Fender Musical Instruments Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Fender Musical Instruments CEO Andy Mooney
Andy Mooney

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great money, great people and great atmosphere" (in 13 reviews)

• "Everyone had a great work-life balance, but still maintained strong work ethic throughout the office" (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long time employees are leaving at a record pace" (in 3 reviews)

• "lots of change in senior management" (in 4 reviews)

1. "Solid Team"

I have been working at Fender Musical Instruments full-time

Pros

The team I work on is great. Everyone is skilled, friendly, and professional. If you play guitar, the perks are amazing. Great work/life balance. This is possibly the best job of my 12 year career.

Cons

Hollywood is weird. Other departments seem turbulent. Sometimes there are questionable decisions made by leadership.

2. "Accounting Specialist"

I worked at Fender Musical Instruments full-time

Pros

Fun atmosphere, annual raises, great company culture.

Cons

Poor management, high turnover rate

Advice to Management

Listen to lower level employees, promote managers based on experience and skills not just length of time in company.

"Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Fender Musical Instruments full-time (More than a year)

Pros

World-leading brand and high-qualify products.

Cons

Industry is slow growing, though Fender continues to build share.

Advice to Management

Keep building new markets and younger consumers- especially female!

"Leadership Team"

Current Employee - Vice President in Hollywood, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President in Hollywood, CA

I have been working at Fender Musical Instruments full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

At market in base salary not in total rewards

Cons

Leadership team at the C level creates a toxic, non-inclusive , high attrition/turnover rate across all departments. Referrals from the Board should not dictate keeping people at the top who have leadership coaches and spend company money on toxic Execs.

Advice to Management

Look at the Leadership who has high turnover within their departments the last 2 years. This isn't an example of cleaning house , it is poof positive that there are major liabilities across the org starting at the C level

"Unhappy"

I have been working at Fender Musical Instruments full-time

Pros

Most co-workers are wonderful. Casual work environment. Hours are usually flexible.

Cons

HR Dept is a joke. Managers are skewed and differ greatly in their treatment of employees creating an unfair and unbalanced environment.

Advice to Management

Get a Fender idealogy for Mangement and train all mangers to adhere to same policy, treatment and restrictions of their direct reports.

6. "I love music, so i love this place."

Current Employee - Continuous Improvement Engineer in Corona, CA
    Current Employee - Continuous Improvement Engineer in Corona, CA

I have been working at Fender Musical Instruments full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People are great, culture is welcoming

Cons

Too many new people, seems to have had staffing issues

Advice to Management

Lets focus on lean and grow together

7. "Inspired by live music and musicians"

I have been working at Fender Musical Instruments full-time

Pros

The organization is filled with musicians, which is great. Creative minded people.

Cons

For a relatively small company, things can move very slowly at times.

"It really is a shame."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hollywood, CA

I worked at Fender Musical Instruments full-time

Pros

• There are a number of good and talented people working across Fender
    • It's an iconic brand with lots of untapped potential

Cons

None of this is new and echoes a number of the previous comments posted on this site:
    • Turnover is high. Morale is not. It’s hard to imagine its gone unnoticed so one would have to assume that the C-suite and HR are somehow fine with the level of dysfunction on open display.
    • I agree with a recent comment that there is definitely some targeted bullying from management that HR and other leadership is aware of, but choose to turn a blind eye to. And I think “bullying” is the right word for it. Of course people lose their jobs from time to time for legitimate concerns, but I saw management ostracize, scapegoat and drill people out of their jobs for “reasons”, which at times meant little more than having a difference of opinion or speaking up about something they were concerned about. And nearly as troubling, this shadowy process seemed to take the place of communication between management and their direct reports. Vanishing co-workers were so frequent you couldn’t help but feel that people had learned that if they wanted to keep their jobs they needed to keep their heads down and their mouths shut. Even some managers seemed to take this “no comment” approach rather than deal with difficult peers or confront senior management, which led to teams clamming up into silos, which led to lots of communication difficulties. The good will of the brand and enthusiasm that people brought into their jobs often curdled quickly. Some people excitedly moved to LA from other parts of the country for a job at Fender only to start looking for another job within weeks of arriving. Others were pointlessly bounced from manager to manager with little or no direction. It was oppressive and you could feel it.
    • It is cliquish. I found the subordinate members of these cliques to be super nice people even though I received warnings from multiple corners in my first weeks about the dangers of trusting others in the company.
    • There’s an unfortunate and unnecessary enmity between “New” Fender (digital and marketing primarily in Hollywood) and “Old” Fender (primarily in Scottsdale).
    • It’s no secret that the guitar market isn’t especially healthy. One would think that fostering and harnessing the enthusiasm and creative energy of the employees could lead to products or innovations that might help keep the lights on over time. Unfortunately that’s not the kind of environment I feel I witnessed.

Advice to Management

I’d echo a number of the earlier statements that suggest there is no advice one could give management or HR that they would likely act on. It’s frustrating and sad to see a lot of talented people and such a beloved brand with so much potential get stuck in all this pointless muck. What should be an enthusiastically creative environment is anything but.

An earlier comment mentioned that this is being driven by an overwhelming desire to please investors in the short term at the expense of everything else, which feels right, if not unique to Fender. On reflection my P.O.V. is that there simply seem to be insecurities in some of the key leadership that drive their management styles, and that tending to these insecurities has taken precedence over morale, or the collaborative effort to produce the best work possible, or even the livelihoods and wellbeing of their employees. I’ve had the pleasure of working with leaders who felt supremely confident about their abilities and positions and therefore didn’t feel the need to fret over dissenting opinions or bumps in the roadmap. My personal experience at Fender felt very much the opposite of that.

The environment comes from the top down. Until there are major changes with management there’s no reason to expect anything beyond the status quo. In the meantime talented people across the company are lost, potential is squandered, morale is suppressed, the brand’s ability to attract more talent is diminished, and its reputation is tarnished. It really is a shame.

"Awesome experience"

I have been working at Fender Musical Instruments full-time

Pros

Investment in Interns
    Tons of fun-having opportunities
    Meaningful work through tough projects

Cons

Felt bored sometimes due to lack of weekly tasks

"Sometimes, that shiny object is bait."

Former Employee - Marketing in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Marketing in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Fender Musical Instruments full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fender has a girth of history. It's a beacon on the hill of the MI industry. With that, it attracts some of the finest people you could work with. If you are a musician or a music lover, this is an attractive combination. If you are into building apps and working in the digital realm, this is now the place for you!

Cons

For many years there were things that set Fender apart from corporations in other industries. There was a sense that, everyone pretty much knew each other. Most of us were pulling in the same direction. There's a lot of change, like in any industry, and it's been much more challenging to hold on to those virtues that made us (now them) the best. Shifting markets, rising costs, management decisions, (moving to a much more expensive HQ). There is mostly downside to casting aside long-time employees, which has inarguably been happening at higher velocity of late. New people mistake guidance from the veterans as defensiveness. Although, I would rule out a healthy dose of that as well. There is a reason Fender was sitting at the top of this industry. A reason the products have been so good, and the dealers and customers have hung in there. There were/are people there that were bleeding Fender Red. With that, much (not all) of the new management brought in from "other industries" have been bleeding that Fender Red out of all of us (now them).

Advice to Management

This block seems useless. There is no advice that HR would push up to Managment. You could hide the golden ticket in here.