FreshWorks Studio Reviews

Former Employee

Overall its okay

Nov 6, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

- great learning opportunity - worked with amazing people - exposure to various kinds of projects and technology

Cons

- fast-paced and only care about the final product, don't care about quality - issue with resourcing - multiple projects and people always coming and leaving of projects - very low salary - work environment was getting toxic

9 people found this review helpful

Sales and Marketing

Based on the Pro's, we hope those would warrant more than a 1 star rating. Not many companies offer the learning opportunities, amazing people and exposure to different technologies you mentioned. We're happy to provide these things for our people and also happy that you appreciated them.You are correct, the work here is fast paced. That's part of the reason why there are great learning opportunities. You get to work on several projects, each with different goals, stakeholders, and requirements. By adapting to that you'll gain experience and learning that makes you a very valuable team member during your years at FreshWorks and beyond.We do care about the final product, which means that we absolutely care about quality as well. As a service company we need to meet or exceed our clients' expectations in every category (including quality) - otherwise we would not continue earning new business.Salaries are determined based on performance, experience, and an objective view of a team members' soft and hard workplace skills. We are confident that our compensation at FreshWorks is in line with the market.I'm sorry to hear this reviewer feels there was anything toxic about the work environment, that is not something we want anyone to feel. Everyone's experience in life is their own though, and we encourage you (the reader) to reach out to other people at FreshWorks Studio through LinkedIn or another platform to ask questions for yourself about what it's like here.

2. 4.0
    Current Employee

Great Company

Sep 5, 2016 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

Not really any cons that come to mind

1 person found this review helpful
  3. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great culture in a dynamic growing company striving to continually improve and do meaningful work.

Apr 18, 2021 - Software Developer in Victoria, BC
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Amazing culture. It’s a company that not only has values hanging on the wall but that truly lives its values. - Fast-paced environment (This might be a con for some people). - They have an open-door policy and engaged leadership team that listens and puts trust in their employees giving real emphasis to their team. - Meaningful and longer projects (They have been selecting projects carefully). Meaningful projects also mean meaningful work and work that have an impact. - Wide variety of projects. Great opportunity for growth and to expand your knowledge. - They continue to grow with structure and a great back office team to support that growth. - People! Really, they are great. FreshWorks got a multi-cultural and diverse team and they often promote team bonding events and initiatives. - You have autonomy! (There is no micromanagement here).

Cons

- Compensation tends to start slow and will be below what other product companies are paying. - It is a service-based company. You have lots of projects of all sizes and different quality requirements and context switching tend to be the norm. (Service-based companies are not for everyone). - Teams have a lot of responsibility and autonomy which is great but that comes without much senior engineering oversight. That gives great room for experienced developers to step up but can leave some teams missing more support. (In their defence, I see they are making an effort to address this).

4. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great place to grow in your carrer

Apr 12, 2021 - Android Developer
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Working with amazing people. - CEO open to listening to your needs. - Able to work on different styles of projects, from smaller ones to big ones. - Good balance work/life.

Cons

- Wage can start low, but you can easily grow in the company. - The overload can be challenging sometimes, but if your mindset is to grow everyday, this is the place for you.

Sales and Marketing

Thank you very much for the review. If you approach things with a growth mindset and strive for continuous improvement this is definitely the place for you. We will support that in any way possible.

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Amazing culture. Remarkable people. Meaningful work.

Mar 27, 2021 - Marketing and Communications Specialist in Victoria, BC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Can't say enough good words about this company. Leadership really cares about the entire team and works to improve based on employee feedback regularly. If you're looking to start meaningful work with a diverse group of driven and talented people, look no further!

Cons

If you don't like having fun, you may not like it here ;)

Sales and Marketing

Thank you very much for the review. We have a genuine desire to create the most fulfilling workplace possible, and it's great to hear that you appreciate our efforts to do so. Excellent idea on the warning; those who don't want to have some fun at work should probably look elsewhere.

6. 5.0
    Current Employee

A dynamic, growing company that lives its values, supports it's team, and continually improves

Jan 12, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

- A strong focus on the team, career paths, learning opportunities and promotions. - Continues to move upmarket and take on increasingly significant projects. In the last year, we've developed several health-tech and COVID related projects. - A strong relationship with the provincial government and becoming known as a go-to resource that delivers on its commitments on time and on budget. - No bureaucracy or politics, and a mentor program that replaces the notion of a traditional manager, and is focussed on every employee's development. - A fast-paced, dynamic, high-growth business environment. - Greenfield opportunities - as a services business we get a chance to start from scratch with every new project and are not bound by legacy code and technical debt. - A diverse team from different backgrounds, genders and ethnicities and a collaborative and inclusive environment.

