First Command Financial Services Reviews

Updated Jun 6, 2021

4.1
First Command Financial Services CEO Mark Steffe
Mark Steffe
Pros
  • "Home Office was FANTASTIC about providing support(in 15 reviews)

• "Flexibility of schedule, unlimited earning potential, good people(in 10 reviews)

• Cons
  • "If you don't come from a military background you may struggle a little but you will still be able to make it(in 22 reviews)

• "Had to call my friends and family to push whole life insurance(in 19 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years
      Featured Review

Good Place to Work

Dec 8, 2020 - Senior Administrative Assistant in Fort Worth, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good Pay, Great Benefits, Good Support System

Cons

Non really - Unique Culture

2. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 8 years

A Motivated Company Striving for Greatness

Jun 6, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

With a new CEO at the helm, First Command is taking impressively large strides towards a more sophisticated, mission-driven business model. The global pandemic accelerated both the digital transformation and a new and proven flexible work environment. While both mission and vision are critical, this CEO is brave enough to hold the company's values at the same level of importance by celebrating and fostering diversity, ensuring employee equity and taking an unprecedented stance on social justice. Young, bold and talented visionaries having a voice at the table will continue to enable the evolution of this brand and its ability to meaningfully connect with its core market. I had the great privilege of meeting so many passionate, kind and genuine people at First Command. I made lifelong friends, worked alongside and for inspiring thought leaders and experienced an immense amount of kindness. I am forever grateful.

Cons

- Standardization and key business processes from enterprise to field. - Leaders lacking a business development background.

VP, Communications

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience with us. At First Command, our leadership is focused on providing our employees with opportunities to enhance their professional knowledge, develop leadership skills and grow within the organization. We are committed to creating and sustaining a diverse and supportive culture that inspires our employees and makes them feel appreciated and a part of the First Command family. We appreciate your recognition of our recent efforts in the advancement of our technology, as we are committed to making continuous investments in our digital capabilities. The pandemic prompted us to accelerate our efforts and we quickly launched new digital engagement tools to enable ongoing business growth and continued servicing of existing clients. Thank you again for your feedback and for sharing your experience.

3. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Great coworkers and disappointing management

Jun 3, 2021 - Marketing Operations in Fort Worth, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great coworkers Retirement benefits (ESOP) Reaction to the pandemic with employees working remotely

Cons

Departmental management (Marketing, specifically) Leadership development Constantly changing priorities Not staffed appropriately (more people who generate work than people to do the work) Work/life balance

3 people found this review helpful

VP, Communications

Thank you for sharing your perspective with us. As an employee-owned company, we are committed to creating and sustaining a culture that inspires our employees and makes them feel appreciated. Encouraging feedback and constructive criticism from our employee owners is part of that commitment. We invite employees to discuss business-related problems with their supervisors or with any members of management. That open door policy is highly valued by our workforce. In our most recent employee experience survey, more than 90 percent of employees said they have confidence in the leadership of this organization and believe leaders care about their employees’ well-being. Specifically, the employees in the Client Experience and Marketing department gave the highest average scores in the company. First Command has been named one of the Best Companies to Work for in Texas by Texas Monthly, the Texas Association of Business, Texas Society for Human Resource Management and Best Companies Group. This recognition was based in large part on results of an employee survey. In that survey roughly nine out of 10 First Command employees said they would recommend working here to a friend. In addition to surveys, we rely on the results of reviews on Glassdoor and other sites to gain critical insights. We will be sure to make our leadership aware of your post so we can continue to improve.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great place to work!

May 24, 2021 - Recruiting Specialist in Fort Worth, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Culture, work schedule, great management, and pay/benefits

Cons

I do not have any cons to share.

VP, Communications

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience and the benefits of a career with First Command. We are committed to creating and sustaining a culture that inspires our employees and makes them feel appreciated and part of the First Command family. We focus on providing our employees with opportunities for professional growth, and we reward them through an attractive compensation and benefits program. We appreciate your feedback and thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Great Company

May 20, 2021 - Operations in Fort Worth, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Mission, culture, family friendly, flexible schedules, career development

Cons

Systems (but we are working to improve)

VP, Communications

Thank you for sharing your positive experience at First Command and the benefits of working for our company. We are committed to creating and sustaining a culture that inspires our employees and makes them feel appreciated and part of the First Command family. We seek to attract and retain talented people by providing our employees with opportunities to enhance their professional knowledge and grow within the organization. We appreciate your recognition of our recent efforts in the advancement of our systems and technology, as we are committed to making continuous investments in our digital capabilities. The pandemic prompted us to accelerate our efforts and we quickly launched new digital engagement tools to enable ongoing business growth and continued servicing of existing clients. Thank you again for your feedback and for sharing your experience.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Best Place I've Ever Worked!

