Formlabs Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.7
Maxim Lobovsky

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • We have catered lunches 3x week, and 100% paid for health insurance (in 18 reviews)

• Employees are encouraged to explore their own interests through free 3D printing as well as shop resources (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • There seems to be growing pains - which is pretty typical of a company this size at this point (in 20 reviews)

• It can sometimes be difficult maintaining a work/life balance (in 10 reviews)

1. "The best place to make a impactful career!"

I have been working at Formlabs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very exciting products, a colorful and highly ambitious team, very flat hierarchy and plenty of room for personal growth!

Cons

A very high paced working environment due to fast growth and industry challenges! Not exactly a negative aspect, but something you should be ready for.

"Great Place to Work at for a Year or Two and Then Graduate to Work at a Real Company"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Formlabs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great opportunities to learn and undertake new endeavors. You can do as much or as little as you want so self-driven people have all of the opportunity they want.
    - Lots of responsibilites for people 0-5 years out of college
    - Great opportunity to work with extremely bright, talented, and smart individuals
    - Products are very interesting to work on and have lots of opportunity to innovate and work on exciting areas in several engineering disciplines.

Cons

- Safety, equipment, and facilities are a joke. For a hardware company, it is surprising that every effort is made to spend as little money on facilities and equipment as possible.
    - Pay is 10-25% below market rate. Excuses range from "we're a startup" to "this is what you deserve." While this may work short term eventually it will catchup (and has resulted in several quality people leaving).
    - Very difficult to advance within the company. Even when responsibilities change, salary, compensation, and title do not follow suit.
    - Company leadership is immature and selective in who and what is listened to. Easy for people to slip under the radar and not work on things they don't want to. Leaders are often very smart but lack any leadership/management experience.
    - Formlabs likes to say they are "weird" which serves as an excuse for a range of things from underpaying people to silly events to other 'startup' actions (and asking employees repeatedly to leave positive reviews on here).
    - Several people who are 'grandfathered' in to leadership roles. Likely not the best person(s) for the job but are there to stay.

Advice to Management

Right now, Formlabs is realistically a place people generally will work for 1-3 years and then move on to a better paying, more mature company or opportunity (i.e. graduating). Much needs to change in order to retain and attract talent. Hardware companies have and will continue to lure great talent away otherwise. Hopefully things will change.

"Great company, burnout high"

I worked at Formlabs full-time

Pros

Infectious enthusiasm, wonderful work environment, and people cared about you and how you were.

Cons

Separation of work life from personal life was hard to do. Managing staff were sometimes under-experienced, and with the rapid growth of the company there are growing pains.

Advice to Management

Just keep striving to not have your employees have burnout. Everyone loves the company, but works too hard and it can be hard to move up.

"Be careful..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerville, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerville, MA

I have been working at Formlabs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People people people. Really fun group. Unlimited vacation is great, food at work will make you full all the time. Lots of 3d printers to play with. You can learn a lot here. The people are the biggest pro by far. Everyone is really nice and insanely smart. This is a great place to be if you want to work with some very smart folks. The hours in some departments are super flexible (mostly in engineering, sales and customer facing roles are more structured).

Cons

-Notice that a lot of these reviews come in spurts. That is because Formlabs has someone email the company/go around asking for reviews. "We can win an award if we get so many reviews blah blah blah". These reviews are not organic.
    -Notice that many of the reviews are written by people who have been with the company for less than a year. They haven't seen the repeated issues.
    -Pay is low.
    -Very nepotistic at the top.
    -If you don't have a manager that campaigns for you, good luck.
    -Limited/inconsistent opportunities for mentorship and real growth.
    -A good place for a few years out of college, but might not be the best long term career.
    -CEO is super chummy with some folks, and gruff with the majority.

Advice to Management

Grow up, again grow up. You can't be a scrappy startup forever. No need to reinvent every wheel. Spending money (or a lot of money) on things to make people's jobs easier is not a bad idea.

Formlabs Response

Aug 11, 2017 – Community Manager

Thank you for the detailed feedback. We do read every review that comes through Glassdoor and it's important to us to know where we excel, and where we need to improve. Our recent internal survey has... More

"Great Workplace"

Current Employee - Customer Care in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Customer Care in Boston, MA

I have been working at Formlabs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free food, very intelligent co-workers, ability to create amazing things with an amazing product.

Cons

None thus far. I've heard complaints of difficulty moving upwards.

Advice to Management

More structure while scaling is key.

6. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Customer Support in Somerville, MA
    Current Employee - Customer Support in Somerville, MA

I have been working at Formlabs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's wonderful to work with fun, motivated, and smart people. Every day I discover one of my coworkers has a hidden, quirky skill or hobby. There is always something new and interesting happening in the industry. It is a great place to work just out of school since you can get involved with a variety of projects and decide where you would like to build skills and progress professionally. As a person who needs a little structure, Formlabs creates the perfect mix between a startup and an established, stable company.

Cons

Formlabs is growing really fast (which is great) but there are some growing pains. It's sometimes difficult to identify and keep track of new Formlings. At times, it's difficult to communicate effectively between departments but once you get a couple friends in a department, it's easy to get the information you need. If you like to take initiative and be involved in awesome things, the cons become less important.

Advice to Management

Keep the good work and continue to take feedback from employees.

7. "Great Culture, Competitive pay all around good"

Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer

I have been working at Formlabs full-time

Pros

Nice people, flexible time schedule, love to work here

Cons

I do not yet have any complaints working here

8. "Engineer"

Current Employee - Engineer in Somerville, MA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Somerville, MA

I have been working at Formlabs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Tons of latitude and self direction on impactful. Engineers are trusted with important decisions and you have lots of room to grow and increase your impact on some really exciting projects.

Cons

I really have no serious cons. I love working here. Growing really fast is hard and we can feel that sometimes.

9. "Love my job"

Current Employee - Manufacturing in Somerville, MA
    Current Employee - Manufacturing in Somerville, MA

I have been working at Formlabs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Forward thinking inclusive environment
    -Encouraged creativity and problem solving

Cons

-Can be tough to find a parking spot

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you do.

10. "Awesome place to be"

I have been working at Formlabs full-time

Pros

Casual environment, catered lunches, reasonable hours, snacks and drinks galore.

Cons

Not for the passive person, initiative is a requirement.