First Tech Federal Credit Union Reviews | Glassdoor

First Tech Federal Credit Union Reviews

Updated August 11, 2017

Full-timePart-time

3.9
First Tech Federal Credit Union President and Chief Executive Officer Greg Mitchell
Greg Mitchell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The benefits are great and the pay is competitive (in 12 reviews)

• This is a company that allows non-retail employees to find a good work-life balance (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • To me, work/life balance is key (in 6 reviews)

• Upper management out of touch with branch level employees (in 4 reviews)

"Join us if you care!"

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at First Tech Federal Credit Union full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

An organization filled with amazing individuals working tirelessly towards improving our members' experience and our communities. Great work-life balance, with many personal and professional development opportunities. You'll get a call from the CEO himself on your birthday, and you are encouraged to find a mentor within the organization!

Cons

As many have mentioned, we are going through a lot of growing pain. Things might get too complicated, and at times disconnected.

Advice to Management

Keep the great culture intact

Aug 15, 2017 – Communications Manager

We appreciate your review, and we’re so glad to hear that you love our culture and coworkers. At First Tech, we encourage all of our employees to take advantage of their 16 paid hours of professional... More

2. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Analyst in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Analyst in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at First Tech Federal Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great work life balance
    - Great benefits (Paid vacation package, matching 401K, 10 holidays, employee pricing on loans, great health & life insurance package).
    - Competitive salary
    - Not in downtown Portland
    - Relaxed environment
    - Friendly coworkers
    - Growing company
    - Rarely need to work overtime

Cons

- Can't set your own hours

Advice to Management

Relax the dress code for non member facing employees (for example allow casual dress wear as opposed to business casual).

Aug 15, 2017 – Communications Manager

Thank you for taking the time to review us! We’re so happy to hear that you’ve had a great experience at First Tech. We’ll pass your comments along about scheduling and dress code policy for... More

3. "Director"

Current Employee - Director in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Director in Beaverton, OR

Pros

After leaving my previous employer of 19 yrs. I didn't think I would find an employer that would foster my growth and career the same. When I found First Tech Federal Credit Union I was immediately impressed by everyone's openness in sharing both the great things and opportunities. I was excited to join a company that not only puts their members first, but also their associates. I've been a part of the First Tech family for 1.5 yrs and can't wait see what the rest of my journey here brings.

Cons

There is a lot of growing to be done in the space of streamlining processes and bringing leaving behind the old manual processes. There is a lot of exciting opportunity to help change and influence the credit union to become even more amazing then they are today.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to continue to be open to new ideas, leverage the experience of employees, and continue to help remove the road blocks that sometimes get in the way of those that are executing plans and strategic change.

Aug 15, 2017 – Communications Manager

We’re so glad you chose First Tech – welcome to the family! As you mentioned, we work hard to not only put our members first, but our employees as well, and we’re happy to hear you’re seeking... More

4. "Honestly happy here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Pros

I've been working here since January 2017, and in my six months here I can say that I'm honestly happy with my choice to join First Tech.

There are several pros to working here. One of which is the fact that, for lack of a better phrase, I'm treated like an adult. At previous companies, I was never given the benefit of the doubt for being treated like an adult despite working my tail off. Here, the motto seems to be more along the lines of GSD - getting stuff done - and if you work hard, it's noticed, appreciated, and often times, rewarded. I don't have management at my desk or tsk tsking me if I got stuck behind a school bus and am five minutes late.

There will be a tremendous amount of growth here at FT in the coming years, and I'm excited to see what this will all be, and know that there are growth opportunities for myself as a result. My manager as well as his managers have challenged me to dream about what my current role can grow into -- something I've never been asked. Additionally, everyone from mid-level management to the ET states that they want to be the employer of choice, they want employees to RETIRE from First Tech. How many times have you heard that at places you've worked?

Other perks: team building events, from department sponsored lunches, quarterly team lunches/events, many events to help raise funds for charities (pie throwing contests, ice cream socials/bake sales), food trucks in the corporate site twice a week to help spice up your lunch rotation, managers who care about your personal growth and development, paid professional training time, tuition/education reimbursement. All these little things add up to being a place that's fun, innovative, and doesn't always feel like "work".

Cons

Business continuity is a concern. Often times there are 1 or 2 people who know how to do a certain thing here. That's to be expected to an extent, but if that 1 person hit the lottery tomorrow- then what? It's a concern for me. I think it would be different if we had more robust/organized procedures, but the content management here is a little all over the place and could be improved.

