Enlightened Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.3
Antwanye Ford

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "There is no other place I'd rather be than Enlightened and we all...."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Enlightened full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

During my tenure at Enlightened, I have learned immensely by examples of leadership from provided by the executive management team, talented employees the company recruits and various procedures in place that raise your level of performance and overall product quality. Enlightened is truly an environment that breeds greatness.

I'm compelled to write a review after reading a plethora of Glassdoor responses posted about Enlightened and that resemble similar reviews I’ve read from other successful companies. What I've seen is a pattern. The pattern errs to the "Yelp" model. People only take the time (are motivated) to post a comment if they don't like how things have panned out for them albeit their own doing or etc. Most people are who are genuinely satisfied with an experience or circumstance rarely take time to compose a message
    The wonderful things this company has done for people is often never spoken about. Words are never mentioned sometimes due to the level of entitlement or simply taking acts of kindness for granted. I've seen this company rescue MULTIPLE companies from closing shop by carrying costs, providing financial support and leveraging corporate resources. I've seen the executives of this company donate thousands of dollars to youth/organizations over the years in the form of scholarships and gifts.

The leadership at Enlightened has a HUGE heart for people and humanity which many people cannot echo about their own company/leadership or even themselves. This compassion showed is OFTEN taken advantage of and for granted. In times where fellow employees were going through hardships such as sickness, loss of a relative, , divorce, arrests, eviction, depression, exhaustion and the harsh experiences life provides; senior leadership did not pass it off to HR or to a manager, they stepped to help, give paid time off or even show up to be present. That is true leadership. Please take this into context; executives who are responsible for the success of a multi-million-dollar organization still find it important to tend to the personal matters of individual employees. This is something that I have never seen in my decades as a professional across multiple industries. But these things never go recognized because of the nature of the generosity or privacy of the matter.
    I've read many comments on here that err to the side of spoiled children, entitled grownups and short sided employees who cannot digest the vision, perspective and nuances of growing a small minority owned business in the nation's capital. The many strategic moves, partnerships and misunderstood internal decisions that transpire from day to day would leave some people to feeling disenfranchised, out of the loop or sometimes confused but having run a business, I understand this is the nature of being an owner. All decisions will not be understood by everyone, even those in the company.

As minority owners, respectfully, they have navigated well in an industry where their counterparts have unspoken advantages that provides head starts, baseline favors and an automatic seat at the table. With that said, many decisions made by executives are in response to raising the bar of performance, quality and output in an industry that has many antagonists including, disgruntled employees, elected officials, competing companies and people with bad intentions.

Heavy is the head that wears the crown is the best statement that sums up the CEO and CFO. The value of their leadership is not loss on many of its employees around the country and outside of this country. Running a company is not like running a "project" or a "contract". It's a much more sophisticated, complex and a dynamic experience that will confuse those on the outside looking in. Running a project and being responsible for a team CAN NEVER parallel the responsibility/pressure of growing a business, being responsible for the livelihood of people and making tough decisions on a daily (7 days a week).

Many comments I've read hearken to the adage of those who feel they can do a better job than those in power but never take the chance to see what it is like to start, grow and sustain a business. Let's be crystal clear, running someone else's company from the seat of "President" isn't the same as being the CEO or CFO or having true ownership in the company. A project manager, a President and a manager at headquarters in no way shape or from mirrors, parallels or is remotely like running an entire company.

That is the main issue that prevails within these comments. There are people who romanticize the experience of the CEO/CFO without truly knowing what it takes to be one. The sacrifices, the long nights, the growing pains, the impact to personal relationships and tribulations that come with it all while trying to be everything to everyone in the company is a feat most people can’t comprehend.

So if you're reading this message, know that the CEO/CFO are great upstanding men who had a dream, invested in that dream and are daily involving others in that dream by providing great jobs, great experiences and life changing moments. We work hard here by function of how hard our leadership works. We grow here because our leadership pushes us outside of our comfort zone. We learn immensely here because we are competing with the large firms who have been in existence for decades and the only way to win is to know more and perform at a higher standard than our competitors.

There is no other place I'd rather be than Enlightened and we all (in every state where a contract is name to Enlightened) are grateful for the experience to provide for our families, be a part of a great dream and work for a company with great values/ethics.

Cons

The only con is that there aren't more companies who genuinely demand greatness from their employees. This makes it hard when every employer before takes BS excuses, sub par performance and charges mistakes to being human. When people come to Enlightened, they are shocked that greatness can be achieved by being meticulous, process oriented and err on the side of assuming your'e wrong so that you can challenge your own quality, thus increasing the quality of your product/brand.

This is the root of why some people have issue with Enlightened. The bar is much higher.

Advice to Management

Continue to evolve into the company you dreamed of when you first started and continually apply lessons learned in every corner of the company.

"Interesting place"

Pros

The staff members are motivated and I got an opportunity to meet a lot of smart, hard-working people. However, it takes a long time to get a response regarding simple questions from the corporate office. A couple weeks ago the HR Manager visited our site due to a mix up. She was knowledgeable and has been responsive to questions.

Cons

401K match requires employees to work until Dec 31st. Sick leave does not carry over.

"Not a good place"

Former Employee - Finance in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Finance in Washington, DC

I worked at Enlightened full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The staff was hard-working and tried to do their best no matter what.

