Fast-Teks Reviews | Glassdoor

2.4
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Fast-teks"

Former Employee - Desktop Support/Installation Computer Technician in Drexel Hill, PA

I worked at Fast-Teks part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A franchise, so owners tend to be more hands on/accessible. Both residential and business clients seem to be pretty easy to please (at least where I was located). Hourly rate was good.

Cons

Workload (and thus pay) varied wildly as does the locations of the calls. Call center not local, so not familiar with travel distances/times between calls--sometimes resulted in calls being scheduled too close together.

Advice to Management

Local owner/management was fine, the central call center is what needed work

2. "Owner"

Former Employee - Area Director At Fast Teks in Cocoa, FL
    Former Employee - Area Director At Fast Teks in Cocoa, FL

I worked at Fast-Teks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

None......No real support.. They basically stole $40,000 from me. I do better on my own with my own new store at 1367 cypress avenue in Melbourne. I offer $25 off service if you mentioned this review. . The owners of the franchise are usually people that don't know a thing about technology services.

Cons

The cons..hahaha... Nobody worth hiring works for them. The technicians all stole either money or ripped off customers.

3. "Not the franchise to buy."

Current Employee - Former Franchise Owner in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Former Franchise Owner in Boston, MA

I have been working at Fast-Teks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

None really. These folks are snake oil salesmen.

Cons

1. All about selling new franchises.
    2. Owner/president a slick talking tool bag.
    3. Mostly incompetent call center (when they had a call center).
    4. You pay for services they are unable or incapable of providing.
    5. Kowtowed to the larger franchises over the smaller ones.
    6. Were untruthful regarding "national marketing" programs.
    7. Many other items that make doing business with these people a huge mistake.
    8. You can do much better if you start and run your own business without these clowns.

Advice to Management

No advice as they never listened to the franchise owners anyway.

4. "Fast-Teks - Not a scam - But not truthful either"

Former Employee - Owner\Area Manager in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Owner\Area Manager in Nashville, TN

Pros

Reasonable cost of getting into the franchise industry

Cons

They make it sound so easy, but you still do all the work. They have an outdated business plan they want you to follow and if you deviate from that plan they do not support you. The corporation is "in" business to sell franchises.......period. They will support you to a degree, but they make it sound like you have no risk. When I bought in I asked about whether I could get out in it did not work out. They said they would buy back my franchise for a prorated cost. Well....this is not the case. I built up a territory that had no Fast-Teks at all to a territory with about 90 lifetime members and 50 or 60 other non-lifetime customers. They said it had no value so no buy back. They said they would put my territory up for sale, but it was going to cost me thousands more.

They also make it sound like you will have no problem hiring technicians. Just find some that want part-time work only and you will be fine. This was my biggest problem. I found techs....but they did not want part-time. I would have them a few months and they would leave after they found full-time work. I was constantly down techs and could never build clients fast enough. Also, after about 1 year corporate wont run your "Looking for Technicians Ads", thhat is reserved for only new franchises. So, something that was presented as a benefit of being a Fast-Teks Franchise owner is not put on you. This was not the only thing you will be told is something they will handle for you that you will end up paying for.

One department with Fast-Teks corporate I had no trouble with was the Advertising department. They had some good ads and brochures that you don't have to make. You will pay for the printing...but at least you don't have to design.

Advice to Management

If you want to open a computer tech business just do it yourself with third party companies Like...vonage for business lines and companies that can handle your tech appointments 24-7 if you can't. Advertising will be all on you, but it gives you better control Myself and another Owner in a adjacent territory tried very hard to work together and overcome the limits and expenses that Fast-Teks puts on its owners and we could no longer do it, so we got out. Fast-teks corporate got their money for franchise and that is what it is about for them. Owners are second. Can you make a Fast-Teks Franchise work....Yes. Will it cost more and be more work than they say it will.....YES. Can you do it working a regular job also.......Very Difficult.

5. "Good part time job"

Former Contractor - Computer Technician in Orlando, FL
    Former Contractor - Computer Technician in Orlando, FL

I worked at Fast-Teks as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Standard onsite computer support for small businesses and end users. This is franchised company so it's the owner you have to report to.

Cons

Lots of driving but not compensated for time traveled or spent between jobs. Jobs availability is random and you will have to be on standby during the time you specify. There will be time when you have no job to go for the entire day.

Advice to Management

Not to be pushy on upsale or unnecessary job pushing on to the customers.

6. "Great people. In the midst of restructuring."

Former Employee - Support Representative in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Support Representative in Tampa, FL

I worked at Fast-Teks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you want to work with fun people who really care and have a strong work ethic, this is a great place to do it.

Cons

Pay was below average for the industry, and due to the restructuring, advancement opportunities are limited. Unfortunately, it's also a little difficult to delegate tasking when there aren't enough people on staff.

Advice to Management

Balancing flexibility and structure is difficult but well worth the effort.

"Not the greatest place, but not the worst either"

Current Employee - Franchise Support Specialist in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Franchise Support Specialist in Tampa, FL

Pros

We get off early on Friday. Really, that's about it.

Cons

Incompetent Upper Management.
    No recognition for outstanding service.
    Middle Management WILL take credit for your work, so document EVERYTHING you do.
    No real "training".

Advice to Management

Take advice from your consultants.
    Make yourselves unavailable to your lower level franchisees. They really shouldn't have an in with the CEO of the company until such time as lawsuits are mentioned. Let your lower/middle management take care of things.

8. "Flexible hours but no real room to grow and low pay"

Former Employee - Computer Technician in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Computer Technician in Washington, DC

Pros

The hours were flexible, the management are nice.

Cons

Low pay, no benefits, no real room to grow or learn

9. "Great for starting an IT career."

Former Employee - Field Tech in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Field Tech in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

Its a good work environment for learning. Management is very effective at keeping the team on the same page for efficiency.

Cons

The pay is below the national average for IT field techs. No real room for promotion or advancement. Too much travel at times.

Advice to Management

Hire people with more experience in IT as managers. Most of the management didn't have a clue when it came to technical issues.

"Terrible!"

Pros

The money's fair, but not great when you consider that you need to pay for your own gas, taxes, wear-and-tear, as well as equipment.

Cons

The managers are free to treat you however they wish as it is a franchise. The call center will have no idea of the geography of your region so you might get little to no time to travel to your next job. Very little job satisfaction. They will only pay for gas if you go more than 24.9/29.9 (if it's a "partner job") miles TO the location (in effect you can travel 49.8/59.8 miles without gas compensation). The manager had no remorse for firing me over my gripe about the gas travel, when I had photographic evidence that I traveled more than 29.9 miles. You will sometimes have to go back to redo a job for no extra compensation even if the job is in BFE compared to your location.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees (NOT independent contractors, stop calling us that, we may be that in legal terms, but face it, we are your employees plain and simple) with respect and kindness. Any other job in any other industry wouldn't have given a second thought to a measly $10 for 60 miles of travel.