Formlabs Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Formlabs CEO Maxim Lobovsky
Maxim Lobovsky

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "perks (unlimited printing, catered lunches mwf, open vacation) are just a cherry on top" (in 23 reviews)

• "Employees are encouraged to explore their own interests through free 3D printing as well as shop resources" (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • "some growing pains, but growth definitely isn't a con" (in 23 reviews)

• "It can sometimes be difficult maintaining a work/life balance" (in 9 reviews)

1. "Challenging but Rewarding Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerville, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerville, MA

I have been working at Formlabs full-time

Pros

- full transparency into why certain practices are in place
    - open to different experiences & recommendations
    - constantly being challenged to take on more & grow professionally
    - catered lunch 3x a week
    - fantastic health care & HR benefits
    - smart, curious co-workers

Cons

- would like to see professional development for staff - ie, management trainings.
    - not necessarily a con, but experiences vary, mostly being junior with a ton of potential. Looking for some more guidance from senior leadership with wealth of experience

Hello!

Thanks for your review! We're glad that you're enjoying the challenges & rewards of working here at Formlabs :) Professional development is a big focus area for POPS in the next 6 months... More

"Formlabs deserves a little more love than some of these comments"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerville, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerville, MA

I worked at Formlabs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The community at Formlabs is unlike anywhere else I've worked, and since day one I've felt nothing but welcome at the company - which makes a real difference in your attitude coming to work every day. The people continue to be the best part about Formlabs.

I disagree with the comments below that say that Formlabs is not a company to grow at. I do think there is tremendous opportunity to grow at Formlabs. The company is growing at a very fast rate (and certainly not without its pains) but with that brings advancement opportunities and new roles/projects to explore. One thing that was always consistent during my time at Formlabs was the vast opportunity to try new things. These could be things related or unrelated to your role, but exploration and growth is not only supported, but encouraged.

+ really awesome product that everyone is passionate about

Cons

Each of the departments run very differently, which provides better experiences to some over others. There should be more consistency across the company.

Disorganized - lots of chaos. It kind of works, but it kind of doesn't.

Compensation - this is obviously a trend among the other comments and is one of the top complaints amongst employees

Advice to Management

Act with more urgency! The people at Formlabs are awesome - keep it that way and don't lose them.

A lot of people don't realize how much work is being done behind the scenes to make improvements, and they feel they are not being heard. Make it more clear that you are listening through more transparency and action.

"casual atmosphere masks lack of organization"

I have been working at Formlabs full-time

Pros

- lunch 3 days a week
    - no dress code, relaxed atmosphere
    - social events
    - product is awesome

Cons

- obvious hiring biases typical of startup/techbro companies (gender, race, age)
    - 'we want to hear what you think!' then doesn't resolve notorious complaints
    - drinking culture is problematic and alienating (off-site parties might as well be frat parties)
    - failure to plan

Advice to Management

being smart is like, a prerequisite to work at formlabs, so don't talk down to your employees. don't do town halls if you're notgonna answer the questions people are asking. don't do surveys if you're not gonna remedy what people complain about. don't be fake.

"Fun place to work for a short period of time."

I worked at Formlabs full-time

Pros

Fun perks like free meals, classes, and cool presentations
    Flexible hours + schedule (within reason)
    Freedom to work on projects you enjoy
    Culture encourages learning and community
    Good professional development (if you take a strong initiative)

Cons

High turnover
    Very bro-style tech culture (not always a friendly environment for women)
    Overworked management
    Very little mentorship
    Generally low salaries

Jun 22, 2018 – People Operations

Hello! I'm glad that you enjoyed your time at Formlabs overall, and found the culture to be focused on learning + investigating new ideas. This is something that we're proud of and are working to... More

"Anonymous"

I have been working at Formlabs full-time

Pros

Unlimited vacation, freedom to try new ideas, work with smart people

Cons

The company is struggling to keep the startup culture being in a 300+ people size. The company is also losing increasing number of talents to other companies.

Advice to Management

The management should think about why we are losing people, and take this issue seriously. An anonymous survey is probably more helpful to get the true feedback from employees.

Jun 22, 2018 – People Operations

Hi there - thanks for sharing your feedback here! We're glad that you've resonated with our ethos of working together to try new ideas. As we continue to grow, maintaining the culture + people that... More

"full of potential"

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Formlabs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- startup benefits: food, coffee, dogs, social events, town halls

- life benefits: full health coverage, unlimited PTO, flexible hours (when your work is done, which comes with long hours. I don't expect this to last forever but could be wrong)

day to day culture at Formlabs is great, no "trapped" feeling like you might experience at a larger company. People are not only friendly, but likely graduates from reputable programs with interesting stories and experience. Overall it's easy to find intelligent and amicable co-workers across all teams.

products, technology, and innovations are incredible. Things move very quickly. You're never the smartest person in the room.

Cons

- Managerial practice varies considerably between teams, ranging from non-existent to inextricably involved. There are cases where less-than-ideal candidates are handed responsibility that is not sensible, or may be better suited for someone else.

- "Growth" is a relative term at Formlabs, where the company's initiatives often supersede an individual's aspirations. Hiring is done so rapidly that your replacement is usually on hand if necessary.

