FreshDirect Reviews

Updated May 10, 2021

3.4
FreshDirect CEO David McInerney
David McInerney
Pros
  • "Great Team and overall family feel work environment(in 16 reviews)

• "Fast paced, diversity, people, perks, Food discounts(in 15 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Favoritism, Long Hours, A little bit of lack of organization(in 13 reviews)

• "No 401K match, no stock options(in 8 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Featured Review

Great

Aug 1, 2020 - Human Resources in Bronx, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fast paced, diversity, people, perks, Food discounts

Cons

This is a good company to work.

Director of Talent Management

Thank you for taking time out of your day to provide feedback. Your input is valuable to how we keep employees like yourself fulfilled and motivated! We would love to hear from you with any other feedback you may have. You can send us an email at employeecommunications@freshdirect.com. Cheers to many more years at FreshDirect!

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great Company

Feb 28, 2021 - Supply Chain Planner in Bronx, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

All around support and great corporate environment

Cons

- no 401k match - career advancement is cloudy - employee activities - corporate goals -bonus

Director of Talent Management

Hi There, thank you for your feedback. Thank you for your positive review. We also acknowledge there are fundamental improvements FreshDirect stands to make to change your cons into pros- we're working on it! We're developing new career pathways and safe employee activities that will make our office even more enjoyable. If you have any suggestions on what you'd like see from us, send us a message at EmployeeCommunications@FreshDirect.com.

3. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

It's an okay job to at

May 10, 2021 - Order Completion Specialist in Bronx, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

the only pro's are the overtime potential and the 50% off at the fresh direct store

Cons

Extremely long hours upwards of 12-13 hours 5 days a week . Its back breaking work and trust me not a lot of people here last long . It takes a lot to get fired here because it rarely happens since most people quit in the first . Management isn't the best from top to bottom . So if you work here have a plan in mind this should be 6 month - 1 year type of job .

4. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Interesting place but struggling

May 10, 2021 - Finance Director
      Business Outlook

Pros

Interesting business with some strong employees Good product offering

Cons

Poor communication between departments Not scalable at least in it's current form. A lot of back end processes need improvement Not well controlled. Senior Management is mixed, a lot of the problems of scalability and inefficiency should be addressed but aren't prioritized. Merchandizing and the plant operations are always at odds and pointing the finger at each other and the transportation side of the business is a disaster. While it's a good business to be in I don't think the Company can streamline and scale processes effectively to make it really profitable.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great company to work at

Apr 26, 2021 - Demand Planner in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Employee Store, Work Culture, Diversity

Cons

none, a great company to work

6. 2.0
      Former Employee

Quick to Fire

Apr 13, 2021 - Personal Shopper in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Easy Task. Can use the bathroom then return to work. Nice cafeteria. Good benefits.

Cons

No sitting during 12 hour shifts. Favoritism between staff. They fired me because they said I smelled like marijuana but also told me I can smoke it on my free time. I was not under any influence. I worked in the chill department so I had to keep my jacket on. And I had a small clip in my pocket. Marijuana is legal in NY state and I was not smoking. But still was fired.

Director of Talent Management

Hello, and thank you for sharing your feedback with us. Although cannabis is now legal in the state of New York, employees whose roles require the use of heavy machinery or potentially dangerous tools are not permitted to use cannabis during working hours. FreshDirect prides itself in maintaining a safe workplace for all employees. We are happy to share further details at your request. You can send us a note to EmployeeCommunications@FreshDirect.com to continue the conversation. We hope to hear from you.

7. 4.0
      Former Employee

Good job for overnight

Apr 16, 2021 - Administrative Support
      Business Outlook

Pros

The team I worked with were helpful

Cons

Managers in adjacent departments are difficult to work with.

Director of Talent Management

Thank you for your feedback. We're glad you enjoyed our supportive environment. We are introducing initiatives to strengthen our cross-functional workings, with intentions to strengthen relationships between departments. Have any ideas you'd like to suggest? Send a note to EmployeeCommunications@FreshDirect.com to share your thoughts with an HR Associate. We hope to hear from you!

8. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 8 years

Not the best job

May 10, 2021 - Helper in Bronx, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good hrs in the winter time, if you looking for extra money

Cons

Small growth in the company and small pay rise.

9. 4.0
      Current Employee

Good company to work for as a stepping stone in your career ladder

Mar 15, 2021 - Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fluid working environment, Ever-changing landscape, Opportunity to obtain additional and enhance existing skills

Cons

Accountability for performance metrics is subpar, Scope of work or responsibilities constantly changing due to lack of accountability elsewhere.

Director of Talent Management

Thanks for taking the time to helping FreshDirect become an even better workplace. We're excited to be rolling out new initiatives that will address how we perform better as a team. You can send us a message at EmployeeCommunication@FreshDirect.com to share your suggestions. We look forward to hearing from you!

10. 5.0

A company with potential

Feb 1, 2021 - Human Resources
      Business Outlook

Pros

FreshDirect is a company that puts effort into their employees. Since I have been employed, I have had opportunities to develop myself in experience and also knowledge in areas that were new to me. Growth opportunities are provided for the employees in different programs such as the meat program, the Team Lead program and other job opportunities. The company encourages promotions from within. With COVID, the company focused on employee safety, from putting processes in place and adjusting our business model as needed.

Cons

Communication among teams can be improved.

Director of Talent Management

Thank you for your thoughtful feedback! We're so glad to know how FreshDirect has positively influenced your career growth. Communication is a huge part of what makes FreshDirect a preferred employer, and we acknowledge there's room for improvement. With the roll-out of our new internal communication app, FreshConnect, we aim to make company communication inclusive, accessible, and equitable to all. We encourage you to download the FreshConnect app from the Google Play or Apple App Store if you haven't done so already to receive updates about the company and your department. Feel free to email us at EmployeeCommunications@FreshDirect.com if you need assistance!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 323 Reviews