Galvanize Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Al Rosabal
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "It's a wonderful space and you can meet great people" (in 5 reviews)

• "Galvanize is a great company with a great community and a great place to work" (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "People are dropping like flies around Galvanize and there is absolutely no room for growth" (in 4 reviews)

• "The Executive Leadership Team is somewhat out of touch with what is going on at the ground floor" (in 3 reviews)

"Grow, Engage, Learn"

I have been working at Galvanize full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work is strenuous and rewarding. You will learn from day 1 because no one here has an easy job. The tough days are made up for by seeing students transform their careers and be able to provide for themselves and their families.

The people are stellar and brilliant and really care about what they do.

The campuses are fantastic. Gotta catch 'em all.

The programs are outstanding. It really does make our students into software engineers and data scientists. The transformation is incredible.

Cons

The sins of the past. Our former executive team burned through all of our cash. Things were turbulent for awhile, but we are getting on a good path again. Communications are improving, and the new management team is much improved, providing the company with new paths to forge forward and be the leader in accelerated education.

Advice to Management

Transparency, transparency, transparency. Let the teams know how the company is performing and how each individual person contributes to the mission and profitability. You cannot over-communicate this message.

2. "Lacked Transparency"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Galvanize full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible - great access to people, companies and technology.

Cons

Considering the space, the team wasn't very entrepreneurial. Lack of transparency around the state of the business.

Advice to Management

Be transparent - especially when failing to mention that the CEO has given the location 90 days to turn it around before celiminating head count.

"Hectic Work Environment with Little Support"

Former Employee - Lead Instructor in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Lead Instructor in Denver, CO

I worked at Galvanize full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Teaching students is rewarding work. Instructional team is really dedicated, smart, and fun.

Cons

The executive board of Galvanize cares very little about the education department. From what I could tell, the entire education department has been cut until it can no longer function and nobody is happy. I think maybe a single time a member of the executive team visited the education department and saw students.

Be prepared to be a therapist, financial adviser, and life coach for many of the students when their family members die, lives take a tragic turn, or other various struggles as Galvanize refuses to provide one.

Don't expect any employer 401k contributions or any meaningful benefits outside of expensive health insurance and PTO.

Advice to Management

Executive team: At least act like you care.

"Amazing company culture and work environment"

Current Employee - Managing Lead Instructor in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Managing Lead Instructor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Galvanize full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Best company culture that I've ever helped to build and also be a part of. Work is demanding at time but completely worth it. Great work environment but do not apply if you do not have a service mentality. You have to care about people in order to thrive here, then it will be very rewarding.

Cons

Space will eventually become an issue.

"Event Coordinator"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Galvanize part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love working here. It is a fun environment with a lot of motivated, creative people. Every event is different so it is never boring.

Cons

Some events run late and then you have to stay late as well.

"Irresponsible Growth; Students Last Priority"

I worked at Galvanize full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

At the beginning, Galvanize was the company you wanted to be at. They had a growth mindset, employees felt valued, and we all believed in the idea that we were changing education for the better. You were underpaid, but there was a promise of transparency and protection for valued employees.

Cons

Galvanize has been growing grossly irresponsibly. The founders have all jumped ship in one way or another after the frivolous spending and hiring resulted in being unable to pay bills for months, multiple rounds of layoffs, and cut corners that no longer match the original mission. Behind closed doors, leadership could not care less about their students (the main customer focus from the beginning) and have even proposed ideas that are essentially illegal in education, in addition to being morally inappropriate. There are zero roles solely focused on student mental health, support, and overall consumer protection.

The original team that built the company from the ground up were never taken care of financially, after promises that the company valued them, and most have left or have been looking for other work since mid-2017. The company culture is now toxic and everyone is on edge. To save money, the company has tried to combine upwards of 4 jobs into one, unpaid and overworked role. Multiple former employees are continuously harassed by collection agencies because Galvanize cannot pay their bills.

Run away from this company. HR is a total joke. It's not the startup that values ideas that it once was. It's just a matter of time before they are forced to close their doors and by then, far too many people will have been taken advantage of; students, employees, and members alike. Anyone with integrity no longer works there or is trying to get out.

Advice to Management

Be more forward with your employees about the health of the company. Dropping f-bombs at all hands meetings doesn't make you cool or instill confidence. Stop wasting your time hating on other companies (which also adds to a toxic environment). Your product is NOT unique so time to open your eyes and make some changes. Good luck selling for parts and paying your debts.

"Overall good."

I worked at Galvanize full-time

Pros

It's a wonderful space and you can meet great people.

Cons

Not very stable when it comes to leadership.

Advice to Management

Keep improving your leadership.

"Lot of changes in the past year"

I have been working at Galvanize full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Culture of learning and growing (supports experimentation)
    Flexible work schedule
    Co-workers are supportive and collaborate well together

Cons

Flat organization
    lot of leadership changes

Advice to Management

Hopeful the new CEO will turn things around.

"Used to be a great place to work..."

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Galvanize full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I got to work with some smart and wonderful people

Cons

People are dropping like flies around Galvanize and there is absolutely no room for growth.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to your staff or you're going to lose all of your employees

"I love my job!"

I have been working at Galvanize full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of smart, kind, and passionate people to work with. Dog friendly offices. Cafe and bar on-site. Awesome new CEO. Unlimited vacation time. Flexible schedule.

Cons

Lean teams mean very long hours for some of us. Hopefully when we get more profitable, the hard work will pay off. I think this is an exciting time to be a part of the company.

Advice to Management

Beef up teams before they burn out. Try to centralize the culture and give kudos where due.