HubSpot Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.7

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • There are some people who say that the work life balance isn't the best (in 40 reviews)

• Growing pains involved with a scale-up company (in 27 reviews)

1. "Partnerships"

I have been working at HubSpot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Diverse backgrounds. Culture of autonomy and trust.

Cons

Too early to assess, but nothing stands out so far.

2. "Enjoying my time here!"

I have been working at HubSpot full-time

Pros

work and social balance, kitchen

Cons

as of now, none yet

Dec 7, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for writing this and hope you continue to love HubSpot as we grow! -Katie

3. "Tons of Opportunity"

Current Employee - Principal Customer Success Manager in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Principal Customer Success Manager in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at HubSpot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company vision and leadership team in place to execute. Bright future ahead

Cons

There is a lack of accountability in sales org, see below in advice to management

Advice to Management

Overall, HubSpot is an amazing place to work and I generally have all good things to say. Here are my two biggest pieces of advice/feedback on how we could improve:

1) More accountability within the sales org. Repeated mistakes, incompetency and sometimes deliberately misleading prospects goes un-noticed or no one cares. The services team is left to clean up the mess time and time again. If that many mistakes were being made in another part of the company, it would get addressed with management and the employee would be fired.

2) Product and services should work more closely together. The product is amazing, but it doesn't do a good job of helping new users get started. Services also helps with this (of course, that's our job), but as we try to scale and increase the ratios of customer/CSM - the product needs to do a better job of helping new users set up their account and adopt the tools with.

Dec 7, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Thanks so much for your review and for helping our services team grow and our customers thrive. I'm not in the loop on some of these issues you've highlighted with regard to sales in particular, so I... More

4. "So Much Opportunity to Learn"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at HubSpot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is always so much going on and so many opportunities to learn. HubSpot is fast-paced and always trying new initiatives, which means there is a lot of opportunity to get involved in those initiatives. Future plans are shared from the top and there is always a positive energy around what is coming next. It is a great place to learn business strategy and be involved in decision making that will have a material impact. The perks are also great, but the best part of working here is definitely the day-to-day substance of our work.

Cons

Very metric-driven, which is important, but it can sometimes feel like we are so focused on data that we are looking at data just for the sake of data.

Advice to Management

The high level of autonomy for individual contributors is one of the most striking components of working at HubSpot. Keep that in mind as we grow, and don't sacrifice it.

Nov 22, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for being part of our customers' success, I'm deeply grateful for all the hard work our services team does to help our customers grow during their time with HubSpot, so thanks for your impact... More

5. "HubSpot as an infrastructure Co-Op"

Current Employee - Software Engineer Coop in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer Coop in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at HubSpot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

HubSpot really puts a lot of effort into having a positive, healthy environment for engineers to work, without going too far over the top. The technology that I get to work with is really modern and innovative, and honestly most importantly I would say is the intrinsic value given to getting things done right. That's not to say that things aren't done hacky and fast to just make them work, but it's acknowledged that this is taking on technical debt that will need to be paid off later. Thought is given to good API design, and there's a goddamn amazing design/UX team. Oh, and the UI library itself is top notch. It makes tasks that used to take weeks or days take hours or minutes.

Cons

All of the backend stuff is written in Java. So if you like Java...

It is a decently sized company, however well they do of hiding it. There are managers, and managers' managers, and managers' managers' managers... but at least they're all super smart and competent.

Advice to Management

Keep on keepin' on

Nov 22, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for being a co-op on our Infra team, delighted to have you, particularly as co-ops are a critical part of our long-term people strategy, so thanks for joining HubSpot and taking the time to... More

6. "Software Engineer"

I have been working at HubSpot full-time

Pros

The engineering department does everything they can to set you up for success. There are so many people that are willing to go the extra mile to help you grow and improve as an engineer.

Cons

There are some people who say that the work life balance isn't the best. I definitely agree that some of the core teams work a lot, but I think that those teams are the minority .

Nov 22, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for writing this up--I adore our engineering team. I've never worked with leaders so committed to getting the engineering experience right and to building both a product and a team that... More

"This isn't just a company or a job. It's a culture and a lifestyle!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at HubSpot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Perks perks perks! What's not to love about the autonomy you get in this company? Everyone here is smart enough that the one policy "Use Good Judgement" doesn't get broken. That means free beer, unlimited vacation days, pets in the office, food galore!

Cons

As the company continues to grow at a rapid pace, you begin to feel lost in a crowd of unfamiliarity. People who aren't as social or extroverted may begin to feel a little overwhelmed.

Advice to Management

There are tons of resources that are offered, but maybe for those who need a little nudge to get out of their shell, maybe have more apparent programs for people to shadow other areas and meet new people.

Nov 20, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this--delighted that you enjoy the many perks of HubSpot and the people and policy that help guide our philosophy around autonomy, so thanks for writing... More

8. "HubSpot is great but be prepared to work hard"

I worked at HubSpot full-time

Pros

Great people, great culture and facilities. Always something new and exciting to work on.

