HubSpot - Great place to work. Seriously. | Glassdoor
Pros
Cons
  • "401k match is low comparatively and work/life balance can be strained during busier periods" (in 42 reviews)

• "Growing pains involved with a scale-up company" (in 27 reviews)

Employee Review

Employee Review

"Great place to work. Seriously."

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Cambridge, MA
Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at HubSpot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There's a reason HubSpot keeps winning best place to work awards. It really is a great place to be. The company truly cares about the wellbeing of their employees and shows that through great benefits and perks, transparency with employees on the direction of the company, and a strong management team.

There's a culture here where, no matter your role, if you have something to say, your voice will be heard.

The people working here are consistently whip-smart, super hard working and generally fun to be around. Come for the free candy wall, stay for a great career.

Benefits include:
Waffle Wednesday
Dog-Friendly office
Regular team outings
Flexible work culture
And of course, the CANDY WALL! (my favorite)

Cons

As we become a bigger company, we're going through the growing pains of a scale up. On the upside, everyone's aware and making an effort to create simplicity in all processes.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Take the long term view and keep tackling the difficult-but-right-thing-to-do things.

Sep 21, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for taking the time to write this up, and for calling out flexible work culture and of course..the candy wall. One of the things I love about this review is that you call out that people's... More

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Great place to thrive as a high performer"

I have been working at HubSpot full-time

Pros

If you're dedicated and self-motivated, you'll do very well at HubSpot. It's not and never will be a place to blend into the scenery. You've got to do more than your job description and be eager and proud to do so, and I think that's where the "drink-the-kool-aid" comments come from. As you'll see, I'm solidly not that, but I love HubSpot, warts and all, and I firmly believe that the company has nowhere to go but up.

I've seen people go from zero to near-C-level in under two years here. Is that everyone? Of course not. HubSpot absolutely means it when they say you can be a high-performing individual contributor your entire career (I am one). But for people who want to move up the org chart, and have the chops to do so, HubSpot absolutely provides the framework and the support to give someone that chance.

The perks are nice. Beer and unlimited vacation and a barista and all that good stuff is nice, but it's actually secondary. Because we have those perks, it means we only have people who can have those perks and not abuse them. The caliber of the "average" HubSpotter is anything but average. Every single HubSpotter has something to learn from and be impressed by.

Cons

Remarkably few. One, because HubSpot is willing to take risks on people and helps them move up the ranks, people sometimes do get promoted before they're ready for it. There's nothing more demotivating than a bad manager, and I've seen entire teams underperform for months while a bad manager is either coached or replaced. I'm not sure there's an easy fix here. On the whole, it's a good thing that HubSpot gives those people those chances. There probably needs to be more guardrails and mentoring around this to identify where a newbie manager is potentially having cascading negative effects.

Second, and this one is some tough love from me, but it needs to be said: You need to toe the line on some things. If you're politically conservative, keep it to yourself. If you're liberal, preach it from the rooftops. HubSpot, for all its diversity and inclusion efforts (which are admirable!), does not allow for certain political viewpoints to be shared at all, and certainly not respected. On the one hand, it's not surprising that the majority of the company is more liberal. However, the Women@HubSpot and LGBTQ Alliance use Hillary Clinton campaign slogans in their "official" materials. I get it, I'm solidly liberal, and I don't think it's done with any sort of malice, but I've seen people basically shouted down and degraded for expressing any view that isn't solidly on the left side of our political spectrum. I know a few conservative folks at HubSpot, and I know for a fact they fear for their careers to even engage in debate on certain issues. It's never good for anyone to feel silenced, and in this manner, it's happening here. It's a glaring dark spot on HubSpot's supposed openness, and it needs to change. I am sure that it will in time, but it's something to be aware of if you are in that set and are considering HubSpot to work for right now. Hopefully in a few years, this won't be the case.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing. Don't let decisions be made by committee. We do best when we take a stand, not when we try to please everybody.

Also, up the 401k match. I know we're trying to spread the wealth around so the highest paid people don't also get most of the match money, but we're big enough now that we need it in order to compete with the really big players. If you want to try to even things out, maybe have automatic contributions into lower-paid employees accounts regardless of whether they put in or not. I know it'll be expensive. Do it with stock if you have to. It's needed at this point, and it'll be good for our investors in the end to be able to hire and retain the highest performers.

Sep 20, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for taking the time to write up a review, this one contains a lot of really valuable feedback and context for our candidates, so thanks for taking considerable time and energy to share it... More

"The smartest and most helpful people"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at HubSpot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I'm pretty new (a little over a month) and I can honestly say I've learned more in the last month than in the last 6 months at my previous company. Everyone here is SO smart, and so willing to help teach. I feel like I can go to my manager and team with any question, and rather than just tell me an answer they genuinely make sure I understand the concepts. Everyone motivates each other and encourages each other, and there's none of the cut throat politics like other places. Yes you work a lot, but its enjoyable because everyone wants you to succeed.

Also, TONS OF FOOD!!!!!!!

Cons

Training is nuts. A month of class in a school classroom setting, and a "new hire project" that's pretty intense.

Advice to Management

Keep being awesome

Sep 12, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for the feedback, love that you're excited about both our people and our food! I spend way too much time in our kitchen as well, so we have that in common. I agree that our classroom... More

Discover more reviews about HubSpot.