FedEx SmartPost Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Barbara Wallander

Pros
  • Good benefits, great people to work with, good team atmosphere (in 12 reviews)

• Pay is good, you can earn 40 hours worth of work for less with the pay (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • benefits could be a hell of a lot better for the part time employees (in 5 reviews)

• Unless you're the favorite of some upper-management, don't expect to get promoted (in 5 reviews)

"FedEx Smartpost Reno Hub 5893"

Current Employee - Parcel Assistant in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Parcel Assistant in Reno, NV

I have been working at FedEx SmartPost part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Provides a great opportunity to learn how to follow instructions on how to perform well in groups to maximize safety and speed in warehousing tasks from scanning and loading packages to using forklifts and trucks while collecting good starting pay and basic benefits with opportunities to apply for a higher position within the company or create a foundation of work experience to use in other companies. A culture of safety first, followed closely by productivity is strong at the outbound hub in Reno.

Cons

When employees working in teams do not communicate about off work issues, it can create misunderstandings that can create petty behavior that can result in poor performance and conflicts that give management troubles in hubs and sorts that are short staffed.

Advice to Management

It is my belief that FedEx Smartpost should create an day every few weeks or months where employees can fill out anonymous surveys that not only rate managers, but themselves and their coworkers. This survey should give employees an opportunity to reveal reasons why off work issues can create employees that have a difficult time presenting their best effort to have a positive and productive attitude. Managers can also fill in surveys that line up for example how efficient a given Parcel Assistant is at scanning and loading packages, and who they work best with in terms of team chemistry and speed.

"Parcel Assistant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ellenwood, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ellenwood, GA

I have been working at FedEx SmartPost part-time

Pros

I worked night shift so:

It was pretty laid back
    Nice Team Members

Cons

Working night shift you ever know when the belt will stop.
    Some managers are lazy and ride around in the forklift or golf cart the whole shift.

3. "Package Handler"

Current Employee - Minister/Manager in College Park, GA
    Current Employee - Minister/Manager in College Park, GA

I have been working at FedEx SmartPost part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, great people to work with, good team atmosphere

Cons

Average to poor working conditions, pay does equate to the work that's required

Advice to Management

Teamwork reflects leadership.

4. "Fast paced"

Former Employee - Parcel Assistant in Clinton, PA
    Former Employee - Parcel Assistant in Clinton, PA

I worked at FedEx SmartPost part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

At times the short work day. Was able to try different areas of the building during work shifts.

Cons

Short shifts (hours worked) limited bathroom breaks. Can only have a clear water bottle. Loud at times.

5. "Recruiter"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Independence, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Independence, MO

I have been working at FedEx SmartPost (Less than a year)

Pros

Very fun and rewarding experience

Cons

there were no cons I have experienced

Advice to Management

none

6. "good place to work"

Former Employee - Palletizer Operator in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Palletizer Operator in Sacramento, CA

I worked at FedEx SmartPost (Less than a year)

Pros

you get paid weekly that's good

Cons

To hot in the wearhouse

7. "Shady"

Former Employee - Package Handler in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Package Handler in Reno, NV

I worked at FedEx SmartPost (More than a year)

Pros

It's honest work, easy to get, and great for just out of school kids or college students.
    Pays well for an entry level job.
    It's easy to master.

Cons

I was lied to about my hours and when I would receive my benefits. As a fulltime employee, I averaged about 28 hours per week. For a month after I moved to full-time I was assured by all of my managers and HR that I would receive my benefits immediately. Afterwards, I found out that I would not receive them until after 3 months, due to a merger we had. The only problem was that merger happened about 4 months before they started hiring for full time. The manager retaliated against many of the package handlers for a variety of petty reasons; EX: He yelled at a co-worker for loading improperly (not a repeat offender mind you), threatened another for asking for corporates number, and even harassed me for almost an entire work week for addressing an issue with another manager on another shift. Favoritism was also a common place thing. All of this behavior just seemed to be brushed under the rug.

Turnover is high.

Advice to Management

Just be managers. Don't allow your position to influence negative behaviors towards your co-workers and don't use it to pamper your friends either. We are all trying to just make a living.

8. "Shipping clerk"

Current Employee - Maintenance Tech in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Maintenance Tech in Detroit, MI

I have been working at FedEx SmartPost part-time

Pros

Easy pace job that create workforce and money.

Cons

No union or type of position I would retire from.

Advice to Management

It was fun to work with mial.

"Parcel Assistant"

Current Employee - Package Handler/Parcel Assistant in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Package Handler/Parcel Assistant in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at FedEx SmartPost (Less than a year)

Pros

met some humble people at the job, get along with most of the employees, learn a lot from the job, Peak Season money

Cons

never guarantee part-time hours, extremely hard work, hazardous environment, work 1000 hrs to receive benefits, laziness from other employees, hard-working employees constantly picked on by management to finish other employee''s mess (I mean Work),

10. "Great Benefits"

Current Employee - Package Handler in Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Package Handler in Aurora, CO

I have been working at FedEx SmartPost part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Overall a great place to work. Sometimes the people that you have to work with will make your days either more difficult or smooth, just like any other job. They give a raise every 3 months for the first year of about $0.20. Also also, as soon as you start, each week that you work you accrue 1 hour of PTO and are able to use it after your first three months of working. The hours are really stable at my hub. we always start either at 7 or 7:30 if you work the nigh shift. But as peak season approaches it switches up to about an hour earlier. Be prepared to work around 40 hours a week during the holiday (peak) season. The pay is really good as well, especially compared to a lot of other minimum wage jobs out there. My hub pays $11.22 at the start. It's May now, and I've been working since October, I make $11.74
    My hub always tell us about promotions available.
    They really care about your safety.

Cons

If you're the type of person that gets overwhelmed or frustrated easily this job might be challenging for you as there are lots of packages that have to be processed, stacked neatly onto pallets, or loaded efficiently and neatly onto trucks. Sometimes the belts keep pushing boxes into your area no matter how much you already have. The work area can get messy, but you have to push through and get it done. Everyone has to go through it.

Advice to Management

Managers should make sure that leads are always helping people in need. Sometimes we'll have leads that just walk around acting like their doing stuff when there are lines full of boxes that need to be palatalized.