Slalom Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 17, 2017

2.8

1. Featured Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Slalom (Boston, MA) in October 2016.

Interview

Phone Screening with Recruiter: ~30 Min
    1st Interview onsite ~2 hrs: Case Interview with two change management consultants designed to show case change management thought process, method and skills. Met with Practice Lead after and talking in detail through resume and experience.
    2nd Interview ~90 minutes: Met with a business development lead, Managing director and change management/healthcare consultant.
    3rd Interview ~30 minutes: Met with Boston General Manager, was asked a few questions
    Final discussion with Recruiter about next steps - They wanted to move forward, but needed to wait on an offer until the new year started.

Whole process took ~2 months, was offered a job 6-8 weeks after interview process wrapped up.

Interview Questions

• Discuss your experience and how it will lend to success as slalom. What do you love? Tell me about a project that didn't end as planned. Tell me a time where you received some difficult criticism, and how did you respond and move forward.   Answer Question

Mar 12, 2017 – National Talent Acquisition Director

Congratulations on your offer and decision to join Slalom! As timing is everything, we thank you for your patience with the offer coming a short time after your interviews wrapped up. We're so... More

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Slalom (Portland, OR).

Interview

The process started by reaching out to a contact within Slalom, and then having in-person meetings with both the GM of the Portland office and the Lead of the division I'd be joining (Information Management & Analytics). After meeting with both of them and describing my past work experience and my goals, I then had a call with a consultant who I'd likely work with, who gauged my experience and talked about the work they did. At this point I was sold on working at Slalom, and I believe they were sold on my ability to contribute.

Next, I came in a few weeks later to meet with 4 consultants in different roles (all separately), who did some light gauging of my technical skills and personality review, and also gave me a lot of opportunities to ask questions, as I would be brand new to the consulting world. The next week I met with the person who would be my potential boss, and we talked analytics and potential projects. A couple weeks later I received a verbal offer on the phone, and a few weeks after that I received the paperwork.

Overall, the process was positive, with the major exception being the amount of time it took - it took about 3 months from my initial email to my first day. I know that many of the people who interviewed me were consultants and were on client sites a lot of the time, which would make scheduling difficult, but starting after my initial meetings I had a friend get laid off, interview at multiple places, receive multiple offers, and start before me! Something needs to be done to streamline the interview process.

Interview Questions

• Why the switch to consulting? What traits of mine would make me a good consultant? (There were some technical questions too but none that were unexpected)   Answer Question

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Slalom.

Interview

The best, most pleasant interview process I have ever gone through! I interviewed with the leadership of the team that I would be joining, and they truly asked all the right questions to find out if I would be a good fit for their team and for the company (and allowed/encouraged me to do the same). Slalom's core values (2 of the biggest reasons I wanted to work here) are truly ingrained in the company's culture and embodied by every person I had met through the interview process. The recruiter was so wonderful, and would check in with me everyday to see how I was doing with the decision making process and offered extremely helpful advice.

Interview Questions

• The asked me about my past work, project, industry, and client experiences.
      Why I was looking for a change/why Slalom.
      What my management/project management style and process is.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Slalom in July 2017.

Interview

Slalom's process was crisp, human, and very efficient. A former colleague made introductions to their recruiting leader, whom I met with first. The primary assessment was on background, accomplishments, and most telling to me – my and Slalom’s cultural/style fit. Two interview rounds were scheduled from there with leaders at various levels who all had a similar interview approach, some more technical, some more sales-focused, all assessing personality style and cultural fit.

Slalom got back to me and started negotiations after just a couple of days, and we came to an agreement within 48 hours. From there, Slalom recruiting was very fast and precise, remained in consistent communication with me and was very effective in explaining the offer details, job details, benefits, etc.

They didn't waste time with iterative interview loops, mixed messaging, or long periods with no communication. The interviewers were very intellectually sharp but very approachable. Quite frankly, the best interview experience I've ever had, and has left me with a great feeling of confidence that I’m joining a firm which it and it's leaders are on top of their game.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when your company and your client had different short term interests. What did you do to navigate that and what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Aug 15, 2017 – National Talent Acquisition Director

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a thorough review of your experience interviewing with Slalom. We are so pleased to hear it was your best experience to-date, and appreciate the details... More

Salesforce Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Slalom (Boston, MA) in July 2017.

Interview

This was the most enjoyable interview I've ever experienced. The interviewers were personable and inquisitive and open to sharing their experience of the company. It felt more like a conversation than an interview, and I actually enjoyed it.

Interview Questions

• What was a challenging experience you had and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Aug 7, 2017 – National Talent Acquisition Director

Thank you for the feedback! We certainly love hearing that your experience with Slalom was among the best you've experienced. Congratulations on the offer and decision to join Slalom; we're so... More

Full Stack Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Slalom (Irvine, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

The recruiter contacted me about this position. Met with the recruiter followed by two 30-minute, 1 hour long phone screens and a face to face 2 hour interview. Overall process took like 2+ months.

Interview Questions

• Standard Java, JavaScript, Angular interview questions.
      2 Algorithm questions
      1 AWS Design question   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Slalom (Minneapolis, MN) in July 2017.

