VMware Reviews

Updated May 7, 2021

4.3
Pros
  • "work life balance is the best in biz(in 663 reviews)

• "amazing work environment and passionate teammates(in 295 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Middle management kills progressive change to suit the business(in 108 reviews)

• "Upper management is rarely genuine(in 77 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of VMware and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Best company to work for

May 6, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work life balance and Career growth

Cons

You get comfortable with the environment

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great place to work w/ strong benefits, company culture, career progression, etc.

Apr 21, 2021 - Digital Marketing Specialist
      Business Outlook

Pros

Recent organizational changes have helped streamline operations, align with other GTM departments, and create clear ownership over roles and responsibilities. Strong benefits across the board (i.e. medical, 401k, health & wellness, ESPP, career growth & learning opportunities, etc.) show upper management's continued commitment to attract and retain top talent.

Cons

VMware is currently undergoing a transitional period across the board and alignment b/w teams and BUs will take some time to be seamless. Only cons are standard to large organizations, such as finding tangible ways your work is making an impact, but leadership is focused on making sure each and every person see's their value.

3. 5.0

Great place to work.

May 5, 2021 - Sales Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

I love the work life balance. It is the best part about working here.

Cons

Upper management seems to change constantly

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

10/10

May 4, 2021 - Program Coordinator in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing benefits, culture, flexibility. It's not hard to love.

Cons

No cons. It really is amazing. Maybe the fact that it's still corporate? Lots of approval needed to do one thing.

5. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Finance Team in Palo Alto vmware

May 6, 2021 - Finance Manager in Palo Alto, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Salary is very competitive and benefits are good

Cons

Very toxic environment in Finance. Only people who are in cahoots with Sr. management can get ahead. They don't do any work, just schmooze around.

6. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Best company I've ever worked for

May 6, 2021 - Account Manager in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people, solid culture and solid pay, for now.

Cons

Worsening corporate wokeness, support for CRT and Marxism.

7. 5.0

Fantastic place to work!

Apr 23, 2021 - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fantastic compensation and work life balance, I have always gotten the sense that management respects engineering team (they were all former engineers) and treats their employees as people.

Cons

I have heard that it can be hit or miss depending on the business unit - I can only speak for the Boston office but I love it.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great Company to work for

Apr 9, 2021 - Senior Cloud Solution Architect in Beaverton, OR
      Business Outlook

Pros

I spent most of my career trying to get exactly where I am right now which is as a Solution Architect at VMware. I love the people I work with, my boss is great, the pay and benefits are excellent.

Cons

It can be confusing at first when you get here because so much is done through tribal knowledge and accessing the right people within the company to get help with things. But everyone is willing to jump in and help with anything so you get over that pretty quickly.

1 person found this review helpful
    9. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 8 years

Great place to work that values quality of life and family

Jun 24, 2019 - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

VMware is a big company but in many ways had a startup vibe. That was great because the resources and infrastructure of a big company were there, but it gave most people I worked with freedom to work on many projects, influence, move around, and contribute in many ways. Plus, many things moved faster than they might at other companies of the same size. Perks were really great including bonuses, events on the campus, opportunities, etc.

Cons

The biggest con is the annual layoff. During most of the years I was there, we were growing like crazy, beating expectations, gaining in stock price, etc. It was always positive and upward. However, every single January, it was known that there would be a round of layoffs, even when all numbers were looking great as they almost always were. Management called it restructuring. But, over the years, some really good people were let go for no apparent reason. Then to add insult to injury, a week or two later, there would be a company quarterly meeting discussing how VMware was doing so well and is still hiring, but they had to make some changes. It always felt dishonest and the sympathy for those let go came across as disingenuous.

65 people found this review helpful
    10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

A great company to work for

Apr 29, 2021 - Senior Manager Software Engineering in Palo Alto, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of opportunities. Great campus. Lots of technology especially system level.

Cons

Nothing specific to highlight. Normal office politics.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 6,133 Reviews