HubSpot - Great place to work. Seriously. | Glassdoor

Employee Review

Employee Review

"Great place to work. Seriously."

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Cambridge, MA
Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at HubSpot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There's a reason HubSpot keeps winning best place to work awards. It really is a great place to be. The company truly cares about the wellbeing of their employees and shows that through great benefits and perks, transparency with employees on the direction of the company, and a strong management team.

There's a culture here where, no matter your role, if you have something to say, your voice will be heard.

The people working here are consistently whip-smart, super hard working and generally fun to be around. Come for the free candy wall, stay for a great career.

Benefits include:
Waffle Wednesday
Dog-Friendly office
Regular team outings
Flexible work culture
And of course, the CANDY WALL! (my favorite)

Cons

As we become a bigger company, we're going through the growing pains of a scale up. On the upside, everyone's aware and making an effort to create simplicity in all processes.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Take the long term view and keep tackling the difficult-but-right-thing-to-do things.

Sep 21, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for taking the time to write this up, and for calling out flexible work culture and of course..the candy wall. One of the things I love about this review is that you call out that people's... More

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

"There's always a bad side."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at HubSpot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of great people working really hard.
    Amazing expansion and yet feels like an small company.
    Great culture (on paper).
    Good benefits.
    Amazing facilities - it does make your job easier.

If you're part of the company where people live, work by the company's culture deck, congrats you must be having the time and experience of your live. If any of the cons below sounds a bit familiar, move within or out of the company, seeing those things in 2017 is not worth it.

Cons

Subtle misogyny and sexism exists. It's saddening things like:

"Be careful on what you write on interview reviews, European candidates can request transcripts", and those emails are not talking about confidential information but about language, disguised sexist jokes.

I've seem post-interviews starting with: let's hire the attractive one to boost moral.
    Jokingly comments like: Be impartial even though girls are not you thing - directed to a male employee.

Upper management acting inappropriately towards other employee, making suggestive (and highly questionable) comments on private subjects.

It's not rare to hear comments like "That's how that person is" or " They do a great job, it was just a silly comment", when things like the ones above described come up in conversations.

It's conflicting and infuriating to see a lot of people playing along (power/hierarchy situation) makes one wonder: are they trying to survive or is this just how they truly are?

Advice to Management

Doing a good job is not an excuse for sexism and misogyny. Emails reminding to be thoughtful on feedback shouldn't be necessary. There are good jokes and jokes, if a joke can potentially offend a peer, chances are it's not a joke, at best it's plain bullying. Being a sexist chauvinist may not be as funny as you think. I've seen a lot of good engineers leaving the company and I am not sure it " just a better opportunity" thing anymore.
    I hope the good part of the company prevail and help to make the world a better place where profitable business, respect and work ethics can coexist.

All being said, to those working on the company culture you got my respect, your job is much harder than many of us realize.

PS: The recommend to a friend question depends on what part of the company they land.

Sep 27, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Obviously this review unnerves me greatly, and I'd really like to follow up with you directly around your concerns if you're open to sharing them--happy to connect live or if you'd prefer to follow... More

"The smartest and most helpful people"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at HubSpot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I'm pretty new (a little over a month) and I can honestly say I've learned more in the last month than in the last 6 months at my previous company. Everyone here is SO smart, and so willing to help teach. I feel like I can go to my manager and team with any question, and rather than just tell me an answer they genuinely make sure I understand the concepts. Everyone motivates each other and encourages each other, and there's none of the cut throat politics like other places. Yes you work a lot, but its enjoyable because everyone wants you to succeed.

Also, TONS OF FOOD!!!!!!!

Cons

Training is nuts. A month of class in a school classroom setting, and a "new hire project" that's pretty intense.

Advice to Management

Keep being awesome

Sep 12, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for the feedback, love that you're excited about both our people and our food! I spend way too much time in our kitchen as well, so we have that in common. I agree that our classroom... More

Discover more reviews about HubSpot.