First Response Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
David Foglio

1. "Best work Environment I've Experienced"

I have been working at First Response full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people here really do care about their employees. they are always striving to figure out what can be done to improve the quality of the work environment.

Cons

The pay in the security in general can be a little low.

2. "Family Oriented"

I have been working at First Response full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company is very focused on employee care. They aren't just another security company, they care about the overall well being of each and every employee. Ranging from the Director to the onsite. If you show the results and do your job, then you are paid adequately. If you are someone who slacks off and doesnt care, it shows. The best part about this job, is you dont take your work home with you.

Cons

Security is not a field that pays great. But they are making changes to help the employees.

Advice to Management

Keep taking care of the employees!

3. "Decent Family Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at First Response full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I'm lucky to be pretty much left alone with my contract company so I don't get any (really) micro managing. I keep them in the loop, they allow me to do my thing which keeps the contractors happy. Do your job, do it RIGHT and you'll get the right treatment from both sides of the contract. Now I go above and beyond what is asked of me but it keeps me in a good light and I'm getting good pay because of it. Hence the rating, that's a personal rating for my little part of the company.

Cons

Communication is still an issue but not as bad as before. It's an omgoing process that's constantly evolving. Get asked for a lot of OT, not that it's bad for some but I know others who are burned out. This is not a job for easily offended or hurt becuase it will happen. To the public you're an authority figure that many just don't like.

Advice to Management

Keep working on that communication issue. I think once that is solved FRI will go from a good company to a great company.

4. "More Like A 3.5 Star Rating (4 Stars For Me Personally)"

I have been working at First Response full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been with the company for over a year now and as in most security companies have been bounced around working different sites. I was sent to one site and really enjoyed working there and they liked me being there for them. Enough so that they went to my boss, (OPS. Mgr.), and worked a deal to keep me there as a permanent officer. Because of the work of my bosses I'm VERY happy with my new pay and position. It's nice to know that they had me covered. This is a local family run operation which makes it nice in the way that we are not just bodies and numbers. Lots of OT if you want to work. Good company to start with, lots to be learned on a first hand basis. OPS. Mgr. is a top notch man, cares about his officers. Use of lots of technology. Some good officers to work with. I'm happy because I worked hard to be an asset and I was rewarded for that work. It's nice that hard work pays off.

Cons

Pay can be low, especially if you're starting out new, but is better than other places depending on the position. Turnover can be high, (like every other security firm), but that makes it good for the people who want to work the OT. Communication can be spotty BUT getting BETTER.

Advice to Management

This is a tough one. Uniforms management could be better. I've had to wait a couple three months to get pants that fit properly. From what I'm told I'm lucky because I hardly see the brass so I'm not "micro managed" but others feel they are. How true is that feeling, I don't know. I've never experienced it but if it's true, you need to let people do their jobs, it's what you pay them for.

Apr 13, 2016 – Human Resources

First we would like to say THANK YOU for your feedback. Feedback is ALWAYS important to us, whether is it good or bad. We need to know how to be a better employer to every employee. We understand ... More

5. "Great Management"

Former Employee - Security Officer in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Security Officer in Portland, OR

I worked at First Response full-time

Pros

They will guarantee you have 40 hours of work at least. They have really listened to what the employees are asking, they have great benefits and the pay is there if you are showing up to your site.

Cons

Not always getting the prime spot right off the bat, showing that you are going to be consistent before going there.

Advice to Management

Continue to talk with your employees as much as you have been, its making a difference.

Apr 13, 2016 – Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. It is greatly appreciated. We are constantly working to better improve our way of thinking, thank you for letting us know that our current way is progressively getting ... More

"Dishonest but Loyal"

Current Employee - Security Officer in Hillsboro, OR
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Hillsboro, OR

I have been working at First Response full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Generally very flexible in scheduling for those who have lives outside of work, some of the best clients around, incredible coworkers are the rule rather than the exception, and opportunities to climb the ladder are everywhere and obtainable through hard work and dedication to the company.

Cons

You absolutely will catch all levels of management lying about trivial things. Any negative changes to contracts that arise are automatically shifted to blaming the client, rather than accepting responsibility for unpopular decisions, pay is just barely above minimum wage, rather than a living wage you can be confident in, schedule changes can and will happen without warning, without regard to actual employee availability, and management is very friendly and likeable but are not properly equipped or staffed to do their jobs effectively.

