HubSpot Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.3

Sort:
  1. Featured Interview

Customer Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Singapore (South Africa)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at HubSpot (Singapore (South Africa)) in June 2018.

Interview

The interview consist of 4 stages: Phone interview with HR, Phone interview with Hiring Manager, Video interview on Product demo and Role Play, and finally a face to face interview with 3 managers from different departments in the company.

Throughout the interview process, there were many feedbacks from the interviewer on areas of improvement and what you should look out for in your next interview, which was very helpful for you to prepare for the next round. They also provided examples of some of the questions they were going to ask beforehand to help you prepare for it. Most of the questions asked were mainly behavioural, as they are looking for cultural fit.

Overall, I really enjoyed the interview process as it was both engaging and meaningful.

Interview Questions

• Talk about your weaknesses and how you plan to overcome/improve on them   Answer Question

HubSpot Response

Jul 11, 2018 – Director, Recruiting

There are a few things I love about this review. First, I'm so thrilled that you applied to HubSpot through your university. While we don't have a formal campus recruiting program in our APAC region... More

Junior Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at HubSpot.

Interview

The interview process was quite nice - very easy to get everything arranged and everyone was wonderful to speak to. My interview consisted of a phone screen/interview, and some in-person interviews which included a great overview at the company and an overview of the office.

Even though I wound up not getting an offer this time, I really enjoyed the experience of interviewing with HubSpot, and found each person I spoke with was very helpful with feedback and answered many of my questions about working in software in general.

Interview Questions

• Part of my interview wound up delving into a really interesting discussion over different parts of automated testing processes, even though I wasn't interviewing specifically for devops or test.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at HubSpot (Cambridge, MA) in October 2014.

Interview

Hubspot contacted me ~3 weeks after I met a recruiter at a career fair. They warned me the process took only a week and so I should decide when to start the interview process such that I could respond in that period of time.
    First, there was a coding challenge: 2 problems, one was easy and the other appeared to be easy but I only got 1/6 of the tests to pass. Nonetheless, they called me in to give me a tour of the workplace and asked me about some projects I had worked on. Then, they asked if I was in a position to accept the offer. I asked for another 2 weeks of delay (I had other interviews) and then accepted the offer.

Interview Questions

• Given an array of strings with only lowercase letters, create a function that returns an array of those same strings, but each string has its letters rearranged such that it becomes a palindrome (if possible, if not, return -1).   4 Answers

Negotiation

There was no negotiation possible. All interns get paid the same

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at HubSpot (Boston, MA) in February 2014.

Interview

I was selected to interview at HubSpot from meeting representatives at my university's career fair. I was flown out a few weeks later (first class) and put in a very nice hotel close to the HubSpot office (walking distance) the night before my interview. My day started out with meeting my recruiter and one of the VPs, we took a tour of the office. Afterwards I had two technical interviews. I was asked basics over HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. Since my resume mentions my front-end work my interviewers focused in those technologies. I also had a behavioral interview with another VP where we looked at some projects I had on GitHub. This interview was meant to see how I would fit in the company culture. We all then had lunch and one of the VPs gave me a tour of Cambridge and Boston in his car. I was overwhelmed by the private tour of the area. Overall everyone I met was very nice and welcoming.

Interview Questions

• I received intricate questions about JavaScript prototyping. I also got a typical algorithmic interview question.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at HubSpot (Cambridge, MA) in February 2014.

Interview

TL;DR - Interviewing with HubSpot will be one of the most painless (if not enjoyable) interviews you will ever have. Don't expect trick questions, but be prepared to show what you are capable of (now and in the future).

Prior to interviewing, I was contacted via email for an informal chat with one of the Tech Leads at HubSpot who found me through Github. At the time, I was still working full-time and on the fence about changing jobs. The tech lead invited to the (Cambridge) office where he gave me a tour of the amazing office and we chatted about various projects I was working on related to web development. The chat I had was very informal and more importantly, very informative as he shed light on what it takes to be a valuable member in a place like HubSpot as well as what I could work on if I ever wanted to join.

Fast forward a few months and I decide to apply officially through their website for the Front-End Software Engineer position. The whole process probably took about 2-3 weeks from application to offer. I informed the tech lead I met a few months back that I applied and he helped speed up some of the initial filtering process by having me complete a couple programming problems through Talentguide. Having never done a programming challenge like this, I was a bit wary. However, I was put to ease when I realized the problems were primarily to see if I can code at all (no trick questions, basic CS101 type problems) and not whether I knew obscure CS theory.

Around the next day, I was contacted by a member of People Ops (HR) regarding an on-site interview. Since I was still working full-time, they were very understanding and allowed me to come in later in the evening (around 4pm) rather than take up my entire day. I was informed beforehand that I would meet with four members of the engineer team (names and positions given) and it would take roughly 3 hours.

On the day of the interview, I was given another tour of the office (a lot changed in those few months) and more or less started immediately. I expected a lot of whiteboard coding problems and CS101 type questions, but I was surprised (and relieved) when they primarily asked front-end related questions (JS, CSS, HTML). Most of the interviewers had already taken the time to go over my Github profile and my personal blog/website (code as well) so a majority of the time was used discussing about how I code, how I approach problems, why I choose a certain frameworks, etc. In addition, they provided a lot of information about HubSpot as a product and company and the work culture. It sounds cliche, but it was very clear through the interview the pride and passion the people at HubSpot had for the work they do. At the end of the interview, I was only able to meet with 3 out of the 4 members previously noted, but ended taking about the same time as the interview would just continue until it organically ended.

