HubSpot Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.3

1. Featured Interview

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at HubSpot (Cambridge, MA) in October 2019.

Interview

I found their job posting online and was emailed a coding challenge a few days later. You were given three hours to complete the following problem: You must hit a unique api to receive json data, modify and analyze the data, and then generate json in a specific format and post the data back to a different url. If the data was formatted correctly it responded with a 200 and you were told to zip up your code and upload it.

After the coding challenge I was asked to schedule a phone screen with a recruiter. They asked common questions about my experience, why hubspot, why ____, etc. At the end of the phone screen I was told the next step if I make it will be a final round on site interview, and that they will let me know of their decision in a week or so.

I ended up getting to the final round interview. It was four parts. First part was a a tour of their office, second was a technical interview with a CS question about n-grams that could be programmed in any language of my choosing. The third interview was half behavioral half javascript specific, focusing on prototype inheritance, closures, etc. The last section was a wrap up about my interview experience and any suggestions, salary expectations, other outstanding offers, etc.

A few days later I was given a phone call and given an offer that exceeded my expectations

Interview Questions

• Given a string s, and a number n, return the most common n-gram in s   3 Answers
    • If I would like to add a function to the string prototype, how would I do it?   3 Answers

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at HubSpot.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter. We chatted for 30 minutes on the phone, and she described their tech screening process was by sending candidates a link to an everyday like problem at work.
    Even though I solved it, they decided not to move forward with the message:
     "based on the current pool of candidates, we're not going to be moving forward at this point. We have found that the code test tends to be a very strong indicator of success in the remainder of the interview process as well as on the job."

Interview Questions

• Solve a coding assignment within 3 hours from the time of opening.   1 Answer

Product Designer Interview

Interview

Not a great first impression of HubSpot.

Recruiter reached out after applying for a screener call.

They were 5-mins late in calling me and ended our call 3-mins early by saying they had another call; that made me feel like they didn’t care about my time or my candidacy.

Interview Questions

HubSpot Response

May 26, 2020 – Director, Recruiting

Hi there, thanks for taking the time to write a review and I'm sorry you left your call feeling like your recruiter wasn't invested in their conversation with you. I'd be curious to learn what, aside from the timing of the call, led you to believe the recruiter didn't care about your candidacy, and would expect that in the time they did spend with you they were asking thoughtful questions and engaged in your answers. Especially during these times where people are in unconventional work environments, my hope is that there we can all have a bit of empathy for the need for a few minutes of transition time.

Customer Success Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at HubSpot (Cambridge, MA).

Interview

I was referred by a friend/old colleague in early February, and submitted my cover letter and resume. Shortly after, a call was set up with a recruiter. We spoke for about 30 minutes about my experience and goals and she scheduled me to meet with the hiring manager. We also spoke for about 30 minutes and she indicated they would like to bring me in. I met with 3 managers and a director about 4 weeks later, and then the VP a few days after this. I received feedback after each interview, which was incredibly helpful in understanding where I was in the process. At this point, however, the process was put on pause while Hubspot assessed headcount in the midst of COVID-19. My recruiter was very reassuring throughout, and after a couple of weeks I was scheduled to have one more conversation and presentation of a case study to a hiring manager. I received an offer a few hours later. My journey was unconventional due to COVID-19, but I really appreciated the transparency, support, and feedback that I received along the way. I would not have expected such a positive outcome during such an unpredictable time, but also felt reassured that Hubspot is being very thoughtful and strategic about its forward trajectory.

Interview Questions

• Why Hubspot? (This was asked several times, so ensure you have thought about this carefully)   Answer Question

May 19, 2020 – Director, Recruiting

Thanks so much for such a thoughtful review, and we're so glad you decided to join us. Our leadership team has been incredibly thoughtful in navigating our business growth in the wake of COVID-19, and I'm so proud that our team brought the same level of empathy and transparency to your process. Welcome to HubSpot, and stay well!

Content Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HubSpot.

Interview

I applied online through company website. I was contacted by email for a phone interview with in-house recruiter. I heard back from the recruiter to schedule a phone interview with hiring manager.

Interview Questions

• No specific Qs - just... Tell us about yourself and your background.   Answer Question

May 19, 2020 – Director, Recruiting

Thanks for taking the time to write a review - while you didn't share a ton of detail, I hope that your conversations with your recruiter and hiring manager were thoughtful and engaging. Best of luck in your job search!

