HubSpot Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 17, 2019

4.7

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work/life balance can be difficult to work out at first" (in 48 reviews)

• "With growth comes growing pains" (in 31 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Still great after 4+ years"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at HubSpot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been at HubSpot now for almost 4 years and there's nowhere else I've even thought about working in that time. Why? HubSpot is a great place to work. I feel like I'm valued. I have a lot of autonomy in how and when and where I work. I feel strongly about the mission of the company. All in all, I'm extremely happy here.

Cons

As the company grows, scaling communication and decision making becomes more difficult. Luckily, it's something that's top of mind for many people who are working to make communication easier and better.

Jun 11, 2018 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for spending 4+ years with us and for your kind review--I'm super grateful to you for sharing it. I agree with you on scaling communication and decision making--my hope is that the investments... More

2. "I can't believe I get to work for Hubspot!"

Current Employee - Channel Account Manager (CAM) in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Channel Account Manager (CAM) in Nashville, TN

I have been working at HubSpot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- This company is unbelievable.
    - I literally wake up every day astounded that I work for such an amazing company.
    - The training is incredible.
    - The work itself is extremely fulfilling.
    - The compensation is phenomenal.
    - The benefits are very lucrative.
    - The culture is unmatched.
    - I'm a remote employee and work entirely from home, so I get an opportunity to "run my own business" but also still feel engaged and a part of the culture from afar! - There is so much opportunity to get plugged in beyong your job description. Despite being very new to the company, I was able to join the Culture Squad for my segment AND I was elected to fill a leadership role within the team!
    - I'm constantly surrounded by such strong, high capacity leaders. Really, the hiring process is so thorough that when you finally make it through the door, you realize your in the company of some seriously brilliant peers.
    - I could go on and on. Really, I can't recommend this place to anyone doing the research about it. By far the best job I've ever had, and I am looking forward to growing and developing a long term career here.
    - Thank you for everything, HubSpot!

Cons

- Training and Onboarding is INTENSE. Really. You will be fully equipped to succeed if you take training seriously. But onboarding is very intense. You WILL have a moment of "imposter syndrome" at some point thinking that you tricked the managers and that you're not qualified. But YOU ARE. You were hired on purpose. But take training seriously, and manage the pressure well and you will be great!

- The onboard Remote employees is extra tough. I don't say it arrogantly, but I strongly believe that it take a special person to work remotely. HubSpot is constantly improving the remote onboarding process, but be prepared to show your stuff with you ability to figure things out as you go!

- There seems to be limiting formal leadership opportunity for remote employees. I have a ways to go before any sort of promotions, but I'm not sure the management opportunities exist for remote employees today.

Advice to Management

Just keep crushing it. I have worked for some seriously tocis managers and leaders. YOU ARE NOT ONE OF THEM. Continue to value your employees. The amount of value you place on me just makes me want to continue to bust my tail for you. It's an honor doing what we do with each of you!

"Lively and earnest"

Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at HubSpot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- smart and friendly people
    - interesting work
    - ample opportunity to grow
    - autonomous teams are agile and fight bloat
    - personal boundaries for work-life harmony are respected
    - leadership is genuine when encouraging employees to take time off and recharge
    - unlimited vacation/PTO - use good judgement
    - flexibility to work remote is awesome
    - key job-critical tools are all in the cloud, meaning I can work from different computers if necessary, which makes the work-remote perk even more reliable
    - conference rooms with Zoom are PURE MAGIC and really make it easier to connect with colleages in different offices globally
    - really excellent healthcare plan
    - Cambridge office is gorgeous

Cons

- work-life harmony doesn't just happen, HubSpot is full of go-getters so of course the momentum is to get stuff done; that being said, when you make a clear boundary, people warmly respect it!
    - pro tip, unlimited vacation means that you can't get paid for unused days if you were to transition to another company, so, better make good use of them! :)

Advice to Management

Keep up the good fight in terms of keeping HubSpot teams autonomous and agile. Every approach has pros and cons, and in this case the cons are totally worth it for the pros. Things can get messy, communication can be hard, stuff moves so fast it's hard to keep track -- but that keeps life exciting, keeps us humble, and is so much better than being stagnant.

4. "Great Work Environment"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Cambridge, MA

I worked at HubSpot (Less than a year)

Pros

Young, friendly, hard working peers!

Cons

Nothing - great experience! Would recommend to a friend!

Advice to Management

Better transition for interns to become full time!

5. "Easy going and work well with others great leadership"

Current Employee - Sales Operations Manager in Feasterville Trevose, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Operations Manager in Feasterville Trevose, PA

I have been working at HubSpot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Advancement reread into get up improve company and workplace

Cons

Finding the right team or employees, dealing with rejection

Advice to Management

Give time for employees to grow with experience

"Lots of smart people, but they know they're smart."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at HubSpot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is industry standard for most roles- no better, no worse.

In-office benefits like stocked kitchen, gym, beer, and coffee are nice.

You learn a lot, and having HubSpot in your resume is always good.

Fun place to work if you're new to Boston, or just out of college and looking to network with other young people.

Cons

There are many problematic elements about working at HubSpot. Many of them are well-documented in prior reviews so I won’t waste space on them here. But here are a few themes that haven’t been delved into too much here.

Work/Life balance
    Many teams at HubSpot work harder, not smarter. Employees who work long hours are seen as more committed, and more productive. Employees who utilize the “unlimited vacation policy” are often seen as frivolous and lazy. I was encouraged to take fewer days off after my wedding, and even when my spouse was in the hospital. The expectation was you’d always have your laptop “in case anything came up.” If someone left their desk before 6pm, you’d often hear them say something like “I have to go to an appointment but I’ll be back online by 8.” Oftentimes managers would communicate this as well- reinforcing the idea that you needed to be “online” 24/7.

