FiscalNote Reviews

Updated Jun 30, 2020

3.9
FiscalNote CEO Tim Hwang (no image)
Tim Hwang
Pros
  • "Amazing co-workers - you'll be working with some real smart people who care about their jobs(in 5 reviews)

• "Customer Support and QA teams are top notch (though always at the risk of burning out)(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work/Life balance - but don't join a startup up if you wanted the(in 6 reviews)

• "Growing pains, which are normal for a high-growth startup yet can be a con for individuals who are used to firm structure(in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Exciting + challenging environment, highly competent teams"

Current Employee - Research and Development Team in Washington, DC

I have been working at FiscalNote full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fast growing company that hires extremely well. I have been pleasantly surprised by the competency of everyone I interact with; I genuinely enjoy working with people at this organization. As with any young/high growth organization, there are some normal growing pains but I have found that both management and the teams adapt and address issues quickly.

Cons

People used to working in a larger corporate environment with a lot of instruction may struggle to adapt to the fast paced rhythm; self starters who proactively seek out issues to resolve will do best at FiscalNote.

Continue reading

"Great co-workers, Great mission"

Current Employee - Senior Director, Information Security

I have been working at FiscalNote full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Great co-workers - Compensation is competitive - Late-stage, business model is proven and profitable, well-financed - Management is very accessible - Mission (bringing businesses the right information at the right time) is extremely relevant right now, especially their work on highlighting laws and regulations - Interesting tech stack

Cons

- Churn amongst technical leadership, hopefully they have the right leaders in place now. - Stiff competition that's also high-tech, like them, which in some ways could be a plus as well (technology is viewed as a key to success at the company)

"Growing company with strong executive leadership"

Current Employee - Advisor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at FiscalNote full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great culture, fast paced, constantly innovating

Cons

Some turnovers due to changing environments, but the firm is adapting quickly

Continue reading

"Emerging Market / Exciting Opportunity for Sales Professionals"

Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at FiscalNote full-time for more than a year

Pros

1. Room to grow and develop within the organization. 2. Because the product and target marketplace are always evolving; effective outreach and sales styles are always being discovered. 3. Very collaborative work environment and supportive environment.

Cons

1. Product is challenging and takes time to learn the market -- very humbling environment to work in.

"My First 6 Months with FiscalNote"

Current Employee - Senior Recruiting Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at FiscalNote full-time for less than a year

Pros

My first 6 months with FiscalNote has been a very positive experience starting with a new company. When I first learned that my last company was moving and realizing that I could not move with them, I immediately feared not being able to work with an amazing team in an amazing company. I told myself I was looking for the exact same type of company, so a 6-year old Tech company in DC never crossed my mind initially. To be honest, when I first saw the name FiscalNote, I thought it was a finance company haha. But as I did my due diligence as any recruiter would, and what stood out immediately were the company values. Each of them seemed so logical to me, natural in the workplace, almost obvious. After reviewing the role and the potential of the opportunity, I applied. The interview process was engaging and enlightening and by the end I was more interested than when I started, a sign of a great company and a great recruiting team. I was lucky enough to join FiscalNote and immediately was valued for my input. Like many new starts, it was a bit of a whirlwind, but I was always supported by those around me. And in the first 6 months, I can honestly say that I've had an opportunity to make an impact. I look forward to the second half of my first year and see a lot of potential on the horizon with FiscalNote. -True to their Values. You not only see them visibly on the walls daily, but you see them in the people you interact with every day. More so than any other company culture I have experience in the past. I guess that's why they're confident enough to put them on the walls! -Open and Collaborative work culture & space. The office space is very new-age tech. I always joke that the only doors I can find are to common meetings spaces and the bathrooms haha! Everyone is able to interact with everyone. I can approach any executive simply by walking up to their desk, very cool! -Dedicated and Impassioned Teams. I can honestly say that I haven't met any "Duds" since starting with FiscalNote. Everyone cares! From highly-talented technology professionals that seem to explain complicated tech information in an easy-to-understand way to engaging business development professionals that are always willing to share their insight on the industry and help network you in anyway possible All in All, if you are considering a career move and align with a role at FiscalNote, check them out. They won't disappoint. I believe in honesty and transparency in everything that I do, so when I say that cons at FiscalNote are far and few, I hope you take me at my word. But like any 6-year old company, there are challenges, just like in any company really.

