VMware Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.2

1. Featured Interview

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Reston, VA) in June 2017.

Interview

HR call, Skype Interview, Phone interview. That's it.

Not too many technical questions. The company wants to hire qualified as well as great people.

Just be yourself and make an impression. Of course it is vital to answer questions eloquently and demonstrate your competence as a candidate. That is a given, but beyond that you need to be remembered to be considered for any position.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you went above and beyond the realm of your responsibilities.   Answer Question
    • Complete this sentence with one word. As a consultant, my job is to ______   Answer Question
    • Tell me about yourself.   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at VMware.

Interview

The recruiter for one role seemed very positive about my experience and going to the next step. Then - nothing. I applied for other roles with no response. I even provided a very good reference and verifiable performance history and continue to watch men with less credible experience that I know were poor performers in previous roles get hired over me. I won't be applying for any more roles for VMWare and would advise women to focus their searches elsewhere. A quick search on linkedin shows almost all men in sales as well. All the signs of another tech boys club.

Staff Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

Applied online and got a call from the recruiter. Took about a week to set up a time for a technical phone screen with an Engineer. A coding puzzle using hacker rank.
    There was a second technical phone screen with an architect and discussion and a small puzzle. Invited for an onsite with half day of interview with the team.

Interview Questions

• Given a tree, how would determine if it is a binary search tree ?   1 Answer
    • design a thread pool class, given an initial number - n (say), start n threads and each threads should be able to receive a task and execute it.   Answer Question
    • Given a linked list, group the odd numbered nodes ( not value) and even numbered nodes together.   Answer Question

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at VMware in May 2017.

Interview

Was contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn. The initial HR round was pretty good. Got selected for the first Phone Technical round. I felt the interview was okay. I was asked to code in my preferred language and was also asked about my projects on resume. It was about 45 mins call but got extended for another 15mins. I had a great time learning about the project that they were working on.

Interview Questions

• BST insertion, deletion and find a node. Complexity(worst and best case analysis) in finding a node.   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

Two phone screens with HR and a technical staff. What the HR mentioned that could happen next did not happen at all. Very bad experiences. Would not recommend to you guys at alll.

QA Engineer (QE- MTS) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

Easy phone interview, then called for onsite. At onsite, the first interviewer had printed 3 pages full of questions to ask. Seriously?? I have attended a lot of interviews, first time in my life I saw someone printing the questions and asking like a rapid-fire round. Asked more than 50-60 questions in 45 mins. Vmware should teach their employees how to interview. Next 3 interviewers including hiring manager were fine, again the last one was grilling more on keywords in resume. He asked questions which he also dint know the answers. After 2 weeks the HR shared the feedback, which was NO.

Interview Questions

• All theoretical questions on Python like what is decorator, yield, generator, list, tuple etc.
      Basic networking questions diff bt router & switch, TCP/UDP, routing, linux CLI commands etc.
      How APR works
      Test cases of an elevator.
      Describe operation of BGP, OSPF, RIP.
      Grilling on each keyword in resume.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

First round Hackerrank: Extremely difficult questions. I've given a lot of interviews elsewhere including the top tech giants, vmware questions were more difficult. If someone could crack those questions in the given timeframe, they surely will crack all the tech giants interviews.
    Don't see glassdoor and give the test. The questions are very very different and difficult.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at VMware in May 2017.

Interview

There are three rounds. First, HR, then manager, senior software engineer, software engineer. All the questions are average, they are pretty focused on your resume. Overall the experience is good, and would like to join it for the full-time position.

Associate Systems Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at VMware.

Interview

I went through a process that included six separate interviews, four interviews over the phone, a Webex presentation. The final interview included a face to face interview which lasted maybe 30 to 35 minutes at the VMware office. After a few weeks of going back and forth with the recruiter about a status. I was finally was told that I was not a good fit because I didn't have enough experience, even though this was marketed as an internship type position and I have two plus years of experience with various VMware technologies and VMware certifications.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your background and experience   1 Answer

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at VMware (Chicago, IL).

Interview

HR Screen, multiple interviews with team, presentation, addition interviews, being ignored, no feedback on next steps or of no longer in consideration, calls out of blue for more, more being provided no response, over and over, finally lost all interest as not the type of company where I would want to work.

Interview Questions

• Using this to warn anyone considering VMWare to stay far away.
      Horrible treatment of those going through process. I had multiple interviews yet zero information from HR or Hiring Manager. Constantly went dark only to reach back out and ask for more time. HR wouldn't respond to status and never did. If you value yourself don't apply here, they have zero respect for you or your time. Choosing to not hire someone is absolutely ok, not letting them
      know after two plus months of interviews is very unprofessional.   1 Answer