Interview

I inquired about Slalom when exploring career options. A couple of former colleagues were working there and had very good things to say about it. The interview process took place over a few weeks, with three of them coming in the last couple. I met with a recruiter, two lead consultants, and a practice director.

All of them demonstrated great professionalism and provided examples of why Slalom is a good place to work. To a person, they all mentioned how they liked the culture and how Slalom lives up to what they advertise as an employer.

Interview Questions

• What direct experience do you have helping an organization with an Agile transformation?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Slalom (Seattle, WA) in July 2017.

Interview

At first contact with Slalom the recruiter was great he was friendly and easy to talk to. After meeting with the recruiter I was scheduled for a technical phone screen. The phone screening was also an enjoyable experience, the senior engineer that was conducting the screen was very friendly, clear, and easy to understand. Afterwards I was asked to wait a few weeks for an on-site interview while they get things setup on their end. I was contacted by another recruiter, she was very helpful and quick to respond when it came to communication/details.

When the on-site interview was scheduled it was outline very specifically. I spent the week preparing based on the given template and compiled notes from everyone I talked to. When I arrived on-site the two interviewers were nice. I was told they would be easy to talk to and understand. The interview didn't go as expected, aside from the first question that I was asked. The second person involved in the interview was very friendly, but her English was very hard to understand and the question was not clear. It was very obvious to me that the two were not given the same information I was. The first interviewer kept looking at his watch, and seemed to just want to rush through and get it over with, and give it off the feel that he wasn't paying attention at times.

I imagine the on-site process was properly designed, but it was very poorly executed. I understand a lot of it had to do with not being a good match for them on the technical level based on the interview but the interview itself wasn't a good assessment of somebodies technical understanding. The feedback received made it very obvious to me that the interviewer didn't care to put much thought or effort into the interview. I was told to work on skills, and techniques that weren't mentioned or facilitated during the interview.

Things could have went a lot smoother if the communication among the leadership was a bit more defined internally. I debated giving it a positive review because it was a good experience overall, and provides a lesson in always being prepared and ready for anything.

Interview Questions

• Add two strings together written out as an integer.
      Ex "12" + "5" return "17"   Answer Question

Cloud Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Slalom (San Francisco, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

Interview process was quite simple, Some from Talent Acquisition called and asked about your interests. After couple of weeks they called again and scheduled 3 hour discussion in their office.

Initial intro from the HR was good and explained well about their process and work nature.

2nd round Technical Screen by one of their senior architect, I really enjoyed discussion with interviewer. As he is consultant he is expecting my answers in that way.

3rd Round with Director of the SF region. There was no much discussion, he came with my resume with lot of green marks on it, he said am not fit for the position!!! He found 3 spelling mistake in my resume and he said he disappointed with that itself and informed me that i over stated my resume.

I don't see any professionalism from start entering into their(I am not complaining about the infrastructure they having)

Interview Questions

• Why this spelling is wrong in the resume you prepared it in a hurry ?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Tysons Corner, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Slalom (Tysons Corner, VA) in July 2017.

Interview

The interview process was unique for sure. Initially, I was contacted by one of their recruiters after asking a colleague to pass along my information. The recruiter and I had a nice extensive conversation about who Slalom was, what they can provide and what was I looking for. I was then scheduled to come into their office for an interview with two of their team members.

When I came, I got a brief office tour, then I met with both team members individually, each interview ranging around 30 minutes. Upon inquiring about the remaining hiring process, one of the interviewees mentioned that it took them about 4 interviews to get an offer. Luckily for me, the other two individuals who I would eventually have to meet with were in the office, so they came in after the initial two that I was scheduled. I'm assuming this may be an issue for some people, especially if they have a tight time frame available for the interview, but for me, it was no issue.

Lastly, after meeting with the the four team members, I was scheduled a final interview with the General Manager of the local office about a week later. This interview lasted about 45 minutes and we touched on several topics, mainly focusing on who I was individually and what I could bring to the culture of the office.

After the final interview, I got an offer letter about 5 days later. All in all, it was a pleasant experience and got to meet many friendly people.

Interview Questions

• What are you looking to make, salary wise?   1 Answer
    • Why are you looking to change jobs?   1 Answer
    • What are your hobbies and interests outside of work?   1 Answer

Leadership Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Slalom.

Interview

At two separate times , I was reached out by two separate recruiters via LinkedIn . After scheduling a meeting both of them never called after scheduling time slots . Both of these recruiters were completely indifferent and inconsiderate of other people's priorities and time schedule. After following twice I gave up wondering if I was unlucky to interact with the bad apples or is it the company culture.

Also to add these events were at different times , with two different recruiters from two different cities .

In my career of 10 + years I have never came across such poor practices. Disciplinary actions should be taken against such terrible recruiters

Jul 31, 2017 – National Talent Acquisition Director

Thank you for your feedback. We strive to give all candidates a positive experience, regardless of the outcome, and apologize that this was not the case for you. Commitment to scheduled meeting... More