Starbucks - Can't beat it for flexible hours and full benefits. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Starbucks

"Can't beat it for flexible hours and full benefits."

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Providence, RI
Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Providence, RI

Pros

Starbucks gives full benefits for part-time work, which is awesome. You generally have some flexibility in your hours up until the schedule is set the week beforehand, making this a perfect job for students and artists who need health insurance but need to not be in the office 9-5 every day.

Cons

You end up working weird shifts -- sometimes until 1 am to close, sometimes arriving at 4:30 am to open. And someone has to work the holidays, so be prepared to negotiate with your co-workers for your favorites.

Advice to Management

I know Starbucks is at the center of your life, but for most employees, it isn't. They can still take pride in their work, so don't be offended or disheartened when other things take priority.

Other Employee Reviews for Starbucks

1. "it was okay"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Pros

I has good co-workers, the store has their "regular" customers that always come in, friendly environment, partners receive benefits if you average out at least 20 hours a weeek which is pretty nice. And tips are always nice cause it's extra free money

Cons

opening shifts can start as early as 430 in the morning, tips can fluctuate depending on your area. I went from almost 1.50 to about 25 cents an hour in tips when i transferred which is a big gap.

Advice to Management

i had good and bad managers. for the bad ones, we make the store run efficiently not the other way around

"Horrible!"

Former Employee - Barista in Exton, PA
    Former Employee - Barista in Exton, PA

Pros

The only pro of working there was getting to drink free starbucks all throughout my shift and the markouts on coffee and tea.

Cons

I was never once given requested time off. I wrote my requests in sharpie marker in the request off booklet our manager had and she scheduled me for every single day I requested off multiple times and then told me she didn't see my request. Another time instead of writing my request off in the booklet (since that did not seem to work) I wrote my manager a letter requesting the days off. I was once again scheduled for every single day requested off and when I called her to ask her about it she said that the words on my letter were all jumbled up and that my letter didn't make sense and was laughed at.
    I was repeatedly scheduled for shifts during which I had class (college student) and then when I would ask my boss she would give me a horrible excuse, the worst one being that she thought my availability was when I was unable to work instead of vice versa.
    When we were being constantly pushed to sell Via our manager was playing with the sales and encouraging employees to hold the customer's money after they had bought a drink and then ring it up after they had left the counter as Via instead of what they actually bought. The manager and a few other employees would take the Via home with them.
    The district manager refused to listen to any complaints about our manager and a few employees who expressed concerns about management were actually fired and some were transferred to other stores, some without more than a one day notice.
    Baristas were given absolutely no respect by the upper management at all. I had never been treated so poorly at a job in my life. I did hear the company used to be great to work for but has recently gone downhill (we had one employee who had been working for them for almost 10 years and she agreed more than anyone)

Advice to Management

Treat the baristas right and listen to them! Our store was actually closed down because of the state the manager had put it in (there were only 3 employees left by the time the store shut, everyone else quit and those 3 employees were new hires) If the DM had listened to employees instead of firing them or transferring them the store would probably still be open and flourishing (it was a very busy store)