Four Winds Interactive Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.8
David Levin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great culture and company values that promotes a healthy work life balance (in 6 reviews)

• Extremely fast paced company with a true software company type culture (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is growing, and with growth comes growing pains (in 8 reviews)

• The company has incurred a lot of technical debt because upper management has too often overruled the product and development teams (in 6 reviews)

1. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at Four Winds Interactive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Flexible work schedule
    - Engaged employees
    - All Star leadership team
    - Great location and office space
    - Truly dedicated to employee development and retention
    - Fun Fridays and other company events that promote a great culture

Cons

- Can feel hectic at times, a non-stop stream of work across all departments

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, keeping employees in front of mind and driving the company to future growth

2. "UX Design"

I have been working at Four Winds Interactive full-time

Pros

Love the design management team. Lots of interesting problems to solve and there's novelty working on large screens. Current software is showing it's age, but that means design opportunity there as well.

Cons

Benefits are not great, but they are headed in the right direction.

Advice to Management

Stay modern.

3. "Operations"

Current Employee - Operations in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Operations in Denver, CO

I have been working at Four Winds Interactive full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture and company values that promotes a healthy work life balance. The people are great, smart and collaborative. The technology is industry leading and continues to outpace competition.

Cons

FWI is in a fast paced industry with a high rate of growth. Changes can happen quickly to keep up with the demand.

Advice to Management

Continue to provide a clear vision and transparency

"The place you go to get experience, the place you leave to advance further"

Former Employee - Operations in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Operations in Denver, CO

I worked at Four Winds Interactive full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

FWI is a great place for people to get their feet soaked into some great technology and really learn how a software company works, get used to how business flows are.

The people are very collaborative and the environment fosters strong working relationships where (with some exceptions in sales people) every works as a team to solve any issue a client might have.

Development for early career is great. Note I said early career. I'll note why it's not so hot for mid career later.

The software and platform is exciting and expanding. Visual Communications is going to be a gigantic industry sooner rather than later.

Employee Fun- This company's efforts to engage people in fun activities both in and out of work is amazing. Their Fun Committee (yeah they have one of this) works hard to keep those activities organized and awesome.

Wellness- FWI does everything it can to engage employees in wellness related activities. From holiday events, to spring events, to marathons in summer and fall, along with a killer workout center with full service showers and rooms, FWI does extremely well here. The mother's room/meditation room also provides employees a spot on site to get away which is especially great during colder months and days.

Cons

Benefits- You'll see people report the benefits are great. And FWI does engage in good Wellness programs, the health care coverage is quite frankly, lacking. This is a missed opportunity for FWI. They can and need to do better here.

Employee Churn- For the last few years at FWI, it seemed like the company regularly lost workers instead of engaging them and handling their needs. This unfortunately puts the company at a disadvantage when it comes to who knows what, and creates fire drills when legacy set-ups go bonkers.

Pay- Bottom line, FWI pays under market in most categories. This is because I do not believe they really know what a particular position is worth in the open market. Sadly this is a reason for employee churn and an area of opportunity for them.

Career Development/Advancement- Young leaders, new managers have a lot good opportunity to grow and learn here. Leaders at higher levels in the organization seem to be stagnant in their growth. Day to day, people leaders are able to get away to go to leadership trainings, senior and executive leadership not so much.

Advice to Management

Value your employees more. You need less leaders and more foot soldiers to get the day to day done. Find a sales process and stick to it. Find repeatable easy solutions and sell them en masse (i.e. repeated menu boards for fast serve restaurants where you get 30-100 locations) versus always going for the elite fancy looking account.

Those accounts are great, and look great on the website and sales demos, etc. but your best and biggest money comes from those repeated solutions.

Do not forgot to renew and refresh your senior and executive leaders. Get them off site for trainings and seminars if nothing other than to give them a break from the day to day.

You say you have a fast paced, fast growth environment. Don't forget while doing that, that everyone, including executives need a break from time to time.

5. "Great!"

I have been working at Four Winds Interactive full-time

Pros

I have been at FWI for 2 months and it has been a great experience. The culture is very positive and the leadership team has a clear vision for the future.

Cons

A growing company is a growing company and as expected change can be the norm.

6. "An amazing journey that's only getting started"

I have been working at Four Winds Interactive full-time

Pros

I've worked at FWI for nearly 8 years. Through that time, I've watched it grow from a passionate, yet disorganized collection of scrappy upstarts to a stable, powerful organization that is going to make waves over the next decade. Over those 8 years, I've had many moments that caused me to question whether it was time to move on; from where I stand today, I'm so thankful that I hung in there and can now experience this new generation. FWI gets better every single day.