Cons

- Some people might prefer more oversight/direction that a traditional Manager provides vs. our Mentors. - Supporting a young, growing team means growing pains as many people are in their first job out of school, though this is changing as we increasingly hire more experienced team members into the company. - Services (vs. a product company) isn't for everyone. For example, as a developer, while you get to work on lots of different things (which can be a Pro), you don't get to go as deep on one thing (which can be a Con for some).

3 people found this review helpful

Sales and Marketing

Wow... thank you for this - it paints a pretty clear picture of what you can expect at FreshWorks. Our core differentiator definitely is our people, and we will continue to invest in new and improved ways to create those opportunities for challenge, learning, and growth that you describe. We do indeed support a young and growing team and appreciate the acknowledgment of this. We also strive to be equally supportive of people that join us with many years of work experience already. Diversity is a huge strength for our team as a whole, and it comes in many forms - including years of industry experience. We believe it's all about finding a balance. The fast paced, dynamic, high growth environment and having some growing pains seem to come hand in hand. It's been that way here for years. Since we intend to keep growing, we expect to continue pushing the organization (and our team) out of the comfort zone. But we'll always be sure to have some fun along the way.

7. 2.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

To the outside it has everything a tech startup should

Jan 6, 2021 - Developer in Victoria, BC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Office closed for a week at xmas

Cons

From the outside looking in, it does look like Freshworks offers its employees everything you would want in a tech startup. Fact is Freshworks is not a start up anymore and they dont deliver on all of the shiny things they advertise and need to step up their game to keep staff. You can expect: mediocre compensation, no real time for onboarding, long hours, unless your management or friends with the founders you can forget transperency in communication, being pushed into taking on extra roles without extra compensation, be available all the time (day and night), when you work ot and someone fights for you to get compensated for it youll asked to *not* share ot pay info with your coworkers.

7 people found this review helpful

Sales and Marketing

We appreciate the opportunity to consider this feedback, so thank you. FreshWorks is not a tech startup, that is true. Over the course of the 6 years we've been in business, many things have changed. The internal operations and job roles when we were 25 people were different than today, when we now have over 75 team members. In the years to come, things will change more but we will always be striving for those changes to be positive improvements for our people, our team, and our organization. What we offer to our people in terms of compensation, benefits, work culture, and career development opportunities are all communicated through our careers page and throughout your interviews. Aligning our expectations with yours begins before anyone joins the team and is an ongoing process. Our onboarding process is ever-evolving, and has been deeply considered and then updated with each new person that joins and goes through it. You can read more about that at this blog - https://freshworks.io/6-tips-to-create-an-onboarding-process-from-scratch/. If you are considering working with FreshWorks and are curious about what kind of time you will be given for onboarding please ask us. We are project-based and on many of those projects, there will be days when long hours are required, or you are asked to be available in the evening. However this is not going to be the case for every week or every project, and we maintain a Time Off in Lieu policy for when it does. Any organization that stands the test of time will need to have people go above and beyond from time to time - whether it's a tech startup, a market giant like Google or Amazon, or anyone in between. You may be encouraged to take on extra roles, yes but that's how our promotion process goes. Last year 14 team members were promoted which recognized the new responsibilities they had taken on and reflected this in their title and compensation. We would hope that any organization would want to encourage its people to grow, build new skills, and not stifle their career development. As an organization, we are not perfect, and do not have everything perfectly planned out. Even for the things that we do have planned well something like COVID can come along and create any number of new problems. However, all the things about our current and future plans are transparently communicated through internal Slack channels, all-hands company check-ins, and through our mentorship program. If there's anything you want to know you are always encouraged to ask.

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Meaningful Work as Part of a Committed Team

Jul 31, 2020 - Business Analyst II in Victoria, BC
    Business Outlook

Pros

One of the biggest perks of working at FreshWorks is the impact of the projects you contribute to. The apps and sites that are made are used by people every day and make an impact in their lives. In some cases, this may as big as creating apps for the health care industry which could help save lives or even smaller-scale tools to make a group of people's workday just a bit more productive. It is very easy to have pride in your work at FreshWorks so even on tough days you can still look back and see you are making a difference. FreshWorks provides an incredible culture that balances being an organized and productive team while also open and modern. The company culture embraces variety and manages to hold strong bonds between employees while also supporting their individuality. This makes FreshWorks a very welcoming workplace for whatever sort of role you fill. The company is also committed to supporting its employee's career growth and maturing itself. FreshWorks follows a mentorship system where every employee regularly checks in with a senior member to discuss how they can develop in their role and extend further. FreshWorks is also committed to its own growth as an employer. Its policies, benefits, and general quality of work are consistently reviewed and changes are made to improve them. An example of this is how efficiently the company was able to transition to working from home with the covid-19 pandemic.

