HubSpot Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 19, 2017

3.4

Customer Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portsmouth, NH

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at HubSpot (Portsmouth, NH).

Interview

The process took about three weeks. I was contacted for a phone interview with a recruiter. It was about 15 minutes long, and I moved on to another two interviews: one by phone with a manager and one via zoom (like Skype) with a technology manager, where I demo-ed three tasks using their program. After that, I moved on to three more interviews, face to face, at the Portsmouth office. They were 30 minutes each, where they ask questions about my experience, hypothetical scenarios, and yourself as a person (to see if you fit with their team). Lastly, I got a tour of the offices. I heard back from the recruiter about 3 days later.

It's a VERY thorough process, and at times the questions get repetitive, but they really want to make sure you will fit into their team. I suggest writing down all the questions as you go through the process and improve your answers after each interview.

Interview Questions

HubSpot Response

Oct 16, 2017 – Director, Recruiting

Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review. I appreciate you calling out how thorough our process is - you're right that we take a great deal of time to ensure that your skills, interests... More

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at HubSpot (Cambridge, MA) in October 2017.

Interview

To sum it up this is a company with very high standards of BS.

1) I completed my OO round in 30 mins he did not have anything to ask then he started talking about their open source projects,
    2) I did the code in 20 mins while explaining my process line by line then another 10 mins for debugging and covering the corner cases after which he said "I think the code is perfectly fine and would work in all scenarios" then he told me about his team.
    3) The system design was clean and readable to which I got a feedback from the interviewer that "this is a really good design and it would scale really well".

Still rejected and the reason that they gave me was hilarious "your code (Interview 2) was not fast enough (I did it in O(n). If the interviewer can do it in less time then he should quit Hubspot and open his own startup)".

Interview Questions

• Coding round: hit API get JSON manipulate it and hit again to get 200 response.   1 Answer

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at HubSpot.

Interview

Smooth process with lots of communication. The interview itself was informative and somewhat challenging. I felt like I had a good sense of what the company did and what the engineering culture was like afterwards.

Interview Questions

• I was asked a systems design question that was flexible enough for me to show my past experience in a variety of different aspects of system design.   Answer Question

Oct 5, 2017 – Director, Recruiting

Thanks for taking the time to write a review, glad our process gave you good insight into both our product and our culture. Welcome to HubSpot, thrilled you're joining us! - Becky

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at HubSpot (New York, NY) in October 2017.

Interview

Coding test was really tough. After spending three hours I still not complete the code test. So I think I have no chance of moving forward. I think they only want experienced candidate.

Interview Questions

• Create an API from scratch that takes user names, emails, one country they could attend and what dates they could attend that country. Find which dates for each country that the most people could attend in two consecutive days and return the dates as strings that they would be attending them. POST the countries with the dates as JSON properties to their server until you get a status of 200. The resulting JSON they're looking for does not match the example result provided.   Answer Question

Oct 16, 2017 – Director, Recruiting

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. You're right to call out that our coding test is challenging; ultimately, we want to ensure that the people we're hiring to join our engineering team... More

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at HubSpot (Boston, MA) in October 2017.

Interview

Compared to some of the other companies Ive interviewed at, this was a relatively painless, yet thorough interview process. Total process took about 3 weeks.

Initially connected with a Hubspot recruiter (Holly Peterson), who did an initial phone screening call and gave me a deeper insight to what the role entails. She then connected me with a recruitment coordinator (Allie Scheu), who helped coordinate and schedule the next steps.

The next step was a phone screening with a Hubspot sales manager, who gave an inside scoop on the day to day life of a sales rep. Holly and Allie managed all the coordination and next steps.

Next stage was a virtual interview with 3 sales managers via Zoom. Most of the interview questions were experience based and behavioral interview questions. Each interview lasted about 1hr.

Final stage was an in person sales meeting where I ran a mock discussion and presentation designed to further qualify and educate a potential customer. Holly, Allie and one of the sales managers, Gabe, all reached out and provided me with ample information, clarification and advice on how to best prepare for the mock sales meeting.

Overall, I was impressed with the communication, responsiveness, and accountability from the sales managers and specifically Hubspots recruitment team throughout this process. The recruiters were very helpful and clearly set expectations for each subsequent step. Both recruiters made the transitioning to the next step very easy and clearly articulated how I should best prepare for each phase of the interview process.

It was a thorough interview process, but understand that Hubspot wants to ensure that each potential candidate would be a fit for their culture and team.

Interview Questions

• What is a book you recently read, and what was your takeaway from it?   Answer Question

Director of Business Intelligence Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HubSpot.

Interview

Promising start but disappointing end (in the black hole of implied rejection without communication). Applied online and was contacted within a few weeks to schedule a phone screen with the recruiter. They use Greenhouse for easily submitting availability options online. Initial phone screen went well, and the next steps were a phone interview with the hiring manager. That seemed to go reasonably well, but I guess it didn’t, because after that, nothing. (Not even one of those generic automated rejection e-mails that are pretty easy to send with one click in 2017.)

When a company never gets back to you, most adults know that what means and move on. I followed up precisely once just in case there was a vacation-related delay or to see if they might be stalling and want to keep me warm while pursuing someone else, but never heard back. No need to chase a company down to confirm being rejected, but this is simply an unprofessional recruiting process.