Cons

This isn't a con, but life moves fast at HubSpot and it's employees are predominantly under 35 which isn't always for everyone

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

Dec 7, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for your review, and the callout to our facilities--our facilities team does truly incredible work, they deserve it. While our average age is climbing, you're absolutely right that we employ... More

"This is what I've been searching for"

Current Employee - Director of Engineering in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Director of Engineering in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at HubSpot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've worked in the software industry in the northeast for more than a decade, and while I've been successful there's always been something missing. At HubSpot I feel like I've finally found what I've been looking for (take that, U2). I know that sounds like a big statement but everything I've seen in engineering aligns so perfectly with the values I've practiced and preached, from the top of the stack to the bottom. I don't want to bore you to death with an essay, but here are some of the things that really stand out:

* The technical talent on the team is amazing. I've worked with brilliant engineers in the past, but the consistent level of intelligence, capability, and competence here is impressive.

* The passion the entire team gives and the pride they take in what we're doing is such a motivator and inspiration. I've read the same stuff you have about the 'cult'; it couldn't be farther from the truth. This is hard working people taking pride in what they've accomplished.

* The lack of bureaucracy and process is so refreshing. It's focused on Just Effing Doing It instead of endlessly debating and needing sign-off from eighty nine different levels. This can definitely take some getting used to because leadership is largely just sketching a very rough outline and everyone else is not only filling it in, but erasing the lines and redrawing as they see fit. It can sometimes feel like we're veering around a bit, but leadership does a fantastic job of catching that just as it's beginning to show signs of a problem and correcting it.

* I didn't realize how much the politicking at my old company was affecting me until I came to a place where... well... it doesn't happen. There's a real lack of kingdom building or ladder climbing - and instead it's very much a bottoms-up mentality with a focus on what you've done and not how well you play the game.

* Competence and excellence are recognized and rewarded. It's not about who you know or what group you're in; if you do awesome stuff it's seen and celebrated. I was so tired of needing to brown nose to get ahead. Here I've told my boss to his face he was wrong, or that I disagreed with our leadership, or that I was going to do something and didn't care what he thought, and rather than being smacked down I was thanked for pushing for what I knew was right.

* The culture here is Absolutely. Fantastic. There's an commitment to employee satisfaction that they really do take seriously. There are regular satisfaction surveys, we have people dedicated to making it an enjoyable place to work, the company's very willing to spend money on things that could be considered frivolous - like team lunches, or trivia nights - and any tool you need to do your job better is essentially yours. I'm not naive enough to think that this is all altruism, but it definitely feels like the company cares about us as people. And what's more, that belief and focus is practiced and felt at all levels, by everyone here.

I know that all this sounds too good to be true or like I'm a soulless shill, but I couldn't be happier with my decision to move here. If you're looking for a place that dispenses with the crap, does awesome things, hires amazing talent, and treats its employees with respect and kindness you could do a hell of a lot worse than HubSpot. I'm looking forward to many more years here.

Cons

This isn't a place that caters to passivity. If you're looking for a lot of hand-holding or you need structure in order to be successful then this really isn't for you. Our entire philosophy is based around small, very technical, autonomous teams, and that requires those teams to be extremely self-driven and self-directing. There's plenty of help if you ask, but if you're expecting someone to give your formal requirements, document the steps you should follow, or shepherd you through your day-to-day you're going to be sorely disappointed. We want passionate, driven, opinionated people who aren't going to sit back and let someone else make all the decisions.

Our lack of structure and process is almost a negative, and I'll be the first to admit we probably need a little bit more. We're growing rapidly but we don't do an amazing job of defining defaults that lead people to the right solutions, which means every new tech lead or engineer has to figure a lot out for themselves. I think we could stand to do a better job structuring things (just a tiny bit more!) so that people fall into success more easily.

Advice to Management

My biggest advice to management is not to lose the culture, autonomy, and bottom-up mentality as we grow bigger. I've worked in companies that are in the same position HubSpot's in now, and they wound up losing their 'soul' in pursuit of growth. It's going to be tempting to look at the bottom line and think we can increase it by spending less on employee satisfaction or providing more top-down direction, but if we do we're going to fall into the same trap as those other companies. We need to preserve the passion, the freedom, the happiness, and the commitment we have, and that only happens through conscious attention.

Oct 20, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Wow, this is one of the most thoughtful and thorough reviews I've seen, thanks for sharing it. One thing I often say to people is that working here is fun but it's not easy--it will challenge you, it... More

10. "Great company. Great people."

I worked at HubSpot full-time

Pros

Worked at HubSpot for just under 5 years, before making a move to take on a bit more risk working at a startup. Everything about HubSpot is great. You have the opportunity to switch roles pretty easily, try out new things, and always be learning.

Pay is competitive and the benefits are great. Benefits are definitely something that I miss now making the move to a smaller company.

Still very connected to a lot of friends from HubSpot - people are awesome.

Cons

Over my time at HubSpot - the internal politics definitely turned into something that was a little annoying, but not surprising for a company that grew from 100 to 2000 in my time there.

Advice to Management

Think like a small company and move quick!

Nov 20, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for being a HubSpot alumni! We're very proud that our alums are making us proud out in the world post-HubSpot, so thanks for the review and your time here. We are working really hard to reduce... More