Epicor Software Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Epicor Software President and CEO Joseph L. Cowan
Joseph L. Cowan

Pros
Cons
  • Feel like workers aren't appreciated much by Upper Management (no Christmas party, no socialization events, no bonuses like savings or sales) (in 21 reviews)

• needed to take care of work life balance (in 9 reviews)

1. "Epicor MPLS"

Current Employee - Senior Business Development Representative in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Epicor Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Environment is great. Coworkers and management are easy to approach.

Cons

Commision structure could be improved.

"Very Few US Jobs"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Dublin, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Dublin, CA

I worked at Epicor Software full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I worked for Epicor for 25 years as a software developer. I loved my job because of the wonderful people and interesting work. I was working in a department which created products to help privately owned hardware stores stay profitable in a changing retail environment.

Cons

The company is now run by its fourth private equity firm. Each private equity firm has overseen mergers, name changes, acquisitions, layoffs, and the farming out of business functions to other companies in order to turn a profit on its buyout. Under the third private equity firm, upper management began moving engineering and customer support personnel jobs to Mexico and India. The only US jobs filled were very high salary upper management positions of which there seemed to be too many. This spoke to me of cronyism in upper management. The layoffs of US based engineering and support personnel have made supporting the many US Epicor clients difficult. To me this does not speak well for the continuing health of the US products I had supported.

Advice to Management

Look at the true costs of moving engineering and customer support for US products to other countries.

"Poor Executive Leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, CA

I worked at Epicor Software full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You work at Epicor because your co-workers are there to make a difference for the customers. The products are mostly top notch, but not bleeding edge from a technology standpoint. The customers are salt-of-the-earth mostly mom and pop business owners. Most jobs are work from home.

Cons

Executive Leadership is destroying what many employees have worked a life-time to build. Constant cost cutting leads to offshoring and no reimbursement for costs to do your job. Do more with less, all day every day. They keep selling the company to Private Equity funds. To get the ROI, they have to slash and burn. Rinse and repeat. Key employees and executives are leaving at a shocking pace. Large customers and partners are reevaluating their relationships.

Advice to Management

Enough with the offshoring to India. Recognize that it can only be of limited success. You can't build the quality of cloud products Epicor customers expect with this resource. Pay for your employees expenses, that is your responsibility.

5. "Great place to begin your career in sales."

Current Employee - Senior Business Development Representative in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at Epicor Software (More than a year)

Pros

Base-Pay, Commission Structure, Co-Workers are great, Products have deep/detailed industry focused functionality which is a great selling point ion the phone.

Cons

Serious growth headaches/hiccups, micro-managed, and moving to call-center/metric based philosophy. You are paid when leads go pipeline, but no one knows what constitutes pipeline - in theory, 1/3 of your comp structure lies in someone else's good graces.

Advice to Management

Leave the individuals doing well alone, and focus your efforts on those who are struggling. Less of the "1-Epicor" attitude. I don't feel that that we all need to be micro-managed, just the lazy few.

6. "Technical support analyst"

Current Employee - Technical Support Analyst in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Technical Support Analyst in Austin, TX

I have been working at Epicor Software (More than a year)

Pros

A best place where i felt to work with

Cons

needed to take care of work life balance

7. "I really enjoy working @ Epicor Software"

Current Employee - Facillities II in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Facillities II in Austin, TX

I have been working at Epicor Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

We like family here . The support of the management is the best I've ever received in my 20 yrs. in the working field . Hands down great work environment!

Cons

Working through transition of people getting impacted was ruff. The people that were impacted were pretty salty but in the end got a pretty nice severance package .. so I couldn't understand why they were salty . Ive been laid off with a 200$ check and a pat on the back ...

Advice to Management

Keep finding talent that are all in . You guys and gals are doing great .

"Horrible place to work"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Irvine, CA

I worked at Epicor Software full-time

Pros

There were some nice people and they definitely don't micro manage

Cons

They offer ZERO training. I was stuck in a cubicle from Day 1 and told to talk to customers about our very technical products. We had probably a hundred different products at that time and I wasn't given so much as a manual to even learn about them! I had worked at many software companies prior to this and every single one of them offered training on their products! They didn't even connect me with anyone to so much as order business cards! I didn't have a mentor or even a local manager to go on calls with and learn that way. Because of the lack of training, I had a very difficult time doing my job. I wasn't able to help my customers in any way, leading to frustration on my end and I'm sure, theirs as well. They were also incredibly cheap. When I did have to travel, they would have to take flights that were 20 hours longer then necessary if that would save them $20 on airfare! This was probably the worst job and the worst company I've ever worked for!

"No loyalty"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Epicor Software full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits were very good. Started when it was a great growing company.

Cons

All effort is to off shore resources. US management team is very cliche, management with no success story is a key factor to succeed. Very typical venture capital ownership management.

Advice to Management

Continue present management and you will be selling used car parts. Improve product quality, stop offshoring work.

"Nice benefits, but no loyalty to employees."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Dublin, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Dublin, CA

I worked at Epicor Software full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Nice benefits and pay. Direct managers were fair and accommodating with schedules when possible.

Cons

Poor communication from management. Not much opportunity for advancement. Occasional outsourcing to foreign workers.

Advice to Management

I would recommend retaining skilled English speaking workers rather than outsourcing to low trained foreign workers with heavy accents.

"It depends what you're looking for. You better be OK managing your career, because the company sure isn't going to."

Current Employee - Sales Director, Epicor ERP in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Sales Director, Epicor ERP in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

There are a small number of OUTSTANDING people at the Director and VP level... and some dedicated entry level people( ... but I'm pretty disappointed in the Executive Leadership these days. Too many 'professional managers' who know little about our business..) It's not a particularly structured work environment, allowing you the opportunity to very much define your own job. Sales is pretty well run - at least on the ERP side where I am. If you're a professional sales rep, you'll probably find this is an OK place to hang your hat for a few years if you're in the Americas. Probably less so if you're international - that's a total mess in a dress.

Cons

Look, we never talk about it in polite company, but let's be honest. The company isn't really long for the world. We can tell a good game to most of our employees and some of our prospects but in all honestly most people in the know (director and above) know that the company is bailing water to stay afloat. Professional Services is a catastrophe in need of a leadership purge above the ranks of Sr. Manager, and we just lost the only people who knew anything about Cloud... and the new Product Managers don't hold a candle to the old product leadership.

Advice to Management

Turn down the spin - youre not fooling anyone whith the old 'We're moving jobs to India - not because we're trying to cut costs - but because that's where the growth of the business in.' Seriously - everyone knows that we don't sell Epicor in India. It just makes you look ill informed as well as insincere. And for the LOVE OF GOD - stop worrying about the bottom line... the top line is shrinking faster - perpetually raising prices 5% does NOT constitute a strategy. I never thought I'd say it, but can you bring back Apax Partners?