- worker compensation that remains significantly under market value. Basic work/life benefits, stock options, and chain of command are used to obscure the obvious fact that employees are underpaid, plain and simple.

Advice to Management

Direct internal changes within the company and teams based on what your employees ask. Understand when the scrappy, laissez faire startup mentality has run its course and clear definition of roles, project accountability, and worker potential should take its place

Formlabs is no longer a garage operation. It cannot be expected for worker motivation to solely lie in an entrepreneurial spirit and stock value of the company. People need clearly defined responsibility, ACTUAL growth transparency, recognition (for better or worse), career guidance, and acceptable and competitive compensation.

How do requests reach the final decision makers? Are there lenses between that might affect the outcome? Actions speak louder than words.

Hi there!

Thanks for writing such a detailed review - we really appreciate the time you took to share your honest & thoughtful input. We're glad you're excited about the culture & people... More

"Not a company to grow at"

I worked at Formlabs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Fun people
    -Extracurricular activities are fun
    -Interesting product
    -potential to be a solid company

Cons

-Terribly low pay for any company, let alone a company in Boston
    -Management is truly a joke to the point that people who should probably never have subordinates are leading teams
    -Not merit based
    -CEO should be an engineer and stay out of running a business, truly has no ability to build clout or have interpersonal functions
    -Pay distribution is quite hilarious. Upper level receives large pay while everyone else is left far below market value and they do not care as inflow of talent is seemingly endless
    -Disorganized
    -You are no longer a startup, quit using it as an excuse to cut corners

Advice to Management

-Hire real management and pay your people to do the job or going public will only ever be a dream

Jun 29, 2018 – People Operations

Hi there - thanks for sharing your feedback! Even when it’s tough to hear, we value everyone's thoughts & want to know how we can improve. I'm sorry that you didn't feel like Formlabs was a place you... More

8. "Good company for early career opportunity seekers"

I have been working at Formlabs full-time

Pros

- Fast growing company
    - Tangible product, with a real impact in the world
    - Great co-workers
    - A lot of opportunity to learn from a broad set of teams - everyone is willing to share with everyone else.

Cons

- Compensation is poor
    - Limited opportunity for growth above mid-level
    - Communication is a major pain point, as a result of disorganization

Jun 6, 2018 – People Operations

Hi there - thanks for sharing your thoughts about Formlabs! We're glad that you're enjoying the ride & the impact you're making here. Your thoughts for improvement are spot-on with what other... More

"Don't Drink the Kool Aid"

Former Employee - Engineer in Somerville, MA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Somerville, MA

I worked at Formlabs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Typical startup benefits.
     Free lunch three times a week
    paid benefits
    work activities
    make your own hours
    dogs at work
    access to a well equipped makerspace 24/7

Cons

Disorganization to the point where there is no accountability. Even in management it is difficult to do hold anyone accountable.

The opportunities and raises and bonuses are lies, and are only reserved for the heads of each department/PHD's, regardless of the additional work you do or impact you have on the product. Management is nepotistic, as echoed in previous reviews, leaving no real advancement opportunities available.

Ostracism. If you disagree with the formlabs way, suggest something better, express discontent, or "go against the grain" to accomplish things more efficiently, you will simply be ostracized.

Very relaxed attitude towards safety. There were many complaints that went unresolved despite being reported to the safety officer, management, and ultimately OSHA, then the company pretended like they had no idea what went wrong or why.

Pay well below the area average. Management tries to goad you into working there by pushing the idea of stock options and free health insurance, but if you've worked at startups before, you will know that these benefits have become pretty commonplace and are not worth such a huge pay cut.

Work overload. Poor scheduling and disorganization make everything constantly feel like that last minute rush.Procurement issues are rampant, no one is to be held accountable, leading the lower level guys to work constantly to try to make up for the deficit. When this is brought up to management, they respond by asking you to work more hours, even if you've already worked over 40 hours that week.

Parking. There simply isn't enough.

Lastly, Formlabs distributes emails to encourage their employees to leave positive reviews on Glassdoor in order to "win cool awards" and appeal to more prospective employees.

There was a recent string of very good talent leaving the company for better prospects, and no effort at retention was made. Everyone is disposable to the company. Very little actual talent stays longer than 1-3 years.

Advice to Management

Accountability, structure, periodic reviews, goals, employee development, fair compensation, employee retention, and proper management should not be foreign terms to leadership. Leadership should not just consist of people that have been at the company since the beginning or the CEOs friends. Much of the leadership needs to be moved into purely technical roles, as that's where they excell, and outside experienced leaders and managers should be brought in to help organize things and give employees some real value from the company.

Jun 15, 2018 – People Operations

I'm disappointed to hear that you had such a bad experience working at Formlabs. Formlabs is not for everyone, but no one should leave with such a negative feeling about their time here. We've made a... More

10. "Career and industry game changer"

I have been working at Formlabs full-time

Pros

You will get to work some of the most incredible people in industry. Our products are amazing, our teams are amazing, and our work environment is amazing.

Cons

Not really a con for the right person, but you have to think outside of the box and be ready to hit the ground running.

Jun 6, 2018 – People Operations

Hi there - thanks for your thoughts! We're glad you're enjoying the people you work with & the work you're doing. Thinking outside of the box is something we love about Formlings :)

Please... More