Slalom - Highly Recommended | Glassdoor
Pros
  • "The work/life balance is definitely the best I've experienced" (in 246 reviews)

• "I have a great people manager who cares about my success in this role & compensation" (in 71 reviews)

Cons
  • "Little work/life balance/flexibility - Slalom will claim that their focus on" (in 31 reviews)

• "After all these years still so much staff aug work as an individual contributor with limited leadership support" (in 54 reviews)

Employee Review

Employee Review

"Highly Recommended"

Current Employee - Consultant in Denver, CO
Current Employee - Consultant in Denver, CO

I have been working at Slalom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Slalom has a fantastic inclusive culture which focuses on their greatest resource, their people. It is a culture that inspires their people to grow professionally, have a work/life balance, and be their authentic selves. There are several growth models from consultant to executive leadership, and the leaders are always willing to help individuals to achieve their professional and personal goals.

Cons

The recruiting process can take longer than general expectations, but this is because candidates interview with various functional areas and leaders of their respective market so that they can be properly placed into the organization.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on how to keep the amazing culture as the company grows and expands internationally.

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

"Red Flags"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Slalom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Pay/Benefits: benefits are good, though 401K could be better. Pay is alright. Could be better, but I think it’s fair.
    I don’t regret working here because I truly have learned a lot. However, it’s not all that it’s cracked up to be, and I’m currently looking for an exit.

Cons

I waited this long to post this review, even though I noticed red flags after red flags on my projects. That is because I gave Slalom the benefit of the doubt, blaming either the client or the nature of Consulting. But as of today, I am realizing that the underlying reason for my unhappiness is the fact that Slalom truly doesn’t live up to the promises it sells to candidates during recruiting as well as the “Slalom values” it heavily advertises to attract Big 4 applicants.
    - Work/life balance is the biggest myth. I work as many hours at Slalom as I did at multiple Big 4 firms prior to coming here, if not more. Most projects are Slalom are understaffed and the scope of the work is poorly estimated. Maybe the people in leadership have good work life balance. However as Consultants, you are a slave. And I’m not talking 40-50 hour work weeks; trust me, I’m no stranger to hard work. I’m talking consistent 60-70 hour work weeks, but allowed to charge only 40 hours, because God forbid, you get interrogated if you’re going over the allotted hours. I really wish I could share a screenshot of my entire team being online at 10pm.
    - PTO counts against chargeability. Which negatively impacts bonuses. In fact, if you are below a certain chargeability level, you get negative bonuses. Since Slalom advertises so heavily as a firm that cares about people’s well-being, I would like to point out this hypocrisy. Note that HR will try to either not mention this or straight up lie when asked, so be careful.
    - People development: depends on luck. I’m lucky to have a great People Manager who *seems* to care about me. But I personally know people who have unfortunately been paired with leaders who only care about you if you’re part of the popular crowd. Which brings me to my next point.
    - Culture: very political. If you “piss off” the wrong person, your career and reputation here is done. If you suck up to the right person, you’ll get the necessary good feedbacks in Workday. If you are a white male with a salesperson attitude, you’ll fit in and get promoted quickly, regardless of your skill set.

Advice to Management

Hire people with Slalom values into leadership positions

Slalom Response

Jul 10, 2018 – President & Co-founder, North America

This is John Tobin. Would love to have a conversation with you before you leave Slalom - simply email me at johnt@slalom.com to set up a time to talk. I am going to forward to your market leader... More

"Save yourself!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Slalom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They some how managed to attract a great group of talent. Have met some amazing and wonderful people that worked there.

Cons

Bully boss, hostile, abusive, toxic work environment. Untrustworthy leadership team. Culture is for show and to sell to people in interviews. Once you arrive, they could care less. Rather than fix the issues they allowed amazing senior team members to leave (in droves) and backfilled them with cheap mediocre talent.

Advice to Management

Stop putting the wrong people in the right roles

Discover more reviews about Slalom.