HubSpot Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 18, 2018

Full-timePart-time

4.6

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work/Life Balance with unlimited holidays and work from home option" (in 29 reviews)

• "If you need to work from home that's not an issue" (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • "401k match is low comparatively and work/life balance can be strained during busier periods" (in 43 reviews)

• "Growing pains involved with a scale-up company" (in 27 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Still great after 4+ years"

I have been working at HubSpot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been at HubSpot now for almost 4 years and there's nowhere else I've even thought about working in that time. Why? HubSpot is a great place to work. I feel like I'm valued. I have a lot of autonomy in how and when and where I work. I feel strongly about the mission of the company. All in all, I'm extremely happy here.

Cons

As the company grows, scaling communication and decision making becomes more difficult. Luckily, it's something that's top of mind for many people who are working to make communication easier and better.

Jun 11, 2018 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for spending 4+ years with us and for your kind review--I'm super grateful to you for sharing it. I agree with you on scaling communication and decision making--my hope is that the investments... More

2. "Great start to any career"

I have been working at HubSpot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hiring process took place through APAC division. It was a very extensive process and they do ask many gruelling questions, always be prepared to give more context and colour if they dig deeper into your answers.

Even before being hired I felt that I had already picked up a lot of interviewing skills and they openly give you tips on how I could have made my answer or preparation a bit more polished.

While it wasn't an easy process, but I definitely appreciated what I learnt and it made me realise that HubSpot was somewhere that was genuinely interested in developing my professional and personal capital.

Throughout the entire interview process my two main points of contact were Elayne and Yuan from the Singapore office. They were always available to chat, help fill any gaps in my knowledge of the product, and tried their best to fit the interview times to my schedule (even apologised for a timing mix up). Super appreciative as not all companies care about small details like this.

Cons

It's an exhaustive process, so be prepared to answer some tricky questions and for a long application. But it pays dividends in how to better present yourself!

Advice to Management

Keep helping any applicant in preparing and always being super transparent. The method has clearly worked at attract a large amount of new talent

3. "Exciting time to work at HubSpot"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at HubSpot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. There is never a dull moment at HubSpot. Our product is growing, the team is growing, and we are constantly evolving to meet the needs of the industry.
    2. HubSpot's mission is to help millions of organizations grow better, and it's been inspiring to work at a company who believes we can have an impact on the world. Our vision for the future is exciting, and allows for continuous improvement and growth.
    3. The people who work at HubSpot are smart and dedicated, but also human and aspire to create a culture of empathy. I genuinely enjoy coming to work every day.
    4. The flexibility is huge for me, many teams allow you to work remotely and take time off when you need it.

Cons

1. Because we are growing so quickly, it's difficult to stay up to date on information, and sometimes this results in duplicate effort from more than one team.
    2. We are still figuring out how to scale and create a cultural that is globally inclusive and provides the same opportunities for every team in every office. Many of the career opportunities are still at our headquarters in Cambridge although I know leadership is working to change that.
    3. Diversity is a challenge, many employees are young and share a similar worldview. It's part of our goals to change it, but will take time.

Sep 18, 2018 – Chief People Officer

Thanks so much for a wonderful and thoughtful review-I feel it's chock full of context to help candidates learn more about us, so thank you for sharing and for all that you do at HubSpot. I would... More

4. "It's like grad school with a paycheck"

I have been working at HubSpot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

LEARNING. co-workers, engaged leadership, resources, humble, self-aware, appropriately paranoid.

Cons

It can be an echo-chamber, you can definitely feel the screws tightening on budgets as the whole company focuses more closely on the stock price.

Advice to Management

This is more of a comment that doesn't fit into pro/con than advice to management. (Management solicits advice from employees every quarter directly -- which is great -- and I give that feedback there, because I think they're more likely to read it.)

People tend to complain about three things at HubSpot: diversity and inclusion, compensation, and work/life balance.
    - On D&I: I'm happy that people complain. The entire business continues to intensify our efforts to improve, which has shown promise in 2018 so far; particularly on gender diversity in leadership. There are tall mountains to climb, especially on race in a traditionally white and stereotypically hostile cities of Boston and Dublin, but I'm impressed that the business has programmatically improved in a recognized weakness.
    - On compensation and work/life balance: I think there's sort of a tradeoff between the two. You can have incredibly flexible work/life balance and absolutely "turn it off" right at 5pm to be with family or to just not be at work. That said, HubSpot's employee's are mostly early in their careers -- I am too. If you don't have uniquely marketable skills, you're going to be working with dozens (maybe hundreds!) of super bright, compassionate peers. It's really wonderful! The thing to keep in mind is that many of your bright, recent-grad peers are extremely ambitious and are probably going to put in nights and weekends to progress. As a result, 3-4 years after starting at HubSpot, you're likely to see large differences in compensation for people that really grind it out with hard work and good timing from the BDR and support programs. The trajectories vary widely. It's fair to say that there is good money to be made at HubSpot if you work at it for many years.

HubSpot is growing so quickly at a large scale that if you can prove your ability in a role for a year or so, you'll almost certainly have the opportunity to something you're not qualified for externally.