Advice to Management

Listen to clients and officers in the field (this includes site officers) rather than taking site management at their word. Stop lying to officers about the reasons behind unpopular decisions when they clearly already know the truth. Stop cutting officers' hours without warning; unannounced pay cuts are a financial hardship for employees who can barely pay rent (or outright cannot pay rent in several cases). Increase base pay for officers across the board; security is a skilled labor force, not fast food. Negotiate for annual wage increases for personnel to provide retention incentive, employee turnaround is already high in the industry with the demands of the job as it is, benefits packages are attractive to new hires, but keeping personnel requires more than decent insurance in the modern world.

Feb 3, 2016 – Administrative Coordinator

Thank you for the feedback. We are committed to creating mutual respect and fair consideration to all of our employees so I am disappointed to hear about some of your experiences. We value and ... More

"Not Organized"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at First Response full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They will hire anyone who applies , has a pulse and can pass a background check. An extreme amount of over time is available. They do offer a decent benefit package, which some employers do not.

Cons

They advertise "We will treat you like family". What this really means that unless you love a constant messed up schedule , promised raises that you won't get, double and sometimes triple shifts because of schedule mistakes and being constantly lied to. They will treat you like a "Red headed step child". I have worked in the security field for many years and there are always schedule problems, but this company is the worst I have ever seen.

Advice to Management

Start treating your employees like human beings instead of a number and you will not have so many problems with scheduling and turn over. Pay them a decent wage and don't promise things you can't deliver. Your employees will only be loyal to you and the client...if you are loyal to them. If they are almost to lose a contract, they will promote you to keep you if you know the site, then make you sign a contract for a way lower wage than promised.

Feb 3, 2016 – Administrative Coordinator

First we would like to apologize for our tardy reply. We want to Thank You for taking the time to give us your feedback. We are very sorry that your experience at First Response did not match our ... More

"Lack of communication makes for a negative experience."

Current Employee - On Site Security Officer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - On Site Security Officer in Portland, OR

I have been working at First Response full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I got a chance to meet some really excellent people both client side and employee side. The scheduler has a very chaotic position and does a really good job of getting you hours and sites close to home.

Cons

Lack of communication. Your schedule will frequently change without your knowledge leading to getting a call wondering why you are not on post. Pay rates are promised on the high end and then suddenly end up lower then promised. They will get you on-board by promising a site contract and then end up just bouncing you around from building to building. Uniforms are cheap and frequently missing patches, latches etc etc. Training is usually just the current onsite officer having you shadow, which works for some sites but in larger buildings one day on the job and being expected to be a pro is not sufficient enough. Operations management and the CEO have wonderful attitudes, but other admin personnel have poor attitudes towards their employees. There is a clause in their contract that states for whatever reason you can't give a two week notice (sometimes things happen in life) they reserve the right to pay out your wages at minimum wage. In other words a company that has been around for 26 years and "prides" themselves on their employees is willing to go as far as docking your wages just to avoid paying out what you are worth and worked. Other officers have shared stories of being promised one thing and given another. Required logins for company systems and required tools sometimes take up to a month just to get. Getting a hold of management in a timely manner is next to impossible.

Advice to Management

Remember that we are human beings with outside lives, while I understand being short handed or heavy scheduling conflicts it isn't okay to work your employees to death. Hearing from other officers that this is their 20th day or 25-30th day working with no time off is disheartening and shows that this company has something going on preventing them from operating as they should and want to. Most of everything I typed in here is operational level and isn't intentional. Be careful with promises to employees that you can deliver on.Remember that your officers are the front line image portrayed to current and future clients. I believe that with proper dedication and communication both in office and with patrol/onsite officers you can continue to build up your standing reputation in the Portland/Metro area.

9. "Site Security Officer"

Current Employee - Site Officer in Gresham, OR
    Current Employee - Site Officer in Gresham, OR

I have been working at First Response full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked for three other security companies in the past 9 years and FRI has the highest level of integrity of them all. I am so glad they hired me.

Cons

I only wish they would give raises to officers that have worked for them for over 2 years. If the cost of living didn't go up this would not be an issue but prices don't stay the same.

Advice to Management

I see them working on ways to improve constantly so I don't have much advice at this time as long as they remember that even the best officer is only human.

10. "Awesome Place to work!"

Current Employee - Security Officer in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at First Response full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They offer health benefits...which most security companies don't.
    People in the office are super friendly and helpful
    They've always found sites close to where I live, so I don't have to commute

Cons

Pay sure could be better

Advice to Management

More consistent training would be good