Four Winds Interactive Reviews

Updated May 7, 2020

3.1
Four Winds Interactive CEO David Levin (no image)
David Levin
Pros
  • "My last 5 years with FWI have been evolutionary for my career(in 25 reviews)

• "great culture, great people, exciting future(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "No company is perfect but FWI does a great job listening to employees and does their best to make people feel valued(in 17 reviews)

• "Like every company, there are growing pains especially with new funding and process changes(in 9 reviews)

"Great place, great people"

5.0
    Current Employee - Developer

I have been working at Four Winds Interactive full-time for more than a year

Pros

Transparent and accessible management, casual atmosphere, inclusive/welcoming environment, flexible vacation policy. The people here are almost exclusively kind and happy. Also, management is truly concerned with the happiness of the employees, and that's not common.

Cons

My only complaint is that the health plan could be better. It's a pretty big deductible for a family. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Four Winds Interactive2019-08-16

Four Winds Interactive Response

September 26, 2019Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your review! We pride ourselves as a people-first company and will certainly take your suggestion into consideration as we plan for 2020. We are always soliciting employee feedback to improve our benefit plans and we continually work with our vendors to provide competitive benefits.

"Great People/Environment"

Current Employee - Designer in Denver, CO

I have been working at Four Winds Interactive full-time for more than a year

Pros

Love the people I work with. This has been a wonderful company to start out my career. The people I work with genuinely care and want to achieve great things together.

Cons

With the Vista partnership, there have been a lot of changes. It's been a bit of whiplash trying to roll with the new changes and policies.

Four Winds Interactive2020-05-07
  3. "“A mess as of writing this, but there was a lot of good as well. Uncertain of future conditions”"

2.0
    Former Employee - Software Developer II in Denver, CO

I worked at Four Winds Interactive full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-You learn a lot at the beginning -Majority of co-workers are great to work with -Pays well with a little experience -Benefits are pretty good (as of writing this) -Work from home/remote -My initial first few years were great, but it started going downhill (and rapidly) in the last year or so. My situation was a bit unique though so I do not recommend basing any decisions of my review alone. -Promotion money is very good, raises between roles are not (see cons) -A con would be that we are tracked (metric wise) for code pushes, but the reason this is a pro is because to the end of my time there they did not seem to hold it over any ones head and kept their word that it was just for 'overall group' performance, and not to scrutinize someone. I do have to applaud them for it. -Not too many people are all about the jargon (for developers) and using the latest and greatest. There are some, but I imagine that's the case anywhere. So it's not too bad.

Cons

-Generally feels like people WANT to do good (developers), but sometimes can't. Either because of the sprints or because of too tight of a schedule. Doesn't really feel like a lot of creative freedom in that sense in development. -Changes are sometimes introduced that are not easily ported from one platform to another. And there is little consulting with the other platforms prior to introduction. (My situation was a bit unique, so I would not let this one be too discouraging from my review alone) -Does feel more corporate now (acquired by Vista). So there are raise caps and such now. Which is fine, a company needs to be profitable after all. So not a major complaint. -People outside of your department tend to 'appear to listen', but don't really actually appear to listen? Or maybe they're just powerless to address actual concerns (even at the very top?). So take everything with a grain of salt. You start to catch on pretty quick that acknowledgements of your concerns don't really translate to actual changes or action items on anyone's parts. -Health benefits leave a little to be desired. But HSA is nice -A lot of management managing management (which I know is essential for larger corporations), but it just feels like a lot gets lost in communication. It may be that some people have too much sway or too little sway. Maybe someone above is getting micromanaged and denied creative control over products. It's hit or miss with your managers on dev side. You really gotta push for what you think is essential). -Some dev environments are incredibly unstable (like the ones other dev-teams rely on). I am not necessarily blaming the developers as it might be a result of tight deadlines and too much packed into those deadlines. Most people I speak to are hard working and have good intentions on the developer side, but maybe don't have the resources (time) they need. It did seem like this was getting better when I left, but it's hard to tell if it'll stay that way. Comes back around to possible poor management somewhere in the hierarchy. I could not speak for their teams, only an impression. -Promotions are pretty much on a time track. If you start Junior, you'll be a Standard D in 2 years. Then you'll be level 2 in 2 years. And then in 2-3 you'll be a Senior developer. The money is great for those promotions, however. Between those promotions it is now capped at a low % (likely because of Vista). -C-suite seems somewhat unstable. -Hiring internally seems oddly lacking. Sometimes not, sometimes it does. -We have a software architect, but I'm not sure what they actually do (my position is unique I want to remind you, so maybe the product I worked on was not a consideration). -Sometimes there appear to be jobs that you wonder what their actual role is, but that's not entirely fair since I don't actually watch them. They may actually be useful positions. -There are some strange 'success' metrics used (which I believe are primarily for sales) that we were originally considered for as well. But they were complete garbage in my opinion. -Could probably use some more code reviews to ensure stability. And I mean actual code reviews, not '1 line gets 1 hour', but a '300 line change gets one minute because I can't be bothered'. Might relieve some of the instability in some code bases. -Some people like to pull tech words so far out of the void that it baffles me. You don't have a lot of these people which is nice, but there are some who are all about the latest (and greatest in their opinion). So Jargon, etc. -They did have a big round of layoffs (I was not a part of them). Things were going downhill before that. I would take some of the heated reviews mentioning it with a grain of salt. Not that I think the points are all invalid, but some exaggerate a lot. One mentioned 'firing and then rehiring', but there are very little rehires/hires going on at the time. There were definitely some and it felt like a 'fire the expensive people, hire cheaper', but it was not as widespread. Development teams have not seen many (if any) significant new hires as far as I'm aware. Maybe some. But I could be wrong as well.

