FibroGen Reviews | Glassdoor

FibroGen Reviews

Found 63 reviews

3.1
Thomas B. Neff
Pros
  • "It’s a fast paced work environment but bosses encourage good work-family balance(in 8 reviews)

• "good stock options, good location in Mission Bay(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management does not appear overly concerned with this(in 8 reviews)

• "Micro-management by unqualified staff who shift blame onto anyone other than themselves, toxic culture, unethical decisions made daily(in 4 reviews)

"Good company to work for"

I have been working at FibroGen full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

The people, pipeline, and opportunity for growth is exciting! The work environment is collaborative and everyone is engaged.

Cons

The CEO is not visible and employees would like to hear from him. They can do a better job creating a work culture.

Advice to Management

Listen to what the employees are asking for. We are doing good work but we can do good work at any other biotech company.

FibroGen2018-02-10

"Good Company to work for"

Current Employee - Clinical Trial Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at FibroGen full-time

Pros

Good benefits, nice people, flexible hours, beautiful location.

Cons

A little unorganized. Must have patience to work here.

FibroGen2019-01-10

"An honest review from someone who was concerned by GlassDoor reviews, but took the job anyways"

I have been working at FibroGen full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Like many others, I read GlassDoor reviews and they weighed heavily on my mind as I walked into the interview room. Like others, I was concerned. So, as someone just like you, reading these reviews, I thought it would be helpful to future interviewees to detail my experience. Despite the negative reviews, I took a leap of faith and accepted the job offer. Coming from a previous job with an immensely toxic culture,...

Cons

- Complacency; some management have a myopic view of how things should be done and are resistant to change - Unyielding budget; most of FibroGen's money is tied up in clinical trials and this means budget allocation only trickles down to other departments

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees' happiness. We could do more to foster a good work culture; take a cue from other younger businesses in the Bay Area - perks and work culture contribute to employee happiness, which contributes to significant gains in productivity. Also, don't be so afraid to spend money. A process made inefficient by budgetary constraints is a process that loses you money in the long run.

FibroGen2018-11-01

"Great research group"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at FibroGen full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

Great group of people in research department. Friendly, knowledgeable, collaborative, and always happy to help. A lot of exploratory research so intellectually very stimulating. It’s a fast paced work environment but bosses encourage good work-family balance.

Cons

Research is a little isolated from other departments. Lacks transparency. But HR is working on improving it.

Advice to Management

More career development

FibroGen2018-09-21

"Superb Pipelines"

I have been working at FibroGen full-time

Pros

Excellent pipelines internally developed and close to market. Many nice and talented people.

Cons

Some departments can improve the culture.

FibroGen2018-08-23

"Manager"

I worked at FibroGen full-time

Pros

Manager is good. Opportunities to try different things.

Cons

HR needs to be professional. You may turn good people away.

FibroGen2018-10-03

FibroGen Response

October 10, 2018VP, Human Resources

Our HR team strives to be highly professional and would like to better understand your specific feedback. We encourage you to contact either someone in Human Resources or a member of the management team to share your specific concerns so that they may be quickly addressed. Thank you.

"Don't believe any good reviews they are fake from Human Resources"

Former Employee - Manager

I worked at FibroGen full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Relatively good pipeline. Two drugs in the pipeline but both seem promising, especially the anemia drug.

Cons

Before taking the position at Fibrogen I checked the reviews and there was this review about employees being like Orcs from Lord of the Rings. And if you go there and stay to long you will turn into one. Most accurate review I have read about a company. But for some reason it is not up anymore. Fake positive reviews of the company are being posted by Human Resources. Unfortunately, the bad reputation of this company precedes...

Advice to Management

Start over, hire managers that are not sexist pigs. Hire people that want to collaborate. Create a new positive work culture.

FibroGen2018-08-23

"The Most TOXIC Company"

I worked at FibroGen full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Relatively good pipeline.. only 2 drugs in the pipeline but both seem promising, especially the anemia drug.

Cons

FibroGen reminds me of the Michael Jackson Thriller video. The upper management is like a whole bunch of zombies headed by CEO Thomas Neff, the Zombie King. It is the most toxic culture I have experienced in my more than 20 years in the pharmaceutical industry. There is absolutely no law and order and the upper management run around yelling and throwing tamper tantrums as if they are 2-year olds. Personally I was shocked....

Advice to Management

None. Management is beyond HELP

FibroGen2018-08-17

"Not recommended"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at FibroGen full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

Competitive salary, decent location (although it is starting to decline given recent construction and crime in the area), there are some extremely knowledgeable people both in lower level staff and in management who are passionate about the company's mission.

Cons

If you are not part of the group of people who have been at the company 10 years or more, you are alienated. There is little to no training offered to new hires. A lot of policies and procedures are terribly outdated and inefficient (or nonexistent) - and no one is willing to update them. Upper management is disorganized, doesn't know how to delegate, secretive, and at times behave like children throwing tantrums. Employees...

Advice to Management

Learn to value your employees and make company culture a priority. Delegate more and trust that the people you have hired are competent enough to do their jobs.

FibroGen2018-05-09

"Director of Compliance"

Former Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at FibroGen full-time for more than a year

Pros

good stock options, good location in Mission Bay. Some people are nice to work with. Company tries to do the right thing.

Cons

Senior leadership management is not well structured. Culture can be territorial in certain groups, which is not conducive for productivity at times . Small company but environment can sometimes be as political as in big corporations.

Advice to Management

More transparency on company's visions and strategic goals. Focus on developing internal talents to move things forward

FibroGen2018-03-19