Cons

-Ambiguity. As the company has grown from a 20-person start up to over 450 employees, many processes are still being established and sometimes you may not be totally clear on the next step. But there is always someone to turn too for help, and often you are being asked your option on the best path forward. If you thrive in structure and don't do well thinking outside-the-box, then Fiscalnote may not be for you. But if you like to help shape better processes, enjoy an environment that is continuously improving, and thrive in ambiguity, then you're in the right spot!

Continue reading

"Don't know what they're doing"

2.0
    Former Employee - Staff Writer in Washington, DC

I worked at FiscalNote full-time for more than a year

Pros

Smart people on CQRC editorial team

Cons

Directives from Fiscal Note management ever-changing and unrealistic. Hired investigative team/multimedia help and laid them off 8 months later. Either business plan went horribly wrong or they didn't know what they were doing in the first place. Priorities one month are flipped the next.

"Chaos"

1.0
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Washington, DC

I worked at FiscalNote full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Weekly lunches provided. Nice office location.

Cons

Executives are out of touch with front line sales and they focus on making the numbers look better than they are for investors. Management is inexperienced and they are constantly moving the quota targets so they don't have to pay that much in commissions.

Continue reading

"Great Growth Opportunity, Awesome Colleagues"

I have been working at FiscalNote full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I’ve been with FiscalNote since 2016 (so around 3.5 years at the time of this writing). The consistent benefits that keep work energizing and exciting are the quality and drive of the people I work alongside; the ability to challenging myself and learn something new every day; and the awesome exposure I get to client organizations and other stakeholders who partner with the company to accomplish interesting goals. The company has come a long way since 2016 in many ways, but especially in maturity of process and sheer number of employees. Today, more than ever, the company has very strong leadership at the Senior and Executive levels. This leadership has smoothed out many of the kinks that challenged FiscalNote when it was a younger company and presents a very strong vision for the future. In the time I’ve spent at the company, we have grown from 75 people to around 500. This is a big change. While there have been times of challenge in evolving the culture as the size of the team grows, the culture today is in a great place. There is always room for improvement (which I’ll touch on in the Cons section) but by and large the company has a strong culture that values individual autonomy, rewards good work, and fosters trust and curiosity among employees. The work I do allows me to speak with clients of all types — from boutique government affairs lobbying firms to some of the largest corporations in the world. One of the things I valued really early in my time at FiscalNote is that I was given the trust to engage with very senior client contacts. As somebody beginning their career, it was pretty awesome to receive the trust to lead initiatives and have such a major impact on the company’s direction. The ability to make that impact is something that is still purposefully fostered across the company.

Cons

There are two main challenges I’ve encountered in my work at FiscalNote. First, communication can be siloed at times across teams. This is a perennial challenge for most companies, so it’s not terribly unusual. At times though, it can make inter-department work slow. In most cases, however, everyone is open to collaboration and very happy to help each other. To the maximum extent possible, I think this challenge is largely mitigated through 1:1 relationships — but certainly the company could always improve. The second challenge is that we simply don’t have enough leaders one level removed from the Executive team. This challenge exists due to being selective and because of a competitive job market. This challenge does present an opportunity for those who are at the company and those who join the company to grow into open leadership roles. This growth is something that is actively sought and appropriately recognized by leadership — it is common for someone to be promoted into a leadership role.

"Poorly managed, but very talented pool of people"

Former Employee - Company Driver

I worked at FiscalNote full-time

Pros

Really cool market and get to meet lots of impressive and talented people.

Cons

Management lacks empathy and basic understanding of how to empower and incentivize employees. Limited room for growth. Market is tapped. Terrible culture.

"Still have some things to solve but overall a really great company; great product team now"

Current Employee - Product in Washington, DC

I have been working at FiscalNote full-time for more than a year

Pros

Dedicated employees; Cool office; Company in DC at the heart of tech/politics

Cons

Lot of recent turnover in senior management which is good - new executives seem to have the right skills finally. New VPs in product and marketing seem good. But took a while to get there. Need to make sure any talent pulling the org down is let go faster - not exactly a start up anymore and some of the early people need to move on - what worked in the past to get you here doesn't mean it will work to get to the next level. Everyone needs to pull their weight and add value or they need to be let go.

Found 74 reviews