Fender Musical Instruments Reviews

Updated Jan 17, 2020

2.9
Fender Musical Instruments CEO Andy Mooney
Andy Mooney
Pros
  • "Everyone was very passionate about music (people have guitars at their desks and play in their free time)(in 20 reviews)

• "Great money, great people and great atmosphere(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management is a total "look at me" mentality(in 8 reviews)

• "It’s no secret that the guitar market isn’t especially healthy(in 7 reviews)

"Great company"

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Fender Musical Instruments full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great company and industry, fun atmosphere

Cons

Pay can be on the lower scale

Fender Musical Instruments2020-01-08
  2. "Young, amazing coworkers! Great place to learn about marketing!"

Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Fender Musical Instruments full-time

Pros

Values young people with limited experience, including interns Fast and straightforward hiring process They have made strides to hire younger candidates and reorganized in favor of a younger, more dynamic and tech savvy workforce Tons of opportunity to grow into managerial positions even for less experienced candidates There are employee sales with amazing discounts, no shredding needed! This is great for Holiday gifting!! They are very intentional about promoting women, really a forward leaning hiring and promotion culture that values the input of their female workforce There is a 20% yearly bonus for Marketing employees

Cons

A bit too much socialization after hours (there is the 'usual' crowd there, but this is changing) The older side of the company is very "traditionally male", and though it doesn't affect the day to day work it can be annoying They do prefer hourly to salaried, it is hard to get a salaried offer, negotiate, negotiate, negotiate! If you are on the engineering team (not management) the bonus is less likely to happen, negotiate it beforehand, again, negotiate, negotiate, negotiate!

Fender Musical Instruments2019-10-06

"Coworkers made the job tolerable"

4.0
    Former Employee - Consumer Relations Representative in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Fender Musical Instruments full-time for more than a year

Pros

Jeans and t-shirts OK, fairly relaxed ethos from management (in this department, anyway), awesome coworkers

Cons

No company matching for retirement plan, uncertainty with CEO and direction of the company, salary and benefits were only OK

Fender Musical Instruments2019-09-17

"Not Recommended"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Corona, CA

I have been working at Fender Musical Instruments full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Under the correct management this place could be awesome

Cons

Anymore as the years go on and the management they hire this place will suck the passion and drive you have for what you love to do right out of you. This place will make you not care anymore and make you not want to come to work.

Fender Musical Instruments2019-09-16

"Tossed out like trash"

Former Employee - Director of Planning in Hollywood, CA

I worked at Fender Musical Instruments full-time for less than a year

Pros

Product mgrs, team members

Cons

Upper management. One or two gems and some snakes who decide to back stab. I was walked out the door without explanation after busting my butt for months. You’d expect open honest communication about fit or performance, but Fender chooses the low road. They went the extra mile to prevent me collecting unemployment and hired a firm to fight me. No one seems to know why ( I actually had side conversations with HR and old manager after she left) but someone had to have decided that. Unbelievable! You can assume well, the person writing this is mad but actually I am painting a picture that prospective employees have to paint in their mind before they enter. Working for a company is a contract right? u bust your butt, they pay you, you hope to create some sense of stability and happiness or fulfillment and for some reason the other side (management) plays by a different set of rules. Showed up earlier and left later than anyone in Hollywood. Flew to Scottsdale 2x a month because they wouldn’t let me hire a team near me. Odd isn’t it? Quite a bit of analysis paralysis with the constant web mtgs and not enough action on understanding how not to run out of product, key items, and transition out of old and into new products.

Fender Musical Instruments2019-09-07

"STAY AWAY - Worst management possible"

Former Employee - Support in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Fender Musical Instruments full-time for more than a year

Pros

Discounted guitars - occasionally. Sometimes nice events.

Cons

The management is awful. If you have any kind of disability you will be treated poorly. You will have to fight for every day off that you need. And if you take FMLA your coworkers will talk poorly of you and your managers will be angry with you. People are randomly let go - all the time. They really use their 'right to work state' status there. Also the industry is declining. This is not a company to join for a long career. The turnover rate for every department is incredibly high.

Fender Musical Instruments2019-09-03

"Not for rock star engineers"

Former Employee - Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Fender Musical Instruments full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great music culture. Discounted guitars.

Cons

Great for rock stars. Not for rock star engineers. Management sees software development as a liability not asset. Tight, noisy cubicles. Bad coffee. Lots of churn. Managed like a furniture company. ECommerce platform is a joke.

Fender Musical Instruments2019-08-24

"Recruiter"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Fender Musical Instruments full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fantastic culture! As a new employee, I have had nothing but positive interactions with employees at every level. They have an incredible new hire orientation and make sure you feel welcome from the minute you walk in the door.

Cons

None that I can think of !

Fender Musical Instruments2019-06-27

"Complete Incompetence"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Corona, CA

I have been working at Fender Musical Instruments full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Dedicated Employees, Guitars, and Financial Viability

Cons

Management is incapable of managing Fender to the level the Fender brand deserves.

Fender Musical Instruments2019-07-22

"Lacking in Basic Management Competency, Honesty & Integrity"

Former Employee - Finance Manager in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Fender Musical Instruments full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Casual work environment. Can pay well. If you land the right department/boss, you do have some opportunities. Some room to drive process change, improvement and efficiency, just don't expect it to be recognized as management is not long term minded. Fun culture if you truly like the music industry or you're obsessed with the brand beyond reason.

Cons

Sorely lacking in basic competency, honesty and integrity. Have witnessed numerous respectable, hard working people from execs down to employees really unethically & unfairly treated. Check the glassdoor history to see that the reputation around town is long-standing and valid. A lack of basic discipline or any knowledge of what quality & efficient processes & work should look like. Tolerance for laziness & tardiness abounds & continues because of favoritism & simply tenure - so blindingly visible to everyone from the exec level down, if you choose not to ignore it like many do, because it's Fender. If it was any other company and the halo effect was not present, the rating would be significantly lower. As examples: Would you want to work somewhere where you're straight up told your boss' boss (the CFO) expects 12 hour days, 6 days a week? Where you're given an honest, decent hard working employee (your first) who works harder & more committed than 95% of other people, but told to "work him out of the organization/generate documentation" (by adding to his workload amongst other tactics) because he's "not promotable" and the execs is afraid to fire him because of liability reasons? Where you're again told to "work someone out of the organization" because your boss told you "I don't like her"? Where your boss emails you, regularly, between 12am and 6am, on a Saturday night, never-mind the rest of the week's dark mornings too, multiple times a week? Where clear and visible incompetence is promoted because of pre-existing loyalties from other companies? Where HR sits around with executives in meetings (I was in them) and expects a bell curve on employee ratings, forcing people into bottom ratings end because "it's not a bell curve yet"? Where key roles are open for years because they can't attract properly qualified people? Where no contingency planning or preparation is done in case someone leaves, and the running expectation is simply to do 2 jobs because the team is near-constantly missing someone? Where funny stories of folks who saw what went on and left in short order abound? Clearly, I can go on.

Fender Musical Instruments2019-06-12