Four Winds Interactive Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 4, 2019

3.4
David Levin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work life balance is something that was a big consideration when I switched to this company" (in 9 reviews)

• "Great People, Great Product, Fun" (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "We're growing as a company, so there are some growing pains" (in 9 reviews)

• "The company has incurred a lot of technical debt because upper management has too often overruled the product and development teams" (in 7 reviews)

1. "Excellent place to work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Four Winds Interactive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent growth opportunities, good benefits, and superb working in environement.

Cons

There are no cons when working for Four Winds Interactive.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

"Great concept, poorly implemented"

Former Employee - Tech Support II/Team Lead in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Tech Support II/Team Lead in Denver, CO

I worked at Four Winds Interactive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unlimited PTO, workout space, intelligent coworkers

Cons

Rampant nepotism, doublespeak from management and executives.

Advice to Management

When saying you will stand with your employees, act in that manner. Numerous colleagues have been dismissed during medical leave and were not given reasonable accommodations.

"Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Four Winds Interactive full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company's culture strives to be the best company for its employees. It's obvious that leadership cares about the opinions and voices of employees, as they've instituted numerous changes as soon as anything negative is brought to light. Managers genuinely care about happiness and engagement, and Four Winds just has an overall fun vibe. The benefits are good, but with all things, can be improved. The people are amazing, smart, and quick to collaborate with each other. There is a lot of emphasis on flexibility, wellness, and fun events that bring everyone together.

Cons

Everyone works very hard, so burnout happens in certain departments. We're growing as a company, so there are some growing pains.

Advice to Management

Keep striving to be better. As a cohesive team, we can continue to grow this business. Don't stop listening to your employees - our collective voice should continue to matter as we look to the future.

"Great Company for Employees and Tech"

Current Employee - Middle Management in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Middle Management in Denver, CO

I have been working at Four Winds Interactive full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Huge focus on developing good employees and freedom to move into roles that are a better fit, or on a desired career path. Leader development programs. Lots of internal promotions and transfers.

Cool, flashy, interesting visual technology that the company believes is having a positive effect on customers.

Our customers are the biggest corporations in the world. Huge, successful, important customers want our stuff.

Cons

As a company, we move fast and take on things that are a stretch (potentially unreachable). This can lead to downstream difficulty with support, upgrades and maintenance. But, it is good if you like solving puzzles and be challenged.

Advice to Management

You've done great things in the last 3 years. Keep on this path, and you'll retain all the top talent you have.

Aug 20, 2018 – Director Talent Acquisition

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback!

"Lacking a culture of respect"

I worked at Four Winds Interactive full-time

Pros

• Four Winds has an excellent client roster and will allow you to interface with some great companies, so it can serve as a stepping stone for young, eager employees.
    • Depending on who you befriend, you can move up the ranks quickly and take on jobs that you might not have otherwise been qualified for.
    • In certain departments, you can take part in some of the "fun" initiatives that are designed to attract new talent and build a "cool" culture. These can be nice ways to break up the work day and meet new people.
    • The CEO is personable enough to try and get to know all employees at least on a superficial basis. It is nice that he makes an attempt to get to know everyone's name.
    • Certain departments have a very strong, respectful bond and those people seem to love coming to work.