Cons

FreshWorks is committed to its growth but still has a lot of growing to do. Due to the company's relatively young age, there are still factors such as benefits, office planning, and resourcing. These have improved since my time starting with FreshWorks however there is still room to mature. The company is also continuously growing and taking on new projects. This can be exciting but can also result in a very fast-paced environment without a lot of downtime between new projects or needing to multi-task between projects. This can be stressful and difficult to manage for some. This can also result in working long hours at times and could lead to burning out for some people. Non-developer roles will frequently need to juggle multiple different responsibilities at once.

Sales and Marketing

We will absolutely take that advice, thank you. There are plans in the roadmap to continue improving our employee benefits, and every policy and workflow is evaluated for continuous improvement. If you think something can be improved - just let us know. Whether that's through your mentor, the "suggestion box" in Slack, or maybe just initiating the improvement yourself, we're always open to it. We're really happy you appreciate the impact of your work, and we appreciate you staying with us on our journey as we continue to mature. We are still relatively young and our practices around office planning or resourcing will continue to improve as they have over time already. Our people are our product and we are committed to investing in them for the long run.

9. 3.0
    Former Employee

Growing Company Still Figuring Itself Out

Feb 2, 2020 - Developer
    Business Outlook

Pros

The company has been growing quite fast which means there is lots of opportunity to work on different projects. As a developer this means exposure to different types of projects and the chance to work with many different technologies. FreshWorks is full of great people and you will have the chance to work with many of them.

Cons

The company is very young as far as experience is concerned. It is a great place to work when you are first starting your career, but does not provide much of an opportunity for people further in their career. The development team only has a few people with significant experience and exposure to them can be quite limited. This has become even more apparent lately with the loss of quite a number of the more senior developers. Compensation is lower than the industry standard in Victoria. I believe that this is one of the main reasons there are not many experienced developers. Overtime is made out to be a "choice," but is expected more often than one would like. Not much challenging work. The applications being created are pretty simple and are fairly similar from one project to then next.

3 people found this review helpful

Sales and Marketing

Thank you for the feedback. To all interested candidates reading this we are indeed working hard to continue recruiting more experienced developers and encourage you to ask us about it. Compensation here is not lower than industry standard, we have benchmarks and data from local sources to help assure us of that. The real challenge is that competition for senior developers and solutions specialists is tough in Victoria, and professionals with many years of experience don't tend to jump around every couple years (as is more common with people early in their career). This, combined with our hiring standards and culture fit requirements means that our potential pool of senior developers is quite small. That said, we are aggressively looking to hire more senior people and welcome any referrals or an application from anyone reading this. We are a services company, and you are right that many of the projects that we work on may not be innately challenging. However, we will always find a challenge for those who seek it which is getting easier as the number and complexity of the projects we are taking on increases all the time. You are right that the company is young, and that comes with challenges (but as many or more opportunities). We have only been able to bring on a larger proportion of senior people in the last year or so. Being young though, things change quickly here and if you are reading this more than a couple months after writing it's likely that we've brought on many more senior people and continued to develop our (currently in place) mentorship and career development programs.

10. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

This Probably isn't the Place for You

Feb 19, 2020 - Software Developer in Victoria, BC
    Business Outlook

Pros

- If you need a Visa to work in Canada, this is a legitimate way of getting one - If you're talented (particularly in TS/JS/React) but have no experience, they'll hire you - I met nice people while working there

Cons

- Those nice people that I met are leaving, so they probably won't be there when you arrive - The work is uninspired and tedious, so it's difficult to learn anything on the job - The motto may as well be "Over promise and under deliver," whether you're an employee or a client, you can count on being disappointed by unmet expectations - The policies make it very clear that the company does not trust its employees or respect their work/life balance - They do some weird things. I was asked to write a Glassdoor review as part of my onboarding. Gross. - They honestly don't make good software... - Whatever salary they hire you for, you're likely good for 20-50% more right now at some other startup in town

15 people found this review helpful

Sales and Marketing

There's a couple things to address here, and a few that we won't. But as always you (the reader) should reach out to people here and ask questions if there's something that concerns you. Diversity in the workplace including experienced professionals from other countries is part of what makes the team better, and as an immigrant founded company we are happy to support that opportunity for others. There are still plenty of nice people at FreshWorks, but we don't expect you to be good friends with everyone; theres over 70 people on the team. If there are any company policies you are interested in learning about please ask. For example as part of onboarding we will ask people to rate their interview process, not to rate the company.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 31 Reviews