Galvanize Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Jim Deters

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Many of the people who work here are great (in 4 reviews)

• It's a wonderful space and you can meet great people (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • People are dropping like flies around Galvanize and there is absolutely no room for growth (in 4 reviews)

• Executive leadership interference with the day to day (in 3 reviews)

1. "Data Science Student"

I have been working at Galvanize part-time

Pros

Great staff/curriculum and an awesome tech community.

Cons

Non I can think of from the top of my head.

2. "Amazing company culture and work environment"

Current Employee - Managing Lead Instructor in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Managing Lead Instructor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Galvanize full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Best company culture that I've ever helped to build and also be a part of. Work is demanding at time but completely worth it. Great work environment but do not apply if you do not have a service mentality. You have to care about people in order to thrive here, then it will be very rewarding.

Cons

Space will eventually become an issue.

3. "Event Coordinator"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Galvanize part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love working here. It is a fun environment with a lot of motivated, creative people. Every event is different so it is never boring.

Cons

Some events run late and then you have to stay late as well.

"Once a gem, now a total bust"

Former Employee - Web Developer Student in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Web Developer Student in Denver, CO

I worked at Galvanize full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was a WD student at Galvanize in Denver during the first half of 2017. It was everything I thought it could be and I got a great job afterwards. The leadership / instructors at the time were top notch.

Cons

It has been disturbing hearing of the mass-exodus occurring at Galvanize from friends within the program and friends working there now. The leadership is awful and is actively trying to pump out as many cohorts as they can without enough instructors to guide them. Students are now basically responsible for teaching themselves the material. Sounds to me like a very expensive study hall.

Advice to Management

Board members, CEO, are you listening? Get back to doing what you used to do best: providing eager students with a top notch education from top notch instructors in a well-organized manner. You might be profiting in the short-term with all the cohorts you pump out at once, but you are quickly tainting the Galvanize name. You are destroying your brand.

"Irresponsible Growth; Students Last Priority"

I worked at Galvanize full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

At the beginning, Galvanize was the company you wanted to be at. They had a growth mindset, employees felt valued, and we all believed in the idea that we were changing education for the better. You were underpaid, but there was a promise of transparency and protection for valued employees.

Cons

Galvanize has been growing grossly irresponsibly. The founders have all jumped ship in one way or another after the frivolous spending and hiring resulted in being unable to pay bills for months, multiple rounds of layoffs, and cut corners that no longer match the original mission. Behind closed doors, leadership could not care less about their students (the main customer focus from the beginning) and have even proposed ideas that are essentially illegal in education, in addition to being morally inappropriate. There are zero roles solely focused on student mental health, support, and overall consumer protection.

The original team that built the company from the ground up were never taken care of financially, after promises that the company valued them, and most have left or have been looking for other work since mid-2017. The company culture is now toxic and everyone is on edge. To save money, the company has tried to combine upwards of 4 jobs into one, unpaid and overworked role. Multiple former employees are continuously harassed by collection agencies because Galvanize cannot pay their bills.

Run away from this company. HR is a total joke. It's not the startup that values ideas that it once was. It's just a matter of time before they are forced to close their doors and by then, far too many people will have been taken advantage of; students, employees, and members alike. Anyone with integrity no longer works there or is trying to get out.

Advice to Management

Be more forward with your employees about the health of the company. Dropping f-bombs at all hands meetings doesn't make you cool or instill confidence. Stop wasting your time hating on other companies (which also adds to a toxic environment). Your product is NOT unique so time to open your eyes and make some changes. Good luck selling for parts and paying your debts.

"Overall good."

I worked at Galvanize full-time

Pros

It's a wonderful space and you can meet great people.

Cons

Not very stable when it comes to leadership.

Advice to Management

Keep improving your leadership.

"Lot of changes in the past year"

I have been working at Galvanize full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Culture of learning and growing (supports experimentation)
    Flexible work schedule
    Co-workers are supportive and collaborate well together

Cons

Flat organization
    lot of leadership changes

Advice to Management

Hopeful the new CEO will turn things around.

"I love my job!"

I have been working at Galvanize full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of smart, kind, and passionate people to work with. Dog friendly offices. Cafe and bar on-site. Awesome new CEO. Unlimited vacation time. Flexible schedule.

Cons

Lean teams mean very long hours for some of us. Hopefully when we get more profitable, the hard work will pay off. I think this is an exciting time to be a part of the company.

Advice to Management

Beef up teams before they burn out. Try to centralize the culture and give kudos where due.

"Used to be a great place to work..."

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Galvanize full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I got to work with some smart and wonderful people

Cons

People are dropping like flies around Galvanize and there is absolutely no room for growth.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to your staff or you're going to lose all of your employees

"Great culture - iffy leadership"

I worked at Galvanize full-time (More than a year)

Pros

culture was great, the people on the ground really cared about student experience and the team that I worked with had some fantastic site-wide leadership. Best in the company from all of my interactions

Cons

Leadership was lost - multiple unnecessary layoffs that could have been avoided if the campus group was at least consulted

Advice to Management

Put the ownership back on the campus and let them do what they do best