REI - One of the best retailers to work for! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for REI

"One of the best retailers to work for!"

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in New York, NY
Current Employee - Sales Specialist in New York, NY

I have been working at REI full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love the gear, our customers and the team I work with. I never dread going to work and find myself putting in extra time. I love what REI stands for and find it easy to talk about the Co-Op. I really appreciate the direction that executive management is taking our company.

Cons

Pay is not the best, but fair considering comparable employers. Management above the store level seems to be more interested in their own career advancement. I think our marketing folks are too focused on the next trend and sometimes lose site of our core customer and our competencies.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing us to exceed our customer's expectations. Keep pushing to improve the technical tools that help make our jobs effective and efficient. This is especially important relative to the selling process in the store (as opposed to the online experience).

Other Employee Reviews for REI

"Help us, help you."

Current Employee - Retail Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Manager

Pros

The people that I work alongside everyday keep me coming back. I have never worked with such a committed crew.

Cons

Stretched too thin to provide the prescribed customer engagement. Directives from HQ are disjointed and unrealistic at a store level.

Advice to Management

Payroll is supremely underfunded to maintain adequate staffing levels. Staff are burned out resulting in higher turnover and customers not finding the level of service they have come to expect. Super high expectations for a pay scale that is below industry standard. Add incentives for your knowledgeable, committed and dedicated staff. Stop rolling out half-baked processes and procedures.

"It's a family"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Berkeley, CA
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at REI part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

REI has taken excellent care of me over the years. They've paid me tuition reimbursement for school, given me a grant of gear to run a marathon, contributed largely to my retirement savings and just clearly have the best in mind for their employees. Schedules are flexible and the team works hard to make time-off requests work so you can have a full life. The company proudly supports gay marriage, and works hard to be a good employer for minorities including but not limited to racial and ethnic minorities and sexual and gender minorities (trans people). Oh, and your coworkers will become the shining light you look forward to daily. :)

Cons

It's still a co-op and a family, which is great, but the very fact that people are so valued and trusted means no micromanagement. Sounds awesome until you have to humor someone else's dumb idea. Keep this in mind when you pitch your own dumb ideas. Everybody's opinion counts.
    Also, staffing varies hugely throughout the year. It's a retail necessity. I advise anyone to have REI be a second job if they're not going into management.

Advice to Management

Good job, Jerry Stritzke! You rock and I appreciate what you do. Thanks for allowing us to host free classes for employees, thanks for lots of awesome things, like the gear bank and being open to hearing from all REI employees. Thanks for meeting us in person, too. I do request that you please re-vamp the review process so that most people don't have to be told they're average (sucks to hear that, no one likes to think of themselves that way), and also please keep up the hard work to promote women and minorities. The job is not done yet.