Enlightened Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Antwanye Ford

"Ecstatic About Opportunities Ahead"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Enlightened full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Forward Thinking, Risk Takers, Millennial Friendly, Great Location, Growing Company, Relaxed Environment, Personable Team, Social Media Friendly,

Cons

Growing company which makes it hard to schedule after hours activities every now and again

Advice to Management

More documented critiques on performance, leverage the collective network of employees to advance company goals, raffle a PTO day as incentive/competition and more one on one time with the CEO/CFO to gain advice

"A place you can make your own Destiney"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Enlightened full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are proactive, engaged and want to make your mark this is place to be. First company I have been able to make a difference.
    A diverse experience from both the people you work with on a daily basis as well as the various business opportunities you are exposed to.

Cons

Can be long hours, but that is what it takes in this challenging market.
    Have to be able to handle a dynamic environment and understand that sometimes change in direction dictated by the client.

Advice to Management

Continue to give your people the freedom to move the ball forward.

"Karma"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Enlightened full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is great Enlightened pays to be well recognized for it's accomplishments as a Top Regional Minority businesses featured in publications like The Washington Post, Inc . Magazine, Black Enterprise, Entrepreneur, and The Initiative for the Competitive Inner City. The CEO makes sure he is recognized as a proud partner aimed at the education of students promoting interest in science and technology; and ministers with his church. Additionally the company has been recognized by GovStar “Star Workplace 2016”. Enlightened enlists and pays for Business Ethics awards and recognition's.

Cons

Please be true to what you pay for.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees. Don't take it out on staff if they want to vacation or decide one night that they cannot work overtime.

"Great hands-on experience, President/CEO is a creep!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Enlightened full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I started as a temporary employee, and after a few months was offered full-time employment. The one thing I have to say, through all of the terrible experiences, is they noticed how hard I worked and gave me a chance to be part of their team. After I was hired full-time it all went down hill.

Cons

This list is hard because it brings back a lot of awful memories, but I'm writing it because I don't want another person to experience what I did. Both bosses - the company owners - were completely inappropriate. What do I mean by this? One time I was washing my dishes from lunch at the end of a very long day, which is normal and expected, and suddenly I heard a voice that said "Would your husband be mad if he knew you could feel me?" He came up from behind me, put his arms around my waist and saddled his private parts against mine. You might ask why I tolerated this? I didn't, but at the time I was very much dependent on that job and salary, and I was afraid to go to HR for fear that retaliation would be losing my job. There were other less obvious sexual harassment, such as very long hugs, shoulder rubs, winking at me and just plain flirting. Aside from this, you were routinely asked to handle so much work that you were often there past midnight on a daily basis. I became very familiar with the ins and outs of government contracting because I was forced to teach it to myself in order to keep up, but at what cost? To this day, it remains the worst professional experience of my life.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees, but keep your hands to yourself.

Enlightened Response

Mar 29, 2017 – Human Resource Generalist

This posting is untrue and unfounded. Enlightened has been well recognized for it's accomplishments as a Top Regional Minority businesses featured in publications like The Washington Post, Inc ... More

"Potential to be good"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Enlightened full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Family-ish atmosphere, fun, good diverse people, teamwork

Cons

Pay, benefits, location, lacks senior mgmt/experience, long hours, lacks reward/development program

7. "IT Security Analyst"

Current Employee - IT Security Analyst NJ in Rahway, NJ
    Current Employee - IT Security Analyst NJ in Rahway, NJ

Pros

Agile environment and learn employees have a lot to learn

Cons

Management is actively actively involved in every phase of Analysis

8. "Senior Technical Recruiter"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Recruiter in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Recruiter in Washington, DC

I have been working at Enlightened full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great opportunity to learn, career advancement, family oriented, high interaction with executive management

Cons

Must wear many hats, long hours, must be available on evenings and or weekends if needed to work

Advice to Management

Delegate responsibilities

"Systems Analyst"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

Longer term contract enabled development of a broader skill set and ability to move up to position with additional responsibilities and commiserate pay increase. Job responsibilities were in line with contract description. Office environment could best be described as low key but very focused. Good support from Administrative staff for team in field.

Cons

Few if any. Generally what one expects as a contractor.

Advice to Management

Try to make contractors feel more like a member of the Enlightened employee team.

"Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Security Analyst in Hagerstown, MD
    Current Employee - Security Analyst in Hagerstown, MD

Pros

Great benefits and competitive pay

Cons

Lacks a little with employee development

Advice to Management

Recognize and retain great talent.

"Think three times!"

Former Employee - Lead Technical Recruiter in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Lead Technical Recruiter in Rockville, MD

I worked at Enlightened (Less than a year)

Pros

The in-house pastoral counseling is fantastic because you are going to need it. Location is great.

Cons

This is not a great working environment - you will work your required hours and are expected to stay even later and work on Saturday and Sundays. They'll come in when they are ready and kick the breeze with each other and not compensate you for the extra time. If you are a consultant you make your hours (come in at 2:00pm and work til mid-night and cry about nobody is there to help you) and are paid for every bit of your time - even if you put on official records that you worked 400 hours in a month and put alcoholic beverages with government employees on your expense reports, but not regular employees - no extra compensation. The pay periods are antiquated - you are only paid for 80 hours even though the pay period consists of 92 or more. The health benefits cost an arm-and-a-leg on a monthly basis. The don't have any clear insight into federal/state and local laws and regulations as it relates to employment, benefits and human resources. They drag their feet in correcting money errors with the employees - even $50. There is a constant turnover in employees - the "layoff" pretense - on a regular basis. There are only a few employees with more than a year tenure and they are not minorities. The owners only want ego stroking instead of the real deal. And if you disagree with them - you'll be invited out into the streets of DC to fight - that's the mentality - but don't worry - it will only be the minorities that are invited out for fist-to-cuffs. There only involved in community efforts especially the District of Columbia efforts for contract favor - the SYEP involved ensuring non-disadvantage black male youth were strategically placed with them - sat in the back of the office with no clear direction and work activities, then dragged out to the political events - the white intern was able to go to business events.

Enlightened Response

Jun 2, 2016 – Human Resource Generalist

Think Three Times, thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the location of our Enlightened Headquarters. Enlightened employees ... More