Formlabs Reviews | Glassdoor

4.6
Formlabs CEO Maxim Lobovsky
Maxim Lobovsky

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • We have catered lunches 3x week, and 100% paid for health insurance (in 19 reviews)

• Employees are encouraged to explore their own interests through free 3D printing as well as shop resources (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • There seems to be growing pains - which is pretty typical of a company this size at this point (in 19 reviews)

• It can sometimes be difficult maintaining a work/life balance (in 9 reviews)

1. "This really is the best place to worl"

I have been working at Formlabs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Room for growth.
    - Opportunity to work on projects you wouldn't have the chance to touch elsewhere.
    - Working for a company with an amazing mission, and an astonishing product.
    - Awesome culture, great teams. Super collaborative, fun, challenging, and everyone at Formlabs is incredibly intelligent and creative.
    - You work on projects where you can make a direct impact.
    - Just the right amount of autonomy.
    - We can bring our dogs to work and we get catering 3x per week.

Cons

- Location: We're not that close to the T. But we are close to fish tacos.

Advice to Management

Please don't stop what you're doing. I've learned so much in my time here already, and genuinely look forward to coming to work.

"Generally Good Benefits"

Current Employee - Services in Somerville, MA
    Current Employee - Services in Somerville, MA

I have been working at Formlabs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Good people. I've met some of my best friends here.
    - Flexible Schedule (mostly)
    - No official PTO days, generally employees are trusted to be smart about vacation and get work done
    - Health/Dental insurance
    - Catered lunches/food
    - Interesting products

Cons

- Managers that are not trained to manage, and maybe didn't expect to be managing
    - Career advancement is seemingly impossible and paths are murky at best
    - 'Flat' structure impedes progress with career advancement and creates confusion when it comes to performance reviews and feedback
    - Salaries are low (in many cases barely livable in the city it's located in), and upper management seems extremely out of touch about it
    - Nepotistic at the upper management level
    - 'Unlimited' vacation, but culture seems to discourage actually taking any
    - Services' hours are more structured and reasonable, but I see my friends in engineering roles burning themselves out with the pressure of needing to put in 60+ hours a week to get ahead in the 'meritocracy'

"Great place to work for the most part"

I have been working at Formlabs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

So much freedom! Do your work and do it well. That's the only requirement. Ample vacation time, decent benefits, great people.

Cons

Growth is difficult. Management isn't trained in leading people. Upper management is pretty isolated and are very out of touch in terms of compensation, cost of living, what people want once the allure of free food wears off, etc.

Advice to Management

Invest in good leadership! Stop trying to go at 100mph all the time.

4. "Great company to work for -- changing quickly"

Current Employee - Sales in Somerville, MA
    Current Employee - Sales in Somerville, MA

I have been working at Formlabs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Incredibly intelligent group of young people working towards a common goal. Great benefits and work flexibility along with a fun office environment (if you like informal open layouts). Nearly every employee is from a different background, both education wise and previous work experience.

Cons

The company is changing extremely quickly. We've more than doubled in size in the last year and as a result, not all infrastructure is keeping up with this. The office is somewhat cramped (although we're getting more space soon). Growth targets are very aggressive which isn't a bad thing, but be ready to work hard to reach them with little direction or guidance.

"Great Place to Work at for a Year or Two and Then Graduate to Work at a Real Company"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Formlabs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great opportunities to learn and undertake new endeavors. You can do as much or as little as you want so self-driven people have all of the opportunity they want.
    - Lots of responsibilites for people 0-5 years out of college
    - Great opportunity to work with extremely bright, talented, and smart individuals
    - Products are very interesting to work on and have lots of opportunity to innovate and work on exciting areas in several engineering disciplines.

Cons

- Safety, equipment, and facilities are a joke. For a hardware company, it is surprising that every effort is made to spend as little money on facilities and equipment as possible.
    - Pay is 10-25% below market rate. Excuses range from "we're a startup" to "this is what you deserve." While this may work short term eventually it will catchup (and has resulted in several quality people leaving).
    - Very difficult to advance within the company. Even when responsibilities change, salary, compensation, and title do not follow suit.
    - Company leadership is immature and selective in who and what is listened to. Easy for people to slip under the radar and not work on things they don't want to. Leaders are often very smart but lack any leadership/management experience.
    - Formlabs likes to say they are "weird" which serves as an excuse for a range of things from underpaying people to silly events to other 'startup' actions (and asking employees repeatedly to leave positive reviews on here).
    - Several people who are 'grandfathered' in to leadership roles. Likely not the best person(s) for the job but are there to stay.

