Genapsys Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2020

Genapsys Founder and CEO Hesaam Esfandyarpour
Hesaam Esfandyarpour
  1. Featured Review

"Good work, Great people, Best mission"

Current Employee - Scientist in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Genapsys full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I have been with the company for a few years. I think the level of research and the caliber of work is as good as it gets. The people are very friendly and always go out of their way to help each other out. Rarely have I seen this many smart people work so well together, focused and determined. The mission is great too, enabling researchers to have uncompromised access to DNA sequencing! Can't get much better than that. Very good benefits, free lunch, amazing office, happy hours, flexible hours, etc. People are recognized for the their work.

Cons

Work load gets challenging at times, but that's a startup thing.

January 31, 2020Director, People and Culture

Thanks very much for your feedback and review; we really appreciate it, and for the contribution you are making to GenapSys!

2. "Great company with really amazing technology and dedicated team."

Current Employee - Senior Scientist

I have been working at Genapsys full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Very dedicated, driven and nice team Good pay and great benefits Flexible hours

Cons

We need more people as we are expanding

August 3, 2020Director, People and Culture

We really appreciate you sharing your experience and feedback with us. We are especially happy to hear you enjoy working with your team. Your point about needing more people is well taken. Thank you for being a part of GenapSys and for your impact.

"I made a big mistake joining."

1.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Genapsys full-time

Pros

There are some good people here. Free lunch.

Cons

Management doesn't care one iota about employees', health, family life, etc. CEO stated people need to work 100 times as hard as at companies with 100 times as many workers, insults people for taking breaks even on long workdays, etc. Disrespectful treatment is commonplace. I easily provided more than double the value I was paid for and received no bonus, and heard many complain about not getting bonuses. I worked very hard and got very little credit. It was endemic. Lying and misleading are common. Break room is empty. Bonus is a mirage. Management plays favorites and is not nice. Very miserly. Raises and bonuses barely exist. There is a lot of secrecy. I did myself no favors by working here. I regret it. Management focuses way more on critiques than praise and it depresses people. My advice to anyone who must work here is ask for whatever bonus they offer as part of salary, because it's the only way you'll probably get it. Management pretends to be changing things that are obvious, but it's been happening for years and they won't change. I wouldn't recommend anyone I care about work here. It will drain your soul and you will regret it. I enjoyed every other job I had and made a big mistake trusting these people. Just say no!

February 3, 2020Director, People and Culture

Thanks for the review, and for your service to GenapSys. We are sorry to hear that you didn't have a good experience here. We hope you find the environment you're looking for in a company, and wish you the best of luck in your next endeavor. For those reading, I'll share that GenapSys is not the right place for everyone. We do move incredibly fast - things change rapidly, we have a bias for action, and constant improvement. Our team members are here because they get meaning out of doing good work, solving challenging problems, and working with a group of really smart yet humble people to drive change. At the end of the day, we do operate quickly and have demanding expectations of both the speed and quality of work that people deliver. And during the annual performance review process, if an employee's performance is ranked as 'below expectations' they are not eligible for the bonus payout.

4. "Great company with a great mission"

Current Employee - Administrative in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Genapsys full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is a great company with a great mission! Everyone here is super smart and talented. They have great perks; like free lunches and snacks, happy hours, fancy tea, summer picnic and cool swags. The view and location of this office is amazing as well. Very focus company with an exciting product that will change the world. Everyone here is so dedicated!

Cons

Hours here can be long, however they are flexible as well

January 31, 2020Director, People and Culture

5. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Full Time in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Genapsys full-time for more than a year

Pros

A lot to learn and put in your past experience. Free lunches, Fancy Tea, and Happy hours. The product is great.

Cons

Work Life Balance Pace of work may increase time to time.

"Great company & interesting technology"

Current Employee - Senior Manufacturing Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Genapsys full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have been working at Genapsys for less than a year, but I give it high marks. A lot of the reviews on here seem more negative than they should be in my opinion. Yes, things change quickly and there is a lot of work to do... but it's a startup! My manager is excellent, I am challenged with the work I am doing, and I am learning more and more every day.

Cons

The work hours can be long and the direction can change drastically and frequently, but again, it's a startup! I think that's part of the package.

May 30, 2019Director, People, Culture & HR

Thanks so much for your review and feedback, and for the contributions you and your colleagues are making to GenapSys. Happy to hear that your overall experience has been positive. Your feedback is well taken and if we can do anything to make this a five-star experience for you, please do let me know - radhika@genapsys.com

7. "Great job"

Former Employee - Research Scientist in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Genapsys full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great management and work environment

Cons

Tough to move ahead at this company

"Toxic culture! Terrible CEO! Misleading facade!"

1.0
    Former Employee - Bioinformatician

I worked at Genapsys full-time for more than a year

Pros

There is no clear direction, so you can spend time learning whatever you like as the CEO wouldn't even understand if it's in line with company direction.

Cons

Awfully rude CEO who is a narcissist and a liar. They hire foreign workers with the promise of sponsorship and they abuse these poor workers without sponsoring them for years! Everyone is angry and doubtful of their colleagues! Modern day slavery true to the word.

April 8, 2019Director, People, Culture & HR

Thank you for taking time to leave a review; we value hearing what's going well and what we can improve upon. I'm genuinely sorry to hear about your experience at GenapSys. What I do know is that our team is deeply committed to achieving our mission/making impact in the world. Specifically, regarding immigration support, it might be helpful to know that we have a very clear immigration policy, and we discuss that with all potential hires before they accept the offer. If you are comfortable reaching out, I would like to learn more about your perceptions and experience: radhika@genapsys.com

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Genapsys full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I love my job here. It is a fast-paced startup, where you get to work on something groundbreaking with a highly talented, multi-disciplinary team. Friendly and helpful colleagues that are motivated to advance the mission. Your contribution, especially if you work hard, is appreciated and valued, regardless of your title or level in the organization. The new HR team has brought about some much-needed enhancements to the culture. Great location, with a shuttle from Caltrain and a beautiful view of the water.

Cons

Make the compensation more in line with the market Offer a 401k match

January 23, 2019Director, People, Culture & HR

Thanks so much for your review; we appreciate your feedback. We upgraded our benefits recently and are in the process of reviewing the total compensation, and some of the other issues that you highlight. Thanks for your service to GenapSys and if you have additional feedback, please reach out to us: hr@genapsys.com

"New player in the field of NGS"

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Genapsys full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Great mission to enable low cost Gene sequencing - Multi-disciplinary projects with a lot of potentials for innovation - Very smart and friendly colleagues in different fields - Flexible time - Startup envirement with great career growth potential - Excellent office location with a waterfront view - Daily lunch, weekly tea time, happy hours and many other social events

Cons

- Limited time to explore different solutions for each problem

December 5, 2018Director, People, Culture & HR

Thank you for taking the time to write this review! We appreciate your input and are happy to hear you’re enjoying your experience here. Indeed, working in a startup with an ambitious vision is like building a car while we are driving it! We are definitely committed to hiring great talent. Thank you again for your feedback and for all that you do.

Found 41 reviews