Frontier Software Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Michael Howard

1. "Payroll Team is friendly"

I have been working at Frontier Software part-time

Pros

Payroll team is easy to work with and helpful

Cons

Work hours can be long, busy days it's hard to take a break

"A Few Months In A Place I Would Liken to a More Boring Hell"

Former Employee - Payroll Officer in Melbourne (Australia)
    Former Employee - Payroll Officer in Melbourne (Australia)

I worked at Frontier Software full-time

Pros

Pros: As a payroll officer, it was beneficial to work at Frontier Software because many payroll positions do require a sound knowledge of this software. I cheerfully took my new knowledge and this new skillset to another employer after suffering through just a couple of months at Frontier.

Cons

Prior experience does not influence the salary you’ll be offered on commencement – and that salary is often around 20% lower than the market rate. When I met the CEO, he immediately began boasting about his refusal to offer pay rises to employees, and spoke contemptuously of past employees who have dared to ask for a pay rise that would have brought their salaries up to the national standard. In the next breath he hurriedly insisted that “we’ve done our market research, and we’re actually paying our employees at the market rate.” Cognitive dissonance is a powerful tool for the guilt-ridden and the shame-faced: he’d already admitted – just seconds earlier – to paying employees less than the market rates. He and his management team stressed several times during my interview that “we want employees who genuinely want to work with our company, not employees who’re just after the money.” Hmm. We were apparently expected to crawl around the feet of the management team, screaming with gratitude for them and their decision to allow us to accept employment at Frontier! In my case, I was desperate for a job and I did think that working at Frontier would look good on my resume, but the following few months were impossible to bear. The overburdened team I was put into did not want me there. I was not provided with any training and whenever I asked for additional work I’d be turned away – nobody was interested in training a new member of staff. I had to beg for work so that I did not spend the entire day staring vacantly at my monitor! And the office itself was horrid – it was filthy. The entire time I was working there, I was not provided with the equipment I needed to complete the work I had been hired to complete. I didn’t even have two functioning monitors, which is essential for most payroll officers. I was glad to leave!

"Consultant"

Current Employee - Consultant

Pros

New Management have changed the direction of the Company in a positive way. Loyalty is rewarded and

Cons

Can get extremely hectic at certain times of the year

"Disappointing"

Former Employee - Consultant in Melbourne (Australia)
    Former Employee - Consultant in Melbourne (Australia)

I worked at Frontier Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very laid back and flexible work arrangement. Good career opportubities if you play your cards right and be very political to become a favorite person to the hanful of people who has a say to the senior management

Cons

1. Poor communication.
    2. Lack of support provided by the management
    3. No team environment
    4. False adeverisment about compnays culture
    5. Poor working condition. Very small kitchenette so you would end up habing lunch at your desk.
    6. Very small space to accomadate the big team.
    7. No proper escalation nor reporting lines.
    8. Very laid back approach and not not deliver whats been promised to clients or staff.
    9. Very low pay even if you have a good experience, will end up with a salary as en entry level.
    10. Not a performabce based environment

Advice to Management

Provide proper career guidance and promote based on performance

"Please Ask Yourself - How Desperate are you?"

Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Frontier Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This Company has nothing nice about them. You will do well if you like to have a drink (everyday)! Management will and does as little as possible to support you in learning the software, all the while protecting themselves.
    If you don't have an opinion or any self respect then this is the job for you. This is a prime example of a Company that isn't interested about your thoughts or feedback. They do not value their employees and that is reflected in the anitquated autocratic style of organisation.

Cons

Everyone is offered a pay cut to commence employment with them, and the chances of you ever gaining your previous remuneration back is slim to none.
    Management demoralise employees and treat them with disdain.
    Management or lack thereof is rife, no EQ with little to no people management skills
    HR department is made up of 3 PT's who aren't qualified in the discipline, needless to say no point going there.
    Current Management discredit and slur every ex employee - which speaks volumes about their character.
    Definitely not an employer of choice
    There are no employee benefits - This company has the opinion that you should be grateful that you have employment with them.
    Of course in every organisation you find nice colleagues however that's not enough reason to make you want to stay.

Advice to Management

Wake up

"Account Manager"

Pros

Good customer base as many are long term clients. This used to be a good place to work with a supportive group of people however new management has undermined the trust respect and integrity in this company.

Cons

Micro management and dictatorial management with no support down the line.. products are tired and development slow to market.. Blame culture but lots of responsibility so when it goes wrong they are quick to blame you not support you.

Advice to Management

Be more in touch with workers in the business and customers .There are too many silos and the communication style is old school and arrogant.. Respecting individuals will assist the business to grow.

8. "Business Manager"

Current Employee - Business Manager in Singapore (Singapore)
    Current Employee - Business Manager in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Frontier Software full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

1. Low stress working environment
    2. Most staff are helpful and friendly
    3. Most staff have been there for many years including myself.
    4. Free dining when the boss is in town.
    5. Excellent location

Cons

This company is like part of my family.

"Worst job I have had in the software industry in 20 years"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Melbourne (Australia)
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at Frontier Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. The company culture is informal and relaxed
    2. Low stress working environment
    3. Ok to walk out the door after 8 hours work
    4. Most staff are friendly and helpful
    5. Many staff have been there for many years, some over 20 years
    6. Once a month free pizza and booze

Cons

1. This is a private company driven by the owner and his wife who live in England
    2. Run like a personal fiefdom with sycophants grovelling
    3. In a time warp with ancient work practices
    2. A backlog of 12 months for enhancements/changes to core product
    3. Think waterfall methodology is the best thing since sliced bread
    4. No concept of continual improvement...if it ain't broke don't fix it
    7. Personal growth and development apart from the core product is lacking
    8. Staff think the product is brilliant when the users think it is not upto expectations (it is unfriendly and looks poor)
    9. Staff is top heavy with programmers who have zero backlog and light on with BA's and Testers who have unclearable backlogs
    10 Management think they do a fantastic job but in reality are frantically reactive to the owners wishes
    11 Wages are appallingly low for the industry, 20% plus less than market rates
    12 Annual reviews are a joke with a really long process and questionnaire that everyone hate, produces meaningless results that lead to zero changes but the managers can trick their checkbox

Advice to Management

1. Need to totally review management structure and remove incompetent deadwood
    2. Introduce modern day meaningful management practices
    3. The owner needs a reality check about what goes on, stop listening to the sycophants and yes men
    4. Forget the notion that the company is going to conquer the world and be around for 100 years, it won't, improve the product or die within 10 years
    5. Come up with a set of sincere current values for the company and educate the employees

10. "Company burden by legacy system and old fashioned management"

Pros

Flexible working conditions
    Excellent location
    Privately owned business
    No pressure work environment

Cons

Poor management, made worse by mangers who've been with the company too long.
    Lack of clear goals from the owners
    Below market pay
    Lack of focus on the long term

Advice to Management

Shake up the management structure and move on a few people.

11. "Working with Frontier Software"

Current Employee - Marketing Assistant in Burntwood, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Marketing Assistant in Burntwood, England (UK)

I have been working at Frontier Software part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Run by husband and wife team and a finance director who have the interests of employees at the core. They realise good employees make a good company.

Cons

Like any other job, we could all do with more money and working less hours!

Advice to Management

Continue to recognise and accept employees' skills and offer training in areas where skills are weak