Fender Musical Instruments Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Fender Musical Instruments CEO Andy Mooney
Andy Mooney

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great money, great people and great atmosphere" (in 13 reviews)

• "Everyone had a great work-life balance, but still maintained strong work ethic throughout the office" (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long time employees are leaving at a record pace" (in 3 reviews)

• "lots of change in senior management" (in 4 reviews)

1. "Solid Team"

I have been working at Fender Musical Instruments full-time

Pros

The team I work on is great. Everyone is skilled, friendly, and professional. If you play guitar, the perks are amazing. Great work/life balance. This is possibly the best job of my 12 year career.

Cons

Hollywood is weird. Other departments seem turbulent. Sometimes there are questionable decisions made by leadership.

2. "Great company to work for"

I have been working at Fender Musical Instruments full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

nice people who are passionate about their work and a relaxed office environment. covered parking.

Cons

cramped work spaces can make it hard to concentrate, lots of phone conversations at once.

"My experience learning about the guitars and and about the artists tht either stop thru or send they guitar there"

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in San Bernardino, CA
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in San Bernardino, CA

I worked at Fender Musical Instruments full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The holiday parties and the vacation days we get

Cons

Leads dont have respect for certain people favoritism towards certain people

Advice to Management

Train your guys or girls on proper approaches on how to deal with

"Outrageous turnover, eggshell environment, inflated reporting at all-hands"

Former Employee - Marketing in Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Hollywood, CA

I worked at Fender Musical Instruments full-time

Pros

Creative energy, plenty of resources

Cons

Similar jobs are posted and reposted for each department on all job sites. Turnover is incredibly high. Expect a weekly meeting to explain all projects and histories of departments to a new person who was incorrectly told they are the first person being brought on to solve any standing issue and very incorrectly told that they'll be given an appropriate amount of access and power to solve it.

Every shiny object and short term gain is chased by leadership. Success is inflated. Failure is swept under the rug. And teams are left wondering why they lose a vital limb every month.

The culture is presented as collaborative and rock and roll, but this environment is more political than a New York agency. Coworkers utilize corridors and short private walks to discuss triangulation strategies to undermine managers or redirect projects.

Within the first weeks of working I was shown the best routes for these arrangements, informed of after work drinking expectations and told not to trust anyone.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the good people who keep their heads down and have delivered consistent work for a long time without attending events and playing the political game. They aren't the cogs but the keys to a new company culture and top down leadership. Every new employee struggles with the undefined rules of this toxic culture, but finds a valuable mentor in these quiet and reliable (and often overlooked team) members.

"Accounting Specialist"

I worked at Fender Musical Instruments full-time

Pros

Fun atmosphere, annual raises, great company culture.

Cons

Poor management, high turnover rate

Advice to Management

Listen to lower level employees, promote managers based on experience and skills not just length of time in company.

"Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Fender Musical Instruments full-time (More than a year)

Pros

World-leading brand and high-qualify products.

Cons

Industry is slow growing, though Fender continues to build share.

Advice to Management

Keep building new markets and younger consumers- especially female!

"Leadership Team"

Current Employee - Vice President in Hollywood, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President in Hollywood, CA

I have been working at Fender Musical Instruments full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

At market in base salary not in total rewards

Cons

Leadership team at the C level creates a toxic, non-inclusive , high attrition/turnover rate across all departments. Referrals from the Board should not dictate keeping people at the top who have leadership coaches and spend company money on toxic Execs.

Advice to Management

Look at the Leadership who has high turnover within their departments the last 2 years. This isn't an example of cleaning house , it is poof positive that there are major liabilities across the org starting at the C level

"Unhappy"

I have been working at Fender Musical Instruments full-time

Pros

Most co-workers are wonderful. Casual work environment. Hours are usually flexible.

Cons

HR Dept is a joke. Managers are skewed and differ greatly in their treatment of employees creating an unfair and unbalanced environment.

Advice to Management

Get a Fender idealogy for Mangement and train all mangers to adhere to same policy, treatment and restrictions of their direct reports.

"It really is a shame."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hollywood, CA

I worked at Fender Musical Instruments full-time

Pros

• There are a number of good and talented people working across Fender
    • It's an iconic brand with lots of untapped potential

Cons

None of this is new and echoes a number of the previous comments posted on this site:
    • Turnover is high. Morale is not. It’s hard to imagine its gone unnoticed so one would have to assume that the C-suite and HR are somehow fine with the level of dysfunction on open display.
    • I agree with a recent comment that there is definitely some targeted bullying from management that HR and other leadership is aware of, but choose to turn a blind eye to. And I think “bullying” is the right word for it. Of course people lose their jobs from time to time for legitimate concerns, but I saw management ostracize, scapegoat and drill people out of their jobs for “reasons”, which at times meant little more than having a difference of opinion or speaking up about something they were concerned about. And nearly as troubling, this shadowy process seemed to take the place of communication between management and their direct reports. Vanishing co-workers were so frequent you couldn’t help but feel that people had learned that if they wanted to keep their jobs they needed to keep their heads down and their mouths shut. Even some managers seemed to take this “no comment” approach rather than deal with difficult peers or confront senior management, which led to teams clamming up into silos, which led to lots of communication difficulties. The good will of the brand and enthusiasm that people brought into their jobs often curdled quickly. Some people excitedly moved to LA from other parts of the country for a job at Fender only to start looking for another job within weeks of arriving. Others were pointlessly bounced from manager to manager with little or no direction. It was oppressive and you could feel it.
    • It is cliquish. I found the subordinate members of these cliques to be super nice people even though I received warnings from multiple corners in my first weeks about the dangers of trusting others in the company.
    • There’s an unfortunate and unnecessary enmity between “New” Fender (digital and marketing primarily in Hollywood) and “Old” Fender (primarily in Scottsdale).
    • It’s no secret that the guitar market isn’t especially healthy. One would think that fostering and harnessing the enthusiasm and creative energy of the employees could lead to products or innovations that might help keep the lights on over time. Unfortunately that’s not the kind of environment I feel I witnessed.

Advice to Management

I’d echo a number of the earlier statements that suggest there is no advice one could give management or HR that they would likely act on. It’s frustrating and sad to see a lot of talented people and such a beloved brand with so much potential get stuck in all this pointless muck. What should be an enthusiastically creative environment is anything but.

An earlier comment mentioned that this is being driven by an overwhelming desire to please investors in the short term at the expense of everything else, which feels right, if not unique to Fender. On reflection my P.O.V. is that there simply seem to be insecurities in some of the key leadership that drive their management styles, and that tending to these insecurities has taken precedence over morale, or the collaborative effort to produce the best work possible, or even the livelihoods and wellbeing of their employees. I’ve had the pleasure of working with leaders who felt supremely confident about their abilities and positions and therefore didn’t feel the need to fret over dissenting opinions or bumps in the roadmap. My personal experience at Fender felt very much the opposite of that.

The environment comes from the top down. Until there are major changes with management there’s no reason to expect anything beyond the status quo. In the meantime talented people across the company are lost, potential is squandered, morale is suppressed, the brand’s ability to attract more talent is diminished, and its reputation is tarnished. It really is a shame.

10. "I love music, so i love this place."

Current Employee - Continuous Improvement Engineer in Corona, CA
    Current Employee - Continuous Improvement Engineer in Corona, CA

I have been working at Fender Musical Instruments full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People are great, culture is welcoming

Cons

Too many new people, seems to have had staffing issues

Advice to Management

Lets focus on lean and grow together