Cover image for VMware

Former Intern, less than 1 year

PhD Intern

Oct 11, 2016 - PhD Intern in Austin, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

First of all, the salary package they offered me as an intern was above my expectations. The project I worked on had a very small-company feel, partly since we were working on a pre-1.0 product (which was very cool), and also because my manager did an excellent job of keeping the distractions from senior management to a minimum. All of my colleagues were willing to either help me when I got stuck or aim me at the right person to ask -- there was no "I'm too busy to help you" mentality there. Also, VMware has a "use as much time off as you need" policy. As long as you're getting your work done and clear it with your manager, you can take as much vacation as you want.

Cons

With the Dell acquisition of EMC there is some uncertainty of how that will affect VMware. However, the message from management is that things will continue "business as usual".

1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Good place to work

Nov 23, 2022 - Staff Engineer I in Palo Alto, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good place to work . WOrk life balance

Cons

Nothing to say about it

2. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great Compensation and Supportive Management

Nov 15, 2022 - Solutions Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Though there were some bumps along the way, I was very impressed by the compensation structure and felt recognized for my contribution from a financial standpoint. SE management was always incredibly competent, empathetic, and proactive.

Cons

There could be some improvements in collaboration between SEs and the Sales Managers they work WITH (not FOR), however that can vary greatly between different teams. Additionally, while VMware has worked diligently to update the product portfolio and keep up with the ever-changing IT landscape, that doesn't change the fundamental technology that started the company--just adds onto it in a never-ending amalgamation of branded products in various suites and packages via acquisition after acquisition. It is a tired message for consumers that are more and more entranced by the benefits of cloud native offerings. Obviously VMware is trying to keep up with exactly this, but it is a challenge to outrun their on-prem legacy in the minds of customers.

Continue reading
    Be the first to find this review helpful

Discover more reviews about VMware.

VMware Careers

Cover image for VMware

When you work here, you’re connected to a global community working together to solve the most critical technology challenges. You’re...More

• #VMwarelife
  • Benefits
  • Giving Back
  • University Talent

VMware Photos

+ Add Photo
VMware photo of: Employees gathered for an All Hands After Party (themed “Spring Break”) at a recent meeting in Palo Alto.
VMware photo of: VMware Foundation