Advice to Management

Right now, Formlabs is realistically a place people generally will work for 1-3 years and then move on to a better paying, more mature company or opportunity (i.e. graduating). Much needs to change in order to retain and attract talent. Hardware companies have and will continue to lure great talent away otherwise. Hopefully things will change.

Formlabs Response

Oct 11, 2017 – People Operations

Thank you for the honest feedback. We know we have things to improve here at Formlabs, and creating a company where people can grow and make a lifetime career for themselves is something we think... More

6. "The best place to make a impactful career!"

I have been working at Formlabs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very exciting products, a colorful and highly ambitious team, very flat hierarchy and plenty of room for personal growth!

Cons

A very high paced working environment due to fast growth and industry challenges! Not exactly a negative aspect, but something you should be ready for.

"Great company, burnout high"

I worked at Formlabs full-time

Pros

Infectious enthusiasm, wonderful work environment, and people cared about you and how you were.

Cons

Separation of work life from personal life was hard to do. Managing staff were sometimes under-experienced, and with the rapid growth of the company there are growing pains.

Advice to Management

Just keep striving to not have your employees have burnout. Everyone loves the company, but works too hard and it can be hard to move up.

"Be careful..."

I have been working at Formlabs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People people people. Really fun group. Unlimited vacation is great, food at work will make you full all the time. Lots of 3d printers to play with. You can learn a lot here. The people are the biggest pro by far. Everyone is really nice and insanely smart. This is a great place to be if you want to work with some very smart folks. The hours in some departments are super flexible (mostly in engineering, sales and customer facing roles are more structured).

Cons

-Notice that a lot of these reviews come in spurts. That is because Formlabs has someone email the company/go around asking for reviews. "We can win an award if we get so many reviews blah blah blah". These reviews are not organic.
    -Notice that many of the reviews are written by people who have been with the company for less than a year. They haven't seen the repeated issues.
    -Pay is low.
    -Very nepotistic at the top.
    -If you don't have a manager that campaigns for you, good luck.
    -Limited/inconsistent opportunities for mentorship and real growth.
    -A good place for a few years out of college, but might not be the best long term career.
    -CEO is super chummy with some folks, and gruff with the majority.

Advice to Management

Grow up, again grow up. You can't be a scrappy startup forever. No need to reinvent every wheel. Spending money (or a lot of money) on things to make people's jobs easier is not a bad idea.

Formlabs Response

Aug 11, 2017 – Community Manager

Thank you for the detailed feedback. We do read every review that comes through Glassdoor and it's important to us to know where we excel, and where we need to improve. Our recent internal survey has... More

"Smart, fun, kind, hard-working colleagues. Low pay. Difficult to grow a career."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerville, MA

I have been working at Formlabs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Real opportunities to build the future of manufacturing and production
    * 3D printing is really cool
    * Coworkers are fun, smart, kind, and hardworking (my coworkers are really awesome)
    * Challenging work combined with lots of autonomy
    * If you have an idea, you can run with it/ make it happen
    * Experimental ethos
    * Eclectic work culture
    * Work is rarely boring

Cons

* Low pay (Boston is an expensive city, and I'm dismayed by the below market salaries, especially for colleagues who work in non-engineering functions)
    * Young company/ culture is in flux
    * Slow to address the needs of employees
    * Growing/ scaling pains
    * Culture conducive to burnout
    * HR is slow to meet the real needs of employees (re fair/competitive compensation and meaningful opportunities for professional development)

Advice to Management

* Pay people fairly for their work
    * Provide more concrete opportunities for career growth within the company and external professional development opportunities
    * It'd be great to see more diversity in senior leadership and mgmt roles
    * I've been seeing good people leaving recently and am worried more good people will leave for opportunities that offer better compensation/ professional development because they can't get that at Formlabs. Please take more care to retain good people

"Great Workplace"

Current Employee - Customer Care in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Customer Care in Boston, MA

I have been working at Formlabs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free food, very intelligent co-workers, ability to create amazing things with an amazing product.

Cons

None thus far. I've heard complaints of difficulty moving upwards.

Advice to Management

More structure while scaling is key.