Now one thing to note is my background was not in CS, yet at no point did I feel I was being cornered or purposely tricked to find fault in my abilities. This was an initial concern I had because a few weeks prior, I applied to a similar position at a very well known tech company that basically did just that - ask obscure, unrelated problems to purposely find faults in a candidate rather than strengths. Luckily, the interviews at HubSpot felt more like the initial chat I had months before - laid back, but with more focus on me.

About a week later, another member of People Ops (HR) called to informed me that they would like to extend an offer.

Interview Questions

• Name and explain the common HTTP Request methods   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at HubSpot (Cambridge, MA) in April 2011.

Interview

Spoke with hiring manager over the phone for technical screen. Asked basic computer science questions (data structures, algorithms, etc) and a brainteaser. Brought in for face to face with members of the engineering team to spec out an commenting application similar to reddit on the whiteboard.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at HubSpot.

Interview

I was contacted by an HR recruiter who found me on linked in. Was very nice and persistent about coming in for an informal chat to check the office, not for an interview. I accepted, was impressed by the technologies, the talent and the opportunities, then scheduled an interview a few days later. Two days after the interviews I was told the feedback was positive and started negotiating the offer.

Interviews were very technical, met with 4 engineers (about 3hrs), algorithms, big-o, lots of white-board coding and system design, though nothing super crazy. Very informal and casual, very relaxed environment, I wore nice jeans and nice shirt, which made me feel more comfortable, as the interviewing engineers were also very relaxed.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

A bit through email with HR and a bit through phone with VP of Engineering. Overall very pleasant and open.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at HubSpot (Cambridge, MA) in June 2012.

Interview

Referral by a friend for a un-specified engineering role. HR rep contacted me, set up a phone screen, followed by a web-based basic programming aptitude test. Passed that, was then brought in for an in person interview with two team/tech leads, one peer level engineer and one high-level tech manager. Whiteboard coding tests, big-O evaluation, basic algorithmic improvement tests, as well culture-match questions asked face to face.

Interview Questions

• Design a system that can efficiently scale and store the count of all unique words from a *very large* document-based corpus of text.   4 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at HubSpot (Cambridge, MA) in July 2012.

Interview

I was contacted by an internal recruiter and after an initial conversation they setup a phone screen. The phone screen involved a coding challenge using one of those shared text editor tools as well as a series of technical questions and questions about my experience.
    After the phone screen they setup a face to face interview. Upon arriving at their office I was greeted by the recruiter, offered coffee, and escorted to a conference room. All very nice and polite. Then the interviews started. Their shtick seemed to be interviewing in pairs (or double-teaming) - I ended up speaking to 3 pairs of engineers.
    The first set was very polite and asked me to solve a whiteboard problem. One person was friendly and engaging and was able to provide a lot of insight into the day-to-day life at the company. The other person in the pair was quiet and seemed inexperienced, perhaps still learning how to interview, which is ok I suppose.
    The second pair included one senior engineer and one "uber-engineer". They asked a simple whiteboard problem, which I once again solved. Then they proceeded to ask various technical and design questions making fun of the technologies on my resume in the process (I found that to be very rude). The "uber-engineer" especially made some very smug comments about the fact that I use specific frameworks at my current job and proceeded to tout his own past experiences at IBM as a contrast. When I disagreed with his opinion and said that I don't like unnecessarily reinventing the wheel he seemed very unhappy with my response and seemed to have lost interest in speaking with me further. At the end of his line of questioning he seemed annoyed that I had questions of my own and after giving me some short answers about the company he left in a hurry along with the other engineer.
    The third pair consisted of a VP of engineering and another person. They were much more polite and the questions were more general - no white board this time. They were both friendly and forthcoming yet they too managed to poke fun at the technologies I used in the past, albeit in a less rude way.

After a couple of days the internal recruiter called me to say that they decided to pass because I wasn't a cultural fit. I was neither surprised nor particularly upset by this. I found the overall experience slightly unpleasant and very off-putting.

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at HubSpot (Cambridge, MA) in August 2014.

Interview

The recruiter sent me a message on LinkedIn in May 2014. I didn't reply until I was looking for a job, which happened in August same yer. He replied fast and arranged a phone conversation on the next day.
    I talked to the recruiter on the phone once and he arranged an online test. I took the test on the same day.
    Two days after that he called me and scheduled an in person interview. I came to Cambridge and I was interviewed by a tech lead, a software engineer and a director. Each asked different questions and explored different aspects of my skill set. The tech lead explored algorithms. The software engineer asked me about data modeling and performance optimizations. The director asked about previous jobs and I showed him one application I've built. After that we talked about the data model and architecture of my solution and future steps for it.

Interview Questions

• One of the questions that was asked was:
      Given two sorted lists (or arrays) and a number k, create an algorithm to fetch the least k numbers of the two lists.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at HubSpot (Cambridge, MA) in May 2015.

Interview

I got in touch with them via a friend that did an internship there. Getting through to the actual interview took a while, with some folks not responding for prolonged periods, but eventually I got through. From that point on, my experience was *fantastic*.

They did an online coding challenge which was very simple. Two questions, the first trivial and the second a bit harder, but involving palindromes and should be pretty easy if you can do normal technical interviews.

Then they brought me in for a short in person onsite where I had three (only three!) interviews with folks of varying seniority (from mid to pretty high).

Upon receiving the offer they made it very clear that they were going to be very flexible with it to allow me to succeed within the company. They're so focused on individual (and group) success, and it really shows throughout.

Honestly, I enjoyed this interview process and the negotiation process more than any other company I've ever applied for. HubSpot really stands out in a lot of ways.

Interview Questions

• Coding question online regarding palindromes (easy).   1 Answer
    • Went for a backend role, so a question regarding database queries.   Answer Question
    • Design a URL shortener.   Answer Question