First Command Financial Services Reviews

Updated Mar 10, 2020

3.2
First Command Financial Services CEO Mark Steffe
Mark Steffe
Pros
  • "Home Office was FANTASTIC about providing support(in 15 reviews)

• "They also train you and sponsor licensing if you are motivated and interested in becoming a financial advisor(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "If you don't come from a military background you may struggle a little but you will still be able to make it(in 21 reviews)

• "Their ENTIRE model is based off of WHOLE LIFE INSURANCE(in 16 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"This Is My Family"

Current Employee - Financial Advisor

I have been working at First Command Financial Services full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I feel so proud knowing that what I do everyday makes a difference in others lives. The training has improved every year that I've been here and I never get tired of receiving hand written appreciation cards from some of the top executives.

Cons

More digital improvements are needed.

First Command Financial Services2019-09-20
  2. "Work here"

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Evans, GA

I have been working at First Command Financial Services full-time

Pros

Very Flexible and the company has a great culture.

Cons

If you don't come from a military background you may struggle a little but you will still be able to make it.

First Command Financial Services2020-03-10
  3. "Great Company"

I worked at First Command Financial Services part-time

Pros

Great work culture at First Command

Cons

Need to update technology

First Command Financial Services2020-03-05
  4. "Good Starting Place"

Current Employee - Financial Advisor Trainee in Biloxi, MS

I have been working at First Command Financial Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

First Command is a great firm to obtain your Securities licenses. They pay for all the exams. Base salry of 4k for 6months

Cons

Limited Market to work with

First Command Financial Services2020-03-03
  5. "Great company"

4.0
    Former Employee - Office Manager in Pensacola, FL

I worked at First Command Financial Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

Home Office was FANTASTIC about providing support! Great environment to work in. Coworkers were all about helping veterans (and others) lead their best financial lives.

Cons

No insurance benefits were provided

First Command Financial Services2020-02-05

February 10, 2020Marketing Campaign Manager

Thank you for your positive comments. We’re pleased that you enjoyed your time in our Pensacola office. At First Command, we are committed to creating and nurturing a positive environment for all. Encouraging feedback and constructive criticism is part of that commitment. We appreciate your comment on insurance benefits. First Command offers competitive pay and benefits to employees in our Home Office in Fort Worth, Texas. Local Advisors are responsible for the pay and benefits they offer to their office managers and other support staff professionals in our local offices. In all cases our goal is to attract the best employees and reward them for committed service. Thank you for taking the time to share your perspective. I am passing your comments along to our Leadership.

6. "Growing firm"

Current Employee - Financial Planning in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at First Command Financial Services full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Nice campus, work from home opportunities, ESOP,

Cons

Salaries could be more competitive

First Command Financial Services2020-02-07

"NOT a Best Place to work!"

1.0

I worked at First Command Financial Services full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

ESOP is the only pro

Cons

This used to be a fun, safe place to work. New leadership has turned the environment into a place lacking accountability at the senior leadership level. Note that the “good ole boys” club is alive and well!! If you’re not part of the club, you’re going nowhere.

First Command Financial Services2020-02-23

February 24, 2020Marketing Campaign Manager

Thank you for sharing your perspective with us. As an employee-owned company, we are committed to creating and nurturing a positive environment. We seek to create and sustain a culture that inspires our employees and makes them feel appreciated. Encouraging feedback and constructive criticism from our employee owners is part of that commitment. We invite our employees to share their experiences so we can address any shortcomings and bring positive change to the organization. We maintain an open door policy, and we encourage employees to discuss business-related problems with their supervisors or with any members of management. Leadership development is a top priority at First Command. We are committed to the successful cultivation of new leaders through efforts that include a structured development program for managers. We pay close attention to the results of employee surveys and reviews on Glassdoor and other sites. First Command has been named one of the Best Companies to Work for in Texas by Texas Monthly, the Texas Association of Business, Texas Society for Human Resource Management and Best Companies Group. This recognition was based in large part on results of an employee survey to measure the employee experience. I will be sure to make our leadership aware of your concerns so we can continue to improve.