Advice to Management

Growing company, with honestly not a lot of employees for the amount of divisions and work that gets done here. Therefore, still growing in the benefits offered. I think the PTO allotment offered each year is fair, medical benefits options are fairly good for what healthcare has become these days. What people would LOVE to see is some paid parental leave. The employer offers short term disability which is covered for mothers, the disability insurance has a 2 week waiting period and then pays at 60% of your normal pay. This is fairly standard for disability pay. There is no paid leave for fathers, except to utilize their PTO time. Mothers are encouraged to exhaust their PTO balance to cover their 2 week waiting period. Between hospital costs to have a new baby (with healthcare these days, running into the thousands of dollars) taking a 40% cut in pay, and then turning around and putting your infant into childcare to get back to work, suddenly a choice to have a child becomes very daunting. Of course there is job protection via FMLA. I realize we as a nation are not yet at a point of having such a thing as paid parental leave be mandatory and therefore that burden falls to the employer if they choose to take that as a benefit to offer it. I also realize that First Tech may not yet be at the point to offer such a benefit and that it would be expensive to carry out. But as far as work/life balance goes, this would go a long way to ensuring that our new parents remain financially successful and afloat upon welcoming that new baby into their lives. And obviously, not every employee will be having babies, so this benefit would not be utilized 100%.

Aug 9, 2017 – Communications Manager

We’re so happy to hear that the last six months have been such a great experience for you! We strive to create a working environment that’s fun, collaborative and respectful for all employees. As we... More

5. "Incredible place to work"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Bellevue, WA

Pros

I will start with the fact that the CEO calls every employee in the company on their Birthday !! Who does that in this day and age? My Father passed away in February and my boss had flowers delivered to my home. Again, who does that today? The company planted a tree in my Fathers honor too. I feel I have the ability to make a difference working here which drives me to want to actually make a difference. Easily the best environment I have ever worked in.

Cons

The limits of opportunities for advancement based on the size of the company could be a con, but as the company grows, so will opportunities.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing to make this an incredible place to work.

Aug 15, 2017 – Communications Manager

Our condolences to you and your family. It’s never easy to experience loss, so in honor of all lost loved ones of First Tech employees, we plant memory trees in forests across the US. We hope this... More

6. "Best Job I've had"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Beaverton, OR

Pros

The people and leaders here have been welcoming since my first day here. I couldn't have asked for a better job after leaving my last one.

Cons

Lots of growing pains right now. Not many procedures are documented.

Advice to Management

None at this time.

Aug 9, 2017 – Communications Manager

Thank you for your review. We’re thrilled to hear that this is the best job you’ve ever had! As we continue to grow, we’ll work to optimize our processes and procedures. We’ll share your comments... More

7. "Job stability"

Current Employee - Mortgage in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Mortgage in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at First Tech Federal Credit Union full-time

Pros

Focus on increasing efficiency while keeping all employees here at First Tech (not laying people off) to drive higher production goals.

Cons

Leadership is somewhat lacking in support of their reports.

Advice to Management

For support positions with no face-to-face member interaction, offer the option to work from home at least one day per week. For those of us with long commutes, this would be an added value and one that demonstrates First Tech cares about work/life balance.

Aug 9, 2017 – Communications Manager

Thank you for reviewing us and for helping our members reach their dreams! Our goal is to be the employer of choice, so we like to focus on providing internal opportunities for career development... More

8. "Financial Solutions Representative"

Current Employee - Financial Solutions Representative in Hillsboro, OR
    Current Employee - Financial Solutions Representative in Hillsboro, OR

I have been working at First Tech Federal Credit Union full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love working for this company. And loving what you do is so important. First Tech is the best company I've ever worked for. They care about work, life, balance which is such a breath of fresh air. The communication is great. They have amazing benefits, and opportunity for growth. My manager schedules time for me to map out my career and shadow departments that I'm possibly interested in.

Cons

The only con I can think of is that I wish we were compensated a little more, especially since minimum wage went up. It feels like new hires make close to what seasoned employees might be making.

Advice to Management

Leadership at my branch is doing an amazing job. Great communication. Keep it up!

Aug 9, 2017 – Communications Manager

Thank you for your review! We’re so excited to hear that you love helping members—because we do too! We strive to create an environment and ongoing opportunities that help you grow professionally and... More

9. "I love First Tech"

Pros

The culture here is amazing. My manager and SVP communicate with me daily, even just to say hello. Our employees are happy and engaging with each other.

Cons

Our site often has trouble recruiting. Some say its our location being so far from downtown. My commute is over 45 minutes but its worth the drive coming to First Tech.

Advice to Management

Improve employee turnover. Improving training resources could help. Processes and procedures should be easily located and be clear/concise.

Aug 15, 2017 – Communications Manager

Thank you for your review! We’re glad to hear that you love being a part of the First Tech family. We pride ourselves on our dynamic culture of respect, friendliness and cross-collaboration. We... More

10. "First Tech Mortgage Closing Associate"

Current Employee - Mortgage Loan Closer in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Mortgage Loan Closer in Beaverton, OR

Pros

This is a company that allows non-retail employees to find a good work-life balance. While they do have fun activities and a lounge with ping pong, etc., it's not because they expect you to live at work. Many non-retail departments enjoy fairly flexible schedules where the employee can determine which hours they would like to work within certain parameters.

Cons

no on-site child care, more options to work from home of non-retail associates

Aug 9, 2017 – Communications Manager

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us on Glassdoor. We pride ourselves on helping both our retail and back office employees strike the home/life balance that’s right for them. Although our... More