and product maturity however challenges are identified quickly and the company is always looking to improve when challenges occur.

"Half in Half Out"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Elastic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Distributed Company, smart and good people.
    Work from home and remote options, very good for individuals who have a family.
    Work life balance is okay, not horrible - there are days when you have to put in some extra time due to timezones (distributed)
    Ability to contribute ideas and suggestions at so many levels
    Believe that the company has a heart and care not only about making money but care about what's going on in the universe and where they can, they try to make it better.
    The technology is there to be a major player

Cons

The original leadership team doesn't really move the needle forward, and sometimes act and run organization as if we are doing it out of a garage or on a pub crawl.
    Old boys and girls club exist, if you were here from the beginning you are part of those clubs
    No clear and outlined direction or strategy for the organization on how we are going to get there, a lot of numbers, but no strong plan or communication plan to our customers
    No strategic partnerships with any major players in the industry
    Bottom up sales strategy, takes a long time to make impact

Advice to Management

You have a great company, but you need to grow up a bit and start to swim in the big pool.
    While you are all excited about what we have, we have to get customers just as excited and extend our reach more into larger accounts and industries with clear messaging and broaden the scope of contacts and individuals we should be selling to.
    A hoody or tshirt giveaway is fun, but it is not a strategy.
    A developer doesn't make key strategic decisions for an organization, need to position higher with business value

9. "Exceptionally caring, talented and diverse environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Elastic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I cannot speak highly enough of Elastic, there's so many great things about the company that it's hard to narrow down. It is really easy to talk to anyone in the company (even though we're spread in 30+ countries), it's easy to talk to even C-level executives and nobody acts more important than anyone else. There is a truly honest and open culture, which fosters a community of knowledge sharing and constant learning while striving to make sure that everything is done with top notch quality. No decision is ever made blindly and we always give the deepest detail on the thought process behind them. Because we can hire remote workers globally, we are able to access top notch talent no matter where they are located. This shows whenever you talk to someone about the products, they're always excited and passionate about them both in quality, extent of use cases, and that fact that we keep our core components open source. I know that everybody thinks their company is the greatest, but I honestly cannot find something that I don't love about Elastic and I hope that we're able to stay tight knit and true to our values as we continue to grow rapidly.

Cons

That I didn't find out about Elastic earlier... kidding! There's really not much I can think of to put here. There are certainly pros and cons of having a distributed first company, and while the pros may outweigh the cons you will often wake up to find notes or news from coworkers on the other side of the globe and there is a degree of delay in communication between time zones sometimes (personally, I'm excited to wake up and read what I missed overnight).

Advice to Management

Don't change! Stay true to yourselves and keep it up.

10. "Engineering"

I have been working at Elastic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Super environment to work in - flexible, supportive

Cons

Highly distributed - it's also a benefit. But with spread out employees comes challenges to keep us all communicating. Elastic does a great job of addressing this.

Advice to Management

stay transparent!