Filter Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Joe Melanson

Pros
Cons
  • The much-touted tribal values strike me as fairly gimmicky, so it requires sincerity for them to be truly meaningful (in 3 reviews)

• Every organization has its growing pains, but Filter has been able to come out better from them (in 2 reviews)

"Amazing Team and Culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

You really get to know everyone and each employee has something unique to offer! Very supportive and encouraging team with an inspiring upper management. Everyone works diligently, yet the company promotes a healthy work-life balance. Overall, I had a great experience working for Filter.

Cons

The view from the office is so beautiful and can be distracting! That was the only downside.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work encouraging employees to succeed. It is very motivating and makes employees excited to come to work.

2. "Great company, great culture!"

Former Employee - Sr Program Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Sr Program Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Filter full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Very positive work environment. People are friendly and engaging, and there are zero politics. Filter really values having a positive culture and great team fit for everyone.

- Exceptional transparency about company operations. I've never worked for a more open and honest company.

- Strong customer orientation. Everyone wants to give clients and candidates the best experience possible. It's like the have a mission to do good in the world for staffing and teams.

- All managers are very approachable, including VPs and the CEO. Their open door policy is the real deal.

- Special props to director Don Olson, who is one of the most awesome people ever to work with.

- Family-friendly company with a diverse mix of people.

- Good solid benefits package. And for FTEs, unlimited PTO!

Cons

- The actual owner is rarely seen, but it has no negative impact on the company. The CEO Joe runs the show and is very engaged.

- The only true negative I can think of is that in a company this small, there's limited opportunity for advancement. For FTEs, a smaller company with a flat organization simply doesn't have 10 different levels and title variations for each discipline. And contractors are assigned to one gig at a time, so working your way up to higher-level titles is pretty much up to you. When it comes time to find the next gig, if Filter has a suitable role and you're a fit, the talent managers will do everything they can to help you pitch yourself, but the reality is that there simply isn't a well-defined career track in any similar company of this size.

- Overall the culture is very positive. Like many other companies, for every 50 happy people I'd personally estimate that there is 1 unhappy one with an axe to grind on Glassdoor, so take those with a grain of salt.

Advice to Management

- Keep up the transparency and focus on company culture - it's what makes Filter a great and unique place to work!

- Consider offering a discount on the spouse & family options for health insurance. I get that health insurance is super expensive, but even 10% would be a good gesture that would put you ahead of the competition.

"The best in the business"

Former Employee - Client Partner in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Client Partner in Portland, OR

I worked at Filter full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very innovative company in the field of digital talent.
    Highly engaged CEO and direct reports.
    Multiple streams of revenue.
    Cutting edge business plan.

Cons

Company has made an attempt to stabilize its delivery model and it seems to be paying off.

Advice to Management

Invest in a more affordable family health plan for everyone.

"Circling the drain of CULTure"

Former Employee - Talent Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Talent Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Filter full-time

Pros

You can be yourself at Filter – when you walk in the door every day, you walk in as the same person you are in your non-work life.

(Until you actually bring up something that is inappropriate and causes us to look at who we are and how we favor others. Then, you're labeled a problem, instead of taking the feedback and actually doing something with it. Make no mistake: we WILL get rid of you ASAP. We can't have people speaking the truth and alerting the droves of sheep that this place is full of it.)

Filter not only allows you to pursue interests outside of work; they champion you in all of your forms!

(It's true! Even at the expense of the other members of your otherwise producing team and former friendships. Cut throat CULTure is prevalent here. Ah, the irony!)

If you drink Kool-aid, you'll love it here. They serve and force it by the gallons.

Cons

Favoritism is THE management practice. (redirecting commissions after an employee leaves -um, yah - we all know what you did in the Spring, and what you'll likely continue to do after this last round of layoffs.)

Accounts are dropping and being lost left and right. San Francisco has no physical representation. LA is long gone. TX is managed remotely. It's ALL smoke and mirrors.