Cons

As stated in previous reviews, there are some great people at Four Winds, but just like everywhere else, there are also some shady characters who are only out for themselves. They will throw their colleagues under the bus in a heartbeat if it will make them somehow look good or protect them if/when something potentially goes wrong. This kind of behavior is very much rewarded by senior leadership, who value a "hero mentality" and use every opportunity to recognize individuals, rather than the teams that worked together to achieve any success. If you make a mis-step, or have a colleague who chooses to spread gossip about you (because, sadly, gossip -- both personal and professional -- runs rampant among employees here, and it seems no one is safe or given the benefit of the doubt), you'll spend a lot of time and effort attempting to counteract it. As much as Four Winds is trying to build a strong, happy culture, they need to address the way they encourage employees to actually treat each other and work together vs. focusing on the occasional Friday beer keg or donut wall.
    As far as a product, the software is woefully out of date and has some very large roadblocks that are not always made clear to clients before they sign a contract, and leads to some pretty tough and uncomfortable conversations when the implementation team must manage expectations. There are some initiatives to strengthen the software, but enhancements take so long that it often feels like one step forward, two steps back. Competitors are advancing quickly and leadership takes a very reactionary approach, leading to changing/conflicting business goals and initiatives all the time.
    As far as work/life balance, I think overall Four Winds purports to do this very well -- people generally seem to work flexible schedules. However, there are some departments and roles in which this balance and flexibility are nearly obsolete. Depending on your role, you may be expected to work through nights and weekends and be available to address issues at any given time -- the urgency of these issues getting way overblown by management. They just switched to a "flexible" PTO plan, which they are advertising externally as "unlimited" but make very clear to employees that it is not truly unlimited and is instead "take what you need". Employees are allowed to take time off at the discretion of their manager, which, depending on your manager, may include a guilt trip or might not be approved at all based on business needs. There is no official record kept of days off anymore, but you can bet they are keeping track and will tout your time off (or lack thereof) if needed when it comes to recognition or career advancement.
    Overall, leadership truly puts clients' satisfaction -- no matter how difficult to attain and how unreasonable the asks -- at a much higher priority than employee welfare. I had colleagues who were inappropriately berated, deceived, and threatened by clients, and yet our leadership team bent over backwards to make sure that the clients' ridiculous demands were met, often punishing the employees further for "allowing" a situation to escalate. This is, again, a culture issue that is encouraged by the company in continuing to allow their employees to be abused and rewarding clients for this kind of behavior.
    Finally, the tangible benefits really leave a lot to be desired, as many others have stated. Many employees choose to purchase their own insurance as the coverage and premiums provided are so bad. Compensation is still not up to par with industry standards, and seems somewhat arbitrary.

Advice to Management

Take a harder look at the departments that have high turnover and compare them to the few that are strong and stable, and consider how the employees are treated differently. Value the employees who are quiet, dependable contributors, vs. rewarding those who make the most noise but leave a path of destruction in their wake. Similarly, I know clients (and therefore income) are the lifeblood of any organization, but consider the mental and emotional well-being of your employees as an even more important component, and stand behind them with respect. No one wants to fire a client, but stop rewarding bad behavior with free goods and services at the cost of your employees' welfare.

"Exceptional place to work."

I have been working at Four Winds Interactive full-time

Pros

Four Winds invests a lot of time and energy into taking care of its employees and customers. The culture is upbeat and the product line is exciting. It's an exceptional place to work, and I would definitely recommend it to a friend.

Cons

Can be a bit noisy if you're not used to a common working space.

"This place is amazing!"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Recruiter in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Recruiter in Denver, CO

I have been working at Four Winds Interactive full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Small company, which allows you to have a large, and tangible impact. Senior leadership is available and accessible, from the new CTO, to the CEO and original founder. Everyone who works here is extremely talented, and also genuinely nice. I have never worked for, or heard of a better employer!

Cons

I don't like working in downtown Denver, but that's mostly a personal thing. I wish there was more/better parking.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

May 7, 2018 – Director Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your feedback and we are so happy that you are happy :)

"Some great pros, some tough cons..."

I have been working at Four Winds Interactive full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Office: the new, swanky office is a nice, bright place to work.

Co-workers: most employees are great and bring a lot to the table in terms of work ethic and being fun to be around on the daily.

Flexible PTO: if used properly, this will be a really nice benefit. It was just implemented so it's hard to say how accepted it will be to take off, say, more than the 3 weeks "most people usually take". Work from home days are also something many people are allowed to take.

Work/life balance: I love that most people are encouraged to work 8-5 and to not work insane hours. I've been in workplaces where it's expected to work way more than 40 hours, even if you don't necessarily need to (just to keep up appearances).

Fun at work: we have Fun Fridays, product release parties, and other similar events to mingle with co-workers and to have a break from our desks. These are usually fun events and I appreciate the groups of volunteers who put them on.

Wellness: while I'd love to see $$ in our paychecks for a gym membership, it is nice there is a gym/classes/showers. Hopefully in the future that's something FWI will consider.