Age
    Much has been said about HubSpot’s lack of diversity. I do believe there’s a good-faith effort to improve this, and I respect the standards they’re trying to set in the industry in this matter. But what they seem unwilling to address is the lack of age diversity. Among all the people I collaborated with at HubSpot, I’m struggling to think of even one person who was over the age of 35. There are a lot of problems with this, obviously, but one thing that stuck with me was the “inmates running the asylum” vibe. Over and over again, major problems were left to a bunch of 25 years old employees to solve. While we (I was one of those 25 year olds) struggled to find solutions, these “crises” could have been solved easily through the lens of experience. Reflecting back, I often think about how every day felt like a fire drill at HubSpot, and I think much of that is because we all had no frame of reference. It was nearly everyone’s first or second job, and we all could have really benefited from someone working with us that had longevity in the industry, or longevity even in an office setting.

Ego
    Now here’s something with a harder solve. HubSpot has an ego problem. Employees are told over and over that they’re the best, the most intelligent, etc etc. and that ethos is internalized by many. There’s a “win at all costs” mentality that causes high tension between employees, and fosters and extremely competitive environment internally. There’s a “watch your back” culture- your teammates WILL undercut you to get ahead. Leaders who’ve had complaints leveled against them time and time again continue to get promoted or shuffled around departments. If you provide results (hit your goals, etc) you’ll be held up as a “golden boy” and protected.

Advice to Management

Hire more grown ups.

Jan 7, 2019 – Chief People Officer

I'm really saddened to read this, and sorry to hear your experience at HubSpot fell short of your expectations. I can't tell when you worked at HubSpot, but my hope is that the experience has... More

7. "inturn at Hubspot"

Current Employee - Inbound Sales in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Inbound Sales in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at HubSpot (Less than a year)

Pros

friendly, helpful people everyone is willing to help you and friendly.

Cons

There's no big downside to working at HubSpot

Advice to Management

Starting in small biz and working your way up to in a sales track is the way to do it.

Jan 7, 2019 – Chief People Officer

Thank so much for the feedback and for helping our sales team grow, we are so glad to have you on our team, and I'm delighted to hear you have friendly, helpful folks pitching in to assist you as you... More

8. "Great place to work/but not perfect"

Current Employee - Business Development Representative in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Business Development Representative in Boston, MA

I have been working at HubSpot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture, benefits, allows an easy work/life balance. They generally try to make it a fun place to work and I can't tell you the number of restaurants I wouldn't have spent the money to try if it wasn't for HubSpot the amount they spend on their employees.

Cons

Below average market salary, only outbound position in an increasingly inbound organization, success can be a product of territory and management and doesn't necessarily translate to skill and effort.

Jan 7, 2019 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for the feedback-I would agree that we are not perfect, but hopefully we are always growing and improving as we evolve as an organization globally. I'll ensure that the BDR team sees this... More

9. "Robust Professional Development"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at HubSpot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

HubSpot's learning and development (L&D) is like nothing I've ever experienced. They provide plenty of resources, feedback, and tools to help you ramp up, including very flexible and reasonable expectations and time to get comfortable in your role. What's more, it's a culture that never settles -- I loved the fact that a debate happened a recent holiday gathering among colleagues of what tools need to be improved to meet our customers needs. Obviously, the perks -- free BlueBike, a barista, on-site gym, unlimited vacation, snack bar, Book Club, etc... -- are insane, but it truly is the people. They do a great job hiring humble, empathetic people who want to advance their customer's cause and the brand as a whole. And once you're in the role for a year, your opportunities to move up and laterally really start to take off. If you're coming from an agency (PR, adv, marketing, research/insights, etc.) you will be pleasantly surprised at how quickly HubSpot adapts and changes to meet customer and worker needs.

Cons

The amount of information you're expected to know can be daunting, and while there are a lot of great resources, they can be scattered. You determine your success - if you don't adopt a Type-A POV on organizing your inbox, calendar, resources, and soundbites, you will fail. Period. (I was NOT coming into the role.) Depending on your role, it can also be tough to develop long-term relationships with customers because unlike other organizations, you aren't meeting weekly, bi-weekly, or sometimes even monthly. If that matters to you, you'll need to put in a little extra legwork. And get ready for imposter syndrome - it's impossible to know the entire product, but navigating this gets easier.

Advice to Management

We NEED to clean up the wiki. Also, the Academy/trainings are a little rudimentary... not only is the product getting more robust, but our customers are getting more savvy and more technical. It isn't a problem yet, but I think we can get more in-depth, which might require CSMs and ICs taking on less clients so they can devote more time to them. I like the Knowledge Base, but consolidating some of the repetitive articles could also make it more approachable to customers. More technical resources could also help our customers.

Jan 7, 2019 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for the feedback, and for helping our customers grow on the Customer Success team. I think/hope you'll be energized by the work the Collaboration team is doing to continue to streamline the... More

10. "A company that is trying to drive growth the right way."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at HubSpot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Really smart, engaged, genuine management team.
    Innovating on new products, opening new offices, trying to solve for the customer (SMB businesses). Trying to really drive growth the right way.
    Great healthcare benefits and great place to work for women/new moms. Very supportive community groups.

Cons

Normal pains of a start-up growing into scale-up. Going through systems transitions that are necessary for the company to be able to keep growing at this pace & scale.

Jan 7, 2019 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for the feedback and your callout on benefits and our support for new parents--it's something we work really hard to get right, so I love hearing when we meet or exceed the mark. I love that... More