* Unparalleled group of coworkers, both professionally and personally
    * A culture that focuses on its employees' complete wellness: job-related, financial, work/life balance, and more
    * Opportunity to work in every industry (and major companies in those industries)
    * Engaging, exciting product that is getting better all the time
    * The most potent leadership team the company has ever had – there isn't a weak link in that group
    * One of the coolest HQs ever
    * Company is privately funded; no outside firms control its direction
    * Pay and benefits have really ramped up to competitive levels over the past 2 years
    * Corporate values that aren't overly "corporate" – meaningful and easy to attach to every day life (and everyone exhibits them)
    * Willingness to move on from toxic employees for the sake of culture preservation, even if those individuals have high skill/talent
    * Lots of great "outside events" – company parties, anniversaries, events hosted at HQ, and more
    * HR, in particular (known as "People Ops" here) has received a much-needed infusion of energy, trust, accountability, and momentum; they are making a huge impact

Cons

* Product is designed for maximum flexibility, which, although powerful, can lead to it being unwieldy
    * Some departments aren't properly staffed for the level of work they have
    * Pockets of the company still have the "shiny penny" syndrome of chasing opportunities that aren't a good fit, purely because those opps would expand our client roster
    * Although culture here is amazing, there is a broad tendency for departments to silo off and complain that other departments aren't lifting an equitable load (sometimes true, sometimes not)
    * Remnants of the company's older days are very political (representative of a time when they had to be to survive a chaotic environment); now that things are becoming "safer," that behavior can really stand out
    * Because of the fast pace, the average employee doesn't do a great job at expressing gratitude outward to others; those "happy moments" have a tendency to stay inside heads as the train rolls on

Advice to Management

* Take the time to tell your employees you appreciate them; it's a simple thing with enormous impact.
    * Play to your strengths; don't get sidetracked on deals that will expressly take away from the vision everyone is now behind.
    * Ask "How can I be helping you more?" more frequently.
    * Take the time to "walk the floors" and get to know other departments more; it'll help the silos come down.
    * When things go well (and they often do), be the ones to proactively show excitement; people respond when you are fired up!

7. "Strong culture of high energy, singularly focused individuals"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Four Winds Interactive full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

When you walk into the building, you immediately sense a palpable energy. This is a successful company driven by it's talented team of employees and you can feel that in the air. It's an motivating factor every day - you know those around you are high performers and that pushes you to pursue more professional growth and vital goals every moment you are in the office. The open environment spurns on that growth with its ease of collaboration and the company leverages its technology to assist in the attainment of your goals. Both fun and productive, FWI is a great place to work.

Cons

While both powerful and flexible, the software platform can sometimes be limiting to the most interesting opportunities. There are times those limits are pressed a little too far, putting undue stress on project teams as they fight to deliver on a challenging scope. There has been improvement here over the years and the groundwork has been laid to address these challenges, but as the company continues to grow in size and capability, they remain concerning in the present.

8. "Unknown Gem"

I have been working at Four Winds Interactive full-time

Pros

We have a fun, tech product. People are passionate about the work they do and the culture is friendly and welcoming. The company is the size where everyone can have a voice and an impact. Beautiful work space, great onsite gym, constantly improving benefits, lots of opportunity for growth.

Cons

The company is growing, and with growth comes growing pains. That said, it's an exciting time.

9. "Great culture, not great management"

I worked at Four Winds Interactive full-time

Pros

The people at FWI were great. Colleagues were friendly, hard-working and smart. And many maintained healthy lifestyles, which was easy to do with free on-site fitness classes. The work environment hit the perfect mix of casual and hardworking.

Cons

Management's obsession with KPIs was a source of stress to many employees. Employees do not have formal performance reviews.

Advice to Management

All employees should have a formal performance review annually. One reason why people enjoy working is to learn about themselves and to make improvements. Without a formal review, this kind of deep reflection does not happen.

10. "Great Company - has improved significantly in past few years."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Four Winds Interactive full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- The company is making significant efforts to improve benefits and increase engagement.
    - The people, for the most part, are great. Recent personnel changes have made a huge difference with respect to professionalism and work ethic.
    - The office is in a good location, uses the product effectively, and is good for collaboration.
    - My particular work group gets along very well and makes coming to work enjoyable.
    - Company has made strides to bring salaries closer to market rates (still work to be done though).
    - Work-Life Balance is great. There is always flexibility to balance personal needs as long as work gets taken care of.
    - I know employees that have had 4 or 5 different positions within FWI. FWI is great about promoting internally and helping people advance in their careers.

The difference between when I started here and now is night and day. There is still room to improve, but I believe the company is headed in the right direction from a business and employee satisfaction perspective.

Cons

- Salaries (at least for some positions) are still below market rate, but this has been improving each year. Some people get paid more than what they should while others don't even come close.
    - Benefits are still lacking, but this has also been improving each year.
    - Open work space has advantages, but it also has disadvantages. It can be difficult to concentrate on complicated tasks with all of the noise.

Advice to Management

Continue working on benefits and salaries or it will be difficult to compete in this industry and city.
    My review is based on my experience, but I know that there are others within the company that have vastly different experiences. I have heard complaints about favoritism and office politics that would frustrate me if that were my experience. Work to ensure that is not taking place as much as possible and seek to standardize the overall experience of working at FWI.