Cons

Sexual Harassment: unfortunately, I can personally vouch for sexual harassment in the workplace. Reporting it does nothing except to embarrass you and give the HR girls things to gossip about with literally everyone they know in AND out of the office. I would never go to HR with anything ever because it 100% does not stay confidential.

HR/People Opps: our relatively new VP of People Opps is really trying hard to cultivate a better culture for women, increase benefits, and help employees understand their value. Outside of her, it's hard to get responses from them...sometimes waiting weeks to hear back (or sometimes, never). They come and go as they please, usually coming in late and leaving early, and like someone else said...they seem to always be drinking wine and being loud/disruptive.

"Boys Club": can agree with other reviewers here that, even after a few new women in leadership roles, this is a total boys club. While I do think it's important to take breaks from time-to-time while on the job, the good ole' boys are constantly watching golf on their computers, playing on the putting greens located throughout the office, and talking about future golf trips. The same men keep getting promoted and keep getting perks.

Work ethic: while some employees work exceptionally hard here, it's not hard to walk around and point out the slackers. I've personally seen the same group of people over and over and over again doing things AT WORK such as taking naps on couches, watching Netflix on their laptops/iPads, browsing Facebook for hours, etc. It's SO frustrating knowing how hard so many work, then to see employees like this slacking off and always getting away with it. I'm too hard of a worker to stoop to slacking levels, but there are times I want to just because I know I can! We've been doing a fair amount of "fat trimming" but there are still plenty of people that I simply cannot grasp why they still have a high-paying job here.

Pay: the pay discrepancy is HUGE not only between us and competitors, but also between employees working in similar roles. I'd love to see women promoted more, paid more, and for the company in general to up the level of pay. The top dogs are getting paid huge sums of money, while those lower on the totem pole are often living paycheck-to-paycheck.

Parking: we have to pay a boatload for a monthly parking spot. It IS cheaper to obtain a spot through HR vs. paying for surface lots/meters, but I think we pay something like $90 out of pocket each month for a spot - OUCH! I know many similar companies that absolutely cover parking for their employees OR pay them to not park to encourage human-powered commuting.

Advice to Management

Take a good hard look at each and every one of your employees and try to understand what value they offer. If they offer a lot and "bring their best self" (like one of our company values states), do yourselves a favor and promote them/bump their pay. If they are napping/social media-ing all day/causing issues with co-workers, why are they still here? Why do they get a million and one chances to improve their performance? While the efforts from upper management to hear out those lower in the company are nice, try actually implementing suggestions vs. just *hearing* them out.

May 21, 2018 – Director Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We have taken some significant strides this past year to ensure a healthy work environment and we cannot correct concerns without employee... More

"Collaborative, Fun, and Fast Paced"

I have been working at Four Winds Interactive full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Financial transparency, exciting products, reasonable wages, good work/life balance, encourages wellness/fitness, TONS of growth opportunity for new hires

Cons

The health insurance is more than my previous employer, but FWI continues to make improvements to the overall compensation package.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. Keep the communication coming. Keep empowering your employees for success.

Apr 30, 2018 – Director Talent Acquisition

Thank you so much for your feedback!

"Still needs major help...."

I have been working at Four Winds Interactive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co workers are great. Flexible PTO is great. Potential to be a good company, but still driving over speed bumps at full speed after a few years here.

Cons

There have been 3 sexual harassment employees employed here. HR was notified and never did anything. One of them (also a registered sex offender) was let go but on the basis of "not hitting sales quota anymore", another let go because he was caught hacking into computers, the most recent they actually let him RESIGN instead of being let go due to his tenure with the company. To make it even worse, the communication that he had resigned was sent out in an email and they thanked him and sung his praise for his work here at the company, hiding the fact that it was for more serious past allegations. They're just trying to save their face now...

Advice to Management

I think it's great you're cleaning house of the garbage, but what makes you look more respectable is to stop singing praises for people that dont deserve it. The HR department is a joke, they spend more time gossiping than actually doing what they are supposed to do, and they are bias... part of the boy's club we all dismantled. Enough is enough!