Four Winds Interactive2020-04-06

"Good development"

Former Employee - BDR in Denver, CO

I worked at Four Winds Interactive full-time

Pros

Great atmosphere and training was positive.

Cons

Slow hiring process, limited commission.

Four Winds Interactive2020-03-18

"Overworked and Underpaid"

1.0
    Former Employee - Customer Success Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Four Winds Interactive full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Your peers and that is all.

Cons

Up until the Vista Acquisition and a new leadership I loved my job. As of 2019 not much good to be said about this company. If you join this company, specifically the Customer Success Organization you will be overworked, underpaid, and unappreciated. The company laid off nearly 10% of employees most of who had been there 4+ years and they replaced everyone they laid off at a cheaper cost. FWI does not value anyone below the management level at this organization. Management has no clue what is going on and does not appreciate the amount of hours the employees pour into their work. The culture is good, not great. The people are amazing which is important as your peers will be the only ones who take time to train you or care about your success at the organization. Upper management is in meetings 24/7 and honestly are to busy to even notice the amount of work/contribution that their teams are providing to the customers and the organization. HR as many other mentioned is 100% worthless, the politics at FWI are horrible and they don't care about their people and in most cases won't even give you the time of day to listen about your concerns. If you join the CS organization you will learn a lot and build your resume to move on to better opportunities. If you are liked you could be successful. Otherwise your head is on the chopping block and my advise would be to keep other opportunities open.

Four Winds Interactive2020-03-26

"Overworked, Underpaid and Underappreciated."

1.0
    Former Employee - Customer Success Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Four Winds Interactive full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people, great group of people to work with with the exception of management.

Cons

Underpaid and underappreciated. Management has no clue what real customer success looks like and it was getting worse when I left.

Four Winds Interactive2020-03-24

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Denver, CO

I have been working at Four Winds Interactive full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great People and Leaders, fun environment, cool product

Cons

Constant Change, slightly micro managed

Four Winds Interactive2019-12-11

"Great culture if you're interested in technology"

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Coordinator

I have been working at Four Winds Interactive full-time for more than a year

Pros

great culture, great people, exciting future

Cons

the day to day can be a bit boring

Four Winds Interactive2019-11-11

"Really great place... minus Vista"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Denver, CO

I have been working at Four Winds Interactive full-time for more than a year

Pros

Amazing people. Super cool product, with adoption at just about any big name organization you can think of. Literally so proud to walk around in public and see the product in use, effectively. The office is nice, and decent work/life balance.

Cons

The Vista acquisition makes me very nervous. I don't want to become a sales robot like the other Vista companies have turned their sales teams into. Health insurance has incredibly high deductible. Very much an inside sales job, with a little bit of travel.

Four Winds Interactive2019-10-19

"Love the People"

Current Employee - Solutions Consultant in Denver, CO

I have been working at Four Winds Interactive full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

FWI has great culture and community.

Cons

Change is frequent. Leadership doesn't give anything a chance to succeed before making additional changes.

Four Winds Interactive2019-10-10