In dealing with candidates who aren’t selected, a great recruiter expertly negotiates the delicate balance between giving candidates helpful feedback (e.g., fit issue, comp issue, experience issue) and avoiding unnecessary liability. A decent recruiter at least makes sure candidates get a status update, whether direct or automated. There are all sorts of challenges here, particularly candidate to recruiter ratios, but still, c'mon. A technology company in particular should know how to deal with this. It's even a little more awkward when you kind of specialize in automated e-mails.

It's a competitive market out there, and sometimes there's just a better candidate, or it's simply not a fit for a variety of reasons. There are also basic professional standards that a recruiting team should meet for candidate experience, and unfortunately HubSpot missed the mark here.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HubSpot (Cambridge, MA).

Interview

The process took 3-4 weeks. I submitted my resume and was contacted within, I'd say a week. They set up a phone interview for later in that week. After the first phone interview, they proceeded me to another phone interview with the person that would be my direct supervisor. I was then asked to come to the office for an in-person interview and meet some people part of the team. I met with about 5 different people. They told me they would be reaching out later in the week. They called me two days later and invited me back for the final steps, a presentation. I had a few days to put my presentation together. They reached out to me with an offer the day after my presentation.

It was a lengthy process, but I respected that. They put a lot of thought behind each offer they make which results in the great office environment.

Sep 7, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Welcome to the team, and thanks for taking the time to write up a review on your experience---we do indeed make the process rigorous, but our hope is that it's worth it to find great candidates like... More

Remote Work Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at HubSpot in September 2017.

Interview

I had interviewed previously for another role, but was found to be a better fit for this one (by the interviewer). She was definitely right, I was actually quite a good fit for this role that was very niche and required specific skills and experience - which I had.

We waited until this post was officially out and I was asked to submit a formal application, answering several detailed questions. The application was followed up with a phone screening that lasted maximum of 10 minutes, and I was only asked one quite basic question that I confidently provided an answer for.

The interviewer did not seem to be very interested in my answer and did not have anything else to ask or discuss. After she provided very brief information on the interview steps, I asked a few questions I had and that was all for the interview.

Interview Questions

• How would you implement remote work at a company that is implementing this model for the first time?   Answer Question

Service Trainer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at HubSpot in September 2017.

Interview

I applied for this role online in late August. I received an email about two weeks later to set up a phone interview, and this email also included the salary amount that would be allocated to this role, which was a surprise.

The first phone interview was with a member of the Recruiting team. They asked about my current position, why I am in the job market, why I was interested in HubSpot, what I knew about HubSpot, and what I knew about inbound marketing.

The following interview was with the Hiring Manager that used to hold the position for which I was being interviewed. I gave a brief overview of my current role, and then the majority of the conversation was centered around my knowledge of HubSpot. I had done an immense amount of research on the company prior to this phone interview, so I was confident with my answers. However, I was disappointed by this topic being the focus of the interview. Since the Hiring Manager had direct experience in this role, I was hoping for more questions related to my training methodologies and experiences to gauge if I was a right fit for the role related to those aspects. Having little previous involvement with inbound marketing in my career thus far, I admitted this, and I expressed my enthusiasm to learn more about inbound marketing and sales methodologies and how they help businesses grow.

Within three business days, I received the generic email from Recruiting that they would not be moving forward with the interview process, but there could be another position in the future, follow our blog, etc. I replied to receive some honest feedback related to this decision.

The feedback that I received was that their concern was around my knowledge of HubSpot and inbound marketing. I absolutely recognize that gauging a candidate’s knowledge of the company is important during the interview process. I spent hours researching this company, delving into all possible resources – their website, blog, press releases, Glassdoor, Indeed, LinkedIn, outside articles, etc. I could have easily answered questions about HubSpot and inbound marketing by regurgitating their website, but presented my answers in how I viewed these things based on my research.

Overall, I am disappointed in the interview process not furthering, but I am moreso disappointed that HubSpot may be losing out on remarkable potential employees by not giving them a chance to show how well they can learn the ins and outs of the company and the product. For prospective candidates, make sure that you research as much as possible about HubSpot prior to interviewing, as this appeared to be the most important subject during my two phone interviews.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about the HubSpot software and how it works?   Answer Question

Implementation Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at HubSpot in September 2017.

Interview

Applied through a Hubspot referral and was contact within days. They requested I complete a video interview, which was a first for me. The process consisted of being asked several questions and having 1-2 minutes to respond to each. I get very awkward when I can see myself on a screen and thought I botched it, but apparently my resume helped a lot because they moved me forward to the next round, a phone interview with the lead recruiter. I gave my availability and the call was scheduled for two weeks out. This in my opinion is a bit long to make a candidate wait, especially when it's not even to speak to the hiring manager. A week later I received and accepted another offer, so withdrew my candidacy.

Interview Questions

• Why do you believe you are qualified for this role?   1 Answer

Oct 5, 2017 – Director, Recruiting

Hi there, thanks for taking a time the time to write a review and I'm sorry our timing didn't align with yours. The end of September this year was a tricky time for us, as it was right in the middle... More