8. "Administrative Assistant"

2.0
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at First Command Financial Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible time and helps to balance work and life

Cons

Poor Management & lack of employee motivation

First Command Financial Services2019-12-18

December 22, 2019Marketing Campaign Manager

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I'm sorry to hear about your negative experience. We are committed to creating and sustaining a culture that inspires our employees and makes them feel appreciated. We invite our employees to share their experiences so we can address any shortcomings and bring positive change to the organization. We pay close attention to the results of employee surveys and reviews on Glassdoor and other sites. This year First Command was named one of the Best Companies to Work for in Texas by Texas Monthly, the Texas Association of Business, Texas Society for Human Resource Management and Best Companies Group. This recognition was based in large part on results of an employee survey to measure the employee experience. Most importantly, our employees believe in and are genuinely committed to a higher calling serving our Nation's career military families. I will be sure to make our leadership aware of your concerns.

9. "Constant Change; Hope you like whole life - better sell a lot of it."

2.0
    Current Employee - Advisor

I have been working at First Command Financial Services full-time

Pros

Flexibility of schedule, unlimited earning potential, good people.

Cons

You're on the hook - pay for your office space, pay for your assistant, pay the home office each month for their "help", pay to go to regional training if you want to or not. Severely lacking in digital. Out of touch from a product perspective. If you don't have a second source of income, good luck making it.

First Command Financial Services2019-12-03

December 3, 2019Marketing Campaign Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences. We appreciate that you have noted some of the key advantages of pursuing a career as a First Command Financial Advisor, including the opportunity to work with good people. Your observation aligns with the feedback we get from our most successful Advisors. They tell us that one of the most compelling elements of this career is the opportunity to serve military families in a meaningful way. Four out of five First Command Financial Advisors come from the ranks of veterans and military spouses. For these Advisors, the career is about serving those who serve. It is about staying connected to the military community in a way that adds value to the lives of service members and their families by helping them pursue their financial objectives and goals.As you note, our Advisors have flexibility of schedule and unlimited earning potential. That's because they are independent contractors. We seek individuals with internal drive, entrepreneurial mindsets and a desire for professional growth. We provide new Advisors with an extensive training program designed to equip them to succeed as independent contractors. Advisors learn how to build and grow their own business, serve new clients, and provide quality, face-to-face financial coaching. We have found that those who are primarily motivated to sell products do not typically enjoy long-term success. We do not focus on the sale of whole life insurance (or any specific type of financial product). Rather, we coach our clients to become financially disciplined and confident in their pursuit of financial security by addressing the spectrum of financial issues they face. We always put our clients first. We are committed to a culture that reflects the highest ethical standards and best practices of the financial services industry. Again, thank you for taking the time to share your experiences.

10. "Worst leadership in 15 years"

1.0
    Current Employee - Banker

I have been working at First Command Financial Services full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Can’t think of any. Bank used to be better place to work, but going down the toilet

Cons

Leaders have no clue that new people need to be trained, much less how to train them. We are drowning and no one cares.

First Command Financial Services2019-12-06

December 10, 2019Marketing Campaign Manager

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I appreciate your long tenure with the company, and I'm sorry to hear about your negative experience. We recognize the importance of supporting our employees through strong and effective leaders. Leadership development is a top priority at First Command. We are committed to the successful cultivation of new leaders through efforts that include a structured development program for managers. We monitor our progress through feedback mechanisms like employee surveys and reviews on Glassdoor and other sites. This year First Command was named one of the Best Companies to Work for in Texas by Texas Monthly, the Texas Association of Business, Texas Society for Human Resource Management and Best Companies Group. This recognition was based in large part on results of an employee survey to measure the employee experience. We're committed to attracting and retaining talented people by providing our employees with opportunities to enhance their professional knowledge, develop leadership skills, and grow within the organization. And we are proud of the commitment and dedication of those who choose to be a part of this employee-owned company. Our Home Office employees in Fort Worth believe in and are genuinely committed to a higher calling serving America's career military families. I will be sure to make our leadership aware of your concerns so we can continue to bring positive change to the organization.

Found 182 reviews