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at HubSpot (Boston, MA).

Interview

I had a nice screening interview initially with one of Hubspot's internal recruiters. We talked about my interests as a developer and where I might be a good fit in terms of front-end, back-end, working with designers, etc. I was then sent a coding test and allowed to take it on my own schedule, though there was a 3 hour time limit. The test involved significant amounts of JSON data manipulation, and if you haven't done it to that extent before it becomes challenging to finish in 3 hours. My output wasn't quite right at the end so I didn't make it further in the process, but it was a great learning experience for aspiring developers and engineers, as well as professionals who want to further improve their skillset. Definitely recommend brushing up on sets, arrays, and maps to come up with a quick solution to the problem. My only concern with the process is that the code test itself does not differentiate for interviewees looking to join front or back-end teams.

Interview Questions

• Manipulate this scheduling data to find the best conference times for as many employees as possible.   Answer Question

May 20, 2020 – Director, Recruiting

Thanks for taking the time to write a review and I'm glad you learned something during the coding assessment. We regularly review the test itself to ensure it's relevant and reflective of the real-life work an engineer does at HubSpot, so thanks for your feedback on better differentiating between front and back end, we'll definitely consider that with our team. Best of luck in your job search!

Customer Success Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HubSpot.

Interview

Over seven interviews and calls for the position. With a final interview added in at the end. This person refused to discuss a role on my resume and even went so far as to direct questions away from it. I would say 5 interviews tops should be enough. It shows a lack of trust from the manager to the team.

Controller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at HubSpot (Cambridge, MA) in April 2020.

Interview

An internal recruiter contacted me based on my Linkedin profile. We set up a call and had a very nice conversation. She said she would talk to the hiring manager and get back to me. She got back to me and asked me to use an online tool to identify the times I was available. Within a short period of time I had video interviews set up with the hiring manager, his supervisor and several members of the team. During the whole process, I felt connected and informed.

Interview Questions

• Describe your leadership style   1 Answer

May 20, 2020 – Director, Recruiting

So glad you responded to our recruiter's outreach and thank you for taking the time to meet with us - while the process didn't make it to the end, I'm so glad your process was transparent and highly communicative throughout, especially during these times when everyone is interviewing virtually. Thanks for taking the time to write a review, we appreciate it!

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at HubSpot (Cambridge, MA).

Interview

Extensive interview process; asks a lot out of the candidate during the process. Had 7 rounds I had to get through only to be rejected. I understand the need for hiring the "right" fit, but this felt excessive.

Customer Support Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at HubSpot.

Interview

I applied online and got an email a few days later. The interview was very conversational, so I enjoyed that aspect of it. I asked a lot of questions that guided much of the conversation. We talked about career progression from the customer support specialist role, and how it's a little more difficult to advance into a marketing position. I'm glad the interviewer was transparent with me about the components of this role.

Interview Questions

• Are you looking at other post-graduate opportunities?   1 Answer

Senior Systems/Tools Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at HubSpot.

Interview

I was approached by a recruiter over email about the position and began the interview experience from there. There was a phone screen, followed by a skype call, followed by an on-site. Most of the questions were very high-level (ex. talk about leading a team or designing a product, problems you've encountered/triaged/solved). Everyone was pleasant and knowledgeable. I even received feedback on the pieces that needed improvement when I was told I wasn't getting an offer, which is great in and of itself.

My biggest issue with the interview came on one of the sections in the on-site. My interviewers came in and had not prepared for the discussion. They began by making up a hypothetical situation about API connections and while I tried to flesh out the situation by offering comments and answers, they admitted pretty quickly that they were making everything up on the spot. The result was a pained conversation that ended as an incredibly vague and relatively poorly described situation.
    When I was told they would not proceed with an offer, it was explained that the aforementioned section of the interview was the major piece that I was found lacking in, which was incredibly frustrating.

Interview Questions

• You have two systems you need to connect- how do you do it?   Answer Question

Feb 27, 2020 – Director, Recruiting

Hi there, thanks for taking the time to write a review. While I'm glad you found our team to be helpful and provided actionable feedback. That said, it sounds like we missed the mark with a newer interviewer who wasn't fully prepared for their meeting with you. I appreciate the feedback and will make sure we work with our team on interviewer preparedness so that others don't feel the same frustration you feel. Thanks for taking the time to meet with our team, and for the push to get better.