Advice to Management

Your business is failing at a rapid pace because you have the wrong people managing. Dumbing down your teams to be a bunch of yes people who stroke your egos is a sure fire way to circle the drain. Trauma queens should not be financially rewarded at the expense of other teammates. Your revolution has failed. Your job fitness and mind expanding opportunities are no more than myth. See you on the unemployment line.

"Life is too short not to work at Filter!"

Current Employee - Talent Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Talent Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Filter full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fabulous company - culture and values
    Great management - the best manager I have ever had
    Cares deeply about employees
    Woman owned business

Cons

Honestly I can't think of one. I have worked for FIlter for a total of 10 + years. Coming back twice. I have been around the block, working at many companies and Filter is my forever home.

"Managed Teams contractor"

Former Employee - Managed Teams Contractor in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Managed Teams Contractor in Seattle, WA

I worked at Filter full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Supportive and positive work environment. Toxic personalities do not last long. I've frequently felt blessed to work with smart, capable project managers with wonderful personalities. After nearly 10 years on a long list of projects I've seen a lot of change at this company, and I think it's stronger than ever with a clear vision and direction for success.

Cons

It's fairly easy for managed team members and the "corporate" personnel to become split into silos. This is understandable since we work on completely different things, but Filter has pushed hard to deliver on the "Filterati" cultural model. The much-touted tribal values strike me as fairly gimmicky, so it requires sincerity for them to be truly meaningful.

Advice to Management

I suggest the management put a little extra effort into including managed team contractors in the office environment. An example would be the monthly "UnFiltered"/"Filter Now" state of the business meetings--although the invite is open to contractors, it is geared toward the corporate staff so much that it feels like being an intruder to sit in on these. Just a nod or a comment like "Thanks to contractors like Jane Doe, this month was..." would go a long way toward engendering a feeling of true inclusion.

"Great company, great management"

Current Employee - Talent Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Talent Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Filter (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company to work for and excellent management team. I've been with Filter for years and seen it go through many changes. The important thing to me is that these changes, especially recently (in the last year or two) have all been POSITIVE change. Management is focusing on really listening to both internal staff and our contractors, and implementing changes that make all of our lives better. We have instituted more organized internal processes that make things run more smoothly and just make more sense, we are prioritizing our candidates more than ever before, and our culture has improved immensely. My team is awesome and we're all energized for the future. I'm honestly happier than I've ever been here.

Cons

We've had some ups and downs on the sales team (to be expected in sales) which can rock the boat sometimes, but I feel like we're headed in a good direction now

Advice to Management

Keep the respectful lines of communication open - you're doing a great job making your employees feel heard and respected and that goes a long way!

"Here for the long haul"

Current Employee - Director in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Director in Seattle, WA

Pros

Challenging in a positive way. Freedom to define how to be successful and contribute to the growth of the organisation.

Cons

Challenge is not for everyone. This isn't a 'kick back and collect the check' type of place. It isn't for everyone and clearly the disgruntled comments on this site are testament to that.

Advice to Management

Keep supporting the vision. All of the right pieces are there, let's take it over the top!

"Growing pains stretch us in positive ways"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Filter full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Filter is doing things differently than other companies out there. Change is difficult for many people, but Filter is approaching change as an evolution to a better business model for the company, its clients, and the people they serve. It's great working for a company that has a true value system that drives they way it's approaching its business model. There's also very little politics, which is rare in an organization. People are honest and open and feedback is welcome. Also, great downtown location.

Cons

Some people are uncomfortable with change or don't voice their concerns. If they don't voice them internally, solutions can't be found. Outsiders also don't always understand the direction because Filter is doing things differently from competitors. But, sometimes that's how you know when a company is doing something right when it meets resistance.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to do what's right, even when others question it. Give credit to the teams of people working together daily to move the vision forward.

"HTML Valitor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

Very friendly. New office has great view of Downtown.Everyone is in a tech field.Have work laptops. Very flexible hours. Contracts and full time jobs. Hire people right out of school.

Cons

Not a lot remote but depends on the team you work on. New office is very tight space. No parking place.Meeting with group can be difficult.