Sep 18, 2018 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for your review, and I promise to read your feedback both here and in the ENPS--Dharmesh reads them all too, so you have both of our eyes on both at a bare minimum! I am also happy people... More

5. "The greatest company I have ever worked for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at HubSpot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I could go on and on about all of the wonderful things that make HubSpot the best place I have ever worked, but I’ll try to be as concise as possible: the company culture, transparent and communicative management, flexible and healthy work/life balance (+ unlimited PTO), autonomous yet collaborative working environment, exciting products that improve every day, constant opportunities for learning and growth, food/coffee/beer garden, & passionate colleagues who always value and strive for inclusion .

Cons

Pay is on the lower side for some of the entry-level positions, but this is pretty standard. On the plus side, there is so much room & encouragement to grow within this organization that HubSpotters have many opportunities for upward mobility.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. Thank you for leading by example and putting trust in your team to do their job and do it well with an impressive balance of guidance and autonomy.

Sep 18, 2018 – Chief People Officer

This headline warms my heart-thank you for sharing your perspective, and for being a part of our team--our people are critical to our success, so thank you for all that you do! I love that you call... More

6. "Strong career growth"

Current Employee - People Operations
    Current Employee - People Operations

I have been working at HubSpot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- The company is doing well and growing.... lots of opportunity to try new things and move up with hard work
    - Transparency within the organization is real - not lip service. The amount of info we have as employees is empowering
    - No micro-management. You have autonomy to do your job
    - As a cherry on top - all the perks / benefits you'd want (gym, food, untracked time off, etc)

Cons

- Growing super fast has its challenges too in terms of fast change but it's good for the business

Sep 12, 2018 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for the review, and specifically for helping our People Operations team grow--I'm personally very grateful for that! I love that you described the autonomy and transparency as the meat of what... More

7. "Couldn't fathom working anywhere else"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at HubSpot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Exponential growth potential and trajectory of our suite of products, culture is hyper customer and employee centric, ton of opportunities to develop as an employee (whether that's our mini MBA program, taking a master class, tuition reimbursement, 1:1 coaching/feedback, moving to a new role internally or via promotion), huge amount of transparency from the top down which establishes trust in our Exec team, and a TON of autonomy and flexibility.

Cons

HubSpot is very fast paced and extremely agile, which results in a high level of ambiguity and change. A priority today might change completely by next week, and the more resourceful and flexible you can be, the better. Also, since HubSpot promotes a lot from within, first time managers are common. You'll have to be comfortable articulating how you liked to be managed and offering as much guidance to your new manager as you'd receive from them.

Advice to Management

Prioritize internal mobility - It's the #1 way for us to keep our top talent engaged, performing and happy.

Sep 18, 2018 – Chief People Officer

I love that you call out our Mini-MBA Fellows program (it's amazing!), and that you note that first time managers are both a wonderful reflection of how we grow internal talent but also a reminder to... More

8. "A positive, inspiring place to work"

I have been working at HubSpot full-time

Pros

Like most tech companies, HubSpot has competitive pay, great benefits, and a fun work environment. But, to me, HubSpot is leaps and bounds ahead of similar companies because of its people. I've never worked anywhere with so many talented individuals that *genuinely* want each other to learn, grow, and succeed.

Cons

We're growing *very* quickly, so there's always some concern that we'll lose what has made HubSpot so special. So far, our Chief People Officer & her team have done a fabulous job of helping us scale with care.

Sep 9, 2018 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for this incredibly kind review, and for taking the time to write it. We are honored to have you at HubSpot, and I would echo your sentiments that the people we employ (including you!) make... More

9. "The BEST!"

I have been working at HubSpot full-time

Pros

-People who challenge you and push you outside your comfort zone to make you a better person

Cons

-Wish we were more data-driven

Advice to Management

-More innovative leaders in customer success

Sep 9, 2018 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for your review, and for working at HubSpot-we are so glad you're here and hopefully you had a great week last week for INBOUND week. On data-driven, we are building out a new ops team... More

10. "I've learned more @ Hubs than any other company I've worked at"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at HubSpot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Scale-up growth = tons of opportunities to learn; you can lean in to the business and become an expert in the industry and/or your function, and be at the forefront of what we're building.
    -Scale-up stage also means that there are processes in place, but there's also autonomy to execute on your own; you aren't micromanaged, but still have the support structures/guidance to help you get better at your job.
    -Employees are fantastic and what sets the environment apart; they're across the board intelligent, driven, innovative, scrappy, and, unrelated, but everyone has a great sense of humor.
    -Challenged every day; no two days are the same. Working here makes you agile.
    -Tons of resources available for you to explore and utilize.
    -Leadership cares about its employees and is receptive to feedback.
    -Yes, there's a lot of hoorah about the Culture Code, but I see employees holding each other accountable to it; actions speak louder than words.
    -Transparent from the top-down: we're looped in real time on business changes/decisions. The business and its employees take full ownership of mistakes we've made in the past, which helps us push forward and learn from them for the future.
    -The momentum is huge. A lot of people drink the kool-aid, but that's because we believe in what we're building and are excited about where the business is headed.
    -Work/life balance is real. Get your *stuff* done and it'll never be an issue to take time off / WFH.

Cons

-Comp could be more competitive for the SaaS space.
    -Some business units are prioritized over others (product, sales).
    -POps lacks clear promotional paths compared to other departments.

Advice to Management

Growth is exciting, and we're bought in to it, but we want to know how we fit in to that vision.

Sep 11, 2018 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for the thoughtful review, and the callouts on how great our employees are. I think you're right we need more clarity on POPS career paths and on how folks' roles fit into our broader... More