Fuscoe Engineering Reviews | Glassdoor

4.4
Patrick R. Fuscoe

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"New full time hire after 1 week"

Current Employee - Network Administrator in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Network Administrator in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Fuscoe Engineering full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

From the first call to my first week everything has been amazing. The Culture is amazing and they take every step to make you feel at home and part of the Fuscoe family from day 1!

Cons

i can't think of anything they did not cover or take care of for me as a new hire....

Advice to Management

none. Management at Fuscoe has been fantastic!

2. "Genuine Culture & Growing Pains"

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Fuscoe Engineering full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people, vision, and projects make this a fun and rewarding place to work at:

(1) Pat Fuscoe is fearless leader. I haven’t seen many owners/CEO with such a deep involvement with their firm at his age. Pat has instilled a culture of transparency in the company which I appreciate. He is a talented business man AND engineer- something uncommon.

(2) The marketing, graphics, and PR teams are incredible. I honestly think that Fuscoe has the best visuals and presentations in the business. If nothing else, the aesthetic of the company exudes "skilled, friendly, genuine people." I have no doubt that the excessive backlog is driven by clients being wowed at the way we present ourselves.

(3) There are marquee projects. I’ve never seen a boring, run of the mill project here. Many managers have stated to me “we only go after cool, interesting stuff.” I have the most bragging rights among my friends/peers in terms of clients and neat projects.

Cons

As this company grows from small to medium, more heavy-handed enforcement of standards and project management are needed:

(1) Technology can be a pain. Crashing plotters and crashing copiers. Things that are small but still very annoying. VPN is OK but would like a more robust remote solution like VAULT.

(2) CAD standards and templates not as strictly enforced and used as they should be. Some teams and projects I’ve seen are a terrifying mess. There is no accountability or negative repercussions to ensure everyone is doing everything the same way. From mystery layers to one-off filing of important documents… it’s a huge waste of time looking for files and xrefs when coming on to a new project.

(3) Better role definition needed. This comment is more dependent on the team you land on, and some managers are great while others need work. Division of work and clear responsibilities for project elements need to be established. It’s ridiculous when I can’t find a point person for the utility design to coordinate with!

Advice to Management

If you want to keep growing, you need to adopt a strong culture of uniform operation. Audit how all managers are running their teams/projects and don't be afraid to step on toes. Some teams have weekly meetings, other do not. Some teams use company standards, other deviate heavily. Some teams are modeling whole sites in 3D, others are relegated to drafting and hand calcs. Even plan sets from team to team can look significantly different... it often feels more like a collection of silo'd practices (all generally good though) then it does a homogeneous company. This can only get worse as the company inventively grows larger.

"Desing Engineer"

Former Employee - Design Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Design Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Fuscoe Engineering full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Great work and life balance
    -Amazing company culture
    -Felt like a second family to me
    -Lots of learning opportunities
    -The work was challenging and rewarding

Cons

more benefits in passing the PE such as some sort of % increase in current salary

4. "BAD EXPERIENCE"

Former Employee - Land Surveyor in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Land Surveyor in Irvine, CA

I worked at Fuscoe Engineering full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Progressive ideas for the environmental issues facing Civil Engineering today.

Cons

Cliques abound, primarily made up of long tenured employees.

Complaint to management about chronic disrespectful behavior towards myself by other employees was deliberately ignored, resulting in their terrible behavior to continue unabated for 6 months.

Well intentioned company policies selectively enforced.

Advice to Management

Do something about the gossiping and backstabbing.

Sep 25, 2017 – HR Manager

Although this type of review is never desired, it this persons perception of their experience with us, which is unfortunate. We work hard to address any issues that are brought to our attention as... More

5. "Engineer"

I worked at Fuscoe Engineering full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Company, opportunity to innovate, & input is valued.

Cons

Work Life Balance may become an issue

Advice to Management

None

6. "Accounting"

Pros

The owner really cares about the company. All managers are eager to build better culture and are actually doing it. Great place to work and management is very approachable.

Cons

Some managers need to work on being more friendly and smile.

Thank you for your feedback!

7. "Great Interview Experience and On-Boarding Too!"

Current Employee - Associate Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Engineer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Fuscoe Engineering full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Welcoming staff, fast-paced yet substantial work environment, Interview process is smooth and enjoyable, Amazing Culture

Cons

Trial By Fire style training may be a bit jarring to new hires

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

Thank you for your feedback!

8. "Awesome Onboarding Process"

I have been working at Fuscoe Engineering full-time

Pros

The firm was well prepared for my arrival, the Welcome details put in place were extremely well thought out. The orientation procedure was outstanding, most likely the best on-board I've had in my career.

Cons

Not necessarily a con but there is a lot of information on the first day, a tad overwhelming but all pertinent. Introductions to fellow staff is necessary, a little dizzying because so many and the maze of office space to a newcomer, I don't really think there is a better way to do this, but it has to be done!

Advice to Management

Continue to be welcoming to new employees, it definitely extends a sense of excitement from the firm, a little goes a long way for newcomers and reinforces that the company is here for them and recognizes their value!

9. "Hiring Process"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer

I have been working at Fuscoe Engineering full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fantastic communication from HR Department on direction, next steps, scheduling and expectations moving forward. Spoke with actual persons during the process instead of automated email and phone systems. I was able to meet not only with HR staff, but senior leadership and fellow engineers. Overall, very satisfied.

Cons

I didn't experience anything negative during my hiring process.

10. "Great Company!"

Current Employee - Water Resources in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Water Resources in Irvine, CA

Pros

This is a great company with a strong, positive culture. The people that work here are amazing - it really feels like a second family. The door is always open with upper management making it easy to learn and grow from experienced individuals. Training is provided for pretty much anything and management promotes individual growth and upward movement. No wonder so many people have been here for 10+ years! The company is also making a strong effort to stay up to date with the up and coming "millennial" culture and staying on top of growing trends within the industry.

Cons

There aren't many cons but I would suggest that it would be great to have sick time and vacation time lumped into general "PTO".

Advice to Management

HR and management is one of the strengths of the company. They really put time in to take care of their people. Great to have all the transparency in our quarterly company wide meetings. Keep up the great work!