Apr 14, 2021 - Marketing Campaign Manager in Fort Worth, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work/Life Balance Leadership listens Our Mission is worth working hard for Great co-workers Smart people Virtual environment has been positive since Covid Benefits Flexibility

Cons

I don't have any cons at this time.

VP, Communications

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience and the benefits of a career with First Command. We are committed to creating and sustaining a culture that inspires our employees and makes them feel appreciated and part of the First Command family. The mission of our company is incredibly important to our employees and Advisors. They tell us that one of the most compelling elements of this career is the opportunity to serve military personnel and their families in a meaningful way. We appreciate your feedback and thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Love my job

Apr 15, 2021 - Administrative Assistant in Niceville, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

I love the flexibility, my co-workers, the opportunity on working on various platforms and systems.

Cons

Although I’m being part-time, I work many hours and don’t get any PTO.

1 person found this review helpful

VP, Communications

Thank you for sharing some of the benefits of working at First Command. We are committed to attracting and retaining talented people. Employees in our Home Office in Fort Worth, Texas, enjoy an attractive compensation package. Local Advisors set the pay and benefits for their office managers and other support staff professionals in our local offices. In all cases the goal is to attract the best people and reward them for committed service. Thank you for taking the time to share your perspective.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Serving Those Who Serve

Jan 26, 2021 - Marketing Manager in Fort Worth, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

As a long-time client of First Command, I was honored to have the opportunity to join the First Command family on our Home Office team. To be a part of a company who truly lives out our mission of serving those who serve gives me inspiration and motivation in my work each and every day. Our team is supportive and encouraging and, even while working remote, I feel incredibly connected. Coming from a military family, the culture at First Command couldn’t be a better fit and I look forward to growing my career with the company. Overall, exceptional culture, empowering management, continual professional development, rewarding long-term compensation program, strong mission and values lived out every day.

Cons

While onboarding and training were a challenge fully remote, I have felt nothing but genuine support from my team.

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Unbelievable co-workers, culture, and opportunity

Apr 14, 2021 - Marketing Manager in Fort Worth, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits, culture, management, career advancement, autonomy, teamwork, flexibility

Cons

Slightly behind technology standards, but working quickly to correct them

VP, Communications

We appreciate you sharing your positive experience at First Command and the benefits of working for our company. We are committed to providing our employees with opportunities to enhance their professional knowledge, develop leadership skills and grow within the organization. We appreciate your recognition of our recent efforts in the advancement of technology, as we are committed to making continuous investments in our digital capabilities. The pandemic prompted us to accelerate our efforts and we quickly launched new digital engagement tools to enable ongoing business growth and continued servicing of existing clients. Thank you again for your feedback and for sharing your experience.

10. 3.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Good company overall but inflexible business model during COVID

Mar 27, 2021 - Financial Advisor
      Business Outlook

Pros

Sponsored test prep and FINRA SIE/Series 7/66 exams Good training program Improving lives of military families Lots of good people throughout the company

Cons

Have to sell a lot of whole life insurance to be successful at first Inflexible business model cannot allow for disruptions due to COVID-19 restrictions Very small percent of those starting will be successful

5 people found this review helpful

VP, Communications

Thank you for sharing some of the benefits of pursuing a career as a First Command Financial Advisor. First Command’s military-focused hiring strategy dates to our company’s founding in 1958, and it has given us a strong retention rate for new Advisors. We have been recognized as a 2021 Military Friendly Employer and are proud to rank among the nation’s top employers of military vets and spouses. Like all careers, this one has its share of challenges. We strive to provide our Advisors with the resources and expertise to meet those challenges. The COVID-19 pandemic has been a difficult period for many. During this time, we have supported our Advisors with resources to allow ongoing business growth and continued servicing of existing clients. We quickly enabled digital engagement tools, and we continue to encourage our Advisors to reach out to their leadership team for marketing ideas and support. Our most successful Advisors tell us that one of the most compelling elements of this career is the opportunity to serve military personnel and their families in a meaningful way. Our Advisors go through an extensive training program designed to equip them to succeed as independent contractors. Advisors learn how to build and grow their own business, serve new clients and provide quality, face-to-face financial coaching. They learn how to coach our clients to become financially disciplined and confident in their pursuit of financial security. Regarding your comments on whole life insurance – our company does not focus on the sale of any specific type of financial product. Our Advisors offer products and services in the context of financial coaching through a comprehensive financial plan. First Command seeks Advisors who believe in this approach and always put our clients first. In this way, we maintain a culture that reflects the highest ethical standards and best practices of the financial services industry. We appreciate your feedback and thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 220 Reviews