Cons

I was there only a short while but the CEO, Mr Antwanye Ford is not a good man. He threatened and threatened and threatened his staff and I'm not sure why. He seemed to want them to fear him and was a bully in meetings. He seems a man who is very insecure about himself. I have seen many CEO's and he has no CEO graces.

Advice to Management

Treat your staff better. They are good people.

"Tell me how you can't"

I worked at Enlightened full-time

Pros

Prime lunch location. Employees outside of senior/ executive level genuine and collaborative.

Cons

Phony, unstable environment with unstable leadership to match fueled by sexist, misogynistic male egos and ancient, outdated office culture expectations.

Advice to Management

Apply the same energy used to maintain façade of "great company culture" to actually creating one. CEO? CE-NO. Unless the C stands for corny.

"Do not sell your soul...."

I worked at Enlightened full-time

Pros

You can leave and get your soul back. I left that place for a better job, better pay, better everything under the sun. My first day there, an employee told me to keep looking for a job...It took me a week and several YouTube videos to see this place was a joke. I was lied to before i started and worked in several offices. I spent the better part of my day looking for another job. If you have the displeasure of working for one lady with bad weave...watch your back...she will dime you out in a second.

Cons

I drunk the Kool Aid.

Advice to Management

why offer something, to someone who will not listen?

"Worst place ever"

I worked at Enlightened full-time

Pros

Zero. Zip. Nada. Run away as fast you can.

Cons

Too many to list here. Don't believe the positive review they are fake. The CEO is a egotistical maniac and everyone is miserable.

Advice to Management

Shut down the company so you stop ruining people's lives.

"Don’t let them fool you, runaway"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Enlightened full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best part of Enlightened was the staff that I had met. I am glad I had the opportunity to meet an eclectic talented team!

Cons

CEO and his Partner need to communicate well and treat staff with respect or equality. Strategy was divide and conquer, or just no follow-through. Offer incentive for pay raises and bonuses since the company does not promote work-life balance or offer any other benefits than verbally “staff are lucky to have a job with their company”. CEO needs to humble himself, as he is not God as he had claimed to be.

Advice to Management

CEO please look into yourself. It is better to be a good person from within. Everyone knows your game so quit it, help yourself. It’s really sad.

8. "Great Place to Work!"

I have been working at Enlightened full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management has a great way of thinking ahead. They strive to improve the skills of their staff and care significantly about their employees. Mr. Ford is a great, honest man!

Cons

Company is growing which is actually a positive! Growth means change, humans are resistant to change.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

"Lacking in Communication and Proactivity"

Former Employee - Implementation Consultant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Implementation Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at Enlightened full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work, pay and benefits were great. I enjoyed working with my colleagues and felt like I could see my immediate impact on the DC community.

Management seemed to have maintained positive attitudes even during times of difficulty, debate, or accusations

Cons

I can't say I have had any negative experiences to the degree of some of the other reviews, but there were a series of smaller issues revolving around communication which made working with this company unnecessarily difficult.

It began from day one, with me not getting the appropriate on-boarding information I was told that I would receive. Other employees did or did not get this information as well, and some even received different information. There needs to be some standardization and better communication about this as many of us were confused as to why some employees were treated differently than others. These issues did not stop even when I left the company. Because Enlightened dropped the ball on multiple occasions when reaching out for my exit interview even after I had reached out to them, it looked like they simply gave up and simply emailed any additional off-boarding information in case I needed it. Again, communication issues.

Not being paid on time, going back on promised benefits, and being treated as if we shouldn't complain because they were the ones that are giving us a job are just a few of the problems I had experienced with Enlightened. The last one was the worst one in my opinion. Logistical issues are not a personal thing, but this attitude of entitlement for "allowing" us to work for them was completely unprofessional and is a turn off for anyone working for a company.

When an issue came up, it often seemed like it was only our job to be on the lookout for them. Of course, some workplace concerns must be brought up this way since it is impossible for management to know everything that is going on in the office; I am not saying this applied to every situation. But in times when it did, there could have been a much better way of communicating this information so employees would not be left scratching their heads regarding something that isn't in their scope of responsibility. There were no proactive measures taken to give prior notice of any inconveniences, online maintenance or business updates. These kinds of things aren't surprises, and so it would be great if employees got some kind of notification or warning about these things.

I can't say our annual meetings accomplished much either, even the one ironically centered around Communication - they felt more like a mix of a pep rally and a summer camp congregation full of inspirational YouTube videos and elementary group exercises/icebreakers.

Looking at most of these things on their own, they can be easily fixed. However the frequency and stacking of these problems reveal the larger concern of poor communication and irresponsibility from upper management and HR.

Advice to Management

Be proactive, communicate with your employees with some sort of standard so everyone stays on the same page. Having last minute damage control meetings are not as effective in making your employees happy and they reduce our productivity in the office. As I mentioned before, these issues aren't impossible problems that need a genius or a whole team of minds to solve - it just takes some commitment and awareness of the people who work for you. See how any change from the top can trickle down to the most entry level employee or intern, and then be vocal about it!

This company has great potential and I feel that addressing some of the more personal issues will really help them be the company they are striving to become.

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

Pros

The function of education is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically. Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education.

Cons

There really can be no peace without justice. There can be no justice without truth. And there can be no truth, unless someone rises up to tell you the truth...they should regard me as what I am. I am a spiritual leader and teacher.

Advice to Management

If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.