REI - One of the best retailers to work for! | Glassdoor
Pros
Cons
  • "Its just an internal marketing scheme to make it look like the actually care about your work-life balance" (in 39 reviews)

• "No full time employment opportunities" (in 98 reviews)

Employee Review

Employee Review

"One of the best retailers to work for!"

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in New York, NY
Current Employee - Sales Specialist in New York, NY

I have been working at REI full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love the gear, our customers and the team I work with. I never dread going to work and find myself putting in extra time. I love what REI stands for and find it easy to talk about the Co-Op. I really appreciate the direction that executive management is taking our company.

Cons

Pay is not the best, but fair considering comparable employers. Management above the store level seems to be more interested in their own career advancement. I think our marketing folks are too focused on the next trend and sometimes lose site of our core customer and our competencies.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing us to exceed our customer's expectations. Keep pushing to improve the technical tools that help make our jobs effective and efficient. This is especially important relative to the selling process in the store (as opposed to the online experience).

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

"It's a family"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Berkeley, CA
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at REI part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

REI has taken excellent care of me over the years. They've paid me tuition reimbursement for school, given me a grant of gear to run a marathon, contributed largely to my retirement savings and just clearly have the best in mind for their employees. Schedules are flexible and the team works hard to make time-off requests work so you can have a full life. The company proudly supports gay marriage, and works hard to be a good employer for minorities including but not limited to racial and ethnic minorities and sexual and gender minorities (trans people). Oh, and your coworkers will become the shining light you look forward to daily. :)

Cons

It's still a co-op and a family, which is great, but the very fact that people are so valued and trusted means no micromanagement. Sounds awesome until you have to humor someone else's dumb idea. Keep this in mind when you pitch your own dumb ideas. Everybody's opinion counts.
    Also, staffing varies hugely throughout the year. It's a retail necessity. I advise anyone to have REI be a second job if they're not going into management.

Advice to Management

Good job, Jerry Stritzke! You rock and I appreciate what you do. Thanks for allowing us to host free classes for employees, thanks for lots of awesome things, like the gear bank and being open to hearing from all REI employees. Thanks for meeting us in person, too. I do request that you please re-vamp the review process so that most people don't have to be told they're average (sucks to hear that, no one likes to think of themselves that way), and also please keep up the hard work to promote women and minorities. The job is not done yet.

2. "AWESOME!"

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Redmond, WA

I have been working at REI part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People are great...coworkers and customers. Great discount.

Cons

Hours can be hard to get in slow times...the stores are VERY budget conscience.

Advice to Management

Help foster long term career goals for employees.

Discover more reviews about REI.