FibroGen Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Thomas B. Neff

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The building is nice and in a good location (in 5 reviews)

• Most employees seem dedicated and hard working (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management shows little respect or regard for employees (in 5 reviews)

• Insufficient delegation of decision making; Not a sense that employees are to be trusted and valued (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great experience that can not be replaced."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at FibroGen full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I've worked at FibroGen for a while . I enjoy the people I work with and the work environment is amazing. The experience and what they've taught me and continue to teach me cannot be replaced.

Cons

Like every company there are areas that can be improved on.

"Great company, but not for everyone"

I have been working at FibroGen full-time

Pros

FibroGen's management is lead and pro-active. Employee development is important. Even lower levels of management, Sr. Manager and below, tend to be highly competent in their skills area.

Cons

FibroGen is not for everyone. Tight budget controls and lack of transparency of budgeting to the organization often frustrate managers who want to make decisions.

"Frustrating"

I have been working at FibroGen full-time

Pros

Great salary, nice location and building, good sized gym, mostly friendly coworkers

Cons

Lack of collaboration, decisions appear to be made on short term financial savings at cost to long term, considerable resistance to change/coming up to industry standards or current practices.

Advice to Management

Once you hire quality staff, listen to their expertise and be a support in allowing staff to get their jobs done well.

4. "bad management skill"

I have been working at FibroGen (Less than a year)

Pros

The building looks nice. They have gym and dining room

Cons

management level doesnt care about you. They will insult you and belittle you if u did something wrong. There is no room for you to learn. You have to known how to do the job right away.

"A great place to work if you are willing to roll up your sleeves"

Current Employee - Long Time Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Long Time Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at FibroGen full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been with FibroGen for a very long time. I am a huge fan of this company. It has been very good to me and has given me the opportunity to grow professionally in a way most other places wouldn't.

FibroGen is a very exciting place to work right now. The clinical science looks promising - FibroGen is conducting clinical studies on a global basis evaluating drugs to treat anemia, cancer and different fibrotic diseases. Hopefully, we'll be filing a New Drug Application is a couple of years.

FibroGen has been establishing a subsidiary in China and running clinical studies in that Country. For both the US and China staff, it has been exciting and educational working in and with China setting up all aspects of the subsidiary and working through the logistics of clinical studies in that country.

The compensation at FibroGen is competitive and diversified (salary, bonus, stock options, RSU plan, ESPP, matching 401K). Your hard work is rewarded. But be prepared to work hard.

Overall, the FibroGen team is well qualified, creative, intense, and hard working. There are opportunities to grow at FibroGen, for your voice to be heard, and for you to be creative. There are also plenty of opportunities to learn.

Great location. Right across the street from UCSF medical school. One side of our building looks onto the bay - stunning views. The Mission Bay neighborhood is developing - restaurants, wine bars, gourmet food trucks all within walking distance. The health club in our building is good, and UCSF has a full health club with a pool just across the street. It is a beautiful walk/run from FibroGen to the Ferry Building.

Cons

FibroGen employees can be intense and clashes occasionally occur. Upper management does not appear overly concerned with this. It's not a huge problem, but clashes do occur.

Upper management does not delegate very well. This has improved somewhat over the years, but still poses a challenge for our management. This lack of delegation sometimes causes delays and when an overdue decision is finally made staff needs to needlessly rush to meet a timeline.

Workload can be heavy at times, and FibroGen is somewhat understaffed. If you are hard working, motivated, and can deal with an occasional frustration, you'll be fine.

It is sometimes difficult to get updates on company goals and progress due to poor internal corporate communications.

Advice to Management

Keep up the exciting work toward developing therapeutics that will one day hopefully help people with anemia, cancer, fibrosis, and an array of other diseases.

Keep hiring knowledgeable and skillful staff.

Keep up the great work with benefits and compensation.

Pay more attention to work place environment and encourage a team approach to problems.

Provide personnel training to managers.

Organize better, delegate, trust your employees. FibroGen has a great staff. We know what we're doing.

Provide effective corporate communication to employees regarding company progress and goals.

6. "FibroGen is a great place to work!"

Current Employee - Director of Accounting and Financial Reporting in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at FibroGen full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

FibroGen is a great company that allows individuals to use a wide breadth of skills while learning additional skills not typically available in larger companies. It is a very dynamic and fast-paced company with a focus success and work-life balance. The Mission Bay provides a wonderful work place setting in San Francisco.

Cons

I cannot think of any Cons.

Advice to Management

Every company has room for improvement. It is always key to keep a finger on the pulse and be proactive rather than reactionary. Continuous training of personnel will keep FibroGen competitive for the future.

7. "Great Company!"

Current Employee - Executive Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Executive Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at FibroGen full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This is the best job I have ever had. It draws upon my past experience and I am growing and learning more than I could have imagined. I enjoy the people who work here, the job, the company, the work challenges, the CEO (he knows what he is doing) and all of that makes it worthwhile being here. This experience cannot be duplicated and I am looking forward to good things from FibroGen in the future.

Cons

Can be stressful at times with a lot of work demands.

"Great view, nearby and far away"

Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at FibroGen full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very exciting opportunity and potentials. Dynamic environment. FibroGen maintains many positive aspects of biotech company. Individual does make impact and have great career growing opportunity.

Cons

Demanding work load, and fast pace. Timeline always short, and requiring extra efforts. No real vacation time, nor off hours. Would love to see more enhanced benefits with some restrictions eliminated.

9. "A Company with Great Potential for Growth"

I have been working at FibroGen full-time

Pros

Exciting product portfolio, strong senior leadership team, good location (if you live in SF), competitive compensation, hard working team dynamics, good work/life balance

Cons

Paying for parking, driving to SF (if you don't live in the city)

Advice to Management

Get FG-4592 launched!

10. "Great experience in interviewing a positon"

I have been working at FibroGen full-time

Pros

the pipelines are great and opportunities are exciting. People were asking direct questions and giving honest answers during the interview.

Cons

The timelines sound unrealistically aggressive based on their infrastructures and processes

Advice to Management

Improve working processes and time management.