KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Current Employee, more than 3 years

Life at REI

Jan 29, 2017 - Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great work/life balance, employee focused company, great discounts on gear, overall positive culture.

Cons

Compensation is not competitive for Seattle market, few opportunities for advancement

2 people found this review helpful
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee

Retail Sales

Jun 23, 2022 - Sales
    Business Outlook

Pros

Extensive Training for new hires

Cons

rigid schedules with little room for advancement

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

“Benevolent” Big Box Store

Jun 6, 2022 - Sales Lead
    Business Outlook

Pros

If you’re a lover of the outdoors and enjoy outdoor hobbies, you will definitely appreciate working in a “toy store” full of quality gear.

Cons

By far, the largest con would be the total emphasis on membership sales. It does not matter what else an employee brings to the table. If they don’t push the membership as hard as possible, they will be penalized in some fashion. My membership sales were fine, but REI’s treatment of employees hinges entirely on one metric. That is not at all what you would expect from a company that works so hard to appear different from other big box stores. Also: Poor compensation, Lack of focus on employee knowledge and competencies, and the fact that they market themselves through virtue signaling and pandering. Trust me, they don’t really care about anything beyond their bottom line. Seeing behind the curtain was discouraging as a longtime member of the co-op… which is not an actual co-op, by the way. Members do not get to choose board members or vote on many important issues. REI used to be run by folks who love the outdoors. It has gone 100% corporate and uses the environmental/inclusivity platform to guarantee growth.

Continue reading
    4 people found this review helpful

Discover more reviews about REI.

REI Photos

+ Add Photo
REI photo of: Green Vest always ready to assist our members.
REI photo of: Reception area in our Sumner Distribution & Customer contact center
REI photo of: One of the many areas on campus to unwind & relax...
REI photo of: Working hard at headquarters
REI photo of: A great start to any day is a green vest huddle!
REI photo of: A popular feature to our campus- our indoor bike rack storage! Perfect for the rainy northwest season!
REI photo of: REI team